Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

ryanrs posted:

One time I made a buck converter that hummed, even though the switching frequency was >100 kHz, and even under load (so not related to burst mode stuff). The circuit did work, but I didn't think it should be making any noise at all.

The culprit was the output capacitor. I used a very low ESR polymer cap, which caused subharmonic oscillations in the regulator. Something about the low ESR not playing nice with the regulator's internal compensation? The solution was to use a cheaper, higher ESR electrolytic capacitor on the output. Didn't need to re-spin the board because the footprints were the same.

Very likely the hum was just from the feedback loop being unstable, rather than from subharmonic oscillation (true subharmonic oscillation has nothing to do with the output capacitor). Adding ESR to the output capacitor typically improves stability margins, at the expense of higher output ripple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
What is a good resource to learn buck, boost, buck-boost converter design? The first and last time I built a power supply was for a college class project and unfortunately all of that knowledge has been lost.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Salami Surgeon posted:

What is a good resource to learn buck, boost, buck-boost converter design? The first and last time I built a power supply was for a college class project and unfortunately all of that knowledge has been lost.

Do you mean designing your own to pass one of our hypothetical job interviews that came up a little while ago, or just using off the shelf chips? Cuz honestly I've never had a problem with just searching for a chip that says it does the thing I want (current / voltage / ripple / whatever) and then following the datasheet and app notes.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Splode posted:

Is it true that tantalum capacitors catch fire if they're exposed to too much voltage?

Tantalum caps go short-circuit when they fail, which tends to be dramatic when they're placed across the power rails. I think they generally explode, rather than catch fire.

The problem with tantalum caps is that there is a race between their internal self-healing chemistry and exothermic failure. So there are a pile of guidelines re. voltage derating to take into account stresses from inrush current, voltage surges, etc, and you end up speccing a tantalum cap with a voltage rating 2x the nominal circuit voltage. Most tantalum cap manufacturers have app notes that talk about this phenomenon. Here's one from AVX.

Why All Capacitors Suck:
Aluminum Electrolytic: electrolyte dries out over time, high ESR
Aluminum Polymer: high leakage current
Ceramic: nonlinear, capacitance changes with applied voltage & temp, big ones are delicate
Plastic film: physically huge
Tantalum: blows up

Every type of capacitor sucks in its own special way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Splode posted:

Is it true that tantalum capacitors catch fire if they're exposed to too much voltage?

This is true of most things, as a matter of fact!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

In fact that's usually how we define 'too much.'

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That's true of the old true tantalum caps. The new tantalum polymer ones are fine. I intentionally killed a few to test, they just heated up and then politely desoldered themselves

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

ryanrs posted:

Tantalum caps go short-circuit when they fail, which tends to be dramatic when they're placed across the power rails. I think they generally explode, rather than catch fire.

The problem with tantalum caps is that there is a race between their internal self-healing chemistry and exothermic failure. So there are a pile of guidelines re. voltage derating to take into account stresses from inrush current, voltage surges, etc, and you end up speccing a tantalum cap with a voltage rating 2x the nominal circuit voltage. Most tantalum cap manufacturers have app notes that talk about this phenomenon. Here's one from AVX.

Why All Capacitors Suck:
Aluminum Electrolytic: electrolyte dries out over time, high ESR
Aluminum Polymer: high leakage current
Ceramic: nonlinear, capacitance changes with applied voltage & temp, big ones are delicate
Plastic film: physically huge
Tantalum: blows up

Every type of capacitor sucks in its own special way.

Tantalum also loses capacitance if it’s been sitting for awhile and the tantalum oxide layer needs to regrow through baking/voltage. Extra fun debugging when they pass incoming component test and then fail FCT during a build.

Salami Surgeon posted:

If you want to build one for informative purposes, The Art Of Electronics.

If you want to build one for practical purposes, just find an IC that does it for you.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

ante posted:

That's true of the old true tantalum caps. The new tantalum polymer ones are fine. I intentionally killed a few to test, they just heated up and then politely desoldered themselves

Leakage current is probably a lot higher though? (if you're losing the self-healing)

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

If you want to build one for informative purposes, The Art Of Electronics.

