Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Soul Dentist posted:

Atlanta is actually worse I think. Not from there but I've driven all these places and hoo boy I'd take DC or *shudder* Boston over Atlanta as a driving city

My dad lived in Georgia for the last decade and I hated driving through Atlanta to get to his place a lot more than here in Chicago. The traffic didn't seem as consistent as Chicago's but even when the roads were moving it felt like everyone there was always willing to die to get where they're going 1 car length faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

SerthVarnee posted:

Sweden is nice this time of year.
English is also spoken quite commonly around here (IKEA HQ is close by, so rest of Sweden might be slightly different from my experiences).

Everyone speaks English here, you can quite literally spend your entire life in Sweden without speaking a lick of Swedish and get by just fine (Getting a job at a non multi-national is a different matter though).

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dum Cumpster posted:

My dad lived in Georgia for the last decade and I hated driving through Atlanta to get to his place a lot more than here in Chicago. The traffic didn't seem as consistent as Chicago's but even when the roads were moving it felt like everyone there was always willing to die to get where they're going 1 car length faster.

A few months of it taking 30 minutes to go a mile will quickly have you wanting to ride the fury road shiny and chrome.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Chicago traffic is not as bad as advertised, but so many highways and interstates converge there that people just have to bitch about it.

I'd rather be launched into the sun in a Tesla than drive in Atlanta again, though. But I also refuse to set foot in Florida again, so maybe it's a persisting anti-southern thing I've got going.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My in-laws live in GA. My wife won’t drive any of the interstates when we visit.

An entire metro area completely dependent on a car to get anywhere, seemingly in love with car culture, and completely hosed by it simultaneously.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Defenestrategy posted:

A few months of it taking 30 minutes to go a mile will quickly have you wanting to ride the fury road shiny and chrome.

I certainly felt more comfortable the last few times I drove down there with my V8 and not in a rental car the size of my engine.

Also I probably just know how/when to avoid the poo poo up here better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Thwomp posted:

My in-laws live in GA. My wife won’t drive any of the interstates when we visit.

An entire metro area completely dependent on a car to get anywhere, seemingly in love with car culture, and completely hosed by it simultaneously.

As an Atlantian, its pretty bad but not much worse than anywhere else I've driven in the country.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Yeah I can’t afford English speaking Europe, presumably.

Malta isn't a bad option.

efb

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Thwomp posted:

The rural outlying areas arguably worse. He was outside Gainesville and after totaling both his cars and being unable to get his rear end anywhere to buy another the finally realized "maybe I SHOULD finally move back up by my kid/grandkids?"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CommieGIR posted:

As an Atlantian, its pretty bad but not much worse than anywhere else I've driven in the country.

Atlanta seems comparable to Denver, honestly, until you account for heat, humidity, and southern hospitality brought out by heat and humidity and being packed on a highway like sardines in a can.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
idk I went bay area to hawaii to LA so anywhere that isn't those spots is like, way chill to me. just go live in the places with the most horrific traffic and get desensitized* hth

*don't do this

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Mmmm. No thanks. Y'all can have the city poo poo. A traffic jam out here is two semis going the same direction on US 160 doing 5mph under the limit.

Definitely lots of road shrapnel out here though, I'll be paying for the warranty on my next set of tires. So many loving nails out here in the high desert.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I use a row of political compass to judge a place's drivers where one axis is MILD -- AGGRO and the other axis is IDIOT -- SKILLED.

Like in Kentucky, drivers aren't very skilled or tactical, but they're also pretty mild and okay with just kinda going with the flow. In NYC drivers are aggressive, but it's like watching a ballet and bumper to bumper traffic can move 60 mph on the FDR. I love this, personally.

Then there's Connecticut or Atlanta drivers, who will do anything to move one car length forward, but have no idea what the dimensions of their vehicle are and are also doing their nails and jacking off at the same time.

Atlanta moves the Overton window towards AGGRO IDIOT

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

psydude posted:

Depends on where you were, maybe? I was staying at a hotel right in downtown Seattle that was a block away from a pretty large open-air drug market and there were a lot of people smoking fentanyl, shooting up heroin, etc. in broad daylight. But I also went to my buddy's house up in Ballard and there were tents all along the sidewalk in a few areas, so it's more widespread than just downtown.

It sounds like the city has made some strides toward fixing the problem, including community-focused policing, public housing, etc., but it's still noticeably present.

A lot of Downtown is in rough shape, especially since the pandemic started and most people started working from home. Locals are way more likely to do stuff in one of the neighborhoods, like Ballard that you visited.

You'll see people living in tents in various other parts of the city, until a solution for affordable housing is found I don't think any US city is going to improve too much anytime soon.

WA offers me a majority of the things that would have motivated me to move to somewhere in Europe.

