Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

90s Cringe Rock posted:

What's the best flight simulator option on the deck if I mostly just want to bum around in a piper cub in the middle of nowhere?

You might try FSX, honestly, since it's pretty old it will probably run fine. If you have a good PC running MSFS2020 and you're on the same network you could play it via Steam desktop sharing too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

parasyte posted:

You have to change that setting to allow the game to see other resolutions than the default (1280x800, 1280x720 when docked). The internal display really is only 800p, but Gamescope will rescale the rendered window to the display's size so running at 1080p on the internal monitor is a kind of supersampling.

Good to know.

I wish there was a global setting instead of per-game though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What magic incantation do I need to do to get the controller layout menu to open in desktop mode without soft locking the device

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
There's a game I want to play on the Deck. It is Epic Games Store exclusive, but once downloaded, it's DRM-free and can be run even after you uninstall the EGS. Unfortunately the guides I read on how to add DRM-free games on the Deck involve adding the setup file to Steam, and there is no setup file because the EGS handles that all for you. What's my next move?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

History Comes Inside! posted:

What magic incantation do I need to do to get the controller layout menu to open in desktop mode without soft locking the device

It's not locked, it just takes a weirdly long time to open the menu. The solution is to just wait and pray you never have to open the menu again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pirate Jet posted:

There's a game I want to play on the Deck. It is Epic Games Store exclusive, but once downloaded, it's DRM-free and can be run even after you uninstall the EGS. Unfortunately the guides I read on how to add DRM-free games on the Deck involve adding the setup file to Steam, and there is no setup file because the EGS handles that all for you. What's my next move?

Any reason you can’t use Heroic Launcher? It’s a Linux based front for EGS (and GOG). Grab it from the Discover store (in desktop mode), login with EGS, and grab the game?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Pirate Jet posted:

Have you tried Heroic Launcher or other ways of just playing Epic games? There's a bit of setup involved but I can play my Epic Store games pretty easily on the Deck.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Momomo posted:

It's not locked, it just takes a weirdly long time to open the menu. The solution is to just wait and pray you never have to open the menu again.

Vaguely relatedly Retroarch's overlay menu has started taking twenty-thirty seconds to load now and it's getting annoying

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Efb resoundingly

Momomo posted:

I’ll give it another try later and see if patience pays off then!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

One thing I'm running into is that using an external controller with the SD isn't as seemless as it should be. There are some games that see the SD controller and ignore all others.

I hear you can try changing which controller is in slot 1 but I haven't tried that yet

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Any reason you can’t use Heroic Launcher? It’s a Linux based front for EGS (and GOG). Grab it from the Discover store (in desktop mode), login with EGS, and grab the game?

Not really, I just figured it wouldn't be necessary because it's DRM-free - but if I can't find anything else I have it as a fallback.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pirate Jet posted:

Not really, I just figured it wouldn't be necessary because it's DRM-free - but if I can't find anything else I have it as a fallback.

An alternative I’ve seen people try with other games. Install the game on PC then transfer the whole game folder to the Deck. Then it’s a matter of adding the exe to steam and figuring out with proton version works for it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is there no way to see only the games I don’t have installed, or at least sort by download date?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Front Mission Remake launches tonight?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A random Discord conversation reminded me that N++ exists and now I have N++ on my Deck, also N++ works perfectly despite having no Deck badge. You're welcome.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

I said come in! posted:

Front Mission Remake launches tonight?

Please please please let this come out on PC eventually.... :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vichan posted:

Please please please let this come out on PC eventually.... :(

Right :negative: I forgot this is not releasing on PC. I think its Switch only for now.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

parasyte posted:

You have to change that setting to allow the game to see other resolutions than the default (1280x800, 1280x720 when docked). The internal display really is only 800p, but Gamescope will rescale the rendered window to the display's size so running at 1080p on the internal monitor is a kind of supersampling.

Another method I've been using is if it's a steam game, you can go to the game settings and properties from your library, and change the resolution from default to "native." This way I don't need to keep manually adjusting the game resolution when I switch between different displays or the deck screen itself. Still kind of a per game basis and not a perfect solution, but just another alternative. I found that when connecting to an external 1080p display, this shows additional resolutions in game up to 1080p, and then removes them when just playing on the deck.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

One thing I'm running into is that using an external controller with the SD isn't as seemless as it should be. There are some games that see the SD controller and ignore all others.

I hear you can try changing which controller is in slot 1 but I haven't tried that yet

yeah, i don't use the thing docked like at all because it's not worth the effort pairing a controller if i'm not sure it'll work. i want to use it for couch co-op, but i guess pairing two controllers just doesn't work at all and i'm baffled because i consider that basic funtionality. apparently so few people want to play local multiplayer that almost no one is even complaining about it online when you search for it.
:dafuq:

njsykora posted:

A random Discord conversation reminded me that N++ exists and now I have N++ on my Deck, also N++ works perfectly despite having no Deck badge. You're welcome.

xander gave me a copy of that yesterday! p cool

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
How lengthy is the RMA process? I use the Deck ~2 hours per day, but sending it off for a week wouldn't be too bad. My fan is a little "clicky" at any speed, so I assume a few bearings aren't up to par. Steam links iFixit right from their support page, so I am wondering if it would be less hassle to buy a new fan for $25.

Though since I also have some light bleed in the panel, maybe it's worth an RMA.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Ragequit posted:

How lengthy is the RMA process? I use the Deck ~2 hours per day, but sending it off for a week wouldn't be too bad. My fan is a little "clicky" at any speed, so I assume a few bearings aren't up to par. Steam links iFixit right from their support page, so I am wondering if it would be less hassle to buy a new fan for $25.

