Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Randalor posted:

So how long do you think it took him to realize that it wasn't just his friends/followers pretending to arrest him but the actual FBI performing an actual raid on his house?

Less than seventeen minutes.

Think of what an entertaining defense he would have had had he not destroyed evidence.

He could have maintained that when he was Mirandized, he believed that that was part of the prank.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Platystemon posted:

Less than seventeen minutes.

Think of what an entertaining defense he would have had had he not destroyed evidence.

He could have maintained that when he was Mirandized, he believed that that was part of the prank.

The FBI stood around outside for 12 hours. They showed up at 6am and didn’t arrest him until 6:30 pm per the report.

That’s an awful long time to let someone try and destroy data on their devices.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Huh, weird, there's enough votes to overcome the filibuster for nuking a union into the dirt but ask about, like, voting rights to try to keep society functioning and it's endless hemming and hawing. Yeah. Weird.

Weeeeeeird.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

bird food bathtub posted:

Huh, weird, there's enough votes to overcome the filibuster for nuking a union into the dirt but ask about, like, voting rights to try to keep society functioning and it's endless hemming and hawing. Yeah. Weird.

Weeeeeeird.

Why is it weird that Republicans will get on board to vote for this but not voting rights

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Railroad workers should strike but there is nothing weird st all about the federal government ganging up to gently caress over a union

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Grip it and rip it posted:

Railroad workers should strike but there is nothing weird st all about the federal government ganging up to gently caress over a union

Just came here to ask if the GOP would encourage a shutdown with the sole goal of saying "BIDEN DISASTER" and owning the libs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would be so owned if the GOP respected the union’s decision.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Platystemon posted:

I would be so owned if the GOP respected the union’s decision.

No they can help gently caress over the union (their goal) while still blaming Biden for loving over the union (Also their goal). Because in this case Biden is straight up loving over the union.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Wouldn't have been more in the GOPs interests for the strike to happen before the midterms? As of now, a strike would have to drag on for years to have the desired results.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Biden is loving over the union? Seriously? Did you read the statement? He said he's PRO LABOR case closed!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Marco Rubio has came out in support of rail workers and refuses to vote for any bill they do not support.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr. Nice! posted:

Marco Rubio has came out in support of rail workers and refuses to vote for any bill they do not support.

If Biden gets the GOP to support a union I might actually think hes a good president

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Goddamn it.

I hate that this vociferous piece of poo poo is (sort of) taking the (sort of) right position on this. Mostly because it’s all smoke and mirrors bullshit, he’s anti union and labor as any loving GOP scum is.

The real problem is the DNC is scum too, just scum that’s socially cooler with a wider array of things than the GOP. After that it’s all window dressing at a peep show. In that, yeah, it’s there. But so loving what?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I will say he isn't saying it from a pro-union standpoint and blasted union bosses as the ones responsible for the failed agreement.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Goddamn it.

I hate that this vociferous piece of poo poo is (sort of) taking the (sort of) right position on this. Mostly because it’s all smoke and mirrors bullshit, he’s anti union and labor as any loving GOP scum is.

The real problem is the DNC is scum too, just scum that’s socially cooler with a wider array of things than the GOP. After that it’s all window dressing at a peep show. In that, yeah, it’s there. But so loving what?

Kinda like Rand Paul's take on drones (mostly). Piece of poo poo human but they were doing good on that one.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

That Works posted:

Kinda like Rand Paul's take on drones (mostly). Piece of poo poo human but they were doing good on that one.

Broken clocks and all that.

Looking forward to the memory holing of January 6th and the real red wave that brings us President DeSantis, Speaker Gosar, and Majority Leader Herschel Walker.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Broken clocks and all that.

Looking forward to the memory holing of January 6th and the real red wave that brings us President DeSantis, Speaker Gosar, and Majority Leader Herschel Walker.

I didn't realize they picked majority leader by who has the most kids.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arrath posted:

I didn't realize they picked majority leader by who has the most kids.

I met Herschel Walker at the end of my career at an in patient psychiatric hospital in Texas for AD folks where his crazy rear end came to tell all of us broke brains that if he can have psychosis and multiple personality disorder, AND be a millionaire (I had my doubts on the millionaire thing at the time) than we could just will our way to sanity and fortunes. I mean, I could write a loving essay about the encounter, but honestly it’s less crazy than the poo poo that came out and is public knowledge now.

