Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Happy Hippo posted:

For the last drat near 20 years I thought that the song Shakin' Sugar was called Alone. It's easily one of my favorite tracks that didn't make the album. Lots of great snoozers in that box, really looking forward to picking up A Ghost Is Born in a couple of years

I can see why if you virtually wore out the YHF demos like I did where it was called Alone. YHF is basically perfect as is but the amount of absolute killer tracks left on the cutting room floor makes me wonder why it wasn't a double album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think that’s the only Wilco album I really like. I find them kinda boring mostly.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

That’s too bad! Did you promote it?

No and maybe I should start doing that. I've never made that much on ebay or well at least not since promotions began.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

No and maybe I should start doing that. I've never made that much on ebay or well at least not since promotions began.

It’s definitely a scam to take more money from you but it might be necessary

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
FYI, looks like Target is running the buy 2, get 1 free online special. Best Buy is buy 2 get 15% off. Not sure who else runs deals every year…

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Partial cross-post from the Physical Media thread, you can go here if you wanna see all the movie pics and words. As the bottom box sprang forth from this here thread I'm sharing it here.

petit choux posted:

Among other things I found at this thrift store was these:

pwn posted:

Im gonna break in tonight and steal these from you

On Monday I got this huge stack of physical media

...and forming the base of this fearsome pyramid of paper and plastic, a huge stack of Robert Crumb books from petit choux, who gave me a great deal. And now you can see each and every one! Amazing posting technology!!

Uncensored :nws: version here if you gotta get your r. crumb titties on

And he threw in a couple DVDs! And a Pogo book! gently caress!!

I do already have the Criterion of Crumb, but the DVD has a nice fold-out booklet with some art not in the Criterion, so that's nice.

I am really touched by the Pogo book. I got one back when I was 11 or 12, back when I would go to the Little Brick Bookhouse book store every week and Hoover up every old Calvin and Hobbes and Peanuts and MAD and Cracked I could afford. Still have it too.

I want to express how immensely grateful I am, petit choux; I never thought I'd be able to get any Crumb, thank you for your generosity.

Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy buying lots of plastic and paper!

pwn fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 25, 2022

pwn
May 27, 2004

Technically I got all my C&H books at a new bookstore but man I spent so much time and money at Brick's. That was the guy's name, George Brick. I would also go and do housecleaning at his place once or twice a week, him and his wife Sue had six cats and the litterboxes were oof. They were both about my parents' age but George was busy working and Sue was partially crippled from polio as were many children in the 40s

One time I was riding my bike home from cleaning and some lady on an upstairs balcony said something about me being a little fatass and I yelled at her that she was a "flabby baby." I know the exact words in this exchange because my mum loves the story and still revels in my 11-year-old ownage to this day

I also bought this Nickelodeon magazine that Summer. Not this exact copy, that one disintegrated a long time ago, this copy is from 1998

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1588853703788081152?s=46&t=--p0HnkC9pXiTCcdITv5uA

pwn
May 27, 2004

I better make a post about records in this, the record thread. Jeepster is having their BF sale and if you know anything about Jeepster, you know they haven't had any new acts on the label since about 15 years ago or so. That said they are selling off some LPs and posters for good prices.

Jeepster email posted:

30% Discount All Weekend

It’s that time of year again! Check out the Jeepster Shop for fabulous Black Friday bargains just in time for some Christmas shopping, or maybe just bag a ‘best price anywhere EVER’ treat for yourself.

Everything is included, nothing left behind. There are some 25th Anniversary ‘If You’re Feeling Sinister’ red vinyl left… get one in the sale while it’s still available.

We even have the newly pressed ‘When It’s All Over We Still Have to Clear Up’ vinyl on sale … just for this weekend. A gorgeous album released for the first time last month as it originally appeared in 2001.

On sale until the end of the month (at half price!) is the final ever pressing of Belle and Sebastian’s ‘The BBC Sessions’ album. This double vinyl is a beautiful album featuring four radio sessions from the late 90s and includes two songs unreleased anywhere else. It is an absolute bargain while stocks last and even more coveted because after 3rd December it will no longer be available in any format… not even to stream.

If it’s the Christmas vibe you’re after, then we have good news; we now finally have all the colours in stock… will it be red, blue or black for you? At just over £15 for a double album in the sale, this 21-song LP is a Christmas must-have.

Belle and Sebastian’s soundtrack album, Storytelling, is also on sale at half price although we don’t have that many left so grab it while you can. There are a few of the limited edition original posters left in stock, also in the sale.

