Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Nordick posted:

A simple way to do this would be to give surtling cores a use beyond the fixed amount you need to build smelters and stuff. Like, they could be turned into some kinda super fuel for smelters and blast furnaces that makes them work faster, or something like that.
Even then it is easier to kill some respawning surtlings in the swamp. Perhaps ghosts could drop something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I think they're probably going to have to revisit the fishing mechanic in particular. It doesn't make any sense the way it is currently constructed. The resources that are required to make the special bait are in some cases among the most difficult and obscure resources to get in the entire game and there basically isn't any reward.

Only one new fish is used in a recipe and the recipe isn't really practical. It's a nominal upgrade over existing stamina foods but It's not significantly better than the other stuff and the other stuff is way way way easier to get. Meanwhile the existing top tier recipe that uses fish meat is pretty much made obsolete by much easier and better recipes. I will probably make a few of the new stamina recipe just for fighting the new boss but I don't really see myself ever using it otherwise.

At this point the other fish are basically just wall decorations. They either need to make them a component in potions or food or find some other mechanic. My guess is for the next major expansion there's going to be a higher tier of food that a bunch of them are required for.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Eifert Posting posted:

I think they're probably going to have to revisit the fishing mechanic in particular. It doesn't make any sense the way it is currently constructed. The resources that are required to make the special bait are in some cases among the most difficult and obscure resources to get in the entire game and there basically isn't any reward.

It's giving me flashbacks to Elite: Dangerous where the grind is the content. However, I'd guess that the fish will have more meaning whenever they get around to an ocean biome update in a year or two.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Every game feeling the need to wedge in a fishing mechanic is a loving scourge.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Eric the Mauve posted:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Eric the Mauve posted:

agreed, and this one is one of the harder to get a hang of, and offers marginal rewards.

as an opposite thing though since i love cognitive dissonance, fishing in games with great atmosphere can be great. RDR2 for instance nails it. this gets it close but its not really worth finding a nice fishing spot when mobs will likely be attacking you all the time. Another reason I'd love some kind of larger mob suppression mechanic, even if only within X meters of the world spawn.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I had a tuna jump onto my karve as I was headed to the elder. It was stuck for a bit but I couldn't pick it up or hit it at all. Bummer

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Molybdenum posted:

I had a tuna jump onto my karve as I was headed to the elder. It was stuck for a bit but I couldn't pick it up or hit it at all. Bummer

This is a known bug that they are actively working to fix.

It's basically the only bug that I've run into from this update which is particularly impressive. Kind of gives me the impression that they could open up public testing a lot sooner if they wanted to and they see it more as a hype thing than a bug identification thing.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Molybdenum posted:

Yeah that's a known bug with the public beta. Some people have taken to pushing their beached fish towards their bases so they don't despawn. I hope it works out for them.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There was an update to the test patch that included yule decoration poo poo and, I don't know if this is a bug or a coincidence or a balance update or what - Right after I downloaded it I ran into a one-star seeker.

No big deal I've killed a million of these I'll just squish it and move on.

Except every time it hit me it gave me like 5 m of knock back and stunned me even if I was parrying or blocking. This kills me and sets me off on a failure Cascade where I must have died like 13 times and used up half of my good food.

I really hope this was just a bug and isn't how they actually intend those critters to perform, because the way it was it was literally impossible for a melee build to kill him. I eventually sent one of my dudes naked into the mists to lure the little fucker away from all of my tombstones with gear going all the way back to swamp level stuff from my various failed attempts. On my last attempt I had decided that I was just going to go ahead and uninstall the game if I died again.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Eric the Mauve posted:

This all the way. If fish are supposed to do anything in your game then give me a buildable fish trap or gill net so I go do fun things while I fish.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

This all the way. If fish are supposed to do anything in your game then give me a buildable fish trap or gill net so I go do fun things while I fish.

Well if that's how you feel about fishing in this game good news. The new iteration of fishing feels basically completely disconnected from the meaningful parts of the game.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

PittTheElder posted:

We have boats, I want to have fishing as an entire profession. Build net booms, bolt them to the boat, load up some nets, drop them over the side and sail around for a while. Turn the capstain to reel in your catch, get a bunch of random fish you need to process via a head/gut, tail minigame. Break your knife and have your entire catch spoil because you can't repair it. You know, the good stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Eifert Posting posted:

Well if that's how you feel about fishing in this game good news. The new iteration of fishing feels basically completely disconnected from the meaningful parts of the game.

