Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

terrorist ambulance posted:

Doesn't the 4090 have a non zero chance of starting a fire in your computer

It's specifically the power source adapter plug made by some of the vendors that is causing fires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Is the game worth buying or is it getter to wait?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

infraboy posted:

It's a good fun game but if i'm honest it's probably better to wait for a sale and get it for like £20 due to the current technical issues.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Depends on your tolerance for bugs and crashes, it's probably going to have them for awhile. I spent about 40 hours in the beta and had a good time, 500 in vermintide 2 and it's one of my favorite games ever. I think most people will have fun with it but there was a guy ITT who vocally hated it and only posted about hating it so you have the potential to hate it too.

Orv
May 4, 2011

infraboy posted:

Game owns. Game is also a mess both technically and on some design pain points. If you wanna swing for it I'd recommend Steam for the ability to refund in case it's a crashy nightmare for you but otherwise I'd wait a bit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Alternatively if you already happen to have gamepass it'll be on there.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I'd wait a day at least if you're on the fence, I think they're really hustling to get today's big patch out so release might be messy

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

infraboy posted:

It'll be on pc and xbox gamepass in a few hours, I'd play it there.

Fatshark eventually makes amazing games but both vermintides had extremely rough launches and I don't expect this to be any different. Easy to forgive for the price of a gamepass sub, not as much for $40.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

infraboy posted:

How much do you want to play some 40k co-op shooter as a guardsmen?

If that's your jam, get it. If you're "meh" on the idea, wait

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

wiegieman posted:

It's specifically the power source adapter plug made by some of the vendors that is causing fires.

Nope, that got disproven.

The issue is people not inserting the plug far enough. This causes a lovely connection that leads the connector to overheat.

That part is user error, but this is exacerbated by:

1) plug design that doesn't have a very clear indicator that it's all the way in and latched

2) the size of these cards forcing some people to really bend on the cables and tug on them for routing.

Basically a lot of the cases probably had marginal engagement that looked OK but which got straight up bad when they crammed cabling around to get the side to fit on their case.

Gamers Nexus did a pretty big series of videos on it, including sending some burned up cables off to a forensic lab for some really detailed failure analysis, and were able to replicate the issue in a controlled environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig2px7ofKhQ

NVidia is, of course, going :smug: "Yep we told you it was user error" but at least a portion of the blame has to do with what I would argue is frankly lovely connector design. The whole thing could probably be prevented by putting in a ten cent physical latch that goes over the connector to give both a visual and audible indication that it's in properly.

The other thing they're talking about is using the sense pins on the new connector to indicate when it's not in all the way, probably by just not letting the card boot. If that's even in the cards I have no idea why it wasn't shipped that way.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I played in that first beta and i’m generally a big 40k fan and played some Vermintide but it ran like absolute crap on my 3080 and only played a couple of rounds.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

gently caress buying Nvidia's overpriced poo poo, AMD is the far better option at this current point in time especially with the 7000 series eventually coming out and hopefully leading to price drops on the already reasonably priced 60xx line.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

On the 3080 I just installed, the power cables literally press against the glass case. Is the width of the 4090 less? Lemme check some specs

Estel
May 4, 2010
If you have gamepass or want to try any other games on it get it and play it there but if you like it and are going to continue playing buy it on Steam because crossplay is a big "maybe in the future" so probably won't be crossplay betwen steam and gamepass ever and the people that will keep the game alive are going to be on steam.

infraboy posted:

I played in that first beta and i’m generally a big 40k fan and played some Vermintide but it ran like absolute crap on my 3080 and only played a couple of rounds.

This game is really cpu-intensive, I have a 3080 and have had no problems playing it a 4k but I have a i9-10900k.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

BrotherJayne posted:

On the 3080 I just installed, the power cables literally press against the glass case. Is the width of the 4090 less? Lemme check some specs

Depends on who is building the card. Different manufacturing partners use different coolers, shrouds, etc. so the cards can vary wildly in size. A lot of that ends up boiling down to if they're chasing the OC market and want really beefy cooling and fins.

But in general lol no the 4090 is not smaller than a 3080. It's a chonker.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Estel posted:

This game is really cpu-intensive, I have a 3080 and have had no problems playing it a 4k but I have a i9-10900k.

Wow, just noticed 44% gpu utilization on the launcher

Huh.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

*sigh* come the gently caress oooooon fatshark.

I'm tired of talking to these nerds about video cards and want to get back to discussing techniques for applying chainswords to heresy.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm tired of talking to these nerds about video cards and want to get back to discussing techniques for applying chainswords to heresy.

Well, I for one treasured my chance to chat with you before the metal met the flesh once more o7

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
For folks who played the game in the pre-order window:

Is there a toggle to see party member account names rather than the character names?

It was sort of jarring playing the closed beta with my buddies and remembering that the Psyker was Goon A, the Orgryn was Goon B, etc. because it displayed all of our character names we hit the random generator button for.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not saying to take the conversation there or anything, just wanted to share that we have a GPU thread in SH/SC if that's your jam.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3484126

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Depends on who is building the card. Different manufacturing partners use different coolers, shrouds, etc. so the cards can vary wildly in size. A lot of that ends up boiling down to if they're chasing the OC market and want really beefy cooling and fins.

