Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Having played 6 co-op (pretty much the only way to enjoy playing it tbh), I'll admit to liking the combat, but the inventory and healing system was just kind of baffling. That, the levels not really feeling like they had much continuity and the plot all just kinda make you lean back a bit and grimace.

Also I'm glad Piers is loving dead and deeply wish they never, ever bring him back. Jake's cool though, and I do kinda wish he gets another shot as a character in a better put together game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

5 is better than 6 just due to Wesker.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

5 at least brought us the boulder punch meme, while 6's sole claim to fame is that it's the mainline title so aggressively bad that no one wants to talk about it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm "that guy" for 6. 5 was far more memorable but I like it less, I think because it feels very close to 4 but worse in every way except for some incremental control mechanics upgrades. 6 is just a unfocused mess, but it feels like a jump forward control-wise and I find enough stupid fun mixed in throughout its 25 hours (or whatever) to say I had more fun with it overall. It would be infinitely better at half the length, and my enjoyment only means it beats out 5 for second-worst game I've played in the series, so don't read this as giving it too enthusiastic of praise.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Vermain posted:

5 at least brought us the boulder punch meme, while 6's sole claim to fame is that it's the mainline title so aggressively bad that no one wants to talk about it

6 had a giraffe man getting sucked off as its logo which no other mainline RE game can claim. Hell, no other commercially released media product full stop

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

6 had a boss that was some weird hosed up trex

I only played through 6 once and enjoyed it. But I also only played it once while I've played 4 and 5 multiple times.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

6 has some extremely fun and good segments but it has by far the largest amount of timewaster minigames in the entire franchise which make it hard to replay for fun.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Less than a week til the game that was only briefly set in the PUBG universe

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Going to get a victory royale on the deadmorphs

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think callisto protocol looks really loving good, especially the combat, but it's never not gonna be funny to me how so much of the monster designs and gameplay flourishes are just dead space with the serial numbers filed down

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Secretly I want to believe PUBG switched to existing in the Dead Space universe when it got kicked out of Callisto Protocol, I'd still be bummed at humanity inevitably being wiped from existence by the space zombie plague but I'd feel a little less bad if I knew PUBG went out along with it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The non-union Mexican equivalent of "blank" is my favorite thing about video games. Got this shiny new Nvidia card so I think I'm going to drop $60 day one.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Vermain posted:

i think callisto protocol looks really loving good, especially the combat, but it's never not gonna be funny to me how so much of the monster designs and gameplay flourishes are just dead space with the serial numbers filed down

Just what I wanted tbqh.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

When EA dismantles your studio and takes your baby, make another and raise it the same way, right?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
RE5 made one of the best pieces of gaming music I've ever heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OLax-NenP8

Wesker was a treasure.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

Less than a week til the game that was only briefly set in the PUBG universe

Silent Hill, but it exists in the Fortnite universe

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
RE5 has four problems that put me off it

1. I think it's a butt-ugly rear end game.
2. Sheva is not a real character. She might be the most nothing character in the franchise.
3. None of the villains other than Wesker are memorable or interesting in any way
4. The racism

I tried the Leon campaign of RE6 since I have friends that really like it but the infinitely respawning zombies, dumbass puzzles, boring areas, and constant corridor-to-setpiece-to-corridor-to-setpiece level design killed my interest pretty fast.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Will always crack up at the medieval knight zombies and like ancient ruins underneath some church in north america for some reason in Leon's campaign.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Evil Kit posted:

Also I'm glad Piers is loving dead and deeply wish they never, ever bring him back. Jake's cool though, and I do kinda wish he gets another shot as a character in a better put together game.

I want a team based game with Jake, Sherry, and Rose, all of them using their viral superpowers as an fantasy RPG team.