But which edition? For the 3rd edition, the authors deleted a bunch of cool stuff that was in the 2nd ed (like weird capacitor facts).

Pirated 2nd ed PDF is the best, IMO, though the microcontroller chapters are super out-of-date.

e: and the big lebowski jokes in the 3rd ed date it as badly as the 68000 assembly in the 2nd

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 28, 2022

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

OK, this is actually exactly what I was wanting to do, just not having any idea what it was called. Looking a little closer, it looks like a 555 (or 556 since I want two pulses) would do essentially the same thing?

So a long time ago I asked about how to turn a signal into a pulse, basically, and got pointed to a couple of resources, one of them using a 555 timer in Monostable mode. The ultimate goal is that I have 2 momentary switches connected to my raspberry pi, and they need to be turned simultaneously to trigger something, so my idea was that each key switch would send a pulse into an AND gate and so you'd have to turn both keys at the "same" time to trigger the action on the GPIO.

Like I said, it's been a long time (hard to get the energy to work on a project used for people to gather together in a room and do something during Covid) but I'm picking it back up, and I actually built the monostable circuit with a 555 on a breadboard. I've done the math so the pulse is about 1 second, and I've got it just hooked up to an LED right now. If I trigger it for a fraction of a second, it behaves like I expect: even after I've let go of the button, the light turns on for about a second and turns off. However if I hold the switch for say 2 seconds, the light stays on the whole time (though turns off immediately when I let go). From my vague understanding, it's "working as intended" it's just not what I desire.

I found another circuit using a 555 except this one only triggers when the switch is closed, so you can hold the switch logger than you want the pulse to be. I haven't built it yet but I think that's what I want.

However I was initially pointed at this circuit which claims to do what I want with no 555. Looking at that, it's got 7 components. The 555 that I've built has 4 components plus the 555, if I build out the version that only triggers on press I'm looking at 7 components plus the 555, so that circuit without the 555 starts to look a lot better.

So, uh, what am I getting with the 555 that I don't get from just doing it myself? It doesn't seem simpler to use the 555, and in fact might be even more complex.

Comedy option, looking at the datasheet for the 74121/74221 (since I actually need 2 of these) I could just go that route and have most of the work done for me on the chip, at the downside of paying $6 a chip and having to order from an electronics place, vs picking up piles of 555s on Amazon for a few cents a piece.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Splode posted:

I heard a similar story from an old boss.
They had developed a pay phone system for prisons. They received a few complaints that prisoners were getting charged too much.
It took forever for them to work out the problem, until they actually saw a prisoner using the phone: he was pretty agitated, and tapping pretty hard on the phone as he talked.
This was flexing a capacitor on the board, which was in turn generating a voltage via the piezo electric effect, that was close enough to the "minute has passed, increase the bill" signal the system used. THAT was why the prisoners were getting unfairly billed.

It's a second-hand story, so I have no idea how long it took them to actually diagnose that, but I bet it was either instantly from a bolt of pure inspiration, or it took absolutely forever.
The implausible part of this is that anyone cared enough about prisoners getting billed extra on top of the normal usurious rates to spend engineer time on it

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

The ultimate goal is that I have 2 momentary switches connected to my raspberry pi, and they need to be turned simultaneously to trigger something, so my idea was that each key switch would send a pulse into an AND gate and so you'd have to turn both keys at the "same" time to trigger the action on the GPIO.
Since you're operating on human timescales, the practical solution is to just run both switches into the pi as gpio (or use an io expander chip if you've run out), then do the logic in software instead of analog stuff

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Wow, that is a lot of words and then a link to even more words hundreds of pages ago.

So to summarize:
You have two momentary switches.
When they are both activated within, say, 0.5 seconds, it turns on a GPIO for a Rasp Pi.

For various reasons, you only have one GPIO available to do this. You also don't want to add a tiny 8-pin microcontroller to do it, heh.