But in general lol no the 4090 is not smaller than a 3080. It's a chonker.

calling it a chonker is an understatement. It's stupidly big

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Gamepass is great to try it out but without crossplay it will be dead after a few months as the main community will definitely be on steam.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Is it just me, or did something change towards the end of the beta that made the character height slider apply during deployments?

Orv
May 4, 2011

BrotherJayne posted:

Is it just me, or did something change towards the end of the beta that made the character height slider apply during deployments?

Cosmetically it does, hit boxes are standardized.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Anti-Hero posted:

Is there a toggle to see party member account names rather than the character names?

It was sort of jarring playing the closed beta with my buddies and remembering that the Psyker was Goon A, the Orgryn was Goon B, etc. because it displayed all of our character names we hit the random generator button for.

No, not as far as I'm aware.

Also smh at hitting random for the name, I never would have a chance to come up with Evil-Oniyn for my Ogryn which just works on so many levels. Or layers. Heh.

edit:

Orv posted:

Has this been confirmed officially somewhere? Because anecdotally I have absolutely gotten away with hiding behind some shorter pieces of cover as my shorty Vet, and can head glitch some taller pieces of cover as my tallboy Ogryn. Especially noticeable since I can fire through the cover even though my gun is stuck in it, and snipers trying to fire back only hit the cover piece I'm in since they aim for center mass.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 30, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Anti-Hero posted:

Speaking of this, boy I wish they had a PTT indicator for who's speaking in the ingame voice chat because I certainly couldn't see one.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

Gamepass is great to try it out but without crossplay it will be dead after a few months as the main community will definitely be on steam.

Why the gently caress isn't there crossplay? That seems nuts to me.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Deep rock doesn't have it either, something about the difficulty of crossplay inherent to the gamepass platform.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

Has this been confirmed officially somewhere? Because anecdotally I have absolutely gotten away with hiding behind some shorter pieces of cover as my shorty Vet, and can head glitch some taller pieces of cover as my tallboy Ogryn. Especially noticeable since I can fire through the cover even though my gun is stuck in it, and snipers trying to fire back only hit the cover piece I'm in since they aim for center mass.

Your view height definitely effects things like shooting over stuff but my last understanding of official word that being hit is standardized. That may have changed since the closed beta.

E: Fatshark going live on twitch.tv/fatsharkgames in a couple minutes here.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

fatshark twitch doing something in a minute

https://twitch.tv/fatsharkgames

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

infraboy posted:

If you can run it comfortably (which you should be able to tell in the 2 hour refund window or just use gamepass if you have it) I think it’s worth buying.

I’m extremely critical of fatshark after their approach to vermintide 2 involved consistently making the worst choice at every fork in the road combined with comically bad quality control. Along with a very negative impression coming from the previous beta, I had very sour expectations about darktide and only preordered for the beta because you can refund at any amount of time played before release, so I used that opportunity to see if my new GPU/any improvements to the game made it feel better.

I have been completely won over and am :stoked: to play more of this game now. Yes, there are numerous issues that make me suspicious of how the experience will play out on higher difficulties, but as a game to chill out and carve up monsters with your friends on medium difficulty, darktide feels absolutely great. I will definitely get more than my $40 worth out of it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The random name generator gave me Thuddo in the beta and I decided to roll with that because it's pretty much the perfect Ogryn name imo.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Orv posted:

Is the PoV adjusted, though?

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Speaking of this, boy I wish they had a PTT indicator for who's speaking in the ingame voice chat because I certainly couldn't see one.

I'm pretty sure there's a little speaker icon that pops up next to their name in the bottom left whenever someone says something over the in-game voice chat.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Crossplay is really hard for devs to implement. It's not something Microsoft, Sony, Steam, etc., are chomping at the bit to make easy. Usually, they go out of their way to make it impossible.

Orv
May 4, 2011

BrotherJayne posted:

Is the PoV adjusted, though?

It is yeah.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cyrano4747 posted:

IIRC, Valve and Microsoft uses their own networking frameworks (Steam vs XBOX live, I think), and unless devs make their own from scratch they can't really do crossplay between them.

Edit: I think I remember a post from the DRG devs about this

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 30, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Internet Explorer posted:

Crossplay is really hard for devs to implement. It's not something Microsoft, Sony, Steam, etc., are chomping at the bit to make easy. Usually, they go out of their way to make it impossible.

It's pretty crazy considering even like 5 years ago or so it was a virtual impossibility.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

twitch stream is mostly fluff but theyve confirmed the zealot beta tester helmet is a helmet. (earlier previews only showed 3 helmets)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Flavahbeast posted:

twitch stream is mostly fluff but theyve confirmed the zealot beta tester helmet is a helmet. (earlier previews only showed 3 helmets)

These are totally separate from the legendary or whatever edition?

Psyker will look odd with a helmet.