Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

My son asked me to install a mod for him, and the amount of shady rear end websites, suspect .jar files, and general difficulties has convinced me that it is a real lovely loving game

The 'game' that's the intended Minecraft experience nowdays is the bedrock version, which is the C++ one which cross-plays on all platforms and has high performance and all that.

For modding, though, you need to use the somewhat legacy incompatible-with-bedrock java version, which is the hacky experience that isn't meant to be the 'main' Minecraft these days but is still extremely popular because mods, but it's all shady websites and jar files and stuff because modding isn't coordinated by MS.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

MikeJF posted:

The 'game' that's the intended experience is the bedrock version, which is the C++ one which cross-plays to all platforms and has high performance and all that.

For modding, though, you need to use the somewhat legacy java version, which is the hacky experience that isn't meant to be the 'main' Minecraft these days but is still extremely popular because mods, but it's all shady websites and jar files she stuff because it's not coordinated by MS.

Keep going, I'm almost there

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Karach posted:

It's a masterpiece. It stands up to multiple viewings, too.

I’m like twenty minutes in and super intrigued. Wes Anderson does psych thriller, kinda.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

kw0134 posted:

This was the "sponsored" tweet (ad) in my timeline, things are going well!

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

heavy liquid posted:

https://twitter.com/tripgabriel/status/1597760532982931458?s=20&t=i4Nt8M1BF0Ob3bVcfLmexQ

I used to want a Tesla years ago, but now I wouldn't be caught dead driving one. Not to mention all the quality control issues I've since read about.

Same. The whole “barbecue to death while frantically googling how to open the goddamn car door” thing, combined with having a wife and kids… big big no thank you elon

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/__femb0t/status/1597836386572566528?s=20&t=Y_U0Qsfhn3p8MnEM23SZfg

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

CumBlast Radius Jr posted:

"Oi, Ello, I like ISIS, pardon me." - John Lennon

“Oh os-aaaa-ma livin in a cave doodley doo,bombing the infidels in a cave of infinite smells..”

https://youtu.be/BD5TA0FVNf0

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

heavy liquid posted:

https://twitter.com/tripgabriel/status/1597760532982931458?s=20&t=i4Nt8M1BF0Ob3bVcfLmexQ

I used to want a Tesla years ago, but now I wouldn't be caught dead driving one. Not to mention all the quality control issues I've since read about.

The broader mainstream media, especially the pundit class, is beginning to devour this whole Twitter/Tesla thing with the worst loving takes of all time. Which is to be expected, but it’s a testament to how large and obvious this whole disaster is.

CNBC has a idiot babble about how this is just Cancel Culture coming for Tesla and consumers are trying to impose their morality on cars

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Like, a Tesla Model Y is something like 70k EUR around here and for that price you can already get a loving Mercedes EQC, which is an actual luxury electric car (and not "luxury" like the Tesla) and has good build quality. The horror stories that you hear from car shops about many Teslas needing 10k in repair work after their 50k km are insane.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

:lol:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
it probably doesnt help the owner of Tesla is pandering to the market segment who only want to drive lifted pickups with truck nuts, while making fun of people who like cleaner energy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Reminder that Google and their waymo research chose not to release any level 3 semi-self-driving products like autopilot because their studies made them decide it would be unethical to do so. Because the idea of 'the car is doing most of the work but the driver stays alert to intervene if necessary' turned out to be impossible in the real world.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

this is just Cancel Culture

ah yes the hot new trend of everything being cancel culture + wokeism, now in its 7th year lmfao

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Philthy posted:

it probably doesnt help the owner of Tesla is pandering to the market segment who only want to drive lifted pickups with truck nuts, while making fun of people who like cleaner energy

The next models will make users pull the truck nuts to activate the emergency escape latches

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This is the best possible outcome :allears:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lol, lidar sensors would have very likely prevented that crash

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
I already had a very skeptical view of Tesla out of the gate since it’s hard making good cars. Then I saw one and was like drat there’s a lot of stupid decisions here. Hated the huge tablet, all the glass. Then I sat in one and was like why is this built like dogshit?

It really doesn’t take a lot to push someone into skepticism mode and there’s a lot to fuel that once you arrive.

I’ve had to keep my mouth shut around other computer touchers for years now. They don’t mind when I poo poo on their media darlings like Westworld (well most of them don’t mind) but Tesla and Musk were untouchable for years. Now everybody acts like they’ve always know they were poo poo, including most tech pundits who were sucking his dick 24/7.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

Regardless of the joke

Absolutely the cops have a hand in whether that full auto turned off one second before impact as people say or not.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

GolfHole posted:

ah yes the hot new trend of everything being cancel culture + wokeism, now in its 7th year lmfao

Remember though that when the GOP uninvited Seseme Street and Musk is directly calling for a naming and shaming of companies who walk away from him, that’s not cancel culture. Nah.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I already had a very skeptical view of Tesla out of the gate since it’s hard making good cars. Then I saw one and was like drat there’s a lot of stupid decisions here. Hated the huge tablet, all the glass. Then I sat in one and was like why is this built like dogshit?