I've always lived in the city in WA, so I've never had to deal with highway traffic on a daily basis here so honestly that doesn't even come to mind when I think about living around a big(ish) city. I'm pretty lucky that I can easily use Seattle's light rail to get around from where I live.

The natural scenery here in WA is so unbelievably beautiful that I could be having an awful day and getting a view of Mount Rainier, the Cascades, the Olympics, or the Puget Sound will drastically improve my mood.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Atlanta seems comparable to Denver, honestly, until you account for heat, humidity, and southern hospitality brought out by heat and humidity and being packed on a highway like sardines in a can.

Yeah, I hate the heat and humidity, but housing is more affordable than Denver :smith:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Notahippie posted:

Roz from Well There's Your Problem had a good take on Twitter - aside from the general gently caress the bosses standpoint, the issue about overruling a strike is that nobody wants to take the job because the conditions are so poo poo, and if they don't fix how poo poo the conditions are then there's not going to be anybody to replace the rail workers who are aging out and retiring. He gives the railways about 5 years to unfuck the situation and build a pipeline of new trainees before it collapses.

I am very curious to see if there's wildcat strikes if this passes. It seems like the membership of the unions is pretty pissed off, and if people are getting close to quitting anyway then the threat of being fired might not be much of a deterrence.

I'm curious about this as well as I would expect my union to support them if they do. If they get any traction with the teamsters and Longshore, since this could easily happen to them as well, it would be very interesting.

Their industry has the same problem mine does, noone wants to do a poo poo job when work from home is a thing and the money and stress is just not worth it. Theres a huge skills and interest in doing poo poo jobs gap in the labor force as a whole with the boomers finally retiring.

Edit: I'm assuming a railroad strike brings in the TTD which would be big.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 29, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

A.o.D. posted:

Malta isn't a bad option.

efb

Eeh. Malta has catastrophic air quality, a corruption problem that would make Italy blush, bad schools, private health care is a must if you actually use it, non-functional masstransit, very high density outside Gozo, the highest car ownership in Europe and correspondingly bad traffic, etc. But it is cheap.
Not as cheap as it used to be, and the economy is apparently turning bad now after the boom years, but still cheaper than most. One of my childhood friends lives there and we exchange complaints now and again.

Everywhere has its sides, but Malta always looked more like a rich man's city-state/playground than most places to me. Even in spite of the language barrier I'd bet on Italy or Spain for life quality before Malta. Then there's the rest of the Med including Greece and Croatia, and Portugal if we're talking about comparable cheapness

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I hate the heat and humidity, but housing is more affordable than Denver :smith:

Denver being expensive is why I went to the Springs. Then the Springs got stupid expensive so now I'm out in the middle of nowhere. Even a shithole studio is $1k/mo in the Springs now. When I moved there it was more like $550-600/mo for a shithole studio, in 2016.

But it's nice out here. Quiet. Dark. I don't regret moving here, I just wish the local weed shops were cheaper (easily 2-4x the prices of Pueblo for no good reason besides captive customers).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Everywhere has its sides, but Malta always looked more like a rich man's city-state/playground than most places to me. Even in spite of the language barrier I'd bet on Italy or Spain for life quality before Malta. Then there's the rest of the Med including Greece and Croatia, and Portugal if we're talking about comparable cheapness

Agreed. If I were to recommend a place for an American to move to, it would probably be Valencia or somewhere in Portugal. Both are culturally similar to the US in their approach to life (this poo poo matters long term - my "honeymoon's over" moment was being screamed at by a German for recycling mein Glas am Sonntag), and many Americans already speak some Spanish. Portuguese is kind of like if Spanish were horribly mispronounced, but I think most folks could figure it out.

Spain's got a great healthcare system and the best rail system in Europe (I love pointing this out to my German friends). And of course the food is great.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 29, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oathkeepers trial verdicts are in and should be coming out shortly.

E: Rhodes and Meggs guilty, other three not guilty.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 29, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Denver being expensive is why I went to the Springs. Then the Springs got stupid expensive so now I'm out in the middle of nowhere. Even a shithole studio is $1k/mo in the Springs now. When I moved there it was more like $550-600/mo for a shithole studio, in 2016.

But it's nice out here. Quiet. Dark. I don't regret moving here, I just wish the local weed shops were cheaper (easily 2-4x the prices of Pueblo for no good reason besides captive customers).

Yeah its hard to beat a 3600 sq/ft house with plenty of garage space and room for my cars/lab. But I would move back west in a heartbeat, miss being up near Cheyenne.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/oath-keeper-stewart-rhodes-found-guilty-seditious-conspiracy-1234638450/

Get wreckt, Rhodes.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 29, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah but you can beat the utility bills. Southern 2x4 uninsulated construction is fine about 6 months of the year, but those summer highs and winter lows sting more when the bill comes.

