Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The manifestos have been decent, but if we are getting patch notes on Thursday, I really want to see a shake up in skill balance. Nerf RF and LS, but we really need to get some meaningful buffs to a lot of underused skills, or this is going to be another league that dies in 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Mulozon Empuri posted:

Yes this sounds like fun, but is it really?

Yes

Based on the absolutely ridiculous amount of hours people played sentinel league, ima also go with: yes definitely

theshim posted:

Not to beat a dead horse too hard, but Diablo 3 is an excellent example of things being too easy to acquire, to the point that you can basically have your almost completely optimized build done in a day or two with no room for upgrades beyond fractions of a percent. It's fun to pick up for a couple days every few seasons or so, but it has no staying power. There has to be something to work towards that isn't trivially achievable or there's no point to continue playing for the vast, vast majority of players. This isn't a contentious opinion, it's easily observable fact.

poe has never even remotely come close to d3 rate of progession and even if you look at harvest (the season, or the reintroduction in ritual) or sentinel you'll notice that the defining thing of each is that people played until the end of the season because the process of making good items still took days/weeks in 99% of cases. I get why ggg is concerned about the potential of too rapid progress lest the game end up as shallow as d3, but even the leagues with the highest ceiling of crafting power have never been within a factor of 20 of diablo 3s rate of progress.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 29, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BadMedic posted:

So I want to preface this by saying that GGG has been loving up a lot lately, so this isn't entirely a defense of them

But, there is a lot of evidence in online games that too much of the 'good poo poo' can be amazing for a while, then just jump directly into 'never play the game again' burnout. LoL I think, had a 'hyper' mode for a bit (IDK the name I don't play LoL) which the players described as the best LoL has ever been by a huge margin. The devs also found that players would binge that mode for about a week, then never touch the game again. Which isn't great for the long term survival of an online game.

So there's some line between "Awesome league, can't wait for what's next" and "Awesome-er league, I'm skipping the next (or more)" that GGG is understandably very nervous about crossing. The league system gives them some safety in this cause it's a great way of managing burnout, but the risk is still there.
My hot take is that there was something in their numbers for sentinel league that scared them, but uhhhh kalandra was pretty much the worst possible response to that fear. Turns out a bad league will make people drop the game too, weird how that works.

the reason leagues hyper mode caused burnout is because for years and years before they first ran Ultra Rapid Fire is the games were too long and it was too hard to come back from being behind so you had a lot of 10+ minute periods where the game was over, had been over for 10 or 15 minutes before that but you needed to suffer through because one guy on your team wouldn't surrender and the enemy team wouldn't push. so they'd often be 45 minute matches at this time.

then they made a mode which clearly demonstrated that a league match could be 20 minutes max, but they just didn't want to do that.

THATS why people only wanted to play URF and wouldn't come back if they weren't running it lol.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
making a badass bleed siege axe took me weeks during harvest league - I played nearly to the end of league perfecting the One Good Axe, and this was at a point when I treated poe as a part time job (which is totally unhealthy and a completely dif can of worms). D3, as stated, takes a weekend to gear up

Every gearapalooza mechanic, recombs, pseudolink influence mods, fossils, og harvest whatever could occur every map and you wouldn't have the kind of speed in gearing that d3 has

Grimoire fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 29, 2022

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the really nice crafting "recipes" are still nondeterministic and (with reforge prefix/suffix dead) frequently have steps that can brick at the end of the craft when you try to do an aisling slam. even if you had unlimited currency most players would run out of patience before actually hitting the perfect item.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

External Organs posted:

With Recombinators specifically, I'm not sure they qualify by themselves as being an overpowered mechanic. As mentioned they incentivize other aspects of the game - picking up floor loot, learning different crafting methods, trading. Then it's another roll of the dice that removes resources from the game.

I'm not sure it's the same as like, stormbrand archmage or herald stacking in Delirium league.

This is an interesting point insofar as there's a degree of subjectivity to this that I think is particularly key and, similarly, that one of the more interesting take aways is that things value or power should not be strictly linked to their absolute value in terms of div or ex. Recombinators were very good, but the particularly remarkable thing about them was their abundance. If Awakener orbs had been released at a similar state of abundance (eg 5-25c a pop for the first half of the season) you would have had a comparable explosion int he amount of people using them for everything and far, far more people singing their praises. Instead, as super rare items it was only a couple of percent of the playerbase that ever even used an awakener orb in the first couple of seasons they were around. Just fundamentally, 99% of the playerbase does not know enough about crafting or the specifically brand new mod pools to get the most out of a 5ex item that they could just sell for it's cash value and get discrete upgrades for.