Though since I also have some light bleed in the panel, maybe it's worth an RMA.

My RMA for a broken usb-c port was about 10 days from shipping out to getting back in the US. I’ve heard international is worse.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm debating replacing the sticks. Not because there's really much wrong except that the left one has rubbed up against the case shell and it feels rough on the edges now. I've cleaned the black gunk off the stick a couple times but it still doesn't feel great. RMA wouldn't be terrible since I can just throw back in the old HD and swap mine when it comes back. Decisions.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'd replace the sticks, even if it meant soldering poo poo. Just read the guide about 20 times before you go through with it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grab the Gulikit ones, IMO.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jokes posted:

I'd replace the sticks, even if it meant soldering poo poo. Just read the guide about 20 times before you go through with it.

Even I, a complete loving idiot at stuff like that, got the soldering done without issue. It was a pain in the rear end because again, I'm an idiot, and I was trying to add the solder and keep the cable in place while also holding the soldering iron at the same time. This video does a MUCH better job of showing how to cut/remove the cable from the original board and how to solder it on the new one (hint: you drop the bead of solder on first then reheat it when connecting the cable)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOgbBi4RBE8

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ugh I don’t want to watch that video because then I’ll want to re-paste the CPU

I already have the good fan and Hall effect joysticks, dammit.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I just installed the Gulikit ones an hour ago since they were on sale over the weekend. Took maybe 20 minutes, the soldering was barely worth mentioning. If you can stick the pointy bit on the metal square without burning yourself or the PCB you’re probably fine.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

ugh I don’t want to watch that video because then I’ll want to re-paste the CPU

I already have the good fan and Hall effect joysticks, dammit.

Is the good fan the one from iFixit, or somewhere else?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm not worried in the least about the soldering. I'm more worried the same poo poo would happen to the new sticks and make them feel lovely too. Not sure if it's a problem with the case tolerances or what but I swore somebody else had this issue as well.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Does anyone have any recommendations for good city builders/sims that work well on the Deck? After playing with the Deck for a few months, I've found that generally stuff that isn't reliant at all on having a mouse cursor works best so the city builder I've enjoyed the most is the relatively simple Kingdoms and Castles. Honestly I do not know how people are playing Rimworld on this thing.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm enjoying playing Civilization VI on this thing. Touch Screen is a great control method for this particular game, the icons are nice and chunky to poke at with my grubby monkey fingers.

I tried Crusader Kings 2 but I found it was pretty overwhelming. might be fun if you connect a kb + mouse though.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 30, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm not worried in the least about the soldering. I'm more worried the same poo poo would happen to the new sticks and make them feel lovely too. Not sure if it's a problem with the case tolerances or what but I swore somebody else had this issue as well.

You can get little plastic guards that'll do a bit better with rubbing the case.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ragequit posted:

As far as I'm aware, iFixit only sells the Huaying Fan, I ordered from them to replace my noisey Delta and got the right fan. Also, replacing the fan is super easy so for the goon who's thinking about the RMA for it, I'd probably just go the iFixit Route unless the screen bleed is bad enough it's going to keep bothering you.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

tater_salad posted:

You can get little plastic guards that'll do a bit better with rubbing the case.

This. My sticks were rubbing and felt very grating. I bought some very overpriced rubber bands that go around the stick specially for the deck joysticks and they feel amazing now.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

sigher posted:

As far as I'm aware, iFixit only sells the Huaying Fan, I ordered from them to replace my noisey Delta and got the right fan. Also, replacing the fan is super easy so for the goon who's thinking about the RMA for it, I'd probably just go the iFixit Route unless the screen bleed is bad enough it's going to keep bothering you.

I am that very goon. The screen pressure trick took care of the light bleed, so iFixit fan it is!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ragequit posted:

iFixit sells the good fan that Valve switched to at some point, because it’s quieter than the original Delta.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is probably a stupid question but how do I just remap a trigger? I have no problem swapping around the other buttons but with the triggers I can "add commands" which will just multitask them. I just want it to do something else. Seems like such a basic thing but I cannot find the option for the life of me.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
tiny rogues got controller support and it's an A+ deck game. dunno if it's still on sale but i think it's just a fiver anyway.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

veni veni veni posted:

This is probably a stupid question but how do I just remap a trigger? I have no problem swapping around the other buttons but with the triggers I can "add commands" which will just multitask them. I just want it to do something else. Seems like such a basic thing but I cannot find the option for the life of me.
The important thing to remember about the Deck's triggers is that they're analog - there's different settings for full and partial presses. If the game itself doesn't use that functionality, the devs may have only set one of the two in the default control scheme - and the "empty" control setting will have "add command" because there's nothing assigned to it. If you don't need the analog functionality, I'd suggest leaving the partial press option empty and only using the full press option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Commander Keene posted:

The important thing to remember about the Deck's triggers is that they're analog - there's different settings for full and partial presses. If the game itself doesn't use that functionality, the devs may have only set one of the two in the default control scheme - and the "empty" control setting will have "add command" because there's nothing assigned to it. If you don't need the analog functionality, I'd suggest leaving the partial press option empty and only using the full press option.

The other way around, put the command on "Soft Pull" so the command triggers as soon as the trigger gets pressed so you don't have to go all the way. You can leave the "Full Pull" empty. Especially if it's a button you have to press with any regularity.

A trick I like to use is to have "Soft Pull" assigned to Fire button and "Full Pull" to Double Fire or Autofire. Useful in all kinds of games that like to make you mash buttons.

e: To better explain this ^
Soft Pull = Left Mouse Click
Full Pull = Left Mouse Click , open the gear icon, settings, toggle Hold to Repeat (Turbo)

Vic fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 30, 2022