But you are in luck! You can definitely do this with a single 555 and some resistors and capacitors. I'll post a circuit in a bit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

FISHMANPET posted:

So a long time ago I asked about how to turn a signal into a pulse, basically, and got pointed to a couple of resources, one of them using a 555 timer in Monostable mode. The ultimate goal is that I have 2 momentary switches connected to my raspberry pi, and they need to be turned simultaneously to trigger something, so my idea was that each key switch would send a pulse into an AND gate and so you'd have to turn both keys at the "same" time to trigger the action on the GPIO.

Like I said, it's been a long time (hard to get the energy to work on a project used for people to gather together in a room and do something during Covid) but I'm picking it back up, and I actually built the monostable circuit with a 555 on a breadboard. I've done the math so the pulse is about 1 second, and I've got it just hooked up to an LED right now. If I trigger it for a fraction of a second, it behaves like I expect: even after I've let go of the button, the light turns on for about a second and turns off. However if I hold the switch for say 2 seconds, the light stays on the whole time (though turns off immediately when I let go). From my vague understanding, it's "working as intended" it's just not what I desire.

I found another circuit using a 555 except this one only triggers when the switch is closed, so you can hold the switch logger than you want the pulse to be. I haven't built it yet but I think that's what I want.

However I was initially pointed at this circuit which claims to do what I want with no 555. Looking at that, it's got 7 components. The 555 that I've built has 4 components plus the 555, if I build out the version that only triggers on press I'm looking at 7 components plus the 555, so that circuit without the 555 starts to look a lot better.

So, uh, what am I getting with the 555 that I don't get from just doing it myself? It doesn't seem simpler to use the 555, and in fact might be even more complex.

Comedy option, looking at the datasheet for the 74121/74221 (since I actually need 2 of these) I could just go that route and have most of the work done for me on the chip, at the downside of paying $6 a chip and having to order from an electronics place, vs picking up piles of 555s on Amazon for a few cents a piece.

What is your end goal for this? Is a one second window what you're looking for? If so, that's ages for a microcontroller or your raspberry pi. If you want it to be a separate thing, just get a cheap PIC (like 80 cents) or atmega mcu and set up interrupts for each pin. Get an interrupt for one of them and then poll the other pin during your window to see if the other one activates.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It turns out I do actually have multiple GPIO pins free on the Pi so I could do it all in software, I just don't have any idea how I would actually do that.

The project itself is very stupid, it's a ridiculous amount of flashing lights and buttons that in the end, makes a single REST API call when a button is pushed. And to be clear that's not my repo/design, I'm building one myself based on that design with some slight modifications.

What I'm trying to add is some "extra credit" that isn't part of the original design, but is inspired by it, and require two keys to be turned "simultaneously" as part of "initializing" it. So my thought was 2 boxes with momentary key switches in them, setup to send out a pulse instead of a constant signal (so you can't have one person hold a key in the "on" position while waiting for the other person to turn theirs) and then run that through an AND gate to output a single signal. So that's where the "1 second" comes from, that once one key is turned you have 1 second to turn the other one, and the AND would output a single signal that I can easily use in my code.

I'm open to other ways to do it, since I'm just learning all of this as I go.

E: I suppose the ultimate disclaimer here is that I'm also looking into this at this moment specifically because I'm avoiding doing my actual job and so "somewhat complicated" is a bit of a tiny bonus for me.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Falstad: 555 + 2 buttons

Operation:
When you close one of the pushbuttons, the discharged 1.5uF cap sucks some charge out of the 1uF cap on the 555. But 1 switched cap is not enough to pull the trigger voltage below 1/3 Vcc. Meanwhile, the 470k resistor is recharging the 1uF and the 1.5uF switched cap.

So to force the trigger voltage below 1/3 Vcc, both switches need to be flipped. And you need to do it before the 470k resistor can add much charge. Note the second 1.5uF can't drop the voltage as much as the first, because it's pulling charge off two caps (1uf + 1.5uF).

If both switches are flipped within 0.5 secs or so, the 555 output will go high, and stay there until at least one of the switches is released, plus a delay.

Notes:
1) There is a false pulse at startup after power is applied. It'll clear in under a second, which is probably less than your raspberry pi takes to boot. This isn't shown in simulation because it's kinda annoying when playing with the buttons.