Have a great weekend!

https://jeepster.tmstor.es/

I would strongly suggest you do not sleep on the BBC Sessions, it's a fantastic collection of radio outings from Belle and Sebastian's early days, including what I consider to be the "lost EP" set of four tracks they did that probably would have been their seventh studio EP but for Isobel announcing her departure and Stuart gettingn butt-hurt and recording I'm Waking Up to Us instead. That is purely my theory. Point is you get a great album for $14.50. A double LP! For under $15!!

The deluxe double CD is $5.50! I can't keep using exclamation points! This CD version has a bonus live disc of their 2001 Belfast performance, featuring covers of Here Comes the Sun and The Boys are Back in Town. It's a great set. I don't know why the gently caress it's all going out of print, I always considered it a plus in their column that they kept their LPs in print. Maybe it's some BBC licensing thing. At any rate, according to Jeepster, it all goes bye bye on December 3, even streaming (not that the bonus live disc is streaming) so if you want it get it. Get both for under $20. It's insane. And add the Storytelling soundtrack for $10. A superb little 34 minutes of instrumentals, a couple proper songs with lyrics and like that, and some dialogue snippets from Todd Solondz's still-unavailable-on-Blu-ray film from 2002. It's insane that this is still around and only :10bux:. I'm buying one just because my original is a bit beat up from playing on terrible players for 10+ years.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

I better make a post about records in this, the record thread. Jeepster is having their BF sale and if you know anything about Jeepster, you know they haven't had any new acts on the label since about 15 years ago or so. That said they are selling off some LPs and posters for good prices.

https://jeepster.tmstor.es/

I would strongly suggest you do not sleep on the BBC Sessions, it's a fantastic collection of radio outings from Belle and Sebastian's early days, including what I consider to be the "lost EP" set of four tracks they did that probably would have been their seventh studio EP but for Isobel announcing her departure and Stuart gettingn butt-hurt and recording I'm Waking Up to Us instead. That is purely my theory. Point is you get a great album for $14.50. A double LP! For under $15!!

The deluxe double CD is $5.50! I can't keep using exclamation points! This CD version has a bonus live disc of their 2001 Belfast performance, featuring covers of Here Comes the Sun and The Boys are Back in Town. It's a great set. I don't know why the gently caress it's all going out of print, I always considered it a plus in their column that they kept their LPs in print. Maybe it's some BBC licensing thing. At any rate, according to Jeepster, it all goes bye bye on December 3, even streaming (not that the bonus live disc is streaming) so if you want it get it. Get both for under $20. It's insane. And add the Storytelling soundtrack for $10. A superb little 34 minutes of instrumentals, a couple proper songs with lyrics and like that, and some dialogue snippets from Todd Solondz's still-unavailable-on-Blu-ray film from 2002. It's insane that this is still around and only :10bux:. I'm buying one just because my original is a bit beat up from playing on terrible players for 10+ years.

Thanks for the heads up.

pwn
May 27, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Thanks for the heads up.

I should note that they're in the UK so you'd have to buy like 5 records to get good impact. I don't know how that slipped my mind as I've bought from them several times over the past decade, I blame the turkey. Sadly two records would be about $50 shipped, which is about $8 less than the same two on Amazon.

I'm still gonna fully endorse the albums, but mind the shipping.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

I should note that they're in the UK so you'd have to buy like 5 records to get good impact. I don't know how that slipped my mind as I've bought from them several times over the past decade, I blame the turkey. Sadly two records would be about $50 shipped, which is about $8 less than the same two on Amazon.

I'm still gonna fully endorse the albums, but mind the shipping.

Can’t go wrong with 5 B&S records at least.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I wasn't originally trying to sell stuff to pwn, but since he's a thread buddy and he was clearly interested I thought I'd offer him first pick. I'm a little embarrassed at being thought of as a flipper, my original intent was to keep them forever but then almost immediately I got word my wife is getting laid off. I'll no doubt be selling some more choice oddities so please do check out my SA Mart page after I put up my next lot of stuff for sale. I'm unpacking records and I'll be pulling out a few for sale.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
World's Fair soundtrack OBTAINED. Managed to walk out with only two purchases I didn't plan (Mezzanine and The Powers That B). Pretty lackluster RSD overall IMHO

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

mutantIke posted:

World's Fair soundtrack OBTAINED. Managed to walk out with only two purchases I didn't plan (Mezzanine and The Powers That B). Pretty lackluster RSD overall IMHO

Must show pics

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

mutantIke posted:

Pretty lackluster RSD overall IMHO

For me it was the biggest haul in maybe a year, year and a half.

