Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Christ why are MIDI merge/thru boxes so expensive? Think I should be set after this order at least, all this pain because the drat Electribe and Beatstep Pro both don't do MIDI thru. Should be able to control everything from one spot once these boxes get here, with room in the routing to add in a Squarp Pyramid down the line since it looks to me to be a real successor to the RM1x sequencer. Individual MIDI outs too so I can shunt the Electribe to it's own port and use all the sample channels that way.

why pyramid vs hapax in 2022? Just price?

e: I guess if you don't need a bunch of CV i/o, the hapax is less attractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Yeah pretty much, though the Hapax also looks pretty enticing, not married to either option just yet.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ho drat, are the cool controller / sequencers pricey?
Try finding a NDLR for sale? $ouch when they pop up on reverb. And that Misha dealie looks cool, but again, big dent.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

sq-64 is back in stock for $129 on reverb, idk if thats cool enough for you but its cheap for sure

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

It seems like a very capable, but sort of standard sequencer, yeah?

I was thinking more oddball, different takes on it.
Also, quite tempted by that sale. Although I know I already have more than enough gear, and I've already gone on a shopping tear this year. The weirdo stuff just interests me, and the high sticker is probably a good thing, putting them out of consideration.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

If you don't need polyphony, Beatstep Pros are quite solid and all day on reverb for significantly less than retail.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

its ok I want a ndlr too

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Tayter Swift posted:

pumped pads sidechained to the kick

I think the OP's question was more about artifacting or other quality loss, like how tape hiss or vinyl crackle (or film grain or video smearing) have become things to emulate. It's a tough one, I was thinking about it and I don't really have an answer.

If we are talking about hallmark production techniques though, yeah absolutely kick sidechaining is up there. I'd say OTT compression and NI Massive were enormous gamechangers too.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

hmm maybe low res bluetooth streaming fidelity? but its a hard question because new records can be cut and can be streamed lossless-ly straight from the studio to your home now, theres not a lo fi aesthetic that people are trying to get away from like they were moving from cassettes to CDs for example

maybe virtual analog stuff could be next. the an1x and gaia sh type synths. early digital reverbs like the midiverb. stuff like that. still hard to distinguish or make into a sound palette

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 29, 2022

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I have one sq-64 that i exclusively use for modular (love all the cv and gate outs). I got a 2nd one to drive 2 polysynths and a TD-3-MO (don't like using the regular 303 sequencer and i can sequence the filter cv with the mod lane) when I dont feel like using a daw. Definitely isn't the greatest sequencer ever made (inputting notes without an external controller kinda sucks, the main grid buttons dont give much feedback) but it fits nicely in my set up and the price is really good

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I have a rene v2 on preorder and I am going to hold off on a hapax for a while. If I end up in a more midi-based workflow, will revisit.

Tempi is super fun and I legitimately want 1-2 more of them. Just having one as a dedicated drum clock seems fine to me, Tempi -> QD is nearly Electribe MKII preset-knob-twist levels of variation, but with a lot more instant control over what you're doing and how it sounds. 6 outs, can use Plaits or mother 32 as another set and really have a deep percussive machine.

My wife put a drum set in the barn. I don't want to lug my nice synths up there but I don't mind sticking a midi keyboard on sawhorses with an ipad and I don't mind paying for an ipad synth. What's my best bet for something on iOS or android with very easy programming of midi params from hardware, possibly a wavetable or FM synth but not necessarily, and I guess I'd like a built in arpeggiator of some complexity ideally. 6+ voice poly. ??

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I have a rene v2 on preorder and I am going to hold off on a hapax for a while. If I end up in a more midi-based workflow, will revisit.

Tempi is super fun and I legitimately want 1-2 more of them. Just having one as a dedicated drum clock seems fine to me, Tempi -> QD is nearly Electribe MKII preset-knob-twist levels of variation, but with a lot more instant control over what you're doing and how it sounds. 6 outs, can use Plaits or mother 32 as another set and really have a deep percussive machine.

My wife put a drum set in the barn. I don't want to lug my nice synths up there but I don't mind sticking a midi keyboard on sawhorses with an ipad and I don't mind paying for an ipad synth. What's my best bet for something on iOS or android with very easy programming of midi params from hardware, possibly a wavetable or FM synth but not necessarily, and I guess I'd like a built in arpeggiator of some complexity ideally. 6+ voice poly. ??

iWavestation?

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Trap beat with bass overdriven so it sounds like it's coming from a car trunk subwoofer

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I wish Thor on iOS was still a thing, it was one of the best and I totally missed the boat on it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AudioKit SynthOne is a pretty deep synth for ios that happens to be free. It has midi learn. Not sure how good the arpeggiator is, it has one but I guess I've never used it. Polyphony is limited by your device's CPU power.

At the very least give it a download to try your setup out while researching for the perfect ios synth.

edit - also synthmaster 2 is a pretty nuts kitchen sink synth. it has too many knobs and options but it can also do just about anything

xzzy fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 30, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Sweet Jeebus this is terrifying https://youtube.com/shorts/WOZSVFri4PA?feature=share

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I actually looked for something like that for the reagan contest but couldn't find anything.. guess I suck at google.