Recombinators were fun and wild because they were abundant and at a price point that was cheap enough that people could use them non-optimally and not feel like they were throwing away their biggest drop of the day. Early in sentinel league I was trying to figure out how much recombinators would sell for if they were a core part of the game and at awakener orb level of rarity and I'd come back to probably 5-10 ex/div a piece (possibly more, possibly less. the ceiling is high because recombinating mirror items has ludicrous potential to it, but generally most people were just using them to get two fractures on a base or to combine temple mods or yolo some t1 mods together. Basically the discrepancy between the potential and the scarcity/cost wasn't so much overpowered as it was specifically the thing that made them fun. It was 'The Fun Zone' if u will.

Anyways there are always a lot of things in poe that have values/rarities out of proportion to their, like, objective magnitude of absolute build power potential and that gap is, within reason, good and the source of a lot of fun. The season where Ashes and Omni were popular wasn't a bad time, it was a time of people trying a million different builds. Reversing course into making them 60 div items just incinerated the ability for people to have fun with them, even if I can agree with the argument that their actual value vis a vis their power as items facilitating builds is around that high. That massive nerf to their availability (and then additionally to the actual power of omni, too) was one of the most needlessly anti-fun things ggg has done in a while.

tldr: things that are cool and let people play the game in different ways or do things that they don't normally do are the funnest part of POE and should be abundant enough that people can actually engage with them. When you scale their abundance off of their potential value in minmaxed potential you just guarantee that no one uses them outside of the tiny handful of people who figure out how to get 10 div of value per use.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I made a ton of attempts at builds when my 30% ashes was like 2.5ex. Second only to ritual. Played those both to 40 challenges and then some and bought all the packs + a lot of extra points for skill effects.

Hrm, both of those leagues involved being able to mostly deterministically affect weird off-meta builds. Oh well, I'm sure it's nothing.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The season where Ashes and Omni were popular wasn't a bad time, it was a time of people trying a million different builds. Reversing course into making them 60 div items just incinerated the ability for people to have fun with them, even if I can agree with the argument that their actual value vis a vis their power as items facilitating builds is around that high. That massive nerf to their availability (and then additionally to the actual power of omni, too) was one of the most needlessly anti-fun things ggg has done in a while.

idk if I completely agree w/ this - they're both so obviously good that it feels like you have to try to use something else in a build. it feels weird like not even considering other items in the slot except as stepping stones, and if this is the one thing holding back build diversity I feel like that could be fixed elsewhere. I don't think making them rare really solves the problem though unless they get gently caress-you rare like a headhunter or something

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I am going to insist that skill gem quality should be an affix in rare jewelry.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It feels like such poo poo these days being off meta lol. For gods sake just buff the bad skills already.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

JamesKPolk posted:

idk if I completely agree w/ this - they're both so obviously good that it feels like you have to try to use something else in a build. it feels weird like not even considering other items in the slot except as stepping stones, and if this is the one thing holding back build diversity I feel like that could be fixed elsewhere. I don't think making them rare really solves the problem though unless they get gently caress-you rare like a headhunter or something

Yeah it's dumb if they are so op that they're in 80% of builds, but also there's a middle ground between making them a 1% drop from a boss that requires running 30 maps to get one chance at.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
The fact that strikes haven't received barely even a token pass since 3.7, and have been actively nerfed via threshold jewel removal and stat sticks is incomprehensible to me.

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

It feels like such poo poo these days being off meta lol. For gods sake just buff the bad skills already.

I agree with this. I don't have enough time these days not to play an OP build and I'm tired of explosive arrow.

If I was uneployed I would play the poo poo out of HC ruthless though. I take back everything bad I've ever said about bold guys skills in game design.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

External Organs posted:

How about this Elentor: in ssf they can redesign rogue exile encounters so if you do them right you can make them friendly and go back to their hideouts, where they have gear you can trade for just like in trade league.

Maybe using some kind of PokeBall mechanic... Or offering them treats? I don't know I'm not a designer. I love rogue exiles though.
Alternate hitting the rogue exile with bait and rocks until you manage to catch them with a safari orb.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

boo_radley posted:

Path of Exile: I have far more fun than I would have if I had to play the game.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1597683322372509696?s=20&t=DPwVOtlFUPvWWMiI6n0W-g

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No!!! What is 12/7 ??? Why !!!! Whyyyyy

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

euphronius posted:

Don't worry your pretty little head over that because you'll never see one of those cards.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

euphronius posted:

It's very funny.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

whypick1 posted:

Don't worry your pretty little head over that because you'll never see one of those cards.

It's only worth 0.583 divines, so it might be common enough to show up every so often from a stacked deck or whatever

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

euphronius posted:

...this is a really interesting fraction. It's 1.7+1/70, somehow.
edit: ah, it's because 1/.98 (which is found via 12/7 into 5/7 into 5/70 then 5/490) is 1.02040816 etc, it's a taylor series number.