The Stark Reality was my top objective and I managed to get the very last one in stock at my store :hellyeah: I've been wanting a decent pressing of that album since forever. My wife loving hates this album but I cannot for the life of me figure out why...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGvbCxxW7ZQ

Nabbed some non-RSD stuff too:

They had two sealed copies of the Slum Village, with one about $8 more expensive than the other. Best as I can tell, it was simply they arrived in the store a few months apart and nobody bothered to update the price on the older copy. Inflation and vinyl records, man. What a racket.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

petit choux posted:

Must show pics

I'm flying home tomorrow so it looks like I'm playing the suitcase shuffle with these three. They only had like three Worlds Fairs in stock and I was able to snag the last one

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Barry posted:

I can see why if you virtually wore out the YHF demos like I did where it was called Alone. YHF is basically perfect as is but the amount of absolute killer tracks left on the cutting room floor makes me wonder why it wasn't a double album.

The only reason that none of those tracks ever saw the light of day was probably due to the fact that Jay Bennett co-wrote lots of them and I'd bet that the band just wanted to put him behind them at that point. Pure speculation, of course.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I could definitely see that. I have a half formed theory that the true musical genius of Wilco was actually Jay Bennett. Came in after AM, heavily involved in their three (arguably) greatest albums Being There, Summerteeth and YHF and then rode off into the sunset. RIP Jay

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
All I saw from this year's Black Friday Record Store Day offerings that interested me were the 7-inch picture disc of "Santa Claus and His Old Lady" by Cheech and Chong, and the 12-inch of Bing Crosby and David Bowie doing their mash-up of "Peace on Earth" and "The Little Drummer Boy".

pwn
May 27, 2004

If anyone here wants to keep an eye out for this LP for me at their stores, PM me. Trying to find it for a friend but paying $35 and up from Discogs and eBay is a non-starter.

I'll check the one store in my city tomorrow but I'm not terribly hopeful; besides being in a severely white part of the country, it's a store where the guy just uses Discogs and eBay to price everything. I picked up Songs in the Attic last night for $14.99, with a Goodwill sticker for $1.99 still on the inside of the jacket. That doesn't necessarily mean he bought it from Goodwill and flipped it, but the point is it's a cheap common record being sold for $15 now; it wouldn't be a surprise that he's one of the people who goes to Goodwill early and takes anything good and flips it.

I like the owner and I try to shop there sometimes to support him, but it really is a "you have no choice so I can charge what I like" situation. I'd like to believe that, in cities where there's lots of record shops, this isn't such an issue; that there are decent places that compete with the gougers cashing in on the $100k/year hipsters, but maybe that's just a beautiful dream.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
only RSD release I was interested in was the Soul Coughing greatest hits. it's a pretty good 2xLP selection, wish it had "Soft Serve" (as the comp is named "Lust in Phase") but oh well. for $20 it's kind of a steal. Soul Coughing LPs are real expensive, especially Ruby Vroom. so at least I've got about half of it now. only thing that sucks is the cover which is a really bad band photo.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

pwn posted:

I'd like to believe that, in cities where there's lots of record shops, this isn't such an issue; that there are decent places that compete with the gougers cashing in on the $100k/year hipsters, but maybe that's just a beautiful dream.
I'm in an area with 5-6 record shops, and they're generally gouging. Most are list on new releases and discogs median price (+/- 20%) for used prices with silly prices for anything in great shape. There's one good one that only sells used and has reasonable prices that has people (including me) generally leaving with stacks of records because it's a lot easier to spend $200 for 20 records than it is for 4.

All the antique/vintage sellers have gone out of their goddamn minds, though. Everyone wants $10-15 for a scuffed up copy of [insert middling 70s performer's album here] because they saw a Today Show where Hoda talked about records being hot right now.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

JAMOOOL posted:

only RSD release I was interested in was the Soul Coughing greatest hits. it's a pretty good 2xLP selection, wish it had "Soft Serve" (as the comp is named "Lust in Phase") but oh well. for $20 it's kind of a steal. Soul Coughing LPs are real expensive, especially Ruby Vroom. so at least I've got about half of it now. only thing that sucks is the cover which is a really bad band photo.

drat. Kind of wish I'd paid closer attention to RSD -- hadn't realized there was a Soul Coughing album, and have largely given up hope of finding Ruby Vroom on LP. But seems kind of cruel to call a collection "Lust in Phaze" and then not include Soft Serve.

I've never really thought much about RSD releases, but is this something likely to be available after, just regularly for sale like through stores or online?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

McCoy Pauley posted:

drat. Kind of wish I'd paid closer attention to RSD -- hadn't realized there was a Soul Coughing album, and have largely given up hope of finding Ruby Vroom on LP. But seems kind of cruel to call a collection "Lust in Phaze" and then not include Soft Serve.