I think it's hilarious and want to try it sometime.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This all happened at Sears!

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

CatBlack posted:

The SQ-64 deal is back and now i own 2 lol

What's up, SQ-64 orderin' buddy? I just ordered one on a Black Friday sale too. Now I'll be able to sequence all my hardware synths at once...

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I am looking to make a bunch of clocked -/+ 5V random cv to send to a Mito. Its usually paired with a Deviant, which is far too expensive. It seems a Transient Modules 4R, or DivKid RND STEP are far more affordable, and smaller modules. However, both hard to find. Any ideas?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

magiccarpet posted:

I am looking to make a bunch of clocked -/+ 5V random cv to send to a Mito. Its usually paired with a Deviant, which is far too expensive. It seems a Transient Modules 4R, or DivKid RND STEP are far more affordable, and smaller modules. However, both hard to find. Any ideas?

I have a Zlobz Chaos Diode which I enjoy and it does have a clock input but it's fundamentally a weird module that may not meet your need that well, and it's also not that much chaper than Deviant ($90 vs $140?)

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

magiccarpet posted:

ornament and crime

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
sq64 had 3 modulation outputs that can be set to randomized ranges. not very small and not a module though. also not its primary function so you have to set that up as a pattern.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Snow day today.
Here's a sad little dawless jam I made from bed. https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/slow-jam

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m playing Signalis and the title screen really makes me wanna figure out how to get that 60s-era scratchy/fuzzy sound on some triangles. I don’t actually know what makes it sound like that, other than an unstable and slightly off pitch tuning. Is this a known thing people try to emulate? Outside of “analog warm lol” I mean.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Any number of VSTs will get you there, such as XLN's RC-20. In the hardware world, maybe one of the Chase Bliss pedals or ZVEX's Instant Lo-Fi Junkie which is both a pedal and Eurorack module.

edit: as far as ppl trying to get that sound, yeah just stick a cartoon of a raccoon or a girl and a cat and you've got lo-fi hip-hop

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 1, 2022

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

JamesKPolk posted:

ornament and crime

This would be my choice too but the range is only -3v on the negative side if that’s important.

Pam’s New/Pro Workout is a great but expensive option.

A somewhat cheaper option is to get Doepfer dual S&H modules and then use whatever noise, audio or rapid LFOs you happen to have as inputs. Should be random enough. If you don’t have many spare audio sources you can even mult the oscillators you use in the patch. It’s good to keep in mind that these Doepfers are not the best for holding 1v/oct signals due to voltage drop which limits their versatility.

Personally I’d either go for the Pam’s if I could afford it or wait for a new batch of rnd step. You could ask the manufacturer when it might be expected.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

magiccarpet posted:

Erica Synthés Pico RND has a clocked S&H, gates of random length, random gates, a sine and a noise output in 3hp. Also you can divide/mult the frequency

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Erica Synthés Pico RND has a clocked S&H, gates of random length, random gates, a sine and a noise output in 3hp. Also you can divide/mult the frequency

Seconding this one! You may also be tempted by the 2hp equivalent, but be aware that that one is unipolar and you'll need to add a negative voltage offset.

Been struggling with a very similar issue with the Noise Engineering Turing Machine equivalent, and would otherwise recommend that one but for the whole 'unipolar' thing.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

Any number of VSTs will get you there, such as XLN's RC-20. In the hardware world, maybe one of the Chase Bliss pedals or ZVEX's Instant Lo-Fi Junkie which is both a pedal and Eurorack module.

I have a bunch of these sorts of plugs. RC-20 is the most versatile, but some of the other options do specific things better. I'm really fond of Arturia's Tape Mello-fi, Izotope Vinyl, and the new Audiothing/Hainbach collab plugin Wires. Actually a whole bunch of Audiothing's plugin line is devoted to various ways of doing lo-fi, and they're all pretty good.

e: Holy poo poo Wires is two years old. My sense of time has been completely destroyed by covid. It's based on this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3dMIOcXCd0

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 1, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Here's my user guide for Audition. Note there is no revision number.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Synth cat eating my phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAzg8FGxyng

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Oh what, there's no way to disable sequence transposition on the Beatstep Pro? If that's really the case that's whack as hell, going to make it a lot trickier to incorporate in my setup. I'll faff about with the Midi Control software, hopefully there's a toggle for it somewhere in there.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

holy poo poo, does anyone have a Daisy? I have been mucking with lots of generative AI stuff and, uh, this is worth crossposting from the GBS AI thread. Like, holy gently caress! I figured poo poo like this was coming, but at least a couple years off, not, "I can just have a computer program my daisy to a spec now"

jesus

https://www.reddit.com/r/modular/comments/zbi60r/huge_modular_potential_with_release_of_chat_gpt/

quote:

So was messing around with this new AI people have been talking about chat.openai.com and I'm absolutely blown away by the possibilities!

I prompted the AI to write me a daisy dsp program that was a switchable oscillator core between triangle and square with control over PWM, a low pass filter, and wave folder. It freaking did it and spit out real C++. I can only imagