Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Based on nothing I’m guessing February or March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Bethesda does have a track record of saying "here it comes!" And it's shockingly soon. But OTOH this is their first SP tent pole after F:76 and their first new IP in decades so they may well be putting in a little extra time.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm sure there's a joke that I'm missing, but some of you honestly did not know about the delay?

Anyway, they mentioned it coming out Q2 2023 but no date has been released yet.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

John F Bennett posted:

I'm sure there's a joke that I'm missing, but some of you honestly did not know about the delay?

Anyway, they mentioned it coming out Q2 2023 but no date has been released yet.

If they are saying Q2 2023 this late in the game then I imagine it will release Q3 or Q4 2023. Which is fine by me, I dont want a repeat of Cyberpunk 2077...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I wouldn't be surprised if it drops closer to Christmas 2023, like a mid-late November release.

Given the size I can see Bethesda having problems with QA and gameplay "fun" that pushes it into early Q1 2024 too. Maybe even selling Xboxes or something over Christmas with a Starfield iou and some Xbox artwork on the machine itself that is Starfield related.

I'm looking forward to it though, so hopefully they will surprise with deliverability. :)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the game was delayed due to the last minute title and theme change to GARFIELD

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Bad Purchase posted:

Do you see that lasagna? You can eat it

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

External Organs posted:

Do you see that lasagna? You can eat it

Can you mod out Mondays?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

External Organs posted:

Do you see that dog semen? You can drink it

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bad Purchase posted:

Day 1 buy for me.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Todd Howard was on a podcast recently where he released some tidbits of info. This article mentions some of those bits.

https://twistedvoxel.com/starfield-optimization-exclusivity-xbox-gameplay-difficulty/

The podcast is 3 hours long and is also in the article if you're interested, but the Starfield talk is only a small part of it.

edit: this reddit post has a bullet point summary
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/z8crw5/starfield_info_summary_of_todd_howards_latest/

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 30, 2022

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I don't love the idea of being stuck in a spacesuit most places I go. It makes sense, but feels limiting.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

quote:

Starfield will have 4 romance options that are more complex than Fallout 4

Well, it wouldn't be hard.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm glad they're still pursuing romance. Four, huh? I'm guessing either one straight and one gay man and woman, or one straight man, one straight woman, one bisexual woman, and one non binary person?

Actually, I don't think the companions in fallout 4 cared about or recognized your gender, so maybe that's one of the changes?

Were people wearing space suits in the scenes in the main city?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I hope one of the romance options is the ship itself.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

External Organs posted:

I hope one of the romance options is the ship itself.

Only if its personality can be transferred into a sexbot.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm glad they're still pursuing romance. Four, huh? I'm guessing either one straight and one gay man and woman, or one straight man, one straight woman, one bisexual woman, and one non binary person?

Actually, I don't think the companions in fallout 4 cared about or recognized your gender, so maybe that's one of the changes?

Four doesn't sound like a lot either way.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Sandepande posted:

Only if its personality can be transferred into a sexbot.

I'm imagining that the ship takes your whole person in via some kind of Jetsons / Futurama style transportation tube and then there's a cutscene where you're just flying through the bowels of the ship while techno music plays.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Across one thousand worlds, there are only, maybe, four people who will gently caress you.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

Across one thousand worlds, there are only, maybe, four people who will gently caress you.

it's true

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I mean as every single player will inevitably be a murder hobo, who steals everything that it's physically possible to and get everywhere via hopping, this just shows people in the future have good taste.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That's why I play video games, for the escapist fantasy :v:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

How many of the four will only do it in exchange for goods or services?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

warning, don't watch the starfield section of that interview, it's long and bad and full of the interviewer waxing broetic

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

1glitch0 posted:

Four doesn't sound like a lot either way.

I am sure modders will fix that asap

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bad Purchase posted:

warning, don't watch the starfield section of that interview, it's long and bad and full of the interviewer waxing broetic

Yeah the interviewer is really not great Makes it pretty hard to listen to.

Anything interesting said about ohter upcoming projects in the non-starfeild parts, or is mostly just Tod howards view on past stuff.?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Yeah the interviewer is really not great Makes it pretty hard to listen to.

Anything interesting said about ohter upcoming projects in the non-starfeild parts, or is mostly just Tod howards view on past stuff.?

It's mostly about how he got into the business, and his views on what the typical Bethesda rpg experience should be like etc... He also mentions that he was the reason Bethesda almost went bankrupt because of Redguard, which was the first project he received full control of but it flopped. Cool stuff like that! But I'm only an hour or so in, listening to it while running.

