Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I think just about everyone agrees that ritual harvest was probably the best harvest. Would be even better with itemized crafts...

Harvest league was (probably, before I played) too powerful for sure. Good for a league but absolutely no way for core. Ritual harvest though, yeah, you could still get that kind of gear but it took work. That's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Aerox posted:

I understand I'm probably an edge case here

... skipped picking up a raw exalt drop because it felt worthless,

lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Aerox posted:

I understand I'm probably an edge case here but I spent less time in Harvest than any other League because I slammed together top tier gear in a week that carried me through everything, and hit 36/40 on challenges like two weeks into the league.

It was a fun league but I distinctly remember getting to the point where I was running maps and skipped picking up a raw exalt drop because it felt worthless, and that was the point I bounced out of the league and decided not to go for 40/40. I'd definitely like to see more accessible crafting but I'm at least sympathetic to the idea that too much raw crafting power (especially concentrated in a single mechanic that obsoletes huge chunks of the rest of the game as being sub-optimal) is maybe not healthy long-term.

I have faith that a middle ground exists. The most significant thing I'd like is if the most interesting and transformative parts of the crafting system aren't locked behind extreme rarity/rng.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aerox posted:

I understand I'm probably an edge case here but I spent less time in Harvest than any other League because I slammed together top tier gear in a week that carried me through everything, and hit 36/40 on challenges like two weeks into the league.

It was a fun league but I distinctly remember getting to the point where I was running maps and skipped picking up a raw exalt drop because it felt worthless, and that was the point I bounced out of the league and decided not to go for 40/40. I'd definitely like to see more accessible crafting but I'm at least sympathetic to the idea that too much raw crafting power (especially concentrated in a single mechanic that obsoletes huge chunks of the rest of the game as being sub-optimal) is maybe not healthy long-term.

you're in the like top 1% of players unironically in that case lol

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
36/40 in two weeks is probably like top 0.2% or something.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I skipped harvest because I didn't feel like setting up the reddit garden, though I came back and played for about the last month

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I guess how far you get in a league before you get bored is partly a function of game system knowledge, but mostly a function of how much time you have to play.
So there's a balance where at a certain point people at the top end will get bored quicker because there's nowhere left to go, but players with less time will play for longer because progression doesn't feel like a slog.

There's no way to truly prove it, but I think GGG are erring in favour of the very top end. Judging by retention numbers from ritual league versus the more recent ones, I think they could substantially increase power creep and have more playtime per league overall, even if it meant no lifers playing for less (which is probably a good thing anyway). They seem pretty set on their path though, so we'll never find out.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
No idea what I'm league starting this time, I don't want to do another Lightning Strike, though. Maybe something with the new Trickster, because I still haven't tried that. How's it do for Toxic Rain, does anyone know?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

There's no way to truly prove it, but I think GGG are erring in favour of the very top end. Judging by retention numbers from ritual league versus the more recent ones, I think they could substantially increase power creep and have more playtime per league overall, even if it meant no lifers playing for less (which is probably a good thing anyway). They seem pretty set on their path though, so we'll never find out.

Harvest league still had one of the worst player retentions in living memory, right behind Kalandra (which is an unmitigated disaster) and Blight (lol wow classic). Ritual also had Harvest, but it was Ritual league not Harvest league. It had a new endgame, Atlas passives, an above average league mechanic and 3 reworked ascendancies that were big wins (well, 2 1/2, since Raider wasn't really a rework)

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Also I'm eyeing up Seismic Sabo as my league starter for 3.20 and thats really really not a good sign for the state of the meta

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

did they do a video yet for a new league or whatever im not really keeping up with the game atm

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Lpzie posted:

did they do a video yet for a new league or whatever im not really keeping up with the game atm

No, it's scheduled for like Dec 1st or 2nd I forget

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The issue with retention in Harvest league was not the power or crafting there, but having to set up the whole farm first.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I try to always league start a skill I've never played before, and at this point I'm starting to run out of credible-feeling options. Lightning coil, Explosive arrow, Spark, and Absolution feel like the top end of what's still available to me.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Wuxi posted:

Also I'm eyeing up Seismic Sabo as my league starter for 3.20 and thats really really not a good sign for the state of the meta

why do you think that's the meta/going to be the meta

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

why do you think that's the meta/going to be the meta

Its not going to be the meta, PoE players avoid any nerfed skill like the plague, no matter how viable.

Its very good and I'm very comfortable with it, thats it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

I try to always league start a skill I've never played before, and at this point I'm starting to run out of credible-feeling options. Lightning coil, Explosive arrow, Spark, and Absolution feel like the top end of what's still available to me.

i feel like explosive arrow's got to get a nerf simply because it's just too good to gear around and get going in every respect. if they don't change it it's still a no-brainer option beyond other league starters is my understanding

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Wuxi posted:

Its not going to be the meta, PoE players avoid any nerfed skill like the plague, no matter how viable.

Its very good and I'm very comfortable with it, thats it

okay ventrua :rolleyes:

for real though, yeah it should still be good. I'll be surprised if they actually give it that significant of a further nerf because it's good but it's definitely not insanely overtuned like it was, especially not for ssf or ssfhc.

