Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tiny Timbs posted:

i have now discovered the satisfaction of building tiling black box blueprints

my ratios may be bad but w/e still happy

i have no idea what tiling black box blueprints are but ratios can gently caress off

when i run out of something i build more factories for it. if my belt/sorter isn't moving poo poo fast enough i upgrade it. this strat has worked well enough for two dyson spheres so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m guessing tiling means repeatable and black box means raw resources in, finished product out (no in/out of intermediate products).

The oil reforming recipe makes a good example of this. You can pretty easily set up a self-contained block that has crude oil and coal in and nothing but plastic out.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Its weird / interesting that lategame oil and its processing chain is completely worthless because you can easily get its products from other rare resources

Although oil in itself is a rare resource that only spawns on appropriate planets outside your starting one (I.E. ones that had a bunch of life that got compressed down into it over the years)

E: Looking through you do need plastic for one lategame recipe that feeds into the rockets but you don't need it in large quantities. Organic crystals can spawn fairly regularly outside the starting system, sulfuric acid can generate and be pumped out indefinitely on lava planets and you can get hydrogen from a bunch of other sources lategame

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 25, 2022

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I really hope that the military stuff balances out some of that. Plastics need more uses as they exist for organic crystals, fiber optics and nothing else. Meanwhile copper/titanium also really aren't used that much compared to how much of them spawn, especially not compared to iron.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea copper goes into like 3 or 4 things directly, I think? Electromagnets, circuit boards, microcrystals, and particle traps (maybe?). But there’s an iron in almost everything, and iron and copper seem to spawn at roughly equivalent rates.

Way out of proportion on the amount spawned/amount needed, either way.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yup. T1 chips use copper, the transistors for T2 chips use copper (which also use T1 chips) and then...T3 use the plane filters which are titanium, glass (stone), a fuckton of hydrogen and either carbon (organic crystals) or optical crystals.

As compared to motors which are iron, more iron, even more iron, and some carbon. Oh and T1 chips also use iron.

And everything structural uses iron/steel, titanium, or both.

The DSP crew seems on the ball on most other things and I can absolutely see the resource balance thinking has a bunch of extra titanium and copper because you're going to be using it for shields, turrets and your own warship drones.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Alkydere posted:

The DSP crew seems on the ball on most other things and I can absolutely see the resource balance thinking has a bunch of extra titanium and copper because you're going to be using it for shields, turrets and your own warship drones.

I could see copper being part of some kind of shielding (either actual shields or something like a faraday cage to confuse the enemy sensors), and titanium being something offensive (weapon, ammo, or both). Either way, there’s plenty of space for them to play in.

I wasn’t expecting anything akin to the sprays at all, so I’m sure they’ll do something cool/fun regarding the other resources that are still in excess for the moment.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I used up the copper on my starter planet slightly before the iron in my current run, not sure how. I think there may have been significantly less copper to start with

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Alkydere posted:

Yup. T1 chips use copper, the transistors for T2 chips use copper (which also use T1 chips) and then...T3 use the plane filters which are titanium, glass (stone), a fuckton of hydrogen and either carbon (organic crystals) or optical crystals.

As compared to motors which are iron, more iron, even more iron, and some carbon. Oh and T1 chips also use iron.

And everything structural uses iron/steel, titanium, or both.

This imbalance existed for quite a long time in factorio, too. And then we had another long stretch where it was oscillating between mostly iron early, mostly copper middle game, and iron heavy late game.
In the final release things were mostly balanced after the early game, but the changes came very late in the development cycle.

Maybe the monster defence uses mostly copper, we can hope.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Assuming that resources are effective infinte above a certain vein exploit tech level, what is the benefit of proliferation aside from compactness?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Faster downstream production

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Right but that's not anything you couldn't get by building more production.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

zoux posted:

Assuming that resources are effective infinte above a certain vein exploit tech level, what is the benefit of proliferation aside from compactness?
Nothing but calling it compactness does it a disservice. Its a simple, time and material efficient thing to do to maximize your own time efficiency which is the entire tension of avatar based builders. Your rate at filling out a dyson sphere will go up by including them in your blueprints or retrofitting them to old construction. If you're already happy with that rate you are arguably done with that game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zoux posted:

Not having to do that as much seems like a great benefit

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

zoux posted:

There is only one resource the player's tech cannot give the player: the player's attention/brainpower.

