Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

BombiTheZombie posted:

Only got the second one, but im guessing its complete every single class-based penance in the game. Certain ones like "get 4 headshot kills in the span of one volley fire" or "complete x amount of maps" have several steps to them with just increasing numbers.

The 100 enemy charge is completely doable, but you have to have a party on board.

We did it in a meme group of 4 ogryns, third difficulty + endless hordes on the smelter map. During the holdout part of the finale we grouped up around the console for a minute as the dudes spawned in, then as a group we used shoves to herd the group up the stairs to the left (as you first walked into the room). And backed up onto the elevated catwalk. Back yourself up to the pair of boxes that obstruct movement. Give the enemies time to pile in and your ogryns can then charge through one by one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Magitek posted:

This is the problem. It’s not usually a question of “too hard” rather than “too tedious and arbitrarily makes the game less fun”. Like the “Complete 6 secondary objectives on [particular map]”. First off, doing the same map 6 times when the full game will have 13 is pretty lame. It basically eliminates Quickplay as a preferred play method. Second, getting all 3 scriptures is definitely not always going to happen in pugs, and completing with 2 grims is legitimately difficult the way they’re implemented and reduce wounds. So you’re going to require more than 6 runs on that map, realistically. Running the same map over and over is the opposite of what the game devs should be encouraging.

Also, who is averaging 20 minutes per game in 3* Endless Horde pugs? 25+ minutes is the norm I’ve found. That 25 mission weekly adds up to 12 hours, which is a heck of a lot for one character. Compare these to tasks like “Kill 1000 Dregs/Scrabs with Melee/Ranged”, which are trivial.

I’d be fine with spending money rerolling, but currently you can only reroll a particular contract task three times. Attempting a fourth time will provide the expected prompts but won’t actually do anything if you click “Accept”. I really hope they change something about these.
The "complete secondary objectives on [map]" ones are so confusing too because it feels like it was designed without remembering how they implemented the mission board. Like if you wanted to try and knock it out you:
1) Have to have said map in the current rotation
2) Have the map spawn with a secondary objective active
3) Have the map spawn spawn on a difficulty you can handle

Every time I've given one of these an earnest try I've gotten maybe 1 completion over a dozen+ hours and just given up and rerolled.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I have the most trouble with "complete X on Y map" because the map name is "Water Purifier" to any sane person, not "Vector 659/2"

I get that eventually several missions will end up in the same location and it will make completing the objective easier but is it so hard to call the map "Smelting Zone" or "Rail Station"

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Zephro posted:

Since this is a Tide megathread, I have a question about Vermintide 2!

Is there any way to stop bots essentially being snacks on legs for a Chaos Spawn? I find that on the higher difficulties they do OK against other bosses. But they seem unable to ever dodge the grab attack, so they just feed Spawns health to the point where they become unkillable. I know you can stagger it with an ult or a bomb but when there's only one human player that feels pretty unreliable.

Do any of the better bots mods improve things?

Yes, there is a sanctioned mod that improves their AI significantly though I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head. I'm sure it's the most popular one. They can still get grabbed by a chaos spawn if they are swarmed or cornered but it makes them much better at protecting themselves.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

they really need to fix this stuff cause everyone will go for it and it'll make the game boooring.

If chaos warriors didn't count as "human sized" in vermintide, I have to assume it's a bug that Ogyn count as human sized.

I am hoping they rework the weekly missions because they need way too much time investment (25 missions COMPLETED, not just played, you need to win), or just plain RNG to actually be able to make progress towards them because you aren't playing during the hours the missions rotate to the ones you need.

And that's without even getting into doing it for multiple characters.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The beta hats are giving me flashbacks to statistics in grad school...

I'm bummed I won't be able to take my afternoon wfh break of killing heretics but I'm excited to see what broken poo poo pops up tomorrow!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

If you get frustrated with teams at launch just recite the sacred mantra

"At least I'm not playing with Gamepass pubs"

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'd be okay with like 25 wins / grims, ect as objectives if it was account wide and it was a global currency. Having to hammer that out on multiple characters or giving up and having a 'main' from week to week is kind of lame.

The ones that are just like "kill 1000 scavs with ranged" are easy, it just happens naturally through normal play no matter what you're doing or if you lose.

Grimoirs are brutal and I tend to just reroll them. The risk to reward generally isn't worth it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Insert name here posted:

The "complete secondary objectives on [map]" ones are so confusing too because it feels like it was designed without remembering how they implemented the mission board. Like if you wanted to try and knock it out you:
1) Have to have said map in the current rotation
2) Have the map spawn with a secondary objective active
3) Have the map spawn spawn on a difficulty you can handle

Every time I've given one of these an earnest try I've gotten maybe 1 completion over a dozen+ hours and just given up and rerolled.

