Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

I just rewatched Knives Out (my sister hadn't seen it and wanted to) and it still blows my mind that Chris Evans was in that movie, I was 100% certain it was Channing Tatum

No idea how you confused the two, Channing is like two steps uglier than Evans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

McCloud posted:

No idea how you confused the two, Channing is like two steps uglier than Evans

and also more talented

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

also ER was an ensemble drama whereas sopranos, BB, and mad men are all centered around a single protagonist (in way ER really isn't..... from what i remember)

also there are plenty of other counter examples from the 90s ——  michael richards/jason alexander, the male leads (at least) of the friends cast, ray romano, calista flockhart, etc etc

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 02:41 on Nov 30, 2022

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
tatum worked pretty well acting opposite to Jamie Foxx in White House Down

now that could have become a franchise dunno who the gently caress wanted more of gerard butler looking gruff faced into the camera for Olympus Has Fallen

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

A real life Red Forman would probably end up calling that Asian kid a chink.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Antonymous posted:

hasn't aged more than 10 years since '87

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31rrZeTH9HI

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Channing Tatum is good at one thing while Chris Evans is pretty decent at several things. I'd take Evans plus he's hotter

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Eric Cantonese posted:

A real life Red Forman would probably end up calling that Asian kid a chink.

username/avatar/post combo

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

peter falk is always going to be columbo, george wendt is always going to be norm, carroll o'connor is always going to be archie bunker
At the height of Cheers' fame, I was a kid watching a movie in a theater, and when George Wendt appeared on screen something like half the audience yelled "Norm".

loquacius posted:

Did she lie about her age to get on the show or am I remembering wrong

Even though she was the youngest one, she was SO MUCH better than the rest of the kids on that show that wife & I thought she was older and a 'ringer'.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

indigi posted:

Channing Tatum is good at one thing while Chris Evans is pretty decent at several things. I'd take Evans plus he's hotter

Comrade Detective is better than anything Chris Evans has ever done

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

watching hail caesar and am appreciating how this movie finally achieves the long awaited dream of having newman from seinfeld and the doctor from star trek voyager in the same movie

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

indigi posted:

his fight in Haywire was one of the best I've seen in a spy film. just complete understanding of his opponents ability and knowing his only chance was to drop her immediately. shame Carano ended up being a chud but thats MMA for ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Qsl_6muRY

also funny that her opponents got scrawnier as the film went on leaving us with McGregor desperately running for his life

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Durf posted:

his fight in Haywire was one of the best I've seen in a spy film. just complete understanding of his opponents ability and knowing his only chance was to drop her immediately. shame Carano ended up being a chud but thats MMA for ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Qsl_6muRY

also funny that her opponents got scrawnier as the film went on leaving us with McGregor desperately running for his life

the Michael Fassbender fight was suitably brutal as well

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Filthy Hans posted:

the Michael Fassbender fight was suitably brutal as well

ya she told him not to hold back and he threw her through a tv lol

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PQBHAZ3Rg

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64fmV0Xoy_A

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Adidas released more info about the Pigeon Lady show

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
This has got to be the worst Simpsons season ever. Every episode is worst than the previous.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Femur posted:

This has got to be the worst Simpsons season ever. Every episode is worst than the previous.

and whose fault is that you absolute rube

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

i say swears online posted:

Homer Simpson

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Femur posted:

people still watch Simpsons????????? wtf

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I never learned youtube ok!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Watching modern Simpsons is like voting democrat, especially if you complain while doing it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

sonatinas posted:

what are you talking about?

theres a scene in the recently released recently discussed in thread film tar where the title character a top tier egot winning conductor is teaching a music class and her student says he cant identify with bachs music because he had a lot of kids which makes bach patriarchal and bad

i gotta be honest so much of that movie seemed to be super nerdy music theory and orchestral management stuff it kind of threw me for a loop when the climax ended up being that apparently tar was a sex pest the entire time

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Filthy Hans posted:

Comrade Detective is better than anything Chris Evans has ever done

no

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i say swears online posted:

Segue
May 23, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

theres a scene in the recently released recently discussed in thread film tar where the title character a top tier egot winning conductor is teaching a music class and her student says he cant identify with bachs music because he had a lot of kids which makes bach patriarchal and bad

i gotta be honest so much of that movie seemed to be super nerdy music theory and orchestral management stuff it kind of threw me for a loop when the climax ended up being that apparently tar was a sex pest the entire time

That bothered me so much I revived an old blog I forgot about to rant about it. You have this incredibly shot, acted, scored movie and its plot hinges on a self-declared pangender kid mumbling woke buzzwords as Tár bullies him and an edited video of it goes viral.

