Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's hard to tell but it looks like he clipped the mirror? Unless it's something protruding from the car on the right I can't think of a better explanation.

Usually I'm the dickhead who's like "omg motorcyclist not at fault" but this seems straightforward, unless there's something we can't see. Even in a province where lane filtering is allowed, you should know this is an unsafe move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Mister Speaker posted:

It's hard to tell but it looks like he clipped the mirror? Unless it's something protruding from the car on the right I can't think of a better explanation.

Usually I'm the dickhead who's like "omg motorcyclist not at fault" but this seems straightforward, unless there's something we can't see. Even in a province where lane filtering is allowed, you should know this is an unsafe move.

His right mirror clips the mirror of the Chevy-- and I'm guessing the mirrors on his fairing are connected to the handle bars, and that's what caused the oscillation.

Good thing he appears to have been wearing a full face helmet.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef

Renaissance Robot posted:

hardcase clipped the car on the right

Looks like that. Are the cases wider than the bars or mirrors? Maybe just that they are lower and the car wider at that exact point he clipped.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Ah, yeah watching it again you're right, it is a wing mirror clip. What a dumbass way to crash

I wouldn't have even imagined that could happen, the two times I've ever smacked somebody's mirror it didn't deflect me at all, just made a huge BANG and either bent their mirror forward, or mine back, or both. Maybe it was the batwing acting like a ramp instead of being able to absorb the hit or break the car :shrug:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah it's the fairing / integrated mirror deflecting off the car mirror. And a really incompetent rider.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Oibignose posted:

Looks like that. Are the cases wider than the bars or mirrors? Maybe just that they are lower and the car wider at that exact point he clipped.

Nah, click and drag the timeline marker and you can step through the video. Bike starts deflecting off the car long before the cases could have made contact.

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah it's the fairing / integrated mirror deflecting off the car mirror. And a really incompetent rider.

:hmmyes:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Something I saw in a FB group

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
:hellyeah:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I wanna ride that.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I can't even figure out what happened here. What did he hit at first?

https://i.imgur.com/2VWQ5MT.mp4

He hit the mirror with his front brake lever. Yeah it’s still his fault but it’s not as bad as everyone thinks.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The rider also turns his head to the other side right before he hits. Maybe that explains why he didn't see that coming.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

TKC80 tires being available in every weird rim size and aspect ratio you could imagine has really opened the doors to some cool setups.

need dirt bike tires for your 17 inch 180/70 rear tire? don’t worry TKC80 has got you covered

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I hate myself for saying this, but good reaction by the Tesla.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Russian Bear posted:

I hate myself for saying this, but good reaction by the Tesla.

It actually spotted a distant fire truck

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Did a trackday at COTA last weekend, but I apparently either forgot to hit record on my ancient GoPro or it goofed up. Anyway here's a terrifying video from another rider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl8P0fsJoVA&t=107s

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

I can't even figure out what happened here. What did he hit at first?

https://i.imgur.com/2VWQ5MT.mp4

:v: Countersteering!
I see a right handlebar/mirror clipping the car's mirror, causing the bars to jerk to the right, initiating an immediate left turn into the car on his left.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Did a trackday at COTA last weekend, but I apparently either forgot to hit record on my ancient GoPro or it goofed up. Anyway here's a terrifying video from another rider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl8P0fsJoVA&t=107s

Yeah that sucks. It's become apparent to me lots of people ride one or two groups higher than they should be. I guess we're supposed to be impressed with the sticker on your bike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6cl_jWoSHM&t=305s

I ride faster than this on my CB300R, and sometimes I feel like I should still be in the slow group. I've heard in Europe they require lap timers/transponders on bikes, and they will reassign you based on your pace. Not necessarily the worst idea, especially if you can cheaply rent one for the day.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Xakura posted:

I'm just going to recommend these things everywhere I can

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/c/outdoor-recreation/satellite-communicators/

+1

I've had my mini for over two years and it has worked great for motorcycle and mountain bike day trips in the mountains. Tracking and occasionally using it to check in with my wife. Battery life and generally reliability have been great for me.

Greatly reduces my wife's anxiety and thus allows me to get out more.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Toe Rag posted:

I ride faster than this on my CB300R, and sometimes I feel like I should still be in the slow group. I've heard in Europe they require lap timers/transponders on bikes, and they will reassign you based on your pace. Not necessarily the worst idea, especially if you can cheaply rent one for the day.
I still feel like I need a group below the slowest C a lot of times. I'm dirt slow in corners.

For those that do track, how long did it take you to get confident at a good pace? I've done about 5 days now, although a couple were short, and they've been spaced out over long periods of time. I'm a slow learner who needs lots of repetition. Logistically I can't make it out as often as I'd like, I almost managed three weekends a row this fall but haven't been able to go at all in November. Next planned one is in December, and hopefully I can hit a bunch January - March.

