Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh my god this took way too loving long

(we almost died to enrage at the end)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Does anyone have actual concrete documentation for how the scaling works for FATEs/skirmishes in Bozja? I've seen multiple conflicting theories, proximity-based, chain-based, player-count-in-instance-based, and none of them hold up in practice. Sometimes the mammoth dies in two seconds, sometimes it dies in two minutes. What is making the mammoth beefier, please, god. Are there any sources of actual, tested, well-documented information and not just forum posts like this where its just people claiming things with nothing to back it up?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

short of the devs outright giving a peak under the hood, all we got are anecdotes on the level of "i tried it a bunch and this seemed the most plausible". i know there was some documenting and theory-crafting going on in the primal eureka/bozja discord going on, but that one got blasted recently and i haven't particularly cared to look for info in other places

as far as my own experiences go, the proximity-based theory seems the most plausible to me. it just seems vague how big the detection range for skirmishes is since it's bigger than the skirmish radius itself, and when it locks in since it happens before the skirmish actually shows up on the map. this is the most notable with two-parter skirmishes, as they spawn with few to no people around, then many gather to beat it, then the follow-up enters the queue with 20+ players in the proximity and scales it accordingly.

for the mammoth, since that spot has two skirmishes, it generally depends on whether those two skirmishes are broken up by a skirmish in a different spot. if the red mage and mammoth are back to back, it usually means the one to spawn second will be buffed up

then of course there's the x-factor of "other people", if you have two sets of 20 players, one where no player uses any damage essences or actions, and another set of 20 where everyone uses essences and actions to boost their damage by 50% to 200%, one group is gonna clear a lot faster than the other. bozja being what it is, this usually means the more people you have, the longer any given skirmish or critical engagement takes

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My assumptions about FATE scaling in general are always anecdotal. I ran with the theory that scaling is based on how many people were awarded contribution that last time the FATE appeared. Could that be wrong? Sure, but it does align with my own observations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Does anyone have actual concrete documentation for how the scaling works for FATEs/skirmishes in Bozja? I've seen multiple conflicting theories, proximity-based, chain-based, player-count-in-instance-based, and none of them hold up in practice. Sometimes the mammoth dies in two seconds, sometimes it dies in two minutes. What is making the mammoth beefier, please, god. Are there any sources of actual, tested, well-documented information and not just forum posts like this where its just people claiming things with nothing to back it up?

I have no evidence but in ages past the general guess was that fates scale based on participation in previous fates. I don't remember if previous fate means "last fate completed in the (never explained in game or demarcated in anyway) fate's region" or "last time this specific fate was completed." But anecdotally this has borne out for me consistently and I have done tons and tons and tons of fate grinding. Zadnor/Bozja seemed to work the same way, where the zerg would be blowing through skirmshes, then would gently caress off to castrum and fates would become extremely tedious until one was completed by the tiny handful people there and the others despawned and then it would be back to a reasonable level. Then castrum would end, the zerg would come back, and the first handful of skirmishes would get blown out completely before scaling caught up.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Proximity seems most likely to me, based on the numerous times I was part of the same exact zerg group in Zadnor, going from wimpy mammoth > buff mammoth > wimpy mammoth with no discernable change in players other than maybe a few went to the mammoth spot early that didn't the previous time.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

SettingSun posted:

My assumptions about FATE scaling in general are always anecdotal. I ran with the theory that scaling is based on how many people were awarded contribution that last time the FATE appeared. Could that be wrong? Sure, but it does align with my own observations.
It definitely doesn't update immediately on the next instance of the fate, at least in Bozja/Zadnor. There have been plenty of times when I'll roll with a huge mob (like 40 people) and we blew up the same 5 fates over and over for like 45 minutes before they stopped being "get one hit in and then the fate is immediately over"

For my anecdote, I often found that when Dalriada was running with a bunch of people in it, it seemed like that somehow resulted in the fates in Zadnor being scaled lower. There may be multiple factors, but I suspected that maybe the people in Dalriada weren't considered to be in the same area/zone for the purpose of fate scaling so they ended up scaled as if the whole instance population was the 30 or 40 people not in Dalriada.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

There's no concrete documentation because it's not practical to try and wrangle a large number of people into the same instance to test theories and pin them down. When it was current content, it was more or less impossible to get a large number of people into the same instance easily, and now that it's long since current content, nobody cares enough to do science.

If you want my (wholly unsupported by documentation) speculation based on spending a shitload of time in Bozja, proximity is the closest general explanation to correct, but it's not quite raw proximity - it's more discrete than that.