2) When the switches are closed and re-opened, it takes 3-5 seconds to recharge them before they can be used for another activation. This feels like forever in simulation.

3) Use TLC555 or LMC555 or a similar CMOS timer. Not NE555.

4) Use reasonably accurate 5-10% tolerance film capacitors. Not ceramic or electrolytic.

5) The 10 ohm resistors are just to keep the simulator happy, though they probably save some wear on the switch contacts, too. Anything between 0 and 1k is fine.

6) If these buttons are at the end of several feet of cable, maybe multiply all the capacitor values by 10 and divide the 3 large resistors by 10.

code:
$ 1 0.000005 54.00526672067058 59 5 43 5e-11
v 704 272 704 80 0 0 40 5 0 0 0.5
165 512 128 560 128 6 0
r 32 96 32 176 0 1000000
c 96 96 96 176 0 0.0000015 0.001 0.001
s 144 96 256 96 0 1 false
w 32 96 96 96 0
w 96 96 144 96 0
w 32 176 96 176 0
g 64 176 64 208 0 0
g 64 368 64 400 0 0
w 32 352 96 352 0
w 96 272 144 272 0
w 32 272 96 272 0
s 144 272 256 272 0 1 false
c 464 288 464 368 0 0.000001 5 5
r 32 272 32 352 0 1000000
c 96 272 96 352 0 0.0000015 0.001 0.001
r 464 176 464 80 0 470000
w 464 80 576 80 0
w 576 96 576 80 0
w 704 80 576 80 0
g 704 272 704 320 0 0
g 608 288 608 320 0 0
w 640 160 640 80 0
g 464 368 464 400 0 0
w 64 368 64 352 0
w 64 352 32 352 0
w 32 176 64 176 0
w 576 80 640 80 0
O 640 192 672 192 0 0
r 256 96 256 176 0 10
r 256 176 256 272 0 10
w 256 176 464 176 0
w 512 256 464 256 0
w 464 288 464 256 0
O 464 256 400 256 1 1
w 464 256 464 176 0
w 512 224 464 224 0
w 464 224 464 256 0
o 29 64 0 x81016 4.999999950000001 0.0001 0 1 1 -98
o 35 64 0 x81016 5 0.1 0 1 2 -98
o 3 64 0 x81016 0.0007120995926876256 0.0001 0 2 2 -98 3 3 0.000049999999999999996 0
o 12 64 0 x81016 0.0048828125 0.00009765625 0 2 2 -98 12 3 0.000049999999999999996 0

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 29, 2022

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Salami Surgeon posted:

There are lots of ways to approach it, depending on what your background is and what sort of circuits you only want to build.

If you really want to get a grip on switchmode power, it's best to start with totally custom circuits on a solderless breadboard. Start at low power (<2A, <20V) and low frequency (10-20kHz). Use cheap jelly bean components, no fancy control or gate drive ICs. Use basic power MOSFETs like IRF540N, etc (but don't bother with using power BJTs). Follow app notes from Linear Tech and Texas Instruments. Horowitz and Hill also has some good tips on prototyping stuff, IIRC.

Your results won't be nearly as impressive as with modern components with a good custom PCB, but you'll be able to actually experiment freely without having to worry about destroying your fancy-rear end Linear Tech controller IC with a 52 week lead time. You should be using LM339s and LM324s, go ahead and abuse them.

Start with a simple buck converter (with a P-channel FET). Just run it open loop, directly controlling the duty cycle with a function generator (or make your own using op amps/comparators). Try and get 80% efficiency. When open loop becomes boring, try closing the feedback loop. Feedback in itself can become a very technical topic, if you want to push it...

A boost converter is the next simple thing to try, but be careful with it. Without a significant load on the output, a boost circuit's output voltage can shoot up in an uncontrolled manner, resulting in potentially dangerous situations. Same applies to flyback and buck-boost converters, btw. Best to always run these with at least a basic feedback loop which will limit the output voltage automatically.

When non-isolated converters become easy, your can try isolated converters with transformers. Magnetics design is a whole topic on its own....

