Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I'm really bored of the "radical left" thing that the right has borrowed from US politicians. Like you're either a dog-whistling fascist or you're "radical left" and there's nowhere in between. I'd hope that wouldn't play in Canada considering we're not as clearly either/or as the US but even as I type this it sounds overly optimistic of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

InfiniteZero posted:

I'm really bored of the "radical left" thing that the right has borrowed from US politicians. Like you're either a dog-whistling fascist or you're "radical left" and there's nowhere in between. I'd hope that wouldn't play in Canada considering we're not as clearly either/or as the US but even as I type this it sounds overly optimistic of me.

What's wrong with being part of the radical left?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Bel Shazar posted:

Nothing, but for example Justin Trudeau is not part of it, despite what CPC people will tell you.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

InfiniteZero posted:

Nothing, but for example Justin Trudeau is not part of it, despite what CPC people will tell you.

Their words don't have meaning its just rage with mouth shapes.

Don't let it bother you unless it turns to violence.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

InfiniteZero posted:

There is the third choice. The cowardly centrist which is worse than both those things.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I'm so radical that I've become a Sick! Nasty! Leftist!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Bel Shazar posted:

That thing that exists

fartman
Sep 19, 2021

COPE 27 posted:

That thing that exists

I'll have you know that it does exist, and man can those people pass around leaflets at your local university campus like nobody's business

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My bad I'm working class so I haven't encountered any left wing people at university.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

COPE 27 posted:

My bad I'm working class so I haven't encountered any left wing people at university.

You can use the Internet at your local public library to view YouTube videos of people desperately trying to get people to care.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I loving wish any politicians were radical left. I'll keep voting NDP as the lesser evil and because my reps are Gazan and Asagwara who are awesome. But I feel like the federal NDP overall keeps moving further centre and a lot of what I hear from Singh is either out of touch or ineffectual.

He was ranting yesterday about how its Trudeau's fault that healthcare is so bad right now because he won't negotiate with the premiers. I can't speak for other provinces, but I think you would be hard pressed to find many non-PC voters in Manitoba who want the feds to give a single extra cent to Stefanson, whose government has been dismantling and defunding our healthcare for years while they hand out fat cheques to their rich buddies like that loser obby khan. She refuses to give any plan at all for how they'd use the extra money, so gently caress her, I am in complete agreement with the LPC on that one, Jagmeet.

Every email I get from them is asking for a minimum $75. Never "please give what you can" or "every bit helps". Good job snubbing the smaller donation donors that I presume make up a big part of your funding.

I got a survey from them where it was basically "which of these things do you want to pat us on the back for?" and "which of these same things do you want us to keep doing?" Not a single mention of anything to help people in poverty (aside from fighting "greedflation" I guess, they really want to make that a word), mental health, addictions, or indigenous issues.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm so radical that I've become a Sick! Nasty! Leftist!

Wayne? Is that you?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

InfiniteZero posted:

Like you're either a dog-whistling fascist or you're "radical left" and there's nowhere in between.

All the centrists are just people that are too stupid to not accidentally enable fascism, so this is basically true tbh

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
There needs to be a third way somewhere between fascism and anti-fascism. I am very smart.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Fascism Lite.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Danielle Smith done a thing…

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-premier-danielle-smith-sovereignty-act-1.6668175

Awful, awful person, she is.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It's great that all the conservative premiers have decided that democracy is too bothersome...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I feel like this leaves them wide open to lawsuits from various First Nations groups as it appears to overstep tons of laws?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

It's amazing how proud she is of a blatantly unconstitutional and anti-democratic bill that will likely be overturned in a New York minute.

Even aside from being an awful person, she's bad at politics. You're not winning the next election with just the rural vote and I'm pretty sure this loses much of what's left of the urban vote if the NDP keep hammering this until May.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I look forward to her trying to use the "notwithstanding clause", and possibly talking about her first amendment rights as well

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/OFLabour/status/1597680933288960000?s=20&t=4fX4-7SJCDOZrapgCv8BSA

doug is looking to appeal, of course

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Madkal posted:

I look forward to her trying to use the "notwithstanding clause", and possibly talking about her first amendment rights as well

Not a lawyer but I don't think notwithstanding clause would work on this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

COPE 27 posted:

Not a lawyer

Don't worry, neither is she

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The judge on that had a really fun quote along the lines of "You gave a refund on license stickers that was more than 5 times the cost of the raise the workers were looking for." Judge apparently also wasnt happy that the OPC gave zero reasons for any of their moves regarding to tax breaks for certain people.

