Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Dire Lemming posted:

I dunno, decorum I guess you could call it? This started as me trying to articulate the reason why making fun of conspiracy theorists can feel weird that isn't misplaced compassion or conflict aversion. This is probably just because I've done a bunch of research into them myself for uni work, but jokes about conspiracy theorists feel like a lesser degree of jokes about serial killers, or even the same degree, it's not like people haven't been injured or killed for these beliefs.

the only flat earth casualty i can think of is the man who blew himself up in a rocket he built himself that he was going to use to go up into the air and take a photo of the flat earth lol. i dont think thats the same as the victims of literally any serial killer. your ability to connect meaningfully to reality has been obliterated by whatever rogue instict you have to continue engaging in and making your widely mocked beliefs known. i understand your compassion for deliberate morons now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I refuse to count a Dire Lemming as belonging to our "in-group", can we upgrade to a Dire Squirrel, please?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Serial killers are really stupid people. The most mediocre lamest humans possible which is why they murder.

serial killers are only cool when they have supernatural powers or are killer dolls

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
a guy brutally destroying himself in a homemade rocket he made to try to take pictures of the flat earth is not funny. it's not OK to laugh at that

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

serial killers are only cool when they have supernatural powers or are killer dolls

Facts

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

a guy brutally destroying himself in a homemade rocket he made to try to take pictures of the flat earth is not funny. it's not OK to laugh at that

there but for the grace of god go i (?)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

motherfucker actually killed himself like a looney toon...

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah, it wasn't funny, it was just sad.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Spark That Bled posted:

Well, you know what comedy legend Doug Walker says.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

idk it was kinda funny lol

He went looking for the flat earth and became himself flat, in the earth

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

motherfucker actually killed himself like a looney toon...

its like that urban legend about the guy attaching a booster rocket to a Chevy Impala except real

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

SkeletonHero posted:

Well, you know what comedy legend Doug Walker says.

"Mad Max: Fury Road is a Looney Tunes cartoon"?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

idk it was kinda funny lol

He went looking for the flat earth and became himself flat, in the earth
ironic that they dont believe in curves when the rocket curved back inward after launch

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Spark That Bled posted:

lmfao come on now

fun hater
May 24, 2009

being a humorless scold to win a posting argument

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
it is honestly just kinda sad. But I think you can have empathy for some of the folks who wind up falling down these rabbit holes WHILE ALSO laughing at and otherizing them to make it clear is it not okay in society. it’s actually important to do both.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The dude only said it was a flat earth thing to bilk money out of idiots, he didn't actually believe it. Dude just loved flying dangerous rockets, and I can respect that.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Watching a clown trip over his comically large shoes, falling down several flights of stairs, nose honking with every impact, only to land face-first in the huge banana cream pie he was carrying: I shall not laugh at this. There but for the grace of God go I.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Shyrka posted:

The dude only said it was a flat earth thing to bilk money out of idiots, he didn't actually believe it. Dude just loved flying dangerous rockets, and I can respect that.

based rocket man

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Shyrka posted:

he died doing what he loved. plummeting to the earth in a death trap while scamming people

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

he died doing what he loved. plummeting to the earth in a death trap while scamming people

hell, who among us wouldn’t

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I cry for Wylie e. Coyote because godless neoliberal society has failed to teach him about object permanence and gravity

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

fun hater posted:

being a humorless scold to win a posting argument

I was giving a personal opinion, not trying to attack you.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Famethrowa posted:

a self-selected group of conspiracy theorists is not the same as the trans/NB community jesus christ.

I have no horse in this race otherwise but I think you spectacularly misread something.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
being non-binary is a lot like getting in the acme brand wile-e-coyote rocket and smashing into the earth at 9000mph

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Spark That Bled posted:

I was giving a personal opinion, not trying to attack you.

do you not have the social preservation instinct that lights up when you start behaving like a schoolmarm

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

I have no horse in this race otherwise but I think you spectacularly misread something.
not spectacularly, dire lemming was saying we dismiss flat earthers the same way conservatives dismiss LGBTQ people as if there's any equivalence, and so we should police our language and tone because................... because.......................................................................

becaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuussssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

John Murdoch posted:

No, Dire Lemming did conflate fun hater saying flat earthers rejecting grade school astronomy with TERFs saying trans people "reject biology":

Dire Lemming posted:

It's why this

fun hater posted:

your honor i was brainwashed into deliberately ignoring a basic tenet of reality re-enforced through 12 years min of schooling through no fault of my own
is something our ingroup says about flat earthers, but its also exactly what some other ingroups say about people who think there are more than two genders, and for largely the same reasons.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Dire lemming bowed their head solemnly and spoke, "there is no difference between good things and bad things"

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

:ironicat:

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

fun hater posted:

do you not have the social preservation instinct that lights up when you start behaving like a schoolmarm

I'm on Something Awful, I don't have a social life.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

that's not what i asked

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Nuns with Guns posted:

No, Dire Lemming did conflate fun hater saying flat earthers rejecting grade school astronomy with TERFs saying trans people "reject biology":

Honestly fair cop, I was more focusing on conflating the people making the argument and not the subject of the argument despite the obvious problem with conflating those two. Even then the "and for largely the same reasons" was uncalled for.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

fun hater posted:

that's not what i asked

Do you get upset when people don't laugh with you at something? Do you need your sense of humour to be validated or something?

I wasn't even saying that the man didn't deserve what happened to him, I just said I didn't find it funny. I wasn't even replying to you.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Terminally stupid.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

Technology Connections made a video that even he admits was probably too snarky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DGqVbTHX-k

I don't think I've ever seen one of his videos, but my girlfriend subscribes and showed this to me and I thought it was deligtful. Who knew that switched outlets was so contraversal?

Also there was a blink and you miss it reference to Walt Disney's Carosel of Progress, so ot gets bonus points from me.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Twincityhacker posted:

I don't think I've ever seen one of his videos, but my girlfriend subscribes and showed this to me and I thought it was deligtful. Who knew that switched outlets was so contraversal?

Also there was a blink and you miss it reference to Walt Disney's Carosel of Progress, so ot gets bonus points from me.

he is probably the best technology youtuber.

I really loved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udNXMAflbU8

fun hater
May 24, 2009

he deserves a nobel prize for the dishwasher video

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Technology Connections is a great example of someone with two+ major fields of interest focusing on one subject matter but allowing the other interest to inform their methodology. Alec doesn't just like machines and electronics, he also loves theme parks and science communication presentations and worlds' fairs and all that hokey sincere stuff. So he makes videos that *are* science communication, instead of just videos *about* science communication videos. The Secret People Mover video is another great example of his interests synthesizing in a great, entertaining way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

fun hater posted:

he deserves a nobel prize for the dishwasher video

no joke changed my life.