Spraying allows the player to cut out so much bullshit and save time. Just a massive force multiplier.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
It's compound interest for your factory

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alkydere posted:

There is only one resource the player's tech cannot give the player: the player's attention/brainpower.

Spraying allows the player to cut out so much bullshit and save time. Just a massive force multiplier.

Really there’s at least two, the other being UPS.

I’m not sure if proliferation helps there but I would think so?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Researching infinite resources takes quite a long time, during which spraying is immensely helpful. At the mass building stage you are probably using blueprints exclusively, which means that if you incorporate sprayers into your blueprints from the start you are getting extra products for 0 effort

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's a little like asking what's the benefit of faster belts

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Gadzuko posted:

Researching infinite resources takes quite a long time, during which spraying is immensely helpful. At the mass building stage you are probably using blueprints exclusively, which means that if you incorporate sprayers into your blueprints from the start you are getting extra products for 0 effort

What level of vein utilization is good to shoot for? I'm at 11 right now.

I have to say, it's very satisfying to *finally* get a good rocket and solar sail production going. Seeing the EM launchers blasting away with rockets launching in sync is chefkiss.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Watching your dyson sphere get built is way cooler than actually having it be complete

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

Watching your dyson sphere get built is way cooler than actually having it be complete

While true that just means you move to another system with a more interesting looking sun and build a new one there.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I played a shitload of this game and don't know what spraying is at all. Did they add it?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Yes, it's a gizmo, that when used on inputs, will either speed up the production or cause additional output products to magically appear (use this mode).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thinking about throughput from an ore world to a forge one: Once you have stable ILS, and, say, you head to your lava world to begin exploitation, how many ILSs do you place? Do you fill all 12 slots with incoming MkIII belts, or do you try to keep a ratio? More towers are more drones transporting more ore but maybe it doesn't make that much of difference?

Lemme amend that, I'm sure you can brute force it by dropping tons of towers that do nothing but take in and transport ore, but I'm wondering how much of that is a marginal benefit and how much is necessary

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 30, 2022

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Thinking about throughput from an ore world to a forge one: Once you have stable ILS, and, say, you head to your lava world to begin exploitation, how many ILSs do you place? Do you fill all 12 slots with incoming MkIII belts, or do you try to keep a ratio? More towers are more drones transporting more ore but maybe it doesn't make that much of difference?

Lemme amend that, I'm sure you can brute force it by dropping tons of towers that do nothing but take in and transport ore, but I'm wondering how much of that is a marginal benefit and how much is necessary

On all my mining worlds, I put down a single ILS with PLS nearby ore patches, usually trying to put them near 2-3 if possible. I've never needed more than 1 ILS on a mining planet, but IDK someone may have better math on that?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve run a complex of 1 ILS demanding ore, feeding 4 with warpers/vessels. I figured 40 outbound ships was better than 10, plus another 10 from whatever station was receiving.

The receiver for this was inverted, 4 stations demanding and feeding one that was supplying a planet with the ore in question. There was always ore coming into the one, and it was nearly enough to keep the one station supplied despite the massive number of drones coming in for pickup. It also gave a chance to spray things on both sides, and moved a lot of ore (obviously used a ton of warpers as well :v: )

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I just chuck down an ILS for each group of ore patches I'm mining and feed them directly into it, usually around 3 or so. It might be slightly more power efficient to use PLS beyond the first one on the planet but it's not hard to just chuck down an extra power plant or two.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I exclusively use ILS once you get them, its easy to mass produce and by the time I'm exploiting whole planets for ore I have the resources to use artificial suns to power things

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I'll still use Planetary towers in places where I'm making a lot of stuff, since the way the build times work out I'm usually going to have an overflow of them even if all of my IP tower machines are running full-tilt. My early mining outpost worlds likely have a few incorporated, naturally.