I hated that about Memphis. Cold snap would roll in and my combined utility bill would skyrocket.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Mmmm. No thanks. Y'all can have the city poo poo. A traffic jam out here is two semis going the same direction on US 160 doing 5mph under the limit.

Definitely lots of road shrapnel out here though, I'll be paying for the warranty on my next set of tires. So many loving nails out here in the high desert.

No kidding, I literally got a flat just on the other side of the border in Kansas on 160 when I was driving cross-county earlier this year. Turned out to be part of a loving car key.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Defenestrategy posted:

Alright, I'm gonna run up in here and present a story and a question about this.

I currently live in Atlanta, and I've seen homeless camps and people out panhandling and all that stuff. I had to go to my brothers wedding in po-dunk washington outside of olympia, and the entire time I was there I had to listen to my brothers in-laws and various guests complain about how traffic is just awful and there's homeless everywhere and it's not safe in Seattle or Tacoma. Mind you this was before the pandemic.

My rear end spent about two and half weeks running around Seattle and Tacoma and neither the traffic nor homeless appeared all that much of a big deal to me by comparison. Was everyone just on vacation?

It's actually a whole massive orchestrated propaganda/influence campaign, the primary thrust of which began when Sinclair Broadcast Group bought most Seattle-area TV and radio news operations in 2013-2014 when they started buying up local news operations around the country en masse, seemingly in preparation for the 2015 election cycle:

Wikipedia posted:

A 2019 study in the American Political Science Review found that "stations bought by Sinclair reduce coverage of local politics, increase national coverage and move the ideological tone of coverage in a conservative direction relative to other stations operating in the same market." The company has been criticized by journalists and media analysts for requiring its stations to broadcast packaged video segments and its news anchors to read prepared scripts that contain pro-Trump editorial content, including warnings about purported "fake news" in mainstream media, while Trump has tweeted support for watching Sinclair over CNN and NBC.

In 2019, local television station KOMO produced a documentary entitled “Seattle is Dying,” laying out a narrative arguing that an escalating homeless crisis was responsible for the downfall of the city’s downtown core. The "Seattle Is Dying" catchphrase and narrative was rapidly adopted and recycled throughout conservative media. There is a significant increase in homelessness, but it's mostly the product of the 2008 financial crisis and the massive surge in rent after every tech nerd in America moved here to work. . SPD also deliberately echoes the language from this report in their media statements and is very happy to be quoted in Seattle Is Dying narratives.

However, crime is actually down, by the numbers.

Needless to say, the George Floyd protests in summer 2020 were painted as symbols not of a revitalized civil rights movement pushing back against police abuse of power, but of further indicators that Seattle is an "anarchist jurisdiction" where the rule of law no longer holds sway.

It's really very nice here, but the effects of rampant inequality are only getting worse the higher the cost of living gets, and the Seattle Is Dying narrative is doing a lot of work on behalf of real estate developers and property owners as they fight attempts to house actual homeless people. It's all horribly cynical.

On the upside... you know who the streets aren't safe for? This guy:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/seattle-police-respond-to-viral-video-of-man-wearing-swastika-getting-punched/

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 30, 2022

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1597718768083521536

SUCK MY DICK YOU FUCKMAN

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kesper North posted:

It's really very nice here, but the effects of rampant inequality are only getting worse the higher the cost of living gets, and the Seattle Is Dying narrative is doing a lot of work on behalf of real estate developers and property owners as they fight attempts to house actual homeless people. It's all horribly cynical.

I get what you're saying WRT conservative propaganda, but I don't know how anyone can look at the homelessness issue in Seattle, SF, LA, or DC and come to the conclusion that things are nice. Blaming it on Sinclair seems like an attempt by the wealthy liberals in those cities to dismiss the fact that they contributed to the insane property market that drove these people to homelessness. For as "progressive" as those regions pretend to be, they seem awfully opposed to adopting the kind of "housing first" policies that have worked in SLC and Finland.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I interviewed with Klondike Gold Rush NHP in Seattle earlier this year, and the interviewer actually asked if I'd be comfortable dealing with homeless people (since apparently there's a ton of homeless people that hang out around that area) which was... a thing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

psydude posted:

I get what you're saying WRT conservative propaganda, but I don't know how anyone can look at the homelessness issue in Seattle, SF, LA, or DC and come to the conclusion that things are nice.

"Nice" is relative. "Nice" as compared to another major city such as LA or NYC (where I have also lived).

psydude posted:

Blaming it on Sinclair seems like an attempt by the wealthy liberals in those cities to dismiss the fact that they contributed to the insane property market that drove these people to homelessness. For as "progressive" as those regions pretend to be, they seem awfully opposed to adopting the kind of "housing first" policies that have worked in SLC and Finland.