My next big hurdle is chipping away at a big mental block about leaning the bike, I have so much more traction left I could be using but just tense up when I hit my mental lean limit, especially on the right side.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

By my third day the slow group was too slow, so I went into the intermediate group after that. I was a little unsure but it was absolutely the right move for me. I lucked at that my second track day hardly anyone was there (maybe 30 people total) so I basically had the track to myself each session.

If you don’t frequently find yourself having to slow in the corners for other riders then you should stay in that group. I get that a Ninja 400 will have a higher corner speed than a ZX-10R for a variety of reasons but at the amateur level I don’t think this is really a factor, especially in the slow and intermediate groups. I haven’t ridden a big bike like that so I accept I could be wrong but I don’t think I am :hehe:

What about leaning is bothering you? Unless something hard is scraping, you can probably lean more. You’re probably not at risk of overriding your suspension or tires if you’re still in the slow group. Scraping should definitely be avoided.

However your speed should also match your lean, because how much you lean is how sharp the bike steers. I devised this in the shower: lean = speed/radius. I’m pretty sure that’s correct. If you’re leaning too far you’re gonna have to either add throttle or take away lean. Taking away lean is safer but you’re making unnecessary steering inputs and it’s certainly not the fastest way though a corner, and makes it harder for the riders around you to trust or/and predict you. Everything should be one linear movement as much as possible.

Like they told you at champ school, if your tires are warm and your form is good, your knee will touch the ground before you lose traction. The only time I’ve ever lost traction on the track has been when I’m scraping hard parts.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

It's the feeling of being leaned over past a certain angle that's still so uncomfortable I physically tense up, even though looking at video and pictures I have of when I'm pushing the hardest, I still have at least 3-4 inches before my knee starts to touch down. There's a psychological barrier I've hit that I know is a "safe" lean angle, and pushing the bike any more past that is tough no matter how I rationalize it. This video here talks about the mental part in one of the sections which is part of it, on top of my lack of skill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R00jOsC9GI

Here's a poor quality picture from a Champschool filmed lap at one of my "best" corners where I get leaned the most, and there is still so much tire and ground clearance left:

Toe Rag posted:

Like they told you at champ school, if your tires are warm and your form is good, your knee will touch the ground before you lose traction. The only time I’ve ever lost traction on the track has been when I’m scraping hard parts.
That was one of the big takeaways for me that I try to keep in mind. Learning to make full use of body position has definitely helped a lot, as I can carry more speed with less actual bike leaning.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

dema posted:

+1

I've had my mini for over two years and it has worked great for motorcycle and mountain bike day trips in the mountains. Tracking and occasionally using it to check in with my wife. Battery life and generally reliability have been great for me.

Greatly reduces my wife's anxiety and thus allows me to get out more.

Oh poo poo, they apparently have this thing now, which was a thing I've been saying should be invented for years now: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/793265

This might be on my list now.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Here's a poor quality picture from a Champschool filmed lap at one of my "best" corners where I get leaned the most, and there is still so much tire and ground clearance left:

Are you going slow as poo poo though? I feel like if you’re leaning more than necessary for the speed and radius then you aren’t getting the load into your tires properly and yeah it’s not going to feel great and you won’t be comfortable leaning farther. If you go faster you will have to lean more out of necessity. Maybe your lean for this corner is actually exactly right for your speed? I wouldn’t worry about “how far am I leaning” so much as how much track do you have left at the exit, how much earlier you can get to full throttle, how much farther can you take the brakes (and therefor speed) into the apex, and so on. The leaning just happens on its own, IMO.

I’m just a scrub, though. “Go faster” was the #1 feedback I got at champ school, fwiw.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh poo poo, they apparently have this thing now, which was a thing I've been saying should be invented for years now: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/793265

This might be on my list now.

Help me out here, its a mini with a bigger battery and a smaller screen?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Toe Rag posted:

Are you going slow as poo poo though? I feel like if you’re leaning more than necessary for the speed and radius then you aren’t getting the load into your tires properly and yeah it’s not going to feel great and you won’t be comfortable leaning farther. If you go faster you will have to lean more out of necessity. Maybe your lean for this corner is actually exactly right for your speed? I wouldn’t worry about “how far am I leaning” so much as how much track do you have left at the exit, how much earlier you can get to full throttle, how much farther can you take the brakes (and therefor speed) into the apex, and so on. The leaning just happens on its own, IMO.

I’m just a scrub, though. “Go faster” was the #1 feedback I got at champ school, fwiw.
Definitely hear what you're saying, and I know it comes naturally with speed, that's all part of the whole problem. I am for sure overslowing corner entry, if I had more confidence in the traction limits I'd be significantly faster overall, but I feel kinda stuck right now. At the school I was in a C-type group with a couple other riders with similar experience and couldn't keep up their pace. I feel like I should be so much more skilled at this point which is discouraging. Anyway I know there are a lot of things tied in to it and I'm probably over-obsessing on just the one piece that is lean angle, as I tend to do, and it's near impossible to tell someone what they're doing wrong without riding with them in person, so I'll stop making GBS threads up the pics thread!

