Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Pungry posted:

I think the only thing Paul Maurice teams do well is make a young highly-touted goalie look good. Spencer Knight was incredible in the game against the Oilers and should've had a regulation win but a late too many men call on a power play gave the Oilers the momentum to tie the game with 4 seconds left and immediately win in OT. You can tell me the fancy stats should mean the Panthers will regress positively and start winning soon but night after night it's felt like this absolute disaster types of games for them. What has to happen for Paul Maurice to be fired? Is it just missing the playoffs? Because I will gladly see the Panthers miss.

You will have Paul Maurice until he slams the window shut and nails it in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Rangers top 9 needs to be some combination of

Laf - Zib -Kakko
Panarin - Chytil - Kravtsov
Kreider - Trocheck - X

That leaves:

Goodrow
Gauthier
Carpenter
Blais
Vesey

GG needs to be told that he can line up those top 8 players however he wants, and use that pool of leftover players for the 3RW (or 3LW if he moves Laf to the right) spot and the fourth line, but THATS IT. No more putting those guys in the top six.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/DreDay___/status/1597225361963876352

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I definitely trust a list and stat saying Erik Gudbranson had one of the best offensive games of all time.
It just means he was on the ice at the same time that his team took a lot of dangerous shot attempts. The list is all defensemen because this stat is a raw total that is easier to accumulate the more ice time you get. Especially if the game goes to OT, which it did.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I know what the stat means, its just completely useless without any context.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Does anyone have experience/some technical knowhow for dodging blackout restrictions? I have ESPN+ and a sub to Nord, but I can't get everything to line up.

When I use Nord on my computer, I can get around the blackout no problem if I just choose a server outside the blackout region. On my TV, no dice. I have an Apple TV and a tp-link router. I have the VPN connection on my router, but I get an error whenever I try to watch any stream. When I use Nord's smart DNS, apps won't even launch; they just get stuck on their loading splash pages.

This touches enough weird issues that I'm not even sure where to ask, but maybe this thread has someone that matches my set up close enough to give me some advice.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I actually think this Rangers group (excepting Captain Elbows) is the most likable of my lifetime, but it still brings me great joy when they lose.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I had a wild dream last night where the NHL overturned the Austin Matthews draft lottery results 5 years later and awarded Matthews to Vegas of all teams. And Mario and Zelda were involved somehow

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I had a wild dream last night where the NHL overturned the Austin Matthews draft lottery results 5 years later and awarded Matthews to Vegas of all teams. And Mario and Zelda were involved somehow

Your subconscious could run the league better than the people running it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Rangers were a pretty mediocre team with a goalie playing out of his mind last year imo. The goalie is playing a little worse and the rest of the team is still pretty mediocre. Hence .500.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mcmagic posted:

The Rangers were a pretty mediocre team with a goalie playing out of his mind last year imo. The goalie is playing a little worse and the rest of the team is still pretty mediocre. Hence .500.

They've actually been significantly better this year 5v5. Top 10 in the league. Their PP hasn't been as good though and like you said -- just OK goaltending.

They're still 10-4-3 with Shesterkin in though. Halak is 0-5-1 with an .881 :stare:

The Devils are actually above water now on GS/GA above expected which is pretty wild after the last couple of years. 4.9 scored above expected. 5.91 saved above expected. I expect they'll lose a few more games here soon if Vanecek's play drops. That or he's gonna get a Vezina nom and this season rules harder than we can possibly imagine.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 29, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Caps-Canucks is going to be a gong show tonight.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

The Devils are actually above water now on GS/GA above expected which is pretty wild after the last couple of years. 4.9 scored above expected. 5.91 saved above expected. I expect they'll lose a few more games here soon if Vanecek's play drops. That or he's gonna get a Vezina nom and this season rules harder than we can possibly imagine.

