Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Mameluke posted:

Chungking Express is naked copaganda soz

Faye Wong doesn't know what cops do to their partners

and so is hard boiled. they both rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

Disney was ready to just recast actors but then Solo failed to live up to expectations. Any decision made during the production of Solo was therefore reversed. Recasting was over and digital de-aging was the new way forward.

Alden Ehrenreich still hasn't had a film role since Solo and his next movie is apparently Cocaine Bear.

They have no idea what makes a movie good or bad, Donald Glover was p much the only good thing about that movie

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I personally came out of Solo like "that movie could have been good if only they'd brought in an 80-year-old Harrison Ford and used CGI to torture his likeness like he's in Cloud City until he looks like the world's smoothest 80-year-old"

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

They have no idea what makes a movie good or bad, Donald Glover was p much the only good thing about that movie

Glover slept through that movie and only gets credit for being a potent fancast that Disney took the public up on

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It sucks that Disney's CGI ghosts are clearly a deliberate strategy to gently caress over actors and Ehrenreich ended up the scapegoat in all of this. Like I get that Star Wars fans are babies but I would think they can understand the concept of replacing dead/geriatric actors for the same role.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

YaketySass posted:

It sucks that Disney's CGI ghosts are clearly a deliberate strategy to gently caress over actors and Ehrenreich ended up the scapegoat in all of this. Like I get that Star Wars fans are babies but I would think they can understand the concept of replacing dead/geriatric actors for the same role.

imagining Andor with Genevive O'Reilly face replace with whoever played Mon Mothma for 30 seconds in ep6

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

solo has some of the worst cinematography I've ever seen it's amazing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bro Dad posted:

solo has some of the worst cinematography I've ever seen it's amazing

especially for a movie that was filmed 2 times

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

pretty incredible kanye has gone from the biggest music artist in the world to……………. this

https://twitter.com/borgposting/status/1597361663636045830

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Next Saturday Adidas is releasing a special pair of sneakers in tribute to one of the most iconic Christmas movie characters ever to grace the silver screen... that's right, the pigeon lady from Home Alone 2!

https://www.adidas.com/us/forum-84-home-alone-2/ID4328.html

They're gray, like pigeons

twin movies SHOES

https://twitter.com/bernstein/status/1597598830438289408

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Some Guy TT posted:

so are people actually trying to cancel bach for having too many kids or did tar use this as a plot point because of how absurd it sounds

what are you talking about?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
halfway through 1899 pretty good but I did enjoy Dark immensely

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The end goal of Disneys cgi zombies is to eventually replace actors all together. And they WILL keep trying till it sticks. People joke about Disney child stars being created in a lab but that is the actual goal. Getting people to accept a wholly original cgi “actor” not based on any actual human. No more actors likeness lawsuits, no more younger actors getting too old, no more worry that they’ll get canceled because they tweeted something about Jewish people. And most importantly no more actors who are popular enough to demand payment commiserate with their worth. “Celebrities” will be designed from the ground up by the algorithm to maximize their profit making potential.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

galagazombie posted:

The end goal of Disneys cgi zombies is to eventually replace actors all together. And they WILL keep trying till it sticks. People joke about Disney child stars being created in a lab but that is the actual goal. Getting people to accept a wholly original cgi “actor” not based on any actual human. No more actors likeness lawsuits, no more younger actors getting too old, no more worry that they’ll get canceled because they tweeted something about Jewish people. And most importantly no more actors who are popular enough to demand payment commiserate with their worth. “Celebrities” will be designed from the ground up by the algorithm to maximize their profit making potential.

Mickey was merely a sketch of what’s next for “human” kind

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Serf posted:

it turns out not just anyone can replace one of the most charismatic actors ever

Not that hard. Harrison Ford replaced him years ago

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

galagazombie posted:

like with all trends in pop culture that's targeted at anyone under 55, Japan is already decades ahead of the west with this one.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mameluke posted:

Chungking Express is naked copaganda soz

Faye Wong doesn't know what cops do to their partners

oscarthewilde posted:

and so is hard boiled. they both rule

they're chinese cops, it's okay to like them

e: which reminds me, I'm going to put together part 2 of my kung fu film list

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Idk why but I think Harrison Ford is gonna be the first purely digitized actor. He's gonna sell his likeness to Disney for a billion dollars when he officially retires and become the first actor Officially Owned by Disney.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Idk why but I think Harrison Ford is gonna be the first purely digitized actor. He's gonna sell his likeness to Disney for a billion dollars when he officially retires and become the first actor Officially Owned by Disney.

it won't be as effective as someone young who's been 360'd by digital cameras their entire career. it may happen but it'll be much more effective when they have some hemsworth's entire lifelong likeness

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i say swears online posted:

it won't be as effective as someone young who's been 360'd by digital cameras their entire career. it may happen but it'll be much more effective when they have some hemsworth's entire lifelong likeness

Oh absolutely, it'll be the equivalent of like the special effects in Clash of the Titans

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

we are in an era where the character is the celebrity, and the actor's face is the character's face. if that makes sense.

they can't reboot iron man with a new actor, at least not yet. And Tom Holland will not easily bring a huge following from spiderman to whatever he does next. People are fans of him as spiderman, not him alone.