It really doesn’t take a lot to push someone into skepticism mode and there’s a lot to fuel that once you arrive.

I’ve had to keep my mouth shut around other computer touchers for years now. They don’t mind when I poo poo on their media darlings like Westworld (well most of them don’t mind) but Tesla and Musk were untouchable for years. Now everybody acts like they’ve always know they were poo poo, including most tech pundits who were sucking his dick 24/7.

My friend who is a computer toucher has one and thing that always gets me is for how drat expensive it is how genuinely uncomfortable it is to sit in. I'm tall and my back is always hosed up after being in one.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
I don't think there's any response yet from Apple on this. Do they just ignore it and hope Musk fucks off?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

I don't think there's any response yet from Apple on this. Do they just ignore it and hope Musk fucks off?

most companies are professional and don't have their CEO get into twitter slap fights over business disputes

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

I was a lukewarm on him for a while but my mech E buddy was skeptical for reasons I found valid and I generally heard him out when he griped about Elon being a dipshit with dipshit fans. I thought the rabid defense of him from others in nerddom was stupid but nerd heroes are few and far between... And usually it's guys like GabeN who you don't hear or see much of. I was just like eh he makes neat things but whatever.

Then the pedo diver incident happened and that was the first big red flag. Overengineering a solution to a time sensitive problem then getting mad at people that didn't use your comic book solution? Get hosed, bud.

I oughta got ask my buddy how being massively right feels.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. Much easier to ignore than work out a brand position and invite aggressive attention.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

Like, a Tesla Model Y is something like 70k EUR around here and for that price you can already get a loving Mercedes EQC, which is an actual luxury electric car (and not "luxury" like the Tesla) and has good build quality. The horror stories that you hear from car shops about many Teslas needing 10k in repair work after their 50k km are insane.

is that the one with gullwing doors?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

I think so. The best advice in almost every situation is to "shut the gently caress up".

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Call me crazy, but something tells me they don't really care about what a rigged Twitter poll or a guy on too much amphetamine says

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

If there’s anything to say, it’ll be through official lines of communication via app review.

I strongly suspect Apple will do nothing. Musk already delayed the app launch instead of pushing it to the point the app gets pulled. If I were those execs, just wait until the service melts down in some other way. It’ll only take a few more weeks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I expect their lawyers have sent polite letters over with lots of references to their ongoing relationship.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Musk is the equivalent of a guy yelling at a McDonalds employee that he wants to speak to the regional manager about the price of a Big Mac

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

I mean for the moment that would seem to be a smart move. If they just stay quite and don't pay him an attention Musk will likely move on to someone else to randomly to be all angry at pretty quickly.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

If anything I suspect the internal teams of apple consulted their legal on whether a response is warranted, and they said "lol nah"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

And the funny thing is, Apple probably doesn't have to lift a finger; Twitter will probably destroy itself from one of several likely crises: a cert ending and the institutional knowledge that could renew it was fired, Euro labor laws, not being able to pay bills because over half their advertisers walked....

That's assuming, of course, that there really is a dispute here and not a one-sided fight Elon picked because he wanted to score points with "freeze peach!" mouth-breathers.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

eventually apple is going to have to either pull the app or deny an update. i'm curious how they're going to handle it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Trillhouse posted:

eventually apple is going to have to either pull the app or deny an update. i'm curious how they're going to handle it.

like Apple, built in the image and spirit of one of its two founders

"lmao gently caress you"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They wouldn't do anything as passively as deny an update, they'll let things continue as normal, letting updates through, until the moment they pull the app and then release statements weeks in the crafting.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MikeJF posted:

I expect their lawyers have sent polite letters over with lots of references to their ongoing relationship.

which are sitting unopened on a desk in twitter's legal department, because all the lawyers quit or got fired for not writing enough code

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
The Twitter story moves so fast that Apple will be out of the spotlight in a few hours anyway.

It’s a lot like the people asking “why aren’t the coders sabotaging the site as they leave?” Harm should be self inflicted if you really want a true victory.

Though it’s not surefire. I had a real idiot boss and my strategy was to let him burn his own rear end. “Don’t let anyone see us working against him.” Alas, I underestimated upper management’s ability to listen to idiots when they blame an entire team/department for their incompetence. I expect the same to some level with Musk too, the right will buy his woeful tale of activists and leftists destroying his beautiful company.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

I bought into his bullshit at first, but his submarine "pedoguy" incident really opened my eyes and it's only been downhill since. Crazy how far downhill, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

...until the moment they pull it and then release statements weeks in the crafting.

A statement that will be incredibly boring and generic.