The last two games especially they were outplayed for large portions of the game and had a few bounces go their way so this tracks.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah no way I’m gonna watch that live with a 10PM puck drop on a work night…

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Chad Sexington posted:

Caps played great against the Devils last game tbh. Not sure if that's repeatable or they're starting to look healthy but after that game I'm a little more in "they might stick around" camp.

The Sonny Milano pickup was astute, he's a good NHLer.

mcmagic posted:

The last two games especially they were outplayed for large portions of the game and had a few bounces go their way so this tracks.

They need to get the PP going. Luckily the PK has been good so it's evening out, but can't keep going 19%.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

T-Bone posted:

Caps played great against the Devils last game tbh. Not sure if that's repeatable or they're starting to look healthy but after that game I'm a little more in "they might stick around" camp.

They need to get the PP going. Luckily the PK has been good so it's evening out, but can't keep going 19%.

We lost that game cause that Hughes kid and Vanacek activated a cheat code.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1597627767696560130?s=20&t=RXIwhQjXIKyFvNCgn0XhrA

I was gonna ask if he's really been that good, but a brief look at his boxcar stats suggests "yes."

e: that is a crazy shooting percentage from him. 15.8% or better since his rookie year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

T-Bone posted:

What they are good at on offense is creating off the rush which is more conducive to 5v5 than the PP. I'm not surprised that the PP is just OK.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

T-Bone posted:

Yeah, the Caps top two lines looked good and I'd expect them to perform better against the Canucks. And then the Canucks have scored 4 or more in their last six games and Lavy is for some reason sticking with the Gustafsson-Carlson pairing despite them getting caved in, so I think the Canucks will be scoring a lot.

I bet the over, is I guess what I'm saying.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Never been more punished than when I traded Hintz in a keeper league right before he blew up. I still think his on-ice results have a lot to do with Robertson though.

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1597626807087497233?s=20&t=02QWBxBqYZBXzgcC_AVr7Q

So Micah’s got a couple newish charts he’s throwing around, this one is essentially how much goals allowed sequencing has affected a team’s points in the standings and he’s got another up in the thread that’s the same for goals scored (didn’t want to poo poo the thread up with a million tweets).

I have my reservations on how useful it actually is to track this stuff vs. what we always used to do which is look at goal differential at the trade deadline and target outliers for regression, but it’s very funny to me to see the Leafs basically uncontested in quadrants called “Clutch” and “Severely Punished.” Whatever this team is doing it’s never boring.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Koopa Kid posted:

Never been more punished than when I traded Hintz in a keeper league right before he blew up. I still think his on-ice results have a lot to do with Robertson though.]

He was raising eyebrows before Robertson joined, but to your point he's looked even crazier since Robo has come up. A good line got better.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2022/11/29/23484080/philadelphia-flyers-john-tortorella-quote-morgan-frost-toilet-seat

quote:

For Tortorella, to really hit home the point that Frost’s game-by-game play is a little erratic, he decided to pull an analogy from seemingly out of nowhere.

“You look at Frosty, I still think he’s up and down like a toilet seat here, as far as you see him coming, then he dips, and then you see him coming,” he said. “Hopefully, it levels out and keeps going in the proper direction, because he’s supposed to be a skilled guy. You can see it’s there, but it’s still very inconsistent.”

it's just too easy at this point

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mcmagic posted:

What they are good at on offense is creating off the rush which is more conducive to 5v5 than the PP. I'm not surprised that the PP is just OK.

My gut/eyes/etc tell me that their movement has been pretty good but that they're not enough of a threat to shoot off the wall with Hughes/Bratt which allows teams to overplay their preferred mid-ice cross pass. I'd like to see Bratt/Hughes drive the net more often when they curl off the wall to draw defenders outside. They have the speed to do it and it should open up more seams.

Hand Knit posted:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1597627767696560130?s=20&t=RXIwhQjXIKyFvNCgn0XhrA

I was gonna ask if he's really been that good, but a brief look at his boxcar stats suggests "yes."

e: that is a crazy shooting percentage from him. 15.8% or better since his rookie year.

pls take this deal jesper

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 29, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

He was raising eyebrows before Robertson joined, but to your point he's looked even crazier since Robo has come up. A good line got better.