7/12 is probably what you were more interested in though, that's just .58333

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 29, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

McFrugal posted:

...this is a really interesting fraction.

Wrong way around. 7 Divines = 12 cards.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Hey Herstory, because of the curse manifesto it's likely i'll play a starter who uses Stone of Lazhwar throughout so thanks for the spell block discussion

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I'm gonna make a stupid eye of malice / scales of justice / the black zenith elementalist and use charged dash with some mana leach and the agnostic/mind over matter to zip around nuking things with giant aoe blazing salvo :nyan:

Do not recommend

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Larry Parrish posted:

GGG: No. Only nerf.

It makes me sad how this game has an insane amount of skills, and most are newbie traps. You can probably strugglebus your way through the campaign with anything (worst case), but you won't get far in maps.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iirc they said they don’t delete gems becuase people bought micro transactions for them . Idk that is somewhat plausible

They could just refund the points

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what about the ones without mtx lol

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The manifestos have me thinking about coming back this league for the first time in a year-ish, but I'd be getting a late start and don't really feeling like dealing with trade so I might try SSF. How bad of an idea is this if I only half-understand crafting and don't have hours each day to sink into the game? Over the course of a season I generally just aim to hit red maps and maybe take a crack or two at the endgame bosses, so my goals aren't super high.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
The biggest, absolutely #1 thing, about SSF is that everything takes longer to do, even after you've geared sufficiently to take on endgame. Since you can't just go buy maps/map fragments to go fight the pinnacle/atlas boss you like, you have to do it the old fashioned way, by running t15+ maps to build up 'charge' so it lets you go punch a blue/red rear end in a top hat pinnacle boss (or collect atlas bosses until Maven lets you punch those until they drop enough key fragments to let you punch her.

Nothing about that stops anyone from jumping into SSF whenever, hell you can start in SSF if this is your first ever time playing PoE, but just be aware that it's going to take a lot more time and effort to get to that endgame than if you just hang out in trade and buy the stuff you need to punch the boss you want.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Big Mad Drongo posted:

The manifestos have me thinking about coming back this league for the first time in a year-ish, but I'd be getting a late start and don't really feeling like dealing with trade so I might try SSF. How bad of an idea is this if I only half-understand crafting and don't have hours each day to sink into the game? Over the course of a season I generally just aim to hit red maps and maybe take a crack or two at the endgame bosses, so my goals aren't super high.

if you aren't 100% cool with rolling your own gear, don't SSF.

pick a build that doesn't need a bunch of niche things and just do maps, save currency, and buy upgrades.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I do about 30-40 hours per league. 20-30 before I get to red maps. My pb to maps is like 12hrs something.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boo_radley posted:

Path of Exile: I have far more fun than I would have if I had to play the game.

I have my roots in EVE Online

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Thanks for the replies. I really like the idea of finding/upgrading my own gear rather than zooming through maps ignoring anything that isn't currency, and I'm at least capable of putting together basic equipment, but the time factor is a big deal.

Might give it a shot and if it sucks, ah well. I just really hate sitting in trade instead of playing the game, even if it lets me zoom through tiers of content, so maybe I'll actually last longer before burnout even with a longer grind.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Good

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1597715828212125697?t=3TDH3TV9suFwXkpPxh2KFg&s=19

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

About loving time

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Thanks for the replies. I really like the idea of finding/upgrading my own gear rather than zooming through maps ignoring anything that isn't currency, and I'm at least capable of putting together basic equipment, but the time factor is a big deal.

Might give it a shot and if it sucks, ah well. I just really hate sitting in trade instead of playing the game, even if it lets me zoom through tiers of content, so maybe I'll actually last longer before burnout even with a longer grind.

you can always just migrate from SSF to trade league if you hate it

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
trade also makes it easier to get the commodities you need to make your own gear--buying/finding something with a decent fracture stat and throwing essences at it is a way to make shockingly decent stuff now without a lot of effort. you're still trading for the essences unless you farm up a huge stockpile of em, but that's just like buying something from The Store instead of hunting for specific gear upgrades.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thank the heavens because I was never ever going to memorize these

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

You don't _have_ to use trade, you could just do what a lot of other goons do: play the game in trade, maybe dip into the guild stash or ask if anyone's got a thing you want/need for a build and only trade within that (or in #5555, the 'general goons' global channel ingame). SSF started that way, before it was an actual 'league' mode of its own, just as an unenforced thing people did for a challenge.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
gently caress finally, I never remember what is what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I think it's probably fine but why not play trade? The league hasn't started yet. I think it starts on like the...9th?

I am a full time non WFH job guy / have a 2.5 toddler and a wife, I probably only play like 5-10 hours a week during the fun part of the league then I drop off. It's still a good time. Just don't like theorycraft an omni build or some poo poo.