Tying difficulty to specific, rotating missions was a really dumb decision. Maps/modifier availability on a rotation is one thing, but sometimes there's not even a single Heresy mission available. Just let me pick one of the missions and set my own difficulty, exactly like DRG where the mission board design is bassically cribbed from.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fishstick posted:

Tying difficulty to specific, rotating missions was a really dumb decision. Maps/modifier availability on a rotation is one thing, but sometimes there's not even a single Heresy mission available. Just let me pick one of the missions and set my own difficulty, exactly like DRG where the mission board design is bassically cribbed from.

Maybe make a middle ground where you can always play whatever mission / difficulty you want, but it has no / random modifiers and no secondary objectives unless you pull from the mission board? That way if you want the bonus money/exp/objectives you pull job board roulette, but if you want to play something specific that isn't locked out to you? That or make the random chance to get drops only happen on the job board, or step job board items up a rarity.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Gah, 26 hours without any purging?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fishstick posted:

My conspiracy theory is that it's an artifical way to stop people from farming grims off of level 1 missions for challenges.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

CuddleCryptid posted:

My conspiracy theory is that it's an artifical way to stop people from farming grims off of level 1 missions for challenges.
Which would be funny because secondary objectives can't even spawn on difficulty 1 missions.

E: oh wait I see what you're saying nvm

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played a couple games last night and it really is frustrating when you finish a match and the only level on the map for the difficulty you want to do is the same map you just finished. I've tried doing Quickplay in those cases but it seems to just pick the one on the map anyway. Sometimes I don't want to do a harder difficulty or want one with Scriptures instead of Grims and it's kinda deflating loading into the same map again because there's no other options.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If everyone in the preorder gets a hat, how am I supposed to flex my already having hats on the previously hatless

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If everyone in the preorder gets a hat, how am I supposed to flex my already having hats on the previously hatless

Maybe the old hats are fancier. The fancier the hat, the more you can flex!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Your hats were already made meaningless by the operative cosmetics shop. It don’t matter, ain’t none of it matter.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Kaysette posted:

The beta hats are giving me flashbacks to statistics in grad school...

I'm bummed I won't be able to take my afternoon wfh break of killing heretics but I'm excited to see what broken poo poo pops up tomorrow!

ive been playing deeprock today and fatshark should really just crib everything from that game. the assignment system is 10x better than the dumb pick up 12 things and do 25 missions stuff.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

explosivo posted:

I played a couple games last night and it really is frustrating when you finish a match and the only level on the map for the difficulty you want to do is the same map you just finished. I've tried doing Quickplay in those cases but it seems to just pick the one on the map anyway. Sometimes I don't want to do a harder difficulty or want one with Scriptures instead of Grims and it's kinda deflating loading into the same map again because there's no other options.

This one is definitely high on my list as well. It's bad enough there's a fairly limited number of maps, but they really need to change things up so that your chance of getting the same map twice in a row is lessened.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Has there been any info on which map modifiers we can expect other than endless/fewer hordes, power outage and that fog one that was kinda awful?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

This one is definitely high on my list as well. It's bad enough there's a fairly limited number of maps, but they really need to change things up so that your chance of getting the same map twice in a row is lessened.

I really don't understand why they can't make secondary objectives more fun to spice the maps up. Just to throw in a effort free example, you could have a semi-randomly located terminal to hack to 'steal enemy data' or whatever, and have to fight off 1-2 waves while waiting for the hack. It's already a system in-game but would make the maps feel more interesting because you'd be fighting in different places than normal.

e: also didn't Left4dead 2 close and open some paths sometimes? you could easily spice stuff up by closing off a normal route by having 'nurgle rot' over the door and making the team go the long way round. I like Darktide but it just feels sooo lazy sometimes.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 29, 2022

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Has there been any info on which map modifiers we can expect other than endless/fewer hordes, power outage and that fog one that was kinda awful?

I think those are gonna be it for launch unfortunately.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Orv posted:

I think those are gonna be it for launch unfortunately.

drat, that's a shame. Was looking forward to seeing what they'd do with it considering they seemed to be hyping it up.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

I really don't understand why they can't make secondary objectives more fun to spice the maps up. Just to throw in a effort free example, you could have a semi-randomly located terminal to hack to 'steal enemy data' or whatever, and have to fight off 1-2 waves while waiting for the hack. It's already a system in-game but would make the maps feel more interesting because you'd be fighting in different places than normal.