Bit young for Dallas to sign to such a big contract though. Should have waited a couple more years.

That's going to look like a great contract in a couple years I bet.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe! But given this is the same team that wanted to sign old man Ryan Suter to a multi-year contract, I'd much prefer trying the same with younger players that have a whole career ahead of em.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Hand Knit posted:

Nothin wrong with that deal other than they didn’t offer the exact same contract to Robertson last summer

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah he’s certainly a good player in his own right, he looked like at least a 55-60pt high-energy guy without Robertson, but together they’re crazy good

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

T-Bone posted:

they could easily have lost games they won by 3+ goals recently. kind of expecting that run of carolina boston florida games in late december to be rough

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Goodbye, Gurianov. Cap casualty status all but confirmed.

Hello, eight more years of this.

https://twitter.com/grodysattva/status/1506470084755304448

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

The Dirty Burger posted:

Nothin wrong with that deal other than they didn’t offer the exact same contract to Robertson last summer

yeah.... yeah :(

DOOMocrat posted:

Goodbye, Gurianov. Cap casualty status all but confirmed.

I still have hope they can work him into being a very useful player for them.. he's looked good since he came back from injury!

the cap crunch is the next 2 seasons, after that everything frees up tremendously with alot of poo poo that's been clogging up the drain finally getting flushed out (Benn, Lindell, Faksa, Suter)

Not sure if they can fit Joe Pavelski back under the cap for next season but I hope they give it an honest try :(

**looking at the Stars cap picture going forward the key thing that jumps out to me is that they have to stop signing these depth players in free agency. They've got this amazing resource of all these players in their early to mid 20's on their AHL team who are locked in at league minimum contracts (more or less), time to use that instead of shelling out $1.5 mill for Luke Glendening to center your 4th line and $1.8 mill for Colin MIller to play on your 3rd defense pairing.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 29, 2022

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Faksa's probably not worth his deal still but now that he isn't leading the forwards in TOI and is being given realistic matchups instead of every matchup he's gone from "liability" to "fine" again, imo.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
man, Pastrnak is going to get like $11 million a year (and he would deserve it IMO)

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

The Dirty Burger posted:

I will never stop melting down over this

Boxman posted:

Does anyone have experience/some technical knowhow for dodging blackout restrictions? I have ESPN+ and a sub to Nord, but I can't get everything to line up.
I also am trying to perform dark magic with VPNs and smart DNS to no avail, how do I make ESPN+ bend to my will, goons

Kupo! fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 29, 2022

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Robertson wasn't ever going to get what he was worth without getting what was Jamie Benn's money. No asset they could move among those depth stinker signings and Esa's reward for breaking up the puck at the blue line for a few national games would have been positive. It sucks; it was inevitable.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

DOOMocrat posted:

Robertson wasn't ever going to get what he was worth without getting what was Jamie Benn's money. No asset they could move among those depth stinker signings and Esa's reward for breaking up the puck at the blue line for a few national games would have been positive. It sucks; it was inevitable.

The small upside here is that Benn just remembered how to play hockey and not just punch mans

We’ll see if that’s sustainable, but it’s been entertaining so far

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Much like with Faksa, who knew not running the older guy with terrible wheels ragged means he performs better when he has legit chances. It's almost as if Bowness while one of the best players coaches to ever do it is dogshit at actual management.

Edit: My pocket theory of the Benn revival is cocaine. He's thinner and more energetic, and quirkier.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Rangers top 9 needs to be some combination of

Laf - Zib -Kakko
Panarin - Chytil - Kravtsov
Kreider - Trocheck - X

That leaves:

Goodrow
Gauthier
Carpenter
Blais
Vesey

GG needs to be told that he can line up those top 8 players however he wants, and use that pool of leftover players for the 3RW (or 3LW if he moves Laf to the right) spot and the fourth line, but THATS IT. No more putting those guys in the top six.