Not that clooney was famous because he did batman, I don't think. idk

we've had a bunch of batmans and jokers but bale/ledger are sorta elevated as 'the real one' in my mind and the newer ones are kinda like, grotesque in some way. most reboots are

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

For some reason the Marvel Star Wars comic authors decided that Emilia Clarke's character from Solo is the coolest person in the galaxy. There's been like three miniseries about how that character is the one person who scares the Emperor. She can beat Darth Vader in a sword fight, is immune to mind reading, and has a whole fleet of warships. This isn't a Solo tie-in either, this is the storyline happening right now.

Was there a segment of Star Wars fans demanding more Qi'ra?

sounds like Mara Jade with the serial numbers filed off

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Antonymous posted:

we are in an era where the character is the celebrity, and the actor's face is the character's face. if that makes sense.

they can't reboot iron man with a new actor, at least not yet. And Tom Holland will not easily bring a huge following from spiderman to whatever he does next. People are fans of him as spiderman, not him alone.

we've had a bunch of batmans and jokers but bale/ledger are sorta elevated as 'the real one' in my mind and the newer ones are kinda like, grotesque in some way. most reboots are

i think that's just cape poo poo and those movies not allowing actors to act. people like adam driver but not because he's kylo ren

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Antonymous posted:

No he was famous prior to that. I get what you're saying tho. Batman & Robin through (but not including) Iron Man was the last generation of Superhero movies where an actor playing the superhero did not sign an exclusivity deal to synergize their personal brand with that of the role they are playing.

Ed Norton Hulk was like the last straggler from that era.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

well anyway I'm thinking that's why they need to acquire the rights to an actor's likeness "from the beginning of time in perpetuity throughout the universe, by way of any technology here and now known or yet to be developed, in any and all media now known or hereinafter devised"

(a real thing I have to sign in my contracts)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Antonymous posted:

well anyway I'm thinking that's why they need to acquire the rights to an actor's likeness "from the beginning of time in perpetuity throughout the universe, by way of any technology here and now known or yet to be developed, in any and all media now known or hereinafter devised"

wow Scientology has truly won

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Antonymous posted:

congrats on your seven years of prosperity Farmer Stone

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

mastershakeman posted:

theres probably more good movies on criterion than you can watch in a lifetime, why not just start with famous directors, watch their greatest hits, then drill down on the guys you like ?

hell, use this site
https://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000.htm

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. Somehow I had never seen this site / list, and had only seen like the AFI and BFI "best movie" lists, so there is a ton of non-english stuff in the top couple hundred here that is new to me. My normal foreign film intake is largely limited to anime and kung-fu movies.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Sight and Sound is a good list too, new one (they poll critics and directors every 10 years) drops december 1

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

they should've used Dedra's assistant in Andor to play Rogue One's Moff Tarkin instead of that CGI monster

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
it is kind of interesting that the rise of prestige tv starting with the sopranos, also coincided with the inability of the given lead actor to be separated from their character, and then "cinematic universes" amped that up even further.

clooney got famous with ER but when he made the big time jump to leading movies no one really still thought of him as dr ross anymore. conversely, gandolfini (rip) will always be tony soprano, bryan cranston is always going to be walter white (this is hal erasure), jon hamm is always going to be don draper, chris evans is always going to be steve rogers, etc.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Laterite posted:

bryan cranston is always going to be walter white (this is hal erasure)

i still see hal when he's clean-shaven

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

peter falk is always going to be columbo, george wendt is always going to be norm, carroll o'connor is always going to be archie bunker

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

peter falk is always going to be columbo, george wendt is always going to be norm, carroll o'connor is always going to be archie bunker

speaking of typecasts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOpoPPIRtdQ

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

the chapo vision of minigunning swarms of John Candies in the metaverse must be realized

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

wilmer valderrama will always be fez

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Laterite posted:

it is kind of interesting that the rise of prestige tv starting with the sopranos, also coincided with the inability of the given lead actor to be separated from their character, and then "cinematic universes" amped that up even further.

clooney got famous with ER but when he made the big time jump to leading movies no one really still thought of him as dr ross anymore. conversely, gandolfini (rip) will always be tony soprano, bryan cranston is always going to be walter white (this is hal erasure), jon hamm is always going to be don draper, chris evans is always going to be steve rogers, etc.

Daniel Radcliffe will always be Harry Potter, etc.

And since this was really just a way to get a post containing Daniel Radcliffe and Jon Hamm -- You should really check out A Young Doctor's Notebook if you haven't because they're both in it and it's great.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

christmas boots posted:

Daniel Radcliffe will always be Harry Potter, etc.

And since this was really just a way to get a post containing Daniel Radcliffe and Jon Hamm -- You should really check out A Young Doctor's Notebook if you haven't because they're both in it and it's great.

I have just thought the same thing. I didn’t post it because I’ve only seen one thing with Radcliffe (The Lost City) and assumed I’d get piled on by people who saw his good roles in other stuff. as someone who’s never seen Harry Potter, he’s the Harry Potter guy though, like hammil is luke

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

all the kids from That 70s show were thrown into The Phantom Zone for being sex pests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Durf posted:

all the kids from That 70s show were thrown into The Phantom Zone for being sex pests

even the redhead? :ohdear: