Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Dan_Arrows/status/1594654981419925504

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

:laffo: if musk leads to tech unionizing.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
can't remember if this was posted here but welp

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i thought everyone in germany was already in a union

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i thought everyone in germany was already in a union

union density ~20%, CBAs cover ~50%

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

i figured that if it was anything it was going to be a supposal. kind of surprised that UC didn't even react to the suggestion though

eh, from all indications the SRA unit is full of people basically waiting for any excuse to scab, and the ucs are fully aware of that.

In Training posted:

thanks for the clarification, im gonna stop trying to follow this from way away the strike line, don't want to be part of any misinfo dissemination etc. hope you all can hold strong through any of this internal nonsense while also fighting your bosses!

lol well, your source was 100% right, and apparently literally inside the bargaining unit. i was using outdated info. the bargaining unit vote to strike COLA passed late last night (at like 9:30 pm). the GSI/TA union is extremely mad about this.

the tldr update

we'll see what happens. I'm convinced this goes through spring quarter, the unions of berkeley/la/sc/sd are all way too militant to vote this proposal up even if the UC somehow accepted it.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

cross-posted from another thread

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1597333786772918273

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

What happens if the striking workers refuse to comply with government orders? Haymarket all over again?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Nationalize the loving rail lines

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

What happens if the striking workers refuse to comply with government orders? Haymarket all over again?

my guess is they call the national guard and attempt to force them to comply but something tells me were probably not getting wildcat strikes

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

They'll just quit, op. They're already close to it anyway.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I don't foresee wildcat mass shutdowns. Theyll file a complaint with the NLRB and shitloads of people will work until the day they get their backpay and then quit, probably

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
love seeing this stuff

https://twitter.com/TinaDesireeBerg/status/1597346414694371328

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Jaxyon posted:

Nationalize the loving rail lines

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

this also happened today

https://twitter.com/uaw2865/status/1597369212661428224

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

lol gently caress that guy. Apparently the deal they want to force through grants the BU three whole unpaid days per year to go to the doctor, and the railroads “promise” not to penalize BUEs who are hospitalized or otherwise unable to perform their duties. Eat my entire rear end.

This is an attack on labor, and should be treated as such.

EDIT: here’s a non-paywalled article:

https://apnews.com/article/business-congress-government-and-politics-44c88740ed57ba96a20c4fc6fffb230b

MrYenko has issued a correction as of 05:34 on Nov 29, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it's the usual lib policy of "i support unions in general, but this specific instance a union isn't appropriate," which somehow seems to apply to every instance

my boss gave me the same line before the UC strike started lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'd be terribly embarrassed if I scolded people to vote for this guy, but then I'm capable of self-reflection. I can't wait to see what the union slack at NGPVAN has to say in the coming days.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I really do not see what the Administration does besides showing off how out of touch they are, and how deep in the pockets of Capital they are. Neither are exactly surprises but...what the gently caress do they think is going to happen if they force this deal down the workers' throats? From what I understand the rail network's so understaffed it's at the point of falling apart already. The workers are gonna be pissed but I imagine a large chunk of the work force is going to stay just long enough to get whatever back pay from the back-dated raise the deal Congress forces through then bounce and everything starts grinding to a halt anyways only in a far messier and long-term way that's not as easy to fix.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I remember back when we were told Marty Walsh would be a good Secretary of Labor because he had been a union official before becoming mayor of Boston and appointing a former union leader Secretary of Labor proved that Biden would be a pro-union president, and now here we are.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

blue no matter who

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

vyelkin posted:

I remember back when we were told Marty Walsh would be a good Secretary of Labor because he had been a union official before becoming mayor of Boston and appointing a former union leader Secretary of Labor proved that Biden would be a pro-union president, and now here we are.

Marty Walsh has always sucked rear end

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/JonahFurman/status/1597381132064288768

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lol

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Any other unions got anything to say about this?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

SorePotato posted:

Any other unions got anything to say about this?

I've brought it up but other than some grumbling from individual members CWA leadership doesn't seem to have said much. Our org is pretty instrumental to the Democrat campaign apparatus and I'm going to probably end up in trouble if we just kind of collectively do a "what're we gonna do, vote for Republicans instead?" because there isn't a ton of militancy in my local and I'm going to start getting Very Agitated if we just let this poo poo slide on

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

wouldn't being a part of the election machine actually give you leverage since threatening to take your ball and go home, or even running your own dudes, be a credible threat

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Agean90 posted:

wouldn't being a part of the election machine actually give you leverage since threatening to take your ball and go home, or even running your own dudes, be a credible threat

Yup.

I advanced this position at length while we were in bargaining.

Our ratification vote was just before the most recent midterm election and one of the major pressure points for a yes vote was that an impasse would create bad press for progressive democrats and hurt their chances in the election. I argued that if the company WAS truly invested in advancing democrat victories then our most powerful leverage point was the upcoming election; a lot of my colleagues still believe in lesser evilism and VBNMW-thought so my advocation for militancy was largely ignored or :actually:'d away.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I did go on a bit of a tear this morning though and emphatically state that I will not EVER vote yes again on a contract that isn't proposed under open bargaining rather than closed bargaining. Based on my cursory reading of the minutes a lot of the more militant demands were not represented at the table in any meaningful capacity.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/UAW5810/status/1597641375331196928

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think a general trend is that even a lot of the well meaning senior union people are useless msnbc watching libs while the activists among the younger workers, if there are any younger workers, are bernie-leaning or better

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

i think a general trend is that even a lot of the well meaning senior union people are useless msnbc watching libs while the activists among the younger workers, if there are any younger workers, are bernie-leaning or better

yeah, this absolutely bears out. we use a shared google account for some stuff and if I pop onto youtube with that account the feed is exactly what you'd expect.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
get outta here Liz!

https://twitter.com/JonahFurman/status/1597735612773126145

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

We got this same messaging from our union leadership during our vote, and I'm starting to think I got got.

e: yeah, really steamed I got tricked into voting for a no-strike no-lockout contract

Lib and let die has issued a correction as of 19:10 on Nov 30, 2022

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

More like Liz Loser.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

In Training posted:

More like Liz Loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

no strike/no lockout stuff is pretty common; that's not what's causing so many problems for the railroad unions