Then for some reason in the incredibly "woke" classical music world, this immediately results in pickets outside her book launch and people discover that she groomed proteges and she gets cancelled and her career implodes.

The movie even name checks a conductor who was legitimately accused of multiple assaults as being cancelled and he still guest conducts major orchestras! Just a complete waste of great filmmaking on a plot that treats cancel culture (especially in classical music!) as a real actual factual thing and the main plot of your Important Classically Tragic movie. For once I slightly agreed with Richard Brody which terrifies me.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Dr. Killjoy posted:

tatum worked pretty well acting opposite to Jamie Foxx in White House Down

now that could have become a franchise dunno who the gently caress wanted more of gerard butler looking gruff faced into the camera for Olympus Has Fallen

Roland Emmerich never adapted to the new dominance of franchises. Independence Day 2 broke him.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I forgot how dumb the storyline for Nadine in season 2 of twin peaks is. it’s great.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Segue posted:

That bothered me so much I revived an old blog I forgot about to rant about it. You have this incredibly shot, acted, scored movie and its plot hinges on a self-declared pangender kid mumbling woke buzzwords as Tár bullies him and an edited video of it goes viral.

Then for some reason in the incredibly "woke" classical music world, this immediately results in pickets outside her book launch and people discover that she groomed proteges and she gets cancelled and her career implodes.

The movie even name checks a conductor who was legitimately accused of multiple assaults as being cancelled and he still guest conducts major orchestras! Just a complete waste of great filmmaking on a plot that treats cancel culture (especially in classical music!) as a real actual factual thing and the main plot of your Important Classically Tragic movie. For once I slightly agreed with Richard Brody which terrifies me.

the picketing was more over tar grooming a student whose career she then sabotaged and because of this personal and professional rejections ends up killing herself. the video adds fuel to that fire, which was already burning. there also appears to be a pattern of her abusing her power as conductor in hopes of currying sexual favors from musicians and aspiring conductors (her assistant). i don’t think the film asks you to sympathize with her or feel bad for her. it hints (hints because it is so exclusively from her perspective) at many many transgressions for which she ends up being humbled. i thought brody was way off base in his interpretation

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I really wanted to play Monster Hunter after seeing Tar

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I tried to finish watching "All My Friends Hate Me" for the third time. I have like 15 minutes left. It's a movie that makes me too uncomfortable for the characters to continue after like 25 minutes and then I pause it and save it for a different day.

I think that's what it is going for, so I guess it's good?

Segue
May 23, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the picketing was more over tar grooming a student whose career she then sabotaged and because of this personal and professional rejections ends up killing herself. the video adds fuel to that fire, which was already burning. there also appears to be a pattern of her abusing her power as conductor in hopes of currying sexual favors from musicians and aspiring conductors (her assistant). i don’t think the film asks you to sympathize with her or feel bad for her. it hints (hints because it is so exclusively from her perspective) at many many transgressions for which she ends up being humbled. i thought brody was way off base in his interpretation

I don't agree with all of Brody's arguments but there's a regressive edge to Tár I think that goes beyond the film following her perspective. It presents a lot of conflicts in the plot as the chaotic world intruding on her controlled life. It relies on omission to show her as an unreliable narrator, but it still presents an actual outside world that is in conflict with her and not just from her point of view.

The conversation with woke the student caricature, the protests and pickets and her losing her job from a very conservative art form that has forgiven others who have done similar, the end in a South-East Asian country presented as her fall to the very depths. These are all parts of the narrative arc of the movie that rely on a conservative understanding of cancel culture and art, not just from her perspective.

The movie isn't sympathizing with her as a person but it does try to play with ambiguity and cancel culture going too far and shows her as a valuable artist. I think saying it's all from her perspective forgives too much of the plot which takes place outside of her control. To me, using a Me Too moment and cancel culture as the narrative arc, combined with the mocking of campus culture, felt too fragile a framework to hang the very interesting character work and arc, and betrays a misunderstanding of how power is still wielded in our society.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

conducting isn't an art lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

I have just thought the same thing. I didn’t post it because I’ve only seen one thing with Radcliffe (The Lost City) and assumed I’d get piled on by people who saw his good roles in other stuff. as someone who’s never seen Harry Potter, he’s the Harry Potter guy though, like hammil is luke

daniel radcliffe is so thoroughly harry potter he doesnt even care if the other stuff he does is award bait because even if he did get one it would just be a wink wink nudge nudge thanks for being harry potter

the dude selects his projects like nicholas cage would if he were a serious stage actor and you know what good for him the film industry would be in an objectively better place if more actors with his name recognition and wealth approached their work like radcliffe does

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

He's quite funny on Miracle Workers!

