Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thundercracker posted:

I know it's in trope with MCU's everythin is batshit, but nothing mundane changes but at this point I'm kinda surprised there's no version of the Earth Defense Force. Like any aliens can just come and go as they please.

That's meant to be S.W.O.R.D., but the MCU version is a bit different.

We might see more info with Secret Invasion coming up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

FlamingLiberal posted:

For some reason I thought that Thanos killed the Collector in Infinity War before the Snap

I thought that, too, but it was always ambiguous. He disappears when Thanos changes reality back to the burning Collectors home, and the "fake Collector" waves right before he vanishes, which I always took to mean Thanos had already killed him. But I guess this means he just tossed him aside or threw him in a different cage somewhere. Which, I mean, good, because I like him. He's a fun, chaotic third party to revisit every once in a while.

Parkingtigers posted:

And it's doubly odd because I've been led to believe that in places like LA that barely get a winter that Xmas isn't even that big a deal.

Christmas is massive in every part of the US. If there was ever a "War on Christmas", Christmas won long ago.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I thought that, too, but it was always ambiguous. He disappears when Thanos changes reality back to the burning Collectors home, and the "fake Collector" waves right before he vanishes, which I always took to mean Thanos had already killed him. But I guess this means he just tossed him aside or threw him in a different cage somewhere. Which, I mean, good, because I like him. He's a fun, chaotic third party to revisit every once in a while.

I dig that Benacio Del Toro is this in multiple movie franchises.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

thrawn527 posted:

Christmas is massive in every part of the US. If there was ever a "War on Christmas", Christmas won long ago.

I kind of want a movie about an actual war on/for Christmas now. Not a movie like Violent Night about Santa kicking rear end in one specific place, but an entire movie about people waging an actual war across multiple battlefields in various nations over the course of months or even years over Christmas, with Santa Claus, Jack Frost, the Snowman etc. as leaders against whatever bogeyman is anti-Christmas. I love picturing them in military variations of their normal look giving grand speeches to the troops, planning out tactical operations in bunkers or tents filled with maps as they consider the lives of the men under them etc. It's so wonderfully silly.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

tsob posted:

I kind of want a movie about an actual war on/for Christmas now. Not a movie like Violent Night about Santa kicking rear end in one specific place, but an entire movie about people waging an actual war across multiple battlefields in various nations over the course of months or even years over Christmas, with Santa Claus, Jack Frost, the Snowman etc. as leaders against whatever bogeyman is anti-Christmas. I love picturing them in military variations of their normal look giving grand speeches to the troops, planning out tactical operations in bunkers or tents filled with maps as they consider the lives of the men under them etc. It's so wonderfully silly.

I made a photoshop phriday like a decade ago that was basically this:
https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/war-christmas-literal/1/

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TIP posted:

I made a photoshop phriday like a decade ago that was basically this:
https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/war-christmas-literal/1/

Well that's amazing.

edit: I mean, just homerun after homerun.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

The War on Christmas has always been a distraction from the War By Christmas to conquer the whole of the calendar year and subsume all other holidays into itself.

Halloween is fallen! On to Labor Day!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Gotta say, after seeing this, it'd be nice to see Diwali celebrated by Ms. Marvel and her family or Hanukkah with the Moon Knight gang (provided it's less serious, more comical crazy of the comics). It doesn't ALWAYS have to be Christmas, Disney.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

Pan Dulce posted:

Gotta say, after seeing this, it'd be nice to see Diwali celebrated by Ms. Marvel and her family or Hanukkah with the Moon Knight gang (provided it's less serious, more comical crazy of the comics). It doesn't ALWAYS have to be Christmas, Disney.

It's probably not exactly what you want, but you guys might want to check out Rise of the Guardians from back in 2012

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

The Collector seems like the kind of guy to have been smart enough to just hand Thanos his stone and leave instead of trying to fight.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pan Dulce posted:

Ms Marvel's Muslim, so it'd most likely be Eid. :)

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Didn't they have an episode where they were celebrating Eid?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Can’t they just have a nice 3 day weekend at Six Flags?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Marsupial Ape posted:

Can’t they just have a nice 3 day weekend at Six Flags?

That's more of a Summerween thing. Man I wish that was a real thing.

I'd definity want to see a more general MCU Xmas special. Also have it be more like a musical variety show, it's not like half the cast can sing. It could be some plan of the Beyonder or something.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

twistedmentat posted:

I'd definity want to see a more general MCU Xmas special. Also have it be more like a musical variety show, it's not like half the cast can sing. It could be some plan of the Beyonder or something.