Yeah there's a lot of parts of maps that'd be interesting to have to stop and fight in for a bit but you just blow past them and I've never seen enemies randomly spawning in them. Hopefully they do add some more of the events or have more sub missions taking place in the same levels that have you going to or fighting in those bits.

They talked a big game about the modifiers and slight randomness to the routes before the beta and said they had loads planned but then only had 4 of the former in the beta. I quite liked the change of pace the dark and fog ones had but they're pretty minor ultimately. Similarly I've only really noticed the random routes in the forge level where I genuinely think we took a completely different route the different times we've done it, admittedly it is the map I've played the least so might just be lack of familiarity making me think that though.

There's definitely some stuff "planned" in that vein at least, in the desert ruins map they allowed access to over the weekend you can see elevator/level transition doors that you never go through, possibly those have will be enabled in future updates and when you go in to the mission you might not know exactly which routes you're going to be taking to get to the objective maybe. Course those could be pure placeholders that never get any development than what is there already, hard to say because they've been so cagey and slightly overpromised with the stuff in the previous paragraphs, at least with what we've seen so far.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 29, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The only difference I've noticed between levels is which bridge is left up during the escape on the investigation map.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Broken Cog posted:

The only difference I've noticed between levels is which bridge is left up during the escape on the investigation map.

I have absolutely sprinted off the bridge on the right when it was broken because I thought that didn't change lol

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Lmao, they can't fix the crashing issue and the game is about to launch.

Pour one out for the poor devs who probably haven't seen their families in weeks to get this thing off the ground. We salute you and hope you get the break you deserve soon.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
People bring up the DRG mission board (for good reason) in comparison but the first thing that always comes to mind for me is the launch-era crime.net from Payday 2. I wasted as inordinate amount of time trying to get heists in the difficulty I wanted to play to spawn in that.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

wedgie deliverer posted:

Lmao, they can't fix the crashing issue and the game is about to launch.

they already fixed the crashing issue when to get crafting mats at the end of a mission

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah there's a lot of parts of maps that'd be interesting to have to stop and fight in for a bit but you just blow past them and I've never seen enemies randomly spawning in them. Hopefully they do add some more of the events or have more sub missions taking place in the same levels that have you going to or fighting in those bits.

There's all sorts of weird side paths on pretty much every map, breaking up the standard warpaths would be an easy way to spice it up

Cease to Hope posted:

they already fixed the crashing issue when to get crafting mats at the end of a mission

Lol let the man have his fun

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
While I do love the full auto and ammo economy of the recon lazgun, it does lack the big damage to quickly take out snipers.

Really hate how I have not found "my gun" yet in this game. All the guns I like seem to have some kind of annoying trait that makes me not want to use it:

Bolter: The clip is empty dipshit/there is already a round in the chamber, you don't need to cock the gun every loving time. Also, trying to do a follow up aim down sight shot usually never works out

Plasma: A railgun, yay! But heat builds up is too fast and it has kind of garbage ammo economy for some reason. Also it seems like it randomly shoots too high or too low.

Recon Gun: I don't feel at all bad about using bullets in this thing because the ammo pick up for it is fantastic. It can kill several elites with one clip, but at a distance it can hard to take out snipers in a reasonable time.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Bill Nye tempo 12 12 12 12 12

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, the Kantrael MG XII is pretty much the perfect gun for the Vet, IMO. I'm not 30 with the class yet, but it's just such a joy to use.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

VIId is the one that straight shits lasbolts, yeah?

I use that one with the 10% chance to brainpop on psyker sometimes, pretty fun

Orv
May 4, 2011

BrotherJayne posted:

VIId is the one that straight shits lasbolts, yeah?

I use that one with the 10% chance to brainpop on psyker sometimes, pretty fun

Yep, it’s pretty silly. Though I think for Accatran I’ve settled on the VIa, the pen is too nice.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSRuEmsDWb4

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
It's probably suboptimal, but I do really love how the revolver feels.
The sound effect is just so satisfying. And it's got very good knockdown on armoured enemies. Just a shame about the reload speed...

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Weirdly enough I love the revolver reload animation

The fact that it doesn't do the full animations when you have rounds in is nice

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I wish the knives were two knives. Like they can have the exact same stats and moves but now there’s two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

boredsatellite posted:

Weirdly enough I love the revolver reload animation

The fact that it doesn't do the full animations when you have rounds in is nice

wish you had a speedloader tho