It's actually pretty interesting if you want to know more about the Bethesda design ethos and the history of Todd Howard, but I agree about the interviewer.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Please remember that Todd Howard is a professional liar.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

AlternateAccount posted:

Please remember that Todd Howard is a professional liar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFcLyDb6niA

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I love a good Todd Howard riff, but I also didn’t recognize anything in the video that was an actual lie?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I have to agree, this feels like looking for a "Great Man of History" style scape goat for a video game not being everything both the devs and the players might have hoped for.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah I have to agree, this feels like looking for a "Great Man of History" style scape goat for a video game not being everything both the devs and the players might have hoped for.

Todd Howard is such a bafflingly reviled individual considering he is probably the single most successful game director in the western world. The games he leads have made absolutely insane levels of ridiculous cash. Fallout 3 sold 12 million copies, and that was a reboot of a franchise that had become completely irrelevant, Skyrim had sold 30 million copies by 2016 and Fallout 4 did Fallout 3's numbers in a single day. He's basically a Shigeru Miyamoto in how he manages to lead these massive projects, always focuses directly on what the players would want such as cutting fuel from Starfield because it was boring and lovely and brings out the hits. That video is so dumb, "you can go anywhere" and they use that audio over a joke a Bethesda developer put in. Crowbcat in general is just the absolute loving worst, he's a TORtanic cultist in the worst way.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Todd Howard is such a bafflingly reviled individual considering he is probably the single most successful game director in the western world. The games he leads have made absolutely insane levels of ridiculous cash. Fallout 3 sold 12 million copies, and that was a reboot of a franchise that had become completely irrelevant, Skyrim had sold 30 million copies by 2016 and Fallout 4 did Fallout 3's numbers in a single day. He's basically a Shigeru Miyamoto in how he manages to lead these massive projects, always focuses directly on what the players would want such as cutting fuel from Starfield because it was boring and lovely and brings out the hits. That video is so dumb, "you can go anywhere" and they use that audio over a joke a Bethesda developer put in. Crowbcat in general is just the absolute loving worst, he's a TORtanic cultist in the worst way.

Pretty much this.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Personally I think the most telling bit there is where he reveals he's become a console gamer because it helps him mentally distinguish work from play, which I've anecdotally seen from lots of other people. I just hope it doesn't inadvertently lead to him diminishing the importance of PC, and by that I mean mods. Probably not, he has said more than once "someone will probably mod fuel in if they want it" which is a pretty accurate view of a situation where they tried something, it didn't really seem like it would mesh well for most people, but if someone wants to mod in a more punishingly immersive system, they can.

(It's me, I want to drift into planets gravity well when I run out of fuel).

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jack B Nimble posted:

My guess is:
1: straight male
2: straight female
3: bi female
4: wild action alien or robot!!!

Fisto is back! :3:

Though more likely the alien will be deep and thoughtful and it will be a neither gay or straight romance but kind of a "we are both smart for our species and our mere attraction is due to our deep philosophical views and love is all figurative and beneficial for good conversation (and combat bonuses)."

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Is Todd actually widely disliked though? I always assumed the vast majority of the Todd/Bethesda memeing is in pretty good spirit, mixed with a bit of frustration over how rarely they launch games, and that way more people are down with Todd than not.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Some people froth at the mouth at the mention of Todd Howard.

I think it's common enough that players don't necessarily like the direction he's taken some of the later games, but it's mostly just memeing.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I have a lot of problems with Bethesda games but Todd Howard maybe being misleading while marketing is hardly the biggest one. Like whatever, we all know how the formula works now. If they give me a big open world, some wacky sci-fi Blast-O-Ray guns and a cool spaceship to fly around in I'm fine. At the end of the day I just want to chill on my couch and play a game after work, and in that regard Bethesda delivers perfectly.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah Fallout 4 companions would do romance no matter what body type you chose. Always been torn on that choice. On the one hand it means you don't deny a path players might want to take with their preferred companion, on the other it makes those companions feel much less like real people.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Todd amuses me greatly with his elf-like charm and wonderment. His quote about "we could have done way more than 1000 planets but turns out making names for them was rate limiting" was very funny to me. Classic Todd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

todd howard has made exactly one good game in the past 2 decades, morrowind, and maybe you can give him some credit for subcontracting new vegas. he only makes a single genre of games using the same engine (with updates obviously) for 20 years. comparing him to miyamoto is really weird.

he definitely bends the truth a fair amount, but that’s pretty standard in game marketing. i don’t think he deserves the level of scorn he receives for it compared to others.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 1, 2022