Jake's the DPS, Sherry's the tank, and Rose is the mage.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The racism in 5 has some loving levels to it. Like from "Pure white woman corrupted by the black evil", all the way to "Yeah we tried to write a bit about why the virus made the black people put on masks and wave spears at people, but couldn't think of a reason to make it work. Oh well, mow down several hundred more of them and steal their cultural artifacts Chris!". gently caress's sake.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Blockhouse posted:

RE5 has four problems that put me off it

1. I think it's a butt-ugly rear end game.
2. Sheva is not a real character. She might be the most nothing character in the franchise.
3. None of the villains other than Wesker are memorable or interesting in any way
4. The racism

I tried the Leon campaign of RE6 since I have friends that really like it but the infinitely respawning zombies, dumbass puzzles, boring areas, and constant corridor-to-setpiece-to-corridor-to-setpiece level design killed my interest pretty fast.

Yeah, Leon's campaign is the worst one, especially the start where it tries to fool you into thinking that it's a survival horror game, rather than an action game with a body horror theme. If you ever go back try any the other ones instead.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mulva posted:

The racism in 5 has some loving levels to it. Like from "Pure white woman corrupted by the black evil", all the way to "Yeah we tried to write a bit about why the virus made the black people put on masks and wave spears at people, but couldn't think of a reason to make it work. Oh well, mow down several hundred more of them and steal their cultural artifacts Chris!". gently caress's sake.

You couldn't really remake RE5 now without changing a lot of stuff and since it's one of the weaker games in the series it doesn't even seem remotely worth reimagining. Also to top it off it still feels and looks pretty modern even compared to RE4. There's no reason to ever remake it.

Really the only thing I think will probably eventually happen is a remake of the original RE1 remake and they will have to move on from the remake thing, because every other game has no reason to be remade, either because it's relatively modern, or is some lesser known title. I guess Code Veronica isn't impossible but I think they will do RE4 and eventually be unable to resist cashing in on RE1 one last time and just start doing new entries.

Edit: I'm just kind of rambling here lol I know your post wasn't really about remakes.

Vermain posted:

It's funny, but I also think you get a free artistic pass to do that if it's the people that made Dead Space and would just be making a new dead space if EA hadn't dissolved their company. It feels more like a middle finger than artistic bankruptcy.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
It's kinda funny how EA is releasing the dead space remake so close to Callisto Protocol.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought it was closer for a while instead of DS remake being Jan lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's just speculation on my part, but it kind of feels like Callisto was intentionally gunning to beat DS remake to market.

As much as I wanna be cynical about the Dead Space remake because gently caress EA, I've been pretty impressed by everything the developers have shown and I really hope it's good. It looks like they are doing a drat good job with it, so fingers crossed. I am looking forward to both games.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
The DS remake looks good and I want to play it one day, it just feels kind of unnecessary because the original holds up so well. I would have preferred another game set in the same universe or something.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Meatwolfe posted:

The DS remake looks good and I want to play it one day, it just feels kind of unnecessary because the original holds up so well. I would have preferred another game set in the same universe or something.

A part of me thinks they're going for the full remake so they can start up an entirely new DS canon, considering any game set in the 'current' DS universe would have an implied end state of 'and then the Brethren Moons showed up and devoured mankind, The End.'

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

BisbyWorl posted:

A part of me thinks they're going for the full remake so they can start up an entirely new DS canon, considering any game set in the 'current' DS universe would have an implied end state of 'and then the Brethren Moons showed up and devoured mankind, The End.'

Well, the plan was to have a game where you go from place to place, collecting the remnants of society.

That would have been really cool if they were allowed to do it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I have a feeling the DS remake will change quite a bit of things regarding the story, if not the gameplay. For one they're making Isaac talk and I wouldn't be surprised if they did something entirely different from the tired rear end dead wife thing at the end of the game. We'll see! Dead Space was always good, but the actual story part of those games definitely needs a full loving do-over.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I dunno just replaying the first one recently I feel like it's a little bit bland. The stuff they are adding, like making the ishimura one persistent location and AI director stuff sounds like an upgrade.