I find that I need several IP towers requesting each type of ore on my forge world in order to keep enough on-planet to avoid Artificial Shortages (the worst kind of shortages!), in the midgame, and that receiving capacity in general becomes the bottleneck (until the forge world has more potential request capacity than there is supply capacity throughout the entire cluster).

As a rule during this phase I'd like to have two IP towers minimum per outpost world, one using 2-3 slots for shipping in warpers and power resources. Obviously everything being mined gets at least one slot in one of those towers, and whatever the main idea of this expansion is gets one in each; if I do put down a third IP tower generally it gets a slot in that too.

Once I've got Advanced Miners available on demand 0 Planetary towers pop up outside manufacturing or smelting hubs for sure, and I might even clean up old Planetary tower/regular Miner installations and put down advanced miners, if I happen to land near one.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

BadMedic posted:

On all my mining worlds, I put down a single ILS with PLS nearby ore patches, usually trying to put them near 2-3 if possible. I've never needed more than 1 ILS on a mining planet, but IDK someone may have better math on that?

I only use ILSes on mining planets. There's only a small sliver of the game where the cost difference matters, and I'd rather not introduce or think about the possibility of a bottleneck, plus it's extra work to make a distribution hub. I think the only time you should use a PLS is if you want to make double sure that an intermediate product never leaves the planet.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I can see using PLS's a whole lot if its a processor optimization thing, where having only a few ILS ports on a planet makes things easier for the game to calculate. I don't know enough about how DSP handles things to say anything about that though.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I have a bunch of smelting and assembling blocks blueprinted, with Planetary towers all hooked up, consciously so that I can put my first ones down when I'm still in the "ordering all the materials from logistics and handcrafting every tower" stage. Once I'm past that it's a matter of not needing the extra drone-logistics slot in each build, and having already set up the overflow Planetary towers to split off before going into the sprayer on their way to become IP towers.

Also the addition of a fourth slot to Planetary towers made all kinds of poo poo a lot easier, every three-input build can handle that block's output internally instead of needing to be hooked up to some outside infrastructure and every two-or-less-input build can request its own spray with the tower.

I assume most posters here have already worked personal-level logistics requesters to handle spray distribution into their blueprints, but on the off chance someone hasn't, logistics settings for those are saved in the blueprints just like the Supply/Request settings for towers.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Dr. Stab posted:

I think the only time you should use a PLS is if you want to make double sure that an intermediate product never leaves the planet.

You could just set it to remote storage and accomplish the same thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes ILS is strictly better than a PLS. The only advantage they have is that they can be placed closer to each other (but not closer to ILSes) and lower power. If either space or power were limited in this game it might matter but they aren't so it doesn't - except for that one sliver of the game when you are transition into ILSes.

I think an interesting restriction would be on the number of ILSes you can place on a planet, or limiting placement to the lower latitudes like actual space elevators would be. But then I'd probably just get a mod to take the limit off ._.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

zoux posted:

I think an interesting restriction would be on the number of ILSes you can place on a planet, or limiting placement to the lower latitudes like actual space elevators would be. But then I'd probably just get a mod to take the limit off ._.

Already exists a little bit, with orbital collectors at equator-only on gas giants.

its already semi-annoying there, but I get why they did it

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Gas collectors and gas giants feel like systems which are placeholders for something more interesting or at least less awful than how placing them works now tbh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just use a blueprint. I gather people don't do that so I assume it's something I'm getting from the Blueprint Tweaks mod, which you should get because it lets you bp a 40-ring of gas giant collectors.

I'm a broken record on this but I really, really dislike the fake bottleneck created by the drone mechanics, and that's most apparent when you are laying down collectors one at a time. I'd be happy if there was no mech at all and you just built stuff.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
drat these new logistics bots are nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have never found a steel set up I like, what do you guys do? With that production time, can you beat a simple 1-to-1