That’s how loving awful and crazy that man is, and I’ll be goddamned if drat near half of Georgian voters didn’t go ahead and vote for the fucker anyway.

He gets into the Senate? I quit. I will officially exit the U.S. system of politics and government and just endeavor to find a foreign country where my funbux go far and I don’t HAVE to learn a new language up front, but can over time.

I cannot overstate my disdain for Walker and anyone who voted for him, supported him, and all that. I really cannot.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 29, 2022

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Sweden is nice this time of year.
English is also spoken quite commonly around here (IKEA HQ is close by, so rest of Sweden might be slightly different from my experiences).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SerthVarnee posted:

English is also spoken quite commonly around here (IKEA HQ is close by, so rest of Sweden might be slightly different from my experiences).

US money won't make it very far in Sweden, unfortunately.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I still can't believe that anyone let's Herschel Walker talk to anyone, about anything, especially anything at all that Herschel Walker considers himself to be doing great at.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SerthVarnee posted:

Yeah I can’t afford English speaking Europe, presumably.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/29/tech/twitter-covid-misinformation-policy/index.html

quote:

In 2020, Twitter developed an extensive set of rules that sought to prohibit “harmful misinformation” about the virus and its vaccines.

Between January 2020 and September 2022, Twitter suspended more than 11,000 accounts for breaking Covid misinformation rules and removed almost 100,000 pieces of content that violated those rules, according to statistics published by Twitter. The policy received acclaim from medical professionals: In an advisory to technology platforms, US Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy cited Twitter’s rules as an example of what companies should do to combat misinformation.

Twitter did not appear to formally announce the rule change. Instead, some Twitter users Monday night spotted a note added to the page on Twitter’s website that outlines its Covid policy.

“Effective November 23, 2022, Twitter is no longer enforcing the COVID-19 misleading information policy,” the note read.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Roz from Well There's Your Problem had a good take on Twitter - aside from the general gently caress the bosses standpoint, the issue about overruling a strike is that nobody wants to take the job because the conditions are so poo poo, and if they don't fix how poo poo the conditions are then there's not going to be anybody to replace the rail workers who are aging out and retiring. He gives the railways about 5 years to unfuck the situation and build a pipeline of new trainees before it collapses.

I am very curious to see if there's wildcat strikes if this passes. It seems like the membership of the unions is pretty pissed off, and if people are getting close to quitting anyway then the threat of being fired might not be much of a deterrence.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Isn’t MPD super super rare and renders actual victims practically incapable of sustained functioning?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah I can’t afford English speaking Europe, presumably.

Malta's pretty cheap.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Malta is absolutely beautiful

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I was in Berlin in the summer and felt like a king with the exchange rate, it's too bad the jobs only offer half of what I can make here in Seattle.

All of the companies I visited in Berlin while doing a study tour there seemed to use English as a working language.

The faculty from the German university we were with also seemed to mainly use English, since not all of them were Germans themselves.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

I met Herschel Walker at the end of my career at an in patient psychiatric hospital in Texas for AD folks where his crazy rear end came to tell all of us broke brains that if he can have psychosis and multiple personality disorder, AND be a millionaire (I had my doubts on the millionaire thing at the time) than we could just will our way to sanity and fortunes. I mean, I could write a loving essay about the encounter, but honestly it’s less crazy than the poo poo that came out and is public knowledge now.

That’s how loving awful and crazy that man is, and I’ll be goddamned if drat near half of Georgian voters didn’t go ahead and vote for the fucker anyway.

He gets into the Senate? I quit. I will officially exit the U.S. system of politics and government and just endeavor to find a foreign country where my funbux go far and I don’t HAVE to learn a new language up front, but can over time.

I cannot overstate my disdain for Walker and anyone who voted for him, supported him, and all that. I really cannot.

that is loving wild. You gotta call me up and tell me some stories.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

GD_American posted:

Isn’t MPD super super rare and renders actual victims practically incapable of sustained functioning?

Yes, and not always.
But Walker's diagnosis is ... puzzling.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

I was in Berlin in the summer and felt like a king with the exchange rate, it's too bad the jobs only offer half of what I can make here in Seattle.