How's the new fishing? I actually love fishing in games, and have been looking forward to valheim's fishing being improved.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

pik_d posted:

I haven't jumped on the mistlands open testing yet but I will soon, in the meantime I had to finish my plains base. I had done most of it except the moat/entrances a while back but lost interest since it was my 2nd playthrough and I had burned through all the new stuff back then.

Aerial overview:

Downstairs, storage, cooking, and crafting is all here:

Upstairs, bed/tub, portal room, and trophy/gear showcase, will probably stuff the mistlands crafting tables up here too:

Closeup of the walls/outside area, I have workbenches stuffed in the wall to stop spawning without looking horrible:

Just want to say I really like bases like this, looks good and very functional for the area it's in.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
90% of games yeah, fishing is shoe horned in and sucks. Fishing in Valheim just kinda sucks but it doesn't feel very artificial. Half the map is oceans and building a boat is a big deal and ocean culture is kind of a thing with Vikings and all.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I played New World for a bit. The fishing in that game felt rewarding and fun. The rest of the game not so much. Fishing in valheim is not intuitive or fun.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I shall continue to press F (it might be H, don't @ me) to have fish leap out of the sea and into my inventory

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Install the here fishy mod.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Some students of a friend of mine are doing a Valheim user survey for their game design studies, if you have a moment, filling it out would be appreciated.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Hunting sea serpents is the real fishing in Valheim.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Osmosisch posted:

Some students of a friend of mine are doing a Valheim user survey for their game design studies, if you have a moment, filling it out would be appreciated.

Gave it a response, thanks for sharing

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
You sir, are a fish.

Yeah I like rdr2 fishing. Didn't care for links awakening, Stardew valley nor corekeeper fishing. Valheim fishing felt very tedious but I haven't gotten to the new fishing yet. I did enjoy picking up fish from the beach after a storm.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Filling out that survey made me realize how much I want a first person mode.

Edit: oh hey if you find the new crafting station damaging poo poo around it as annoying as I do it doesn't hurt iron material so you can actually build a cage around it. It looks pretty neat too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Osmosisch posted:

I did it to better the community!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

It's a little janky, but there's a mod for that.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Eifert Posting posted:

Edit: oh hey if you find the new crafting station damaging poo poo around it as annoying as I do it doesn't hurt iron material so you can actually build a cage around it. It looks pretty neat too.

I don't have the new crafting station yet but what the gently caress??

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah it made me realize how little time I spend exploring and how much time you spend grinding ore and schlepping poo poo around. The game needs some much needed modern QoL improvements baked into the vanilla experience.

Exploration is also meaningless insofar that every biome of the same type is the same anywhere, and enemies don't scale with distance from world origin. It would be great if something as simple as "enemies drop 2,3,4, or 5 times the loot the farther you are from world origin" were implemented. Do the same with forests (trees drop more wood). Give me systems to reduce grind so I can spend more time doing fun poo poo, like exploring, or building.

The Epic Loot mod is wonderful. Gives you random loot (reduces grind) and let's you try new weapons without worrying about wasting ingots (since recycling doesn't exist for some reason). It gives you a reason to kill bosses repeatedly as well.

I want a way to customize my boat so I can do poo poo like sail faster, or slightly closer to wind, or whatever. Give me more interesting choices dammit.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Eifert Posting posted:

Oh hey look it's time for me to rave about how insanely good Valheim VR is. Hope they get the mistlands additions figured out before official release.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Trivia posted:

Yeah it made me realize how little time I spend exploring and how much time you spend grinding ore and schlepping poo poo around. The game needs some much needed modern QoL improvements baked into the vanilla experience.

Exploration is also meaningless insofar that every biome of the same type is the same anywhere, and enemies don't scale with distance from world origin. It would be great if something as simple as "enemies drop 2,3,4, or 5 times the loot the farther you are from world origin" were implemented. Do the same with forests (trees drop more wood). Give me systems to reduce grind so I can spend more time doing fun poo poo, like exploring, or building.