And it's often very worthwhile to simulate things as well. Especially as your amps and volts increase and the cost of failure with real hardware becomes severe. LTspice is the hands-down best option for simulating simple SMPS circuits.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

FISHMANPET posted:

It turns out I do actually have multiple GPIO pins free on the Pi so I could do it all in software, I just don't have any idea how I would actually do that.

If you do want to do it in software, something like this should help: https://roboticsbackend.com/raspberry-pi-gpio-interrupts-tutorial/ You could set interrupts on each pin. When one goes pops off, record the current unix time stamp. Compare the time to the time when the other one was tripped, if they are within a second, do the thing, if not, do nothing. With this method, you can easily change how much of a time window you get, because it's just a simple" |a - b| < window" calculation that can be changed whenever you want.

But if you do want to do it with hardware, what ryanrs suggests seems neat.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 29, 2022

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Don't use my 555 circuit if you have enough GPIOs to wire the switches directly.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I need a Clever Solution from Smarter People.

I have several vintage c7 and c9 incandescent strands of christmas lights I put up around the house. The bulbs in them are almost unobtanium at this point and they also run very hot at 120V. I've had them plugged into standard lamp dimmers that I leave set at about ~60V as read on a multimeter so that the bulb life is extended effectively forever and they are cool to the touch.

I want to ~fancy~ up my capabilities by adding these strings to the rest of my Christmas iot hellscape which dims based on time of day. I am concerned about some glitch on a smart dimmer running them at 100% so I need some sort of way to guarantee they never break ~60V. My first thought was just a linear transformer, but I don't think that will play well with the triac dimmer in a smart plug (correct me if I'm wrong). Another option I thought of would be some sort of over voltage protection that cuts off at 60V, but I'm not even sure that's a thing at such low voltages.

I'm willing to spend some money and time on an Interesting Solution, if there is one.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Qwijib0 posted:

I need a Clever Solution from Smarter People.

I have several vintage c7 and c9 incandescent strands of christmas lights I put up around the house. The bulbs in them are almost unobtanium at this point and they also run very hot at 120V. I've had them plugged into standard lamp dimmers that I leave set at about ~60V as read on a multimeter so that the bulb life is extended effectively forever and they are cool to the touch.

I want to ~fancy~ up my capabilities by adding these strings to the rest of my Christmas iot hellscape which dims based on time of day. I am concerned about some glitch on a smart dimmer running them at 100% so I need some sort of way to guarantee they never break ~60V. My first thought was just a linear transformer, but I don't think that will play well with the triac dimmer in a smart plug (correct me if I'm wrong). Another option I thought of would be some sort of over voltage protection that cuts off at 60V, but I'm not even sure that's a thing at such low voltages.

I'm willing to spend some money and time on an Interesting Solution, if there is one.

I mean if you're using standard triac dimmers then I don't think it's actually putting out 60V, I think your multimeter is just getting confused because the waveform looks like this (ignore that it says like 300V, it's just a random picture I found on gis):

So it's possible you're still getting the full peak mains voltage and the multimeter is applying the assumption that it's a normal AC sine wave and averaging it down to 60V. I think what you're actually looking for here is some kind of current limiter (since the thing that's actually going to heat up the bulbs when they're at full power is the current, not the voltage). The easiest answer would just be to measure the current they use and then put a fuse in line with them.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
the "as read on a multimeter" was meant to imply I know roughly what's happening, sorry if that wasn't explicit. The effect on an incandescent bulb i believe is identical when dimmed with a triac vs just getting less voltage. All the bulb life calculations are based on designed vs supplied voltage which is why that's the thing I'm fixated on here.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

ANIME AKBAR posted:

There are lots of ways to approach it, depending on what your background is and what sort of circuits you only want to build.

If you really want to get a grip on switchmode power, it's best to start with totally custom circuits on a solderless breadboard. Start at low power (<2A, <20V) and low frequency (10-20kHz). Use cheap jelly bean components, no fancy control or gate drive ICs. Use basic power MOSFETs like IRF540N, etc (but don't bother with using power BJTs). Follow app notes from Linear Tech and Texas Instruments. Horowitz and Hill also has some good tips on prototyping stuff, IIRC.