Watching that full game last night and just comparing the Devils' rebuild to the Rangers. Both started around the same general time frame and both teams just won the lottery constantly and I hate them both for it. I feel like the non-lottery core of the Rangers is better than the Devils, but the Devils got two players worthy of their draft status who are now carrying their team and the Rangers got...Laf and Kakko

Kakko has the fancy stats and can show stretches of being strong on the puck and good in the corners but doesn't generate many points and has a pretty weak shot. But at least he has a skill that can be pointed to as something to watch develop. But what can Laf do? I watch them pretty often and I just don't see any plus skills whatsoever and have no idea how he was a #1 overall pick. Even when I'm actively looking for him he has so many games where he does literally nothing until he takes some dumb stick penalty in the o zone late as his only contribution to the game.

I watched young John Tavares get a lot of poo poo because he entered the league with his only plus skills being more intangible like his hockey iq and having good hands, but he was too slow and weak to use them often in space. But you saw flashes of potential and how he'd often position himself really well for easy goals as a rookie.

He still got a lot of heat from places like the Toronto media who questioned if he had any dynamic ability to his game, but every offseason he would target one particular skill and just hammer it for months and you'd see vast improvements year to year. One offseason was skating. He'll never be a burner, but he went from an awful rookie skater to an average skater in year 2. Then it was his shot, faceoffs, etc etc. You'd see the year to year improvement and potential where if it came together he could be that poor man's Crosby grinder style kinda player. And that's exactly what he became.

I just haven't seen anything like that from Laf at all and see no plus skills whatsoever. But he was obviously the consensus #1 for a reason. I'm not trying to bury a 21 year old just yet but is there something I'm missing with him?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I would argue Dallas is in the honeymoon phase of the Peter DeBoer experience. They'll be fun and exciting this year, and then next year everyone will die, and you'll be wondering why they don't have any better ideas on offense than Jason Robertson shooting puck from the corner.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Iodised QQ posted:

Watching that full game last night and just comparing the Devils' rebuild to the Rangers. Both started around the same general time frame and both teams just won the lottery constantly and I hate them both for it. I feel like the non-lottery core of the Rangers is better than the Devils, but the Devils got two players worthy of their draft status who are now carrying their team and the Rangers got...Laf and Kakko

Kakko has the fancy stats and can show stretches of being strong on the puck and good in the corners but doesn't generate many points and has a pretty weak shot. But at least he has a skill that can be pointed to as something to watch develop. But what can Laf do? I watch them pretty often and I just don't see any plus skills whatsoever and have no idea how he was a #1 overall pick. Even when I'm actively looking for him he has so many games where he does literally nothing until he takes some dumb stick penalty in the o zone late as his only contribution to the game.

It's really not right that Hughes and Nico are carrying the Devils. They have both been really good this year but Bratt might be the best player on the devils and he was a 6th round pick... And they completely redid the defense with 1 free agent signing and 3 REALLY smart trades, the high pick Dmen aren't even here yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
KK is at least good analytically despite the lack of production. He has a pretty high xgoals despite getting some of the lowest % of o-zone starts on the Rangers.

Laf gets a lot of o-zone starts and is mediocre analytically and production-wise. I don't watch the Rangers enough to know why that is but when I watch them Laf seems like he just doesn't have any high end thing to point to. His skating is good but not amazing. His edgework is nothing special. His shot is ok. His hands are ok. I can see why he did well in juniors because his total package of skill is pretty solid and there's no glaring weaknesses but I don't see any one thing that stands out either.

Compare that to like Jack Hughes who has S+ tier skating or even Kakko who has standout size and puck protection ability. I just don't know what Laf's thing is. It's fine to just be rounded and not a standout at anything if you also have a high level hockey mind but I don't feel like he does.