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I also like Radcliff

and Paterson as well

they use their star power to help people get stuff made as well which is good

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Will Smith revisited his infamous Oscar night for the first time in his first major TV interview since slapping Chris Rock onstage last March.

Speaking to Trevor Noah on the Daily Show on Monday night, Smith described how he "just lost it" over Rock's joke about Smith's wife's hair.

"That was a rage that had been bottled for a really long time," he said, prefacing his comments by saying his emotions didn't justify his behavior.

"I guess what I would say is you just never know what someone is going through. I was going through something that night. ... It's like when they say 'Hurt people hurt people,' you know?"

Smith said his biggest challenge over the past eight months has been learning to forgive himself "for being human."

"I had to humble down and realize that I'm a flawed human and I still have an opportunity to go out in the world and contribute in a way that fills my heart and hopefully helps other people," he said.

Throughout the 20-minute interview, Noah spoke nearly as much as Smith, offering absolution and affection as a teary-eyed Smith nodded along.

"You are one of those rare breeds of people who've spent more time in the spotlight than out of it," Noah said.

"I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that I don't want that to define you. I don't think it should define you. I don't think that any one of us in life deserves to be defined by our one f**k-up."

Smith was on the show to promote the new film Emancipation, a dark historical drama in which Smith stars as a runaway slave.

The film's director Antoine Fuqua has repeatedly defended Apple's decision to release Emancipation this December, even as the Smith slap still dominates the Hollywood discourse.

Speaking on a morning talk show earlier this week, Smith said he'd understand if audiences choose to skip seeing the film to boycott his behavior.

"I would absolutely respect that and allow them their space to not be ready," Smith told journalist Kevin McCarthy on Good Day DC.

"My deepest concern is my team. ... The people on this team have done some of the best work of their entire careers, and my deepest hope is that my actions don't penalize my team. At this point, that's what I'm working for."

"I completely understand that if...someone is not ready, I would absolutely respect that and allow them their space to not be ready...My deepest hope is that my actions don't penalize my team."

Expanding on how he disappointed those around him, Smith shared a story about how his 9-year-old nephew reacted to seeing the slap on TV.

"He had stayed up late to see his Uncle Will. We're sitting in my kitchen, and he's on my lap and he's holding the Oscar. And he's just like, 'Why'd you hit that man Uncle Will?' " Smith said, pausing to wipe away tears.

"Why are you trying to Oprah me?" he joked to Noah. "Look, it was a mess. I don't want to go too far into it to give people more to misunderstand."

Smith's popularity with fans was built in part on his cheerful demeanor. He told NPR's Fresh Air last year that he crafted that image to cover up childhood trauma, including watching his father beat his mother when he was 9 years old.

Noah characterized that night as one of the best and worst nights of Smith's life, let alone his career.

The actor won his first Academy Award for best actor for his performance in King Richard, but the famed smack and its aftermath overshadowed his success.

Smith later resigned from the Academy, which also banned him from all its events for the next 10 years.

Smith eventually did apologize to Rock, in a video posted to social media this July, but Rock said at the time he wasn't ready to discuss the incident.

He's since reportedly joked about the incident at various stand-up performances.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

indigi posted:

conducting isn't an art lol

tell that to von Karajan, a guy who was so good at composing people forgot that was a Nazi

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

composing or conducting

writing music or twirling a stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

the only thing in Tar that struck me as too exaggerated was the picket, because its hard to imagine rousing that much popular opposition to a conductor however famous/pop culture they are. Did anyone picket Zimmer when when all that stuff came out about him being a dickhead?

the woke student stuff is treading a very fine line, especially as it comes right towards the start of the film, but it ends up being a bit of a bait and switch - she's a huge rear end in a top hat to the kid regardless of how articulate he's being, so it hard to feel sorry for her even if the video clip later has been edited. sleeping with an abusing the students at her charitable scholarship institute is what actually does for her.

and the scene is important otherwise because it sets up tar's fatal flaw: her whole thing is connecting to these ancient composers through understanding their lives and experiences and trying to relate to that, but she violently rejects any attempt to do that to her. she doesn't want to be "the woman composer" or "the lesbian composer" but ultimately yeah, her fall from grace is likely worse than the male musicians she mentions because of those factors.

even then though, in true rich people style she's down but not out. she can hire a PR film and hide out doing monster hunter for a few years and come right back.