With no formal electronics training, and in my classic dive -headfirst-into-the-deep-end style, one of my first PCB designs was for a VFD tube clock, using an unused timer on an ATMega32u4 to drive a boost converter to make ~30v needed for the tubes from the 5v supply. Other than some beginner footprint mistakes, it worked well enough for the few mA I needed. I never did finish the clock, though. Too much scope creep and other shiny things distracting me from finishing the code side of things.

So to reinforce what Akbar says, just start playing with things until it does what you want, then add features as needed.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have seen incandescent C9 bulbs online like earlier today, also led C9s that run on 120-220v. Maybe it was on AliExpress

Oh almost forgot about these, C9 LED replacements
https://tru-tone.com/vintage-style-LED-Christmas-bulbs-c9-size/

Technology Connections said good things about these

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 29, 2022

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have a bunch of tru-tones, I am a full believer in those as a replacement for regular c7/c9. My strands I am concerned with consist of 1930s era swirl C9s, and c7 Snowball bulbs which have no LED equivalent.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Qwijib0 posted:

I am concerned about some glitch on a smart dimmer running them at 100% so I need some sort of way to guarantee they never break ~60V.

Put pairs of identical bulbs/strings in series. 120 / 2 = 60V, ta da!

e: this also reduces the power-on stress by 75%

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 29, 2022

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah ok with something as hard to replace as weird niche bulbs from the 30's I see your concern, I'd definitely go for something like putting them in series somehow just to make physically certain they only get lower voltages.

Now if you wanna go super nuts you could also get a big ol' variable transformer and drive the wiper with a motor and a microcontroller instead of using the dimmer controller but that would probably cost more than your entire lighting setup. Would be fun though.

e: Also from my understanding the filament in bulbs is under the most stress when it first turns on or abruptly turns off, so maybe also include some kind of logic to slooowly ramp them up and down too? I know you said it changes with the outdoors lighting though so maybe that covers it already.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 29, 2022

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Anybody ever see any lists of like, useful PCB designs for adapters/ small circuits to throw in your next order sort of things?

I have to place an order from JLCPCB soon and I don't have anything else of my own to order, so I'm paying $20 shipping for a $2 pcb. Figured I could throw a couple extra little adapters or anything else handy while I'm at it, but feels like there should be a nice list of those somewhere.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I had a 50x50mm design of a whole bunch of panelised assorted SMD breakouts once.

Wish I still had it. I ordered 5 PCBs and I still have a few of the footprints in a bin somewhere, they ended up being absurdly useful and cheap

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a laptop DC jack with seven different pins. Guess where ASUS decided the entirety of 6 loving amps should flow through?

That's not their soldering, that's me trying to suck away their poo poo solder, hit it with a flux pen, and shore it back up with lead eutectic.

Oh yeah, and that second solder pad half an rear end-hair to the left of that pad is negative on my multimeter. That's a precision driver bit for scale; it's hard to convey how pathetically small this is for being 120 watt input.

I was getting constant "plugged/unplugged" pop-ups in Windows while gaming, with the plug securely in place, and two different power bricks were doing the same thing so I narrowed it to the port.

Is there anything else I could possibly to in the future to bypass or reroute this bullshit if it gets worse? It's on the motherboard instead of a module like they easily could have used (and did for the HDMI on the other side of the laptop ffs)

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Zero VGS posted:

Here's a laptop DC jack with seven different pins. Guess where ASUS decided the entirety of 6 loving amps should flow through?

That's not their soldering, that's me trying to suck away their poo poo solder, hit it with a flux pen, and shore it back up with lead eutectic.

Oh yeah, and that second solder pad half an rear end-hair to the left of that pad is negative on my multimeter. That's a precision driver bit for scale; it's hard to convey how pathetically small this is for being 120 watt input.

I was getting constant "plugged/unplugged" pop-ups in Windows while gaming, with the plug securely in place, and two different power bricks were doing the same thing so I narrowed it to the port.