Dead Space 2 holds up much better than the first one imo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Hel posted:

Yeah, Leon's campaign is the worst one, especially the start where it tries to fool you into thinking that it's a survival horror game, rather than an action game with a body horror theme. If you ever go back try any the other ones instead.

I found Chris' campaign to be the worst one because it really just felt like a shooter with spongy enemies. Leon's at least had the comedy value of literally everyone he tries to help getting horribly killed, mostly through vehicular accidents or through him solving a puzzle that causes them to die.

Jake and Sherry was the one that I got the most fun out of.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Hakkesshu posted:

I have a feeling the DS remake will change quite a bit of things regarding the story, if not the gameplay. For one they're making Isaac talk and I wouldn't be surprised if they did something entirely different from the tired rear end dead wife thing at the end of the game. We'll see! Dead Space was always good, but the actual story part of those games definitely needs a full loving do-over.

nah there's zero chance they change major plot points. and anyway, the evil lawn ornament impersonating your dead girlfriend stuff is good actually. leads to several fun scenes in 2

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Huh, I thought the Dead Space remake was pretty much just going to be a graphical upgrade with a few other changes like Isaac talking. Didn't realise they were making such extensive gameplay/exploration changes. I'd been avoiding reading much about it cause it sounded like such a known quantity but reading some stuff now, it sounds the ship is just fully explorable and there's no trams demarking the levels? I assume there'll still be bits where you are locked in for a scripted sequence or an objective or whatever, still seems like a more drastic change than I was expecting.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Facing a bit of a dilemma with Dead Space and The Callisto Protocol.

Probably can't justify or even want to play both that close to each other. I've played some of Dead Space before but didn't finish it, so it's effectively going to be a new experience for me anyway. I'm Steam Deck exclusive at this point, so I suspect it might come down to which of the two is Verified (or at least runs well) on Deck.

Callisto obviously has the first shot at getting that right. I'll give it a couple of days and if Callisto reviews well AND launches Verified/playable to a good standard, then I'll jump in with that. Dead Space might be relegated to a future sale price.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dead Space is relegated to sale price for me because EA is trying it on with £70 for new games :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RE5 is the big finale to The Wesker saga but the remakes feel like they downplay Wesker’s influence so who knows. Capcom is very shy about acknowledging Code Veronica.

Hoping the Dead Space remake is part of EA’s subscription service which means it’ll show up as a game pass game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm excited for all the big budget horror games lately. I'm gonna play Callisto Protocol, Dead Space remake and Resident Evil 4 remake.

Also Alone in the Dark and Silent Hill 2 remake.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

veni veni veni posted:

I dunno just replaying the first one recently I feel like it's a little bit bland. The stuff they are adding, like making the ishimura one persistent location and AI director stuff sounds like an upgrade.

Dead Space 2 holds up much better than the first one imo.

...there's an AI director?

I hope that doesn't mean indefinite spawns, that's not something I want to deal with in a survival horror.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

al-azad posted:

RE5 is the big finale to The Wesker saga but the remakes feel like they downplay Wesker’s influence so who knows. Capcom is very shy about acknowledging Code Veronica.

Hoping the Dead Space remake is part of EA’s subscription service which means it’ll show up as a game pass game.

2 and 3 were the ones that had the least Wesker though so it's not surprising he's not been in it much. As you say it was Code Veronica and Zero coming out which really shot him up in terms of prominence cause they were sorta adding him back into the storyline in the present and also going back and beefing up his backstory.

I suspect they leave the relatively small references to him in RE4 Remake since there's not much reason to change them really but I doubt they ever remake the ones that had him really prominent like Zero, Code Veronica or RE5.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Pyrolocutus posted:

...there's an AI director?

I hope that doesn't mean indefinite spawns, that's not something I want to deal with in a survival horror.

If it's open world, that's probably what it means.

On the other hand, if not it just means they've updated how the room spawns worked, because the first game had a basically random way of spawning enemies at windows.