MOJO WORLD PROUDLY PRESENTS:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It was a little strange that Kraglin was clearly Sean Gunn and Peter was clearly not Chris Pratt

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Chris Pratt is not a 14 year old boy

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

live with fruit posted:

It was a little strange that Kraglin was clearly Sean Gunn and Peter was clearly not Chris Pratt

I have no idea how old anyone is supposed to be, but i got the vibe that Kraglin was still adult but younger in those scenes (and star lord is pretty clearly still just a kid).

Good song choices through the whole special, although they broke out of their usual time period - was definitely surprised to hear a very obscure Smashing Pumpkins song prominently featured.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
“You just got these instruments?” might be Chris Pratt’s career best delivery if not for “I typed your symptoms into the thing up here and it says here you could have network connectivity problems.”

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Inkspot posted:

“You just got these instruments?” might be Chris Pratt’s career best delivery if not for “I typed your symptoms into the thing up here and it says here you could have network connectivity problems.”

He will never top that for the rest of his career. And he came up with it!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MokBa posted:

He will never top that for the rest of his career. And he came up with it!

Its always funny hearing Mike Schur talk about that moment because it enrages him as a writer that the funniest joke of maybe the series was an ad lib.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

enki42 posted:

I have no idea how old anyone is supposed to be, but i got the vibe that Kraglin was still adult but younger in those scenes (and star lord is pretty clearly still just a kid).

He was aged down to Kirk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELS3OQUqVOE

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

"Sean was reduced in size to his younger self" is a pretty solid older brother dig

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Rarity posted:

Chris Pratt is not a 14 year old boy

It was animated. I'm sure Disney can afford an animator who could figure it out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They barely convinced Chris Pratt to show up and deliver monotone line readings. Getting him to pretend to be his younger self - and not even appear on screen - would've taken a miracle.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

live with fruit posted:

It was animated. I'm sure Disney can afford an animator who could figure it out.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Guess not then.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Why would they hire a child actor to play child Star Lord when they could have just filmed Chris Pratt and shrunk him? Is it because Disney is too poor??

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I absolutely will not go to bat for Chris Pratt on anything else but him getting grief for being downtrodden in a Christmas special where his character is downtrodden is extremely loving weird.

Like there's plenty to dunk on him about but having a flat affect when he's playing someone depressed at Christmas ain't it. That's just what that poo poo looks like.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 29, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

enki42 posted:

they broke out of their usual time period - was definitely surprised to hear a very obscure Smashing Pumpkins song prominently featured.

Peter got a Zune at the end of GotG 2, he's hooked in up to the 00s now

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The Zune was a good gag for something set in 2014 and for someone who hasn't been back to Earth yet. In a special set at least 10 years later, and having actually visited his home planet (for an unspecified amount of time) the GameBoy was a pretty lame gift that doesn't work beyond lol he's stuck in the past.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Do they ever mention why quill never goes back to earth to visit his dad or other family members that are probably still around since his moms death

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Tiberius Christ posted:

Do they ever mention why quill never goes back to earth to visit his dad or other family members that are probably still around since his moms death

Granddad you mean?

So I don't remember where I read this and I could be entirely wrong here, but I seem to remember James Gunn saying something like Peter for various (perhaps PTSD-related) reasons hates Earth. When he was stuck on Earth at the end of Endgame he couldn't wait to get off. He finds it repulsive, sort of like how I find Florida

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Parkingtigers posted:

The Zune was a good gag for something set in 2014 and for someone who hasn't been back to Earth yet. In a special set at least 10 years later, and having actually visited his home planet (for an unspecified amount of time) the GameBoy was a pretty lame gift that doesn't work beyond lol he's stuck in the past.

Two of my younger friends recently got married and between the two of them I’m pretty sure they have the largest privately owned collection of vintage GameBoys in Kentucky. Kids loving love that old poo poo and I don’t get it even though it was technically made for me.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
If you translate Groot's language into English it's actually nonstop kvetching about Gameboy framerate issues and just wanting to emulate with a Raspberry Pi instead so he can use a mouse like The Root Liege (pbut] intended.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

stev posted:

They barely convinced Chris Pratt to show up and deliver monotone line readings. Getting him to pretend to be his younger self - and not even appear on screen - would've taken a miracle.

This was filmed along with Guardians 3 so it wasn't like they had to call him in from other stuff. I don't think his acting was bad at all so these takes are weird.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I wish I still had my old Gameboy, it would be incredible if someone gave me one for Christmas now

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I thought the holiday special sucked and it was very weirdly shot with lots of lingering, awkward silent scenes and not enough dialogue, and the dialogue that was there fell flat at every moment. I got the distinct impression Pratt and Bautista didn't want to be there at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Bautista has already stated he wants out, and GotG3 will be his last film. But yeah, Pratt seemed like he was one foot out the door filming this. I suspect the next film will be his last too.