Each area in Bozja is divided into three different zones, initially gated off by your progress - typically they're referred to as zone 1, 2, and 3, with 1 being the zone you start in and 3 being the last one you unlock access to. Scaling isn't based on the number of players in these zones, however - each of these zones is invisibly subdivided into three different sectors. When a skirmish spawns in a particular sector, it checks the total number of players currently in its sector and scales the skirmish according to the number of players in that sector at the moment of spawning.

I don't have actual data to support the above, just wild-rear end speculation based on dozens of hours of lazy anecdotal observation. This is most visible in Z3 of the southern front, where you can get a specific spawn pattern that ends up with the train alternately bouncing between two sectors repeatedly, with new skirmishes spawning in alternately empty sectors. The causes the train to roll up and immediately stomp a skirmish extremely quickly, with the next skirmish queued up and spawning in the adjacent sector that has nobody in it because everybody just rushed for the most recent skirmish. With some time and observation, you can identify which skirmishes are located in which sectors - if skirmish B spawns while everybody is in the same sector to stomp skirmish A, skirmish B will be scaled up, but if skirmish C spawns in an adjacent sector at that same time, it'll go down extremely quickly if everybody is busy fighting skirmish A.

You saw this most clearly in Z3 because it was possible to get a spawn pattern where you had skirmishes A + B from sector 1, and skirmishes C and D in sector 2, that spawn in a regular repeated pattern of A -> C -> B -> D that loops back to A, so the skirmishes that are visible at any time alternate between sector 1 and 2, causing the entire population of zone 3 to have evacuated a sector entirely before the next skirmish appears in it, leading to a chain of low-scaled skirmishes back to back.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Proximity seems most likely to me, based on the numerous times I was part of the same exact zerg group in Zadnor, going from wimpy mammoth > buff mammoth > wimpy mammoth with no discernable change in players other than maybe a few went to the mammoth spot early that didn't the previous time.

As someone having leveled 10 proffs from 71-90 there, agreed. But I think with the big caveat that a single person from a full party will make the full party count for scaling if that 1 person is nearby a fate.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The gist is that Bozja skirmish scaling (assuming a proximity-based formula is correct) is weird because the devs expected players to behave one way (grind away on trash mobs for drops and go into nearby skirmishes as they appear) and players behaved a different way (only a handful of farmers exist at any time, everybody else is in a blob moving from skirmish to skirmish for maximum XP/hour).

Zadnor Z3 is just especially noticable because there's basically never any farmers there, everybody gets fed into it eventually so it has the highest amount of active players, and skirmishes are spread out such that there's usually a lot of distance between the previous one and the next one.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I don't know if it's a global thing or a local superstition, but it seems like on Chaos the accepted way to do Zadnor Z3 is for everyone to stand around near one particular crater in the middle of the map that's not near any FATE spawn location and wait for something to pop.

It seems to work pretty well, almost all the FATEs go down very quickly

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

I don't know if it's a global thing or a local superstition, but it seems like on Chaos the accepted way to do Zadnor Z3 is for everyone to stand around near one particular crater in the middle of the map that's not near any FATE spawn location and wait for something to pop.

It seems to work pretty well, almost all the FATEs go down very quickly

I think people just do this because it's the center of the area.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vitamean posted:

I think people just do this because it's the center of the area.

Yeah like three or four Skirmishes spawn relatively frequently in the area around there so everyone just hangs out in the middle.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

That's awesome.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I can't decide if I'm gonna stick with machinist or not. I'm at 44 now, and while the gun is cool I really hoped the rook would be a little guy who just hung around instead of a temporary ability. Anyone got opinions on how the playstyle, quests and fashion pan out later on?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Do you like pressing Heat Blast? If yes, keep going. If not, pick something else

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The questline is pretty good.

The gameplay is pretty close to as it starts and with more "press this button to activate neurons with big numbers". Weaving in your extra shots, tossing your wildfire on and going ham, building battery so your bot can hop out and do some combos before leaving with another big hit. I've got MCH to 90 and didn't feel I got much in the way of rotation changers, especially compared to night and day class differences like DRG pre and post 70.

I do like the MCH gameplay a lot other than I too want a little turret or robot buddy to beat up dudes with me 24/7. Nobody gets that anymore other than moral support Carbuncle, which boooo. Beastmaster when?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Yeah, might go back to Thaumaturge and get her up to BLM, I'm not sure the machinist rotation is working for me and I don't want that up to 90. I'm maining WAR/DRG at pretty much equal levels right now, and I think I need something that's not hit punch crash heavy.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Fair warning: BLM does get incrementally more complex with the level cap of each expansion, but it’s fun once you get the hang of the learning curve.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah I initially veered away from it because I heard it was complex and I wasn't sure about the first twenty levels or so, but at this point it sounds like a plus.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Played some Fox in the Forest over Thanksgiving and was inspired by the art.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
A big thing with BLM is learning when you can get away with finishing a cast and when you have to move. And then choosing to just eat the damage anyway (okay, not really). Swift and triple cast can help with when you have to move.