I do really hope we get a thorough shakeup of skill balance

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I have my expectations for skill balance very low because there seems to be a lot of meat to the changes they have shown so far and this is not the patch in the cycle getting the heavy focus, that's next up. hopefully we at least get a couple new gems to play with, and then I figure next league will have big skill changes

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I still feel like it's going to be nerfs to the popular things this league, negligible buffs to other skills and we end up playing the same builds again but worse like the last 3 leagues. I doubt we'll see anything radical like mana builds back in vogue, or slams or anything like that

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

On one hand they are clearly gearing up to push out PoE2 and any big reworks are taken from the PoE2 honeypot, so they might be reluctant to do big changes right now, but on the other hand every single player, from the auto battler enjoyer to the masochist, is clamoring for a big loving meta shakeup because oh boy is it boring to play my 10th seismic sabo in a year.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

In the interim before a much needed shakeup, you can choose not to play with topmost tier skills. I have not played with Lightning Strike and it is still not in my plans.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't even care about a shakeup at this point I just want something to change for a reason other than the balance team deciding to murder something

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
If they do not buff selfcast Divine Ire to be a meta skill, I will be forced to take drastic measures, such as downvoting the patch notes on reddit.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Keru posted:

You don't _have_ to use trade, you could just do what a lot of other goons do: play the game in trade, maybe dip into the guild stash or ask if anyone's got a thing you want/need for a build and only trade within that (or in #5555, the 'general goons' global channel ingame). SSF started that way, before it was an actual 'league' mode of its own, just as an unenforced thing people did for a challenge.

This is a really good compromise I hadn't thought of! Filling out the atlas and plugging resistance holes were the main things I was dreading, and the guild stash/goon-only trades should be a huge help there.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

This is a really good compromise I hadn't thought of! Filling out the atlas and plugging resistance holes were the main things I was dreading, and the guild stash/goon-only trades should be a huge help there.

The biggest downside for me of SSF is trying to find build-enabling uniques where I know I can get the thing if I play enough, like a dead reckoning, but waiting for it to drop is just tedious and that's where trade steps in.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Herstory Begins Now posted:

okay ventrua :rolleyes:

for real though, yeah it should still be good. I'll be surprised if they actually give it that significant of a further nerf because it's good but it's definitely not insanely overtuned like it was, especially not for ssf or ssfhc.

I do really hope we get a thorough shakeup of skill balance

Depending on the curse changes, poison seismic potentially got a huge buff so they reeaaaallllyyyy need to properly nerf the skill.

Agree that it'd be cool to see different stuff buffed, but after 3.19 I'm kind of worried that whoever is remaining on leagues and PoE1 is not really their A team.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah I guess that's the main demotivator, nothing is actually buffed to be good, its just whatever was nerfed the least? any new meta stuff will be because the current was nerfed, not because anything new was buffed. The search for a new build isnt because something new and exciting was buffed, its hey, what can I play that didnt get the nerf bat that hardest.

obviously all the changes in the manifestos have been neat but im really talking about main skills.

give me un nerfed archmage, agnostic, explode chest, mana builds, make arcane surge like it used to be, fuckin somethin big anyways.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Each league they should pick 3 skill gems to buff by a ridiculous amount, and then not say anything about it.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Aerox posted:

how many hours played did you have in those 2 weeks?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Aerox posted:

we can definitely ignore this behavior

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

we can definitely ignore this behavior

Thats generally what is done with statistical outliers.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Each league they should pick 3 skill gems to buff by a ridiculous amount, and then not say anything about it.

"molten strike gains 2 projectiles per level"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The fact that lightning strike was in the small teaser tells me something is going to happen to it, but who knows what.

Although they also weirdly highlighted storm burst in a trailer a few leagues ago and didn't do anything there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

qnqnx posted:

Thats generally what is done with statistical outliers.

challenges georg has 31,026 exalts and can safely be ignored

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

yegods posted:

I could probably get interested in a goon private ruthless league. Maybe that would get me back to playing again.

:glomp: Let's see what happens. It would be cool to co-play just Ruthless with you.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
why is Kalandra's touch 2 mirrors? so you can buy a 5-mirror ring and save the change??

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Jinnigan posted:

why is Kalandra's touch 2 mirrors? so you can buy a 5-mirror ring and save the change??

Some rings are nearly impossible to get 2x of, especially if they're corrupted.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

interrodactyl posted:

Depending on the curse changes, poison seismic potentially got a huge buff so they reeaaaallllyyyy need to properly nerf the skill.

Agree that it'd be cool to see different stuff buffed, but after 3.19 I'm kind of worried that whoever is remaining on leagues and PoE1 is not really their A team.

I thought Despair was being buffed for hit but losing it's dot component?

qnqnx posted:

In the interim before a much needed shakeup, you can choose not to play with topmost tier skills. I have not played with Lightning Strike and it is still not in my plans.

I want a meta shakeup but I had more fun last league making my own dumb build than I've had in a long time, I'm gonna try to do it again if any new uniques/mechanics seem interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Jinnigan posted:

It also gives you flexibility.