Er... that's what I said.

my own post posted:

There is a significant increase in homelessness, but it's mostly the product of the 2008 financial crisis and the massive surge in rent after every tech nerd in America moved here to work.
the narrative is doing a lot of work on behalf of real estate developers and property owners as they fight attempts to house actual homeless people

You can I hope appreciate the fact that there's a big feedback cycle between wealthy liberals who have watched KOMO since the 70s and continuing to watch their regular news program because they neither know nor care that it has changed ownership and become a mouthpiece. That does have massive knock-on effects in how they perceive both the problem and any potential solutions. It's not that "liberals are blaming it on Sinclair" - by and large, liberals don't know or care that their favorite news source turned into a propaganda engine for the hard right, but they sure as hell have been influenced by it. It's literally liberal concern-trolling as a strategy, designed to appeal to centrists. They bought it because it was packaged for them very very nicely, and as you say they have no desire to examine these issues more deeply lest they feel the slightest hint of shame.

This is one of the local housing-first organizations this narrative has targeted.
https://crosscut.com/2019/09/after-15-years-seattles-radical-experiment-no-barrier-housing-still-saving-lives

There are a lot of progressives here, but by and large, we are not owners of property. However, it's nice because there are, at least a lot of other progressives to collaborate with in failing to change things!

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 30, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

Agreed. If I were to recommend a place for an American to move to, it would probably be Valencia or somewhere in Portugal. Both are culturally similar to the US in their approach to life (this poo poo matters long term - my "honeymoon's over" moment was being screamed at by a German for recycling mein Glas am Sonntag), and many Americans already speak some Spanish. Portuguese is kind of like if Spanish were horribly mispronounced, but I think most folks could figure it out.

Spain's got a great healthcare system and the best rail system in Europe (I love pointing this out to my German friends). And of course the food is great.

One of the best insights into German culture I've ever read went something like this:

Germans don't judge things in terms of good or bad, the judge them in terms of correct and incorrect.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

What if instead I could offer you an hour on a train in close physical contact with everyone

Put me in a mixed use high density urban whatever over my dead body

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

GET SOME UNCLE BILLY

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Tiny Timbs posted:

What if instead I could offer you an hour on a train in close physical contact with everyone

Put me in a mixed use high density urban whatever over my dead body

The solution here is to run trains often enough that everyone has room to manspread

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Kesper North posted:

The solution here is to run trains often enough that everyone has room to manspread

WMATA voice: "What if, instead, the trains caught on fire constantly"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

psydude posted:

I get what you're saying WRT conservative propaganda, but I don't know how anyone can look at the homelessness issue in Seattle, SF, LA, or DC and come to the conclusion that things are nice. Blaming it on Sinclair seems like an attempt by the wealthy liberals in those cities to dismiss the fact that they contributed to the insane property market that drove these people to homelessness. For as "progressive" as those regions pretend to be, they seem awfully opposed to adopting the kind of "housing first" policies that have worked in SLC and Finland.

SLC? I only know of one SLC off the top of my head and I couldn't imagine them having such a policy but I've been surprised before

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Kesper North posted:

There are a lot of progressives here, but by and large, we are not owners of property. However, it's nice because there are, at least a lot of other progressives to collaborate with in failing to change things!

It's definitely nice, or there wouldn't be so many people moving here. It's also not perfect, but there is no place on Earth that is.

The people are one of the reasons I enjoy living here. I can talk about progressive issues here and they aren't considered controversial opinions to have.

We absolutely don't have a solution for every problem we're facing but by and large WA is at least trying, which is more than most places in America can say. Coming from the South it almost seems like a different country out here.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

psydude posted:

The food is great if you can deal with eating dinner from 10 PM until the wee hours.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mustang posted:

It's definitely nice, or there wouldn't be so many people moving here. It's also not perfect, but there is no place on Earth that is.

The people are one of the reasons I enjoy living here. I can talk about progressive issues here and they aren't considered controversial opinions to have.

We absolutely don't have a solution for every problem we're facing but by and large WA is at least trying, which is more than most places in America can say. Coming from the South it almost seems like a different country out here.

Yeah, nailed it. This.

Milo and POTUS posted:

SLC? I only know of one SLC off the top of my head and I couldn't imagine them having such a policy but I've been surprised before

I was shocked too, but it's real:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2021/11/16/utahs-housing-first-model/

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 30, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
shameful dp

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

no such thing

:wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

A.o.D. posted:

One of the best insights into German culture I've ever read went something like this:

Germans don't judge things in terms of good or bad, the judge them in terms of correct and incorrect.

Alles muss in ordnung zu sein. The exclamation point is silent