Pic/video related, there's a new Isle of Man 2022 documentary out on the TT website. Don't think it's hit Youtube or anywhere else, so you have to sign up for an account on the site but you can just use a throwaway email: https://ttplus.iomttraces.com/videos/tourist-trophy-film

More focus on the sidecars this time around which is something I know little about so that was interesting to see. I have a hard time comprehending everything that goes into the sidecar racing and am blown away every time I learn something new about it, those riders are nuts.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Definitely hear what you're saying, and I know it comes naturally with speed, that's all part of the whole problem. I am for sure overslowing corner entry, if I had more confidence in the traction limits I'd be significantly faster overall, but I feel kinda stuck right now. At the school I was in a C-type group with a couple other riders with similar experience and couldn't keep up their pace. I feel like I should be so much more skilled at this point which is discouraging. Anyway I know there are a lot of things tied in to it and I'm probably over-obsessing on just the one piece that is lean angle, as I tend to do, and it's near impossible to tell someone what they're doing wrong without riding with them in person, so I'll stop making GBS threads up the pics thread!

Nah, I'm for sure overslowing at the entry, too. I think on bikes like ours, where the entry is the "biggest" part of the corner, in terms of being fast, it's easy to get in your head or just be intimidated by your own speed. I overcooked it into one corner on my last outing on the first session, and I almost released the brakes and took to the dirt, but I reminded myself "keep slowing down," and while I definitely screwed up, it wasn't really a big deal. If you're coming in hot, you're gonna run wide, so as you slow down and collect yourself, I think it's unlikely you'll be on line and get crashed into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caR7vCEF4AI

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Xakura posted:

Help me out here, its a mini with a bigger battery and a smaller screen?

Yeah, minus some of the navigation functions as well. Basically just a satellite antenna for your phone with an SOS button. Still pricey but less than a mini and all a lot of us really need.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

I've been thinking about this way too much. That seems completely insane. I don't know sport bike riding, never tried an R1 etc. I do know winter roads "close to the arctic circle" and road studded winter tires. I've even tried it on a motorcycle on one glorious occasion probably 25 years ago. On a 125 dual sport. At least 75% of my involuntary dismounts happened on that day.
I just don't understand how it's humanly possible to come even close to using the power of a four cylinder sports bike with the traction you'd have - imagine riding on pea gravel if you are used to warmer climes. Accelerating, braking, turning and staying alive in general would be...complicated. Sure you could putter around safely enough but that's not a bike at all suitable for that type of riding. I'm just imagining the guy absolutely flying down those long, deserted straightaways you find in the northern boonies of scandinavia (looks like it in the picture), one unforeseen thing away from death. Stray reindeer are common up there, there are lots of bigger animals too, and they don't look both ways before crossing the road.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The answer is he goes insanely slowly at all times. This is also how every literbike ridden by a middle aged man spends most of its time regardless of conditions. Source: the majority of literbikes I work on are ridden by middle aged men who ride very slowly.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

Invalido posted:

That seems completely insane.

Welcome to Cycle Asylum, friend.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

moxieman posted:

Welcome to Cycle Asylum, friend.

Thank you. Slavvys answer is probably closer to the truth than my fantasy of speed. If so he's just a silly man who would be way better served by a 125 dual sport than an R1. If I still lived up there where there's actual snow and no road salt I'd love to get into winter riding on something appropriate to the task. Come to think of it, when I was a conscript soldier we had guys on these attached to the battalion (?) zipping around with messages and small things:

AFAIK they have more modern bikes now but still exist.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

The answer is he goes insanely slowly at all times. This is also how every literbike ridden by a middle aged man spends most of its time regardless of conditions. Source: the majority of literbikes I work on are ridden by middle aged men who ride very slowly.

This is the correct answer. Am a middle aged man, can confirm

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

This chat has reminded me of this video

https://youtu.be/QjV-d1844TU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
A carburetored R1 at that with no rider modes, abs, or other bullshittery that makes them approachable for morons with next to no skill.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

A carburetored R1 at that with no rider modes, abs, or other bullshittery that makes them approachable for morons with next to no skill.

Yeah the best kind

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002
Couple of interesting looking new bikes that caught my eye recently from the EICMA show

This Brough Superior Dagger (only 60k euros)

And this CFMoto concept

Apparently people who go to EICMA only have access to phone cameras from 2008 so I couldn't find many decent photos of the display bikes from there

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Furious George posted:

Couple of interesting looking new bikes that caught my eye recently from the EICMA show

This Brough Superior Dagger (only 60k euros)

And this CFMoto concept

Apparently people who go to EICMA only have access to phone cameras from 2008 so I couldn't find many decent photos of the display bikes from there

A gaudy bauble for rich idiots that looks like it might have some interesting riding dynamics for once, and a better looking ktm than ktm can make, respectively.

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002
ah, yep, exactly the first response I expected ;)

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
The first one is cool, I like pimp style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Yeah the best kind

Agreed. I'd totally own another if I needed a high speed touring bike. I found it a decent at touring the backroads of the west but it was a loving dumptruck in the twisties.