The Epic Loot mod is wonderful. Gives you random loot (reduces grind) and let's you try new weapons without worrying about wasting ingots (since recycling doesn't exist for some reason). It gives you a reason to kill bosses repeatedly as well.

I want a way to customize my boat so I can do poo poo like sail faster, or slightly closer to wind, or whatever. Give me more interesting choices dammit.

Yeah this is more or less what killed my most recent run. Emptied the first swamp I came to having built a really nice castle, but didn't get far enough to actually finish all the gear I was lookignf or , couldn't be bothered setting up properly near to another one, or doing the sailing and trudging and hoeing and so forth to get through bonemass, just gave up.

Loot and scaling mobs would make a huge difference, as would it taking a lot less grinding to just get materials.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I play games largely to relax so I like the resource gathering, particularly in environments that aren't particularly threatening.

This is a game in general that I feel like would benefit from an in-system difficulty scaling system. Most of the core complaints people have could be fixed with a slider.

Well I'm on that subject I would kill for a toggle that lets me choose to not automatically pick up certain items. I'm looking at you skeleton bones.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You should definitely pick up absolutely everything, because after some update three years from now you're suddenly going to wish you had two chests full of skeletal remains

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Bone-tipped arrows!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone for the responses! I took a break after a couple hundred hours and filling it out myself made me realise how incredibly hype i am to get back in once the mistlands are out.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

You should definitely pick up absolutely everything, because after some update three years from now you're suddenly going to wish you had two chests full of skeletal remains

If there's three items I'm extremely confident that won't happen for it's resin leather scraps and bones. I am glad I made a random black metal chest in my house to store trophies in though.

Oh, also skito needles.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 2, 2022

Qubee
May 31, 2013

This is one of those games where I really don't know whether I should wait for release or play now. I played a bunch during launch, but I only completed the 2nd boss. I haven't touched the game since then and have been holding off and telling myself I'll play it at launch. But for some reason, the devs move at a glacial pace and updates come out sporadically (Mistlands came out almost two years after launch, I don't know what other meaningful updates there have been).

I really loved the time I played Valheim, the atmosphere, the fighting, the coop. But I don't want to burn myself out on it and rob myself of future fun. Also, since we're on the topic of meaningless grind, I absolutely hated how awful it was playing with friends and all of us needing to spend hours just to grind materials so we were all at the same level. It basically turned the game from a fun coop into a "alright I might as well go off on my own since we're all competing for the same mats" vibe.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Most of the typical problems people have with this game can be fixed with mods - specifically valheim plus. Don't like gathering? Crank up the materials per node. Hate inventory limits? Increase stack and container sizes. Teleporting metals? Get rid of the limitation. While there's something to be said about successfully hauling a pile of silver down a mountain and over the ocean back home, it also loses its magic after multiple voyages (same with the hundreds of iron you need from crypts).

I love building, but the pain of moving work benches/stonecutters around and carrying/farming the shitloads of resources needed makes it too much of a hassle. Instead I just build freely with creative mode up to my current tech level.

If you're just playing with buddies or solo just do what's fun!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I will say they have run out of biomes that aren't in a really obvious part of the map. If you want to avoid discovering places that will lock them out from spawning unique content when the newest patch drops you basically just have to stay out of the bottom and top 15% of the global map.

It takes a long time to get to the point where you are capable of challenging the mistland biome, let alone whatever is coming next. I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea to jump in now.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Eifert Posting posted:

I will say they have run out of biomes that aren't in a really obvious part of the map. If you want to avoid discovering places that will lock them out from spawning unique content when the newest patch drops you basically just have to stay out of the bottom and top 15% of the global map.

It takes a long time to get to the point where you are capable of challenging the mistland biome, let alone whatever is coming next. I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea to jump in now.

I recall seeing somewhere that the original plan was for 9 or 10 biomes in the “final” iteration, with Mistlands, Ocean, and the poles each being one that was placeholder at the initial release. How many stones are in the ritual circle right now, aren’t there like 3 empty ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of hoping they don't do anything too sophisticated with the oceans.