Dougler is also being hammered on his ties to the construction industry regarding paving over the green belt.

I hope that trash bag of cowardice loses everything.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

The judge on that had a really fun quote along the lines of "You gave a refund on license stickers that was more than 5 times the cost of the raise the workers were looking for." Judge apparently also wasnt happy that the OPC gave zero reasons for any of their moves regarding to tax breaks for certain people.

Dougler is also being hammered on his ties to the construction industry regarding paving over the green belt.

I hope that trash bag of cowardice loses everything.

That's an unfair comparison to trash bags, which by their nature keep the trash in. He's more like a pipe of raw sewage, a midden heap of mediocrity and cowardice.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

It's worth reading the Bill itself. Subsection 3(b)(ii) is cute, but it will never fly.

https://www.assembly.ab.ca/assembly-business/bills/bill?billinfoid=11984&from=bills

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

If this were to pass wouldn't this mean that BC could pass something similar and then ban or heavily tariff any pipelines that AB wants to run through BC and who cares what the Feds say or do?

Anyhow this comment made me laugh:

an actual funny comment on a news article for once posted:

Alberta is now ruled by The Bloc Rednecois.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

If this were to pass wouldn't this mean that BC could pass something similar and then ban or heavily tariff any pipelines that AB wants to run through BC and who cares what the Feds say or do?

Do you mean to imply that Danielle Smith may not have fully considered the implications of the legislation she is proposing?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

infernal machines posted:

Do you mean to imply that Danielle Smith may not have fully considered the implications of the legislation she is proposing?

I think you might be onto something here…

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

infernal machines posted:

I'm just looking forward to her crying to the feds to force BC to allow their pipelines, while also telling the feds to pound sand. And the inevitable interview with her where she says some variation of "But you don't understand, it's fine when we do it, but it's mean when they do it".

Because that's how this song and dance always play out when they start going.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Waaaah the tyrannical overreaching federal government isn't building a pipeline fast enough

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Cold on a Cob posted:

I watched part of her interview with Jordan Peterson and she said she was interested in working with Manitoba and building a port in Hudson Bay, buying ice breakers, dare to dream, etc.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Whiskey_Dick posted:

It's worth reading the Bill itself. Subsection 3(b)(ii) is cute, but it will never fly.

https://www.assembly.ab.ca/assembly-business/bills/bill?billinfoid=11984&from=bills

Section 4 is the less cute bit

Cold on a Cob posted:

Not even another province, but could you imagine what would happen if the Alberta NDP were elected, kept the bill around and used it? Conservatives would lose their minds.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Use it to turn Mordor back into the Southlands, and on the way out change the law to preclude it from existing ever again.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I feel like it was a tactical error to invest so much power in cabinet. You could've achieved the same thing by requiring a majority or super-majority vote of the legislature, and it'd be much harder for literally everyone to poo poo on it so readily. Is it because Danielle Smith is a mouth-breathing idiot, or because she knows she wouldn't have the votes to do what she wants to do with it?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You know Danielle Smith's new legislation is bad when Jason Kenney resigns in protest.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I feel like kenney resigned now so that he wouldn’t be around/involved with the UCP when either Smith really fucks up or the NDP rolls them in the spring election.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

PT6A posted:

I feel like it was a tactical error to invest so much power in cabinet. You could've achieved the same thing by requiring a majority or super-majority vote of the legislature, and it'd be much harder for literally everyone to poo poo on it so readily. Is it because Danielle Smith is a mouth-breathing idiot, or because she knows she wouldn't have the votes to do what she wants to do with it?

She barely cracked 50% in the leadership race. She's absolutely terrified that she wouldn't have the votes for some of her contemplated legislation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MakaVillian posted:

She barely cracked 50% in the leadership race. She's absolutely terrified that she wouldn't have the votes for some of her contemplated legislation.

Right, but it makes it piss-easy to defeat. It's probably unconstitutional either way, but if you can show you have a supermajority of the provincial legislature, at least you can cover your rear end and say it's "the will of the people" when the court enacts.... The Paddling of the Swollen rear end... With Paddles!

She's breaking kayfabe and she doesn't even understand it. Maybe it's for the best, because holy poo poo is she finna get a beatdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

MakaVillian posted:

This is the thing I really don't get. Kenney only had support of 51 percent of the party, and announced that this was "clearly" not enough support to be leader. Smith got 3 percent more and that's apparently enough?