Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Two Owls posted:

If someone flat-out goes "I am new" in QP it's time to chill, muck about, and all take the piss out of the tank who has become furious and gone "I CAN'T CARRY 1 VS 6".

The Mercy didn't say a single thing the whole match.

She also barely used heal beam. and only learned what Guardian Angel did at the end of the second map.

It was a lot of fun, I would die for that idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Did they use the gun, and therefore make themselves more effective than 90% of Mercy players?

What has exactly 60 hp? The two damage figures I see the most are 0 and 60. Sometimes 120.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Veryslightlymad posted:

Did they use the gun, and therefore make themselves more effective than 90% of Mercy players?

What has exactly 60 hp? The two damage figures I see the most are 0 and 60. Sometimes 120.

had an enemy mercy last night using her gun every now and then and it hosed me up bad

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I beat a Roadhog in a duel at one point last night.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Questions while I'm at work:

1. Zarya's beam goes through what shield abilities? (winston bubble, rein shield, d.va bullet eating, etc)
2. Can Orisa's spear throw stop abilities? I saw a stat that said ultimates interrupted with the spear icon in my hero profile but wasn't sure.
3. What tank counters Rein? I was doing great with Orisa since she can just push rein off cart and point, but was curious if there was a better counter (if any).
4. I played a ton of "all pick" competitive, but does it functionally work the same as picking only support? I played maybe 20 matches yesterday and only 2 did I get to play tank.
5. Why do people insist on letting a pharah/mercy combo poo poo on our team instead of picking a hitscan dps? I've been playing Baptiste more just because dps sometimes refuse to swap and then I get yelled at for my healing numbers.
6. How hard is it to climb out of whatever rank you're at? I'm currently at gold4 support and the next update set me at gold4 support again. I feel like I'm at the mercy of whatever tank/dps picks people make and all the healing in the world can't stop people from playing widow/hanzo on capture the point maps.
7. When should I be swapping speed/heal for lucio? I generally do speed for helping everyone get to fights and/or helping respawning people get back quick but once I'm at the fight, I keep it on healing and boost when people get low.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

poemdexter posted:

1. Zarya's beam goes through what shield abilities? (winston bubble, rein shield, d.va bullet eating, etc)
2. Can Orisa's spear throw stop abilities? I saw a stat that said ultimates interrupted with the spear icon in my hero profile but wasn't sure.
3. What tank counters Rein? I was doing great with Orisa since she can just push rein off cart and point, but was curious if there was a better counter (if any).
4. I played a ton of "all pick" competitive, but does it functionally work the same as picking only support? I played maybe 20 matches yesterday and only 2 did I get to play tank.
5. Why do people insist on letting a pharah/mercy combo poo poo on our team instead of picking a hitscan dps? I've been playing Baptiste more just because dps sometimes refuse to swap and then I get yelled at for my healing numbers.
6. How hard is it to climb out of whatever rank you're at? I'm currently at gold4 support and the next update set me at gold4 support again. I feel like I'm at the mercy of whatever tank/dps picks people make and all the healing in the world can't stop people from playing widow/hanzo on capture the point maps.
7. When should I be swapping speed/heal for lucio? I generally do speed for helping everyone get to fights and/or helping respawning people get back quick but once I'm at the fight, I keep it on healing and boost when people get low.

1. Beam weapons (Zarya/Symmetra) ignore suck effects like Dva Matrix and Sigma ability, but are blocked by all shields.

2. Spear can stop Channeled ults, like Reapers or Cassidys. It can also interrupt Ultimates during the cast time like Lucios Soundbarrier before he hits the ground.
Transformation ults like Soldiers visor or Roadhogs just continue after a brief interruption.

4. All pick just places you to a role that is needed to get game started.
Currently there's way too many Damage players and too few support players, so that's where you mostly get placed.

6. You get placed higher only if you are getting better at Overwatch. Most players will stay long periods (up to forever) at the same rank, after they plateau. Some people are just better at (learning) this game and they keep climbing, plateauing for a while and climbing again. :shrug:
No point in blaming team mates/enemies for losses though. They might lose you an occasional game, but same idiots are on both teams so you being less of an idiot than them will win you more games and eventually raise you through ranks.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 29, 2022

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Issaries posted:

1. Beam weapons (Zarya/Symmetra) ignore suck effects like Dva Matrix and Sigma ability, but are blocked by all shields.

2. Spear can stop Channeled ults, like Reapers or Cassidys. It can also interrupt Ultimates during the cast time like Lucios Soundbarrier before he hits the ground.
Transformation ults like Soldiers visor or Roadhogs just continue after a brief interruption.