I've never really thought much about RSD releases, but is this something likely to be available after, just regularly for sale like through stores or online?

You mean like a non-RSD version of the same thing that comes out after RSD? That would be super dumb so I’m sure it’s happened a bunch of times already.

If you meant “are RSD releases widely available after RSD”, it depends on the title but some kick around stores for years.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

BigFactory posted:

You mean like a non-RSD version of the same thing that comes out after RSD? That would be super dumb so I’m sure it’s happened a bunch of times already.

If you meant “are RSD releases widely available after RSD”, it depends on the title but some kick around stores for years.

Yeah, the latter is what I meant. but looking at Discogs it seems like people have copies of this for reasonable prices, so maybe that's the simpler way to go. I don't have any sense of how popular Soul Coughing is outside of my small group of college friends who love them, so not sure how likely it would be to find a copy in the local record stores that have some RSD leftovers.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It's difficult to pay attention to RSD now that there are about 25 of them throughout the year.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dead Goon posted:

It's difficult to pay attention to RSD now that there are about 25 of them throughout the year.

They really ruined it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a copy of the VMP 'Foals - Total Life Forever' they were thinking about selling? It's an album my girlfriend really likes and I can see this version is pretty nice on Discogs but the current sales are higher than the previous selling ones, and I can't justify that given I'm getting her some other stuff for xmas too. If not I'll just get a more regular release, but thought I'd check first.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dead Goon posted:

The fad isn't gonna last forever, you gotta make hay while the sun shines!

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
bought this https://www.fangamer.com/collections/atlus/products/shin-megami-tensei-iii-nocturne-vinyl-soundtrack-box-set and I really hope the presentation in person looks as good as the mockups because it looks fantastic.

Also ordered Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning which is just a step closer to having every Bright Eyes album on vinyl.

For gifts, I ordered Jeff Rosenstock's SKA DREAM for my sister for xmas.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Dead Goon posted:

Yeah, I completely forgot they have a black friday event to grab all that holiday money. Doesn't seem like I missed much as most of RSD is either super popular artists I'm not into, or obscure as hell groups I'm not cool enough to know about.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

RubberLuffy posted:

bought this https://www.fangamer.com/collections/atlus/products/shin-megami-tensei-iii-nocturne-vinyl-soundtrack-box-set and I really hope the presentation in person looks as good as the mockups because it looks fantastic.

Woah. That SMT box set looks nice. It says catalog FG42, which means Fangamer themselves are doing it for Sega/Atlus. I have slime rancher, stardew, and banjo-kazooie from them. They are all top-notch quality. BK was especially great because they dropped the 4xLP for like $50 when the iam8bit double LP was selling secondhand for $200+.

FG had a green Myst sweater for sale 2 or 3 years ago and I still wish I'd bought it. I thought it would come back in stock. :(

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

This box set is fuckin' owns:

https://twitter.com/VinylMePlease/status/1596926921157255170

If you balk at the price, several of those records go for $100 and up on their own. All 8 are absolute bangers.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

This is exactly a thing they do. If you look on those lists they put out some of them say "RSD first". Basically they put out however many copies with some stupid color and then later on the record just gets a normal release and you can buy it whenever you want. And they definitely lie about how many copies of the "limited" versions are pressed for pretty much everything.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

CPL593H posted:

This is exactly a thing they do. If you look on those lists they put out some of them say "RSD first". Basically they put out however many copies with some stupid color and then later on the record just gets a normal release and you can buy it whenever you want. And they definitely lie about how many copies of the "limited" versions are pressed for pretty much everything.

Stuff that's marked as "RSD Exclusive" will end up getting re-pressed sometimes too, though I don't know how often it happens. Only one I can think of off the top of my head was Resident Alien by Spacehog.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Record Store Day was cool for like two years and then price speculators swooped in and the labels too notice of them and it just became a festival of overpriced garbage clogging up the pressing plants and cluttering the stores. I was in a Newbury Comics yesterday and I was looking at old RSD poo poo that's been kicking around for god knows how long and I can't believe they thought anyone at all would want any of this junk.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I get my HumminGuru tomorrow!

I am so excited to ultrasonically clean some records!!

Although I might not because I haven't got any nice new, clean inner sleeves to use.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Dead Goon posted:

Although I might not because I haven't got any nice new, clean inner sleeves to use.

yeah you cant put a clean record back into a paper sleeve. its just barbaric.

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 29, 2022

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Dead Goon posted:

These are good: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CV42DNB

Let us know how well the HumminGuru works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I like the Big Fudge brand sleeves. I've tried a number of them.