Is there anything else I could possibly to in the future to bypass or reroute this bullshit if it gets worse? It's on the motherboard instead of a module like they easily could have used (and did for the HDMI on the other side of the laptop ffs)

This is why I'm really glad laptops are going to USB C now. Laptop charging ports seem to be the prime mechanism for planned obsolescence.

I'm not 100% sure about ASUS - do they have DRM built in so you can only use their chargers? If so it's probably going to be very difficult to bypass/replace the connector, at least without also slicing and dicing your charging cable too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Shame Boy posted:

e: Also from my understanding the filament in bulbs is under the most stress when it first turns on or abruptly turns off, so maybe also include some kind of logic to slooowly ramp them up and down too? I know you said it changes with the outdoors lighting though so maybe that covers it already.

A PTC resistor otherwise perhaps?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Qwijib0 posted:

I have a bunch of tru-tones, I am a full believer in those as a replacement for regular c7/c9. My strands I am concerned with consist of 1930s era swirl C9s, and c7 Snowball bulbs which have no LED equivalent.

Those are pretty cool looking and I haven't seen the swirl patterns at all. I would've said a stepdown transformer and a PTC resistor to prevent inrush current, but two strings in parallel is a simple solution if you can swing it. It would be interesting to know what a transformer would do if hooked up to a dimmer, but you'd need a scope for that I guess.

Bit OT, I'm in 230V land myself and just cannot get C9 style lighting here. I bought E27s instead, but they are pear shaped and way larger. Got 100 ft for the front of my house. I would like C9s though, but LEDs, but I think they're all made for the US market, I have been thinking of using a step down transformer though.

I know in the past they resold american lights in Sweden at least, same string but the US plug was lobbed off and a 24V transformer was fitted, the lamps where 3volt lamps while US lamps where 15V, at least in a set of 8.

My great aunt who is 98 has had an old style set for 60 years now, well I dunno what happened to it anymore, she's in a home since last year after she got covid.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Splode posted:

This is why I'm really glad laptops are going to USB C now. Laptop charging ports seem to be the prime mechanism for planned obsolescence.

I'm not 100% sure about ASUS - do they have DRM built in so you can only use their chargers? If so it's probably going to be very difficult to bypass/replace the connector, at least without also slicing and dicing your charging cable too.

They don't use any DRM, just a barrel jack with a sense pin at the middle. When I was troubleshooting I got a Best Buy universal charger which was the same voltage and more amps, it worked fine.

I don't even get how the sense pin works if the universal adapter only has 2 pins at the part of the plug where you swap different tips.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Sense pin is probably a resistor to ground or similar. The resistor value will be specific to the laptop/brand, so it lives in the swappable tip, and only +/- go back to the charger board.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Splode posted:

In my experience, USB-C is a terrible choice for laptops. I've seen several new laptops at my workplace become bricked because every USB-C port broke due to excessive stress. Seen them break firsthand just due to setting the laptop down too quickly at a slight angle while the cable is plugged in. The weight of the laptop alone is enough to snap the socket. Glad my massive work laptop has a 5.5mm barrel jack and USB-A ports.

I mean USB-C is sort of neato, and it's not as bad as USB micro (holy poo poo), but I'm honestly confused why some people are in love with it (unless you're using it as a general low-cost, high quality signal transmission cable, in which case :sickos:).

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 1, 2022

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I'm honestly confused why some people are in love with it (unless you're using it as a general low-cost, high quality signal transmission cable, in which case :sickos:).

:yeah:

Literally all of my USB-C phones have failed at the port, and a rough survey of a bunch of people I know is that this is common, but people still defend it for some reason. Oh, they needed a new phone anyway.
It's hosed.

I actually like microUSB though. I've never had a port fail, and I've broken a couple cables in them by doing stupid poo poo. As it should be, the cable is the sacrificial part.

I've been forced to update all of microUSB designs at work to USB-C and I hate it. And we've already run into a non-compliant power brick that refused to turn on with a light load and only passive power signalling.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

99% of the time, phone usb-c failure is from impacted pocket lint so the cable doesn't plug in all the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That is another bad part of them, but also definitely not what I'm talking about

Also that's what everyone says

You're just like all the other USB-C apologists!!