4. All pick just places you to a role that is needed to get game started.
Currently there's way too many Damage players and too few support players, so that's where you mostly get placed.

6. You get placed higher only if you are getting better at Overwatch. Most players will stay long periods (up to forever) at the same rank, after they plateau. Some people are just better at (learning) this game and they keep climbing. :shrug:
No point in blaming team mates/enemies for losses though. They might lose you an occasional game, but same idiots are on both teams so you being less of an idiot than them will win you more games and eventually raise you through ranks.

Thanks. And yeah, I try not to blame teammates as much as I can because I don't know if they've been playing for 2 days or 2 years. I make call outs in voice when enemies sneak the backlines, but I'm way too old and jaded to be toxic in a video game. I know I can do better with positioning myself and just being more aware of what's going on around me. I think I'm just weirded out by the fact that I was solidly plat in Overwatch 1 and now I'm bronze tank/dps and gold support in Overwatch 2. At least in gold matches, the teams are a little bit smarter. The games are getting more balanced and people aren't making the obvious mistakes most of the time. It's just annoying when a single enemy pick is destroying our team and no one wants to adjust to counter it. No one likes to be told to swap heroes I find.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Yeah. I can't wait for the new character Ramattra and grounding all the fliers forever.

Now If we could just get an anti-sniper Tank too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

poemdexter posted:

4. Check the queue times. Usually it looks like this

because nobody wants to play Support, so 90% of the time when you Flex you will be put into the role with the shortest queue time.

5. Aiming is hard and most dps players suck. Mercy + Pharah basically requires two players to not such at aiming to counter even.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Issaries posted:

Yeah. I can't wait for the new character Ramattra and grounding all the fliers forever.

Now If we could just get an anti-sniper Tank too.

Both Orisa and Dva counter snipers well. Winston and Ball too but they also suck right now.

I'm also pretty sure that Ramattra won't be able to do poo poo against fliers, despite Blizz trying to imply that he will.
His "anti-flier" ability has to be aimed at the ground, so you won't be able to see the fliers while aiming it and the AoE size is too small to catch them blindly.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

What is it with low ground dvas?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

poemdexter posted:

3)Really depends on map. Hog is a reasonable counter, because he has big burst. Winston and Doom can just ignore him and dive his squishies.

5)Lack of object permanence. Remember you can shoot and heal with Baptiste without sacrificing either.

7)Often. Janking with speed will frustrate your opponents, but you should flip it on to power escapes. If everyone is more or less topped off, you should be on speed. Just toggling it for a second or two here or there. Starting an amp up on speed and switching quickly to healing can save an entire team.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What is it with low ground dvas?

They throw off Hanzo's aim by presenting such a large easy target with melting hp that he stops being able to pick off tiny heads.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEJVOxzjyQ0

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's a lot of :10bux::10bux: skins I will never look at.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Very excited for all those themed skins.

The same way I was excited for all of those Cyberpunk themed skins we've got from the Battle Pass.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

That's a lot of :10bux::10bux: skins I will never look at.

hopefully because you're quitting the game and posting here

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dynamite Dog posted:

hopefully because you're quitting the game and posting here

I would if it wasn't still the best class-based shooter on the market despite making GBS threads all over itself.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Two Owls posted:

If someone flat-out goes "I am new" in QP it's time to chill, muck about, and all take the piss out of the tank who has become furious and gone "I CAN'T CARRY 1 VS 6". Nice maths, mate.

Still not as much ribbing as the guy who was so cross he mis-typed "diff" as "figg" got though

I was trying to complete my seasonal challenges last night, specifically Winston's "do 1000 damage with his alt fire" and I told my team that "I really suck rear end with Winston I'm just trying to complete his challenges so sorry for the terrible play"

Most of my team was like "no worries it's qp" but one guy was like

:byodood: D O N O T T A L K
:byodood: winton 2-10 why

To which I replied: winton
and the rest of both teams kept repeating winton.