Oh, and being ready to glare balefully and pout at any healer that Rescues you out of danger and interrupts your cast, even if you know you would've died if they hadn't.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

BLM might be more complex mechanically but its also very slow-paced so it's not as hectic as some other classes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So I’ve gone and gotten myself invited to some FC mates’ in-game wedding. Any recommendations for guest suits? I’ve got the Shire caster set dyed all black as an option already, but I wanted to see other opinions on formal wear (…ideally without blowing Poetics, since I’m always making HW relics)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

So I’ve gone and gotten myself invited to some FC mates’ in-game wedding. Any recommendations for guest suits? I’ve got the Shire caster set dyed all black as an option already, but I wanted to see other opinions on formal wear (…ideally without blowing Poetics, since I’m always making HW relics)

bunny suit

...i'll let you decide exactly which bunny suit

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I have a glam that's meant to go for a more Secret Agent look, but it should make good formal wear as well. A scion adventurer's jacket, Leonhart pants and shoes, and I think Leonhart gloves as well. Dye everything the same shade of black. I'd have to look at the plate again to remember everything on it. I've got insomnia right now so i may go ahead and do that.

EDIT: Yep, I remembered the glam correctly, all dyed soot black. Also have a pair of shades spectacles I made myself, but those were expensive because some of the mats only drop from treasure maps I believe. You may be able to find a more formal pair of pants if you desire, as the Leonhart bottoms have some belts on one thigh.

IthilionTheBrave fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 30, 2022

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You should also probably ask the couple for the dress code because the last three weddings I went to were all "bring your silliest glams". :v:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
the nier stuff generally makes good formalwear. last wedding I did was in the darbar striking coat.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Some of the Skalla stuff is pretty nice for formal wear. I use the Aiming one for my formal Machinist glam.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Manderville outfit. If it's good enough for a Gentleman, it's good enough for anybody.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
There's also the Best Man's Jacket, Slacks and Gaiters, or the Bridesmaid's Dress, Tights and Sandals, or some combination thereof.

All of them are craftable, can be purchased off the marketboard, or bought from an in-game vendor in Ul'dah (Rianne in the Steps of Nald; the shop is across the street from the HQ of the Immortal Flames).

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Light steel subligar and galerus.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Khizan posted:

The Manderville outfit. If it's good enough for a Gentleman, it's good enough for anybody.
And so, for lack of a tailoring plan,
Become a manderville manderville manderville man

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Did someone say formal wear?!

(Frontier Jacket, Frontier Dress, Thavnairian Wool Autumn Dress, Thavnairian Bolero, Thavnairian Bustier)

(Wind Silk Coatee, High House Bustle, Replica Sky Pirate's Coat of Casting*, Falconer's Shirt, High House Justaucorps)

(Ao Dai, Taoist's Shirt, Dalmascan Draped Top, Summer Indigo Shirt, Southern Seas Shirt)

(Thavnairian Wool Autumn Shirt + Plain Long Skirt)

All of the above are equippable by any race/gender/job and are dyable. Most have cheaper non-dyable versions. Also would recommend any Neo-Ishgardian/Chondrite set, they're fancy as heck, but require at least level 80/88.

*Replica gear is also job-agnostic, they're based on role specific outfits, but have no stats and are equippable by anyone.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Turns out my local Kinokuniya stocked the artbooks so I picked up the first Stormblood one and the Endwalker one. These are beaut.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

(Thavnairian Wool Autumn Shirt + Plain Long Skirt)

The plain long skirt is one of the most versatile leg options and everyone should have one in their dresser. It's especially good for classic BLM robe glams.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Embarrassed to share my Spotify wrapped with my friends because Soken is my #1 artist

Which is crazy when you consider that doesn’t even account for all the EW soundtrack listening since that’s not on Spotify!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Badger of Basra posted:

Embarrassed to share my Spotify wrapped with my friends because Soken is my #1 artist

Which is crazy when you consider that doesn’t even account for all the EW soundtrack listening since that’s not on Spotify!

If it makes you feel any better my top song was Ace Combat and my artist list contained both Weird Al and Stevie Wonder.

I'm a melting pot of wtf, your wrapped is fine.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Soken is my #1 too, because this is the year I got real deep into FFXIV and discovered just how amazing his music is.

eScape was my #1 song too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Answers made my top 20! The game version and the one from the Distant Worlds III cd