All of the companies I visited in Berlin while doing a study tour there seemed to use English as a working language.

The faculty from the German university we were with also seemed to mainly use English, since not all of them were Germans themselves.

Berlin is very much an exception here. Germans on the whole do not speak English, especially once you get away from the biggest cities. I'm only 12km away from the city center (not Berlin, but another major German city) and the only people who speak English are other immigrants. It's all the more surprising when you consider the number of multi-national companies that are headquartered near me. But if you're gonna move to another country, you should learn their language.

Also the salaries are lower but you literally never have to worry about healthcare deductibles, or saving for your kid's college tuition, or getting shot in a Walmart. The public childcare facilities can be difficult to find a spot in, but they exist. Having a functioning bus and regional train system meant I was able to live without a car for 4 months just fine, and my wife and I only have one between us, despite living in a rural area. I can ride a bike almost everywhere without worrying about getting murdered by an F-350. Seattle may be a bit better than the rest of the US with the things I just mentioned, but as I was just there back in October for a wedding, I've gotta say there's also a noticeable lack of homeless camps and open-air fentanyl use in most major European cities.

There's also a lot of really annoying things about Germany, and I don't plan on staying here forever, but I'm definitely not moving back to the US.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 29, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lets form an expat town in mexico.

E: with blackjack, and hookers.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 29, 2022

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lets form an expat town in mexico.

E: with blackjack, and hookers.

Just join the one thats there already of former us servicemembers and their families who got deported anyway

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

psydude posted:

Seattle may be a bit better than the rest of the US with the things I just mentioned, but as I was just there back in October for a wedding, I've gotta say there's also a noticeable lack of homeless camps and open-air fentanyl use in most major European cities.

Alright, I'm gonna run up in here and present a story and a question about this.

I currently live in Atlanta, and I've seen homeless camps and people out panhandling and all that stuff. I had to go to my brothers wedding in po-dunk washington outside of olympia, and the entire time I was there I had to listen to my brothers in-laws and various guests complain about how traffic is just awful and there's homeless everywhere and it's not safe in Seattle or Tacoma. Mind you this was before the pandemic.

My rear end spent about two and half weeks running around Seattle and Tacoma and neither the traffic nor homeless appeared all that much of a big deal to me by comparison. Was everyone just on vacation?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stravag posted:

Just join the one thats there already of former us servicemembers and their families who got deported anyway

They already speak some english.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

Alright, I'm gonna run up in here and present a story and a question about this.

I currently live in Atlanta, and I've seen homeless camps and people out panhandling and all that stuff. I had to go to my brothers wedding in po-dunk washington outside of olympia, and the entire time I was there I had to listen to my brothers in-laws and various guests complain about how traffic is just awful and there's homeless everywhere and it's not safe in Seattle or Tacoma. Mind you this was before the pandemic.

My rear end spent about two and half weeks running around Seattle and Tacoma and neither the traffic nor homeless appeared all that much of a big deal to me by comparison. Was everyone just on vacation?

Depends on where you were, maybe? I was staying at a hotel right in downtown Seattle that was a block away from a pretty large open-air drug market and there were a lot of people smoking fentanyl, shooting up heroin, etc. in broad daylight. But I also went to my buddy's house up in Ballard and there were tents all along the sidewalk in a few areas, so it's more widespread than just downtown.

It sounds like the city has made some strides toward fixing the problem, including community-focused policing, public housing, etc., but it's still noticeably present.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Defenestrategy posted:

The wife and I have noticed similar complaints from similarly sized places in regards to traffic. Everyone seems to think their traffic is the worst until they try driving in either LA or DC area, then they quickly shut up about their traffic. I believe most of these towns have "traffic issues" because they refuse to develop proper infrastructure to support their growing population, because it would make them lose their "small town feel".

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

psydude posted:

There's also a lot of really annoying things about Germany, and I don't plan on staying here forever, but I'm definitely not moving back to the US.

Retire to Garmisch.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Atlanta is actually worse I think. Not from there but I've driven all these places and hoo boy I'd take DC or *shudder* Boston over Atlanta as a driving city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've never understood why New Jersey gets a reputation for poo poo driving, yeah nobody follows traffic law but the unwritten rules of local convention are easy to pick up through osmosis in just a few days and work better