I felt like I had succeeded twice. :chord:

Edit: The Medusa widow, Hermes Lucio, and Minotaur Rein skins are :syoon: but I'm not paying $20 a pop for them.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 30, 2022

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

These skins are amazing, i just won't be spending any $$$ on them.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I sure love healing against a Rein shielding a Bastion. No one at gold knows how to play against it but they all think the answer is Hanzo.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 30, 2022

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I sure love healing against a Junkrat and Soldier when our tank just refuses to play anything but Sigma.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

poemdexter posted:

I sure love healing against a Rein shielding a Bastion. No one at gold knows how to play against it but they all think the answer is Hanzo.

Hanzo is a good shield breaker.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
LMAO I played through all of OW1 without a Lucio skin I really liked and now that they finally make one I love I'll never get it. This is it, this is exactly how long it took, for me personally, for the change to real money cosmetics to kill my interest in Overwatch Barbie.

Edit - and if they ever put it anywhere in the bottom half of a battle pass it'll just mean everyone has it instead of people buying the one Olympus skin they most wanted.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

teagone posted:

Hanzo is a good shield breaker.

I'm sure there are better shield breakers though? Like junkrat?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
backseating people's hero choices is always an awful idea because you have no idea how skilled they are with the "better" counterpicks. if someone is comfortable with a character who isn't particularly countered by the opponent's team odds are they're playing the best choice for the job for that specific player. there's a good chance that person wouldn't hit a single direct grenade the entire game on junkrat.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Junkrat bastion and symmetra are probably the top three but Hanzo is can do it better than most. He does over 100 damage an arrow, never reloads, and his rapid fire does a ton tok.

poemdexter posted:

I sure love healing against a Junkrat and Soldier when our tank just refuses to play anything but Sigma.

I really like sigma against soldier and junkrat.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Sigma is weird in that I feel like I can live forever with him but he's so boring to play that I still don't do it that often. And oftentimes that long life is a bad thing because I end up out of sync with my teammates.

But yeah I'm not bothered by Soldier or most Junks at all.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Countblanc posted:

backseating people's hero choices is always an awful idea because you have no idea how skilled they are with the "better" counterpicks. if someone is comfortable with a character who isn't particularly countered by the opponent's team odds are they're playing the best choice for the job for that specific player. there's a good chance that person wouldn't hit a single direct grenade the entire game on junkrat.

The only caveat here I would say is DPS players need some sort of hitscan, because if you can't counter Pharah on some level she will just dominate lower elos.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

socialsecurity posted:

The only caveat here I would say is DPS players need some sort of hitscan, because if you can't counter Pharah on some level she will just dominate lower elos.

Good alternative is to contest the skies yourself with Pharah or Echo.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The answer to pharah is me playing Ana because otherwise no one will shoot at her ever.

I dunno if you guys are playing silver/gold like I am slowly climbing out of, but a rein with a bastion just tears through teams as well as a soldier and junkrat just shooting behind the sigma at the rest of the team because he won’t shield up.

Most maps are fine with pics but it really feels like the robot pushing maps require more team coordination and counter picking than the others since it’s almost all weird corners and open ground. It’s easier to flank on those maps too i feel.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Junkrat bastion and symmetra are probably the top three but Hanzo is can do it better than most. He does over 100 damage an arrow, never reloads, and his rapid fire does a ton tok.

I really like sigma against soldier and junkrat.

McCrassedee fan roll fan is a shield shattering menace, too

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Veryslightlymad posted:

Naw, I lose my entire Internet. It's just the lovely company doing lovely company things.

This is me too. I miss my Google fiber.

Thanksgiving week everything was poo poo so I could only QP as tanks, but just today my connection clicked back into place and I got 6 wins in a row was Sombra, she's still great in silver even after the nerf

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

socialsecurity posted:

Pharah also dominates higher elo. Not sure how it is in OW2 (I uninstalled again, darktide came out and its more fun) but in OW1 shittons of t500 was just pharah players making GBS threads on people because its almost impossible to kill her if she plays properly.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
the answer to literally everything in overwatch isn't a specific hero it's team work

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

the answer to literally everything in overwatch isn't a specific hero it's team work

I'm sure that with enough teamwork a team of Doomfist, Mei, Genji, Lucio and Moira can totally stop a Pharmercy.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
As a Pharah main, nothing makes me switch away faster than a half competent Echo.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

I'm sure that with enough teamwork a team of Doomfist, Mei, Genji, Lucio and Moira can totally stop a Pharmercy.

yes they can and I'd give them significantly better odds than a team with two hitscan dps that are getting screamed at by the rest of the team lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
focus fire is the most op thing in OW and pharahmercy can't contest the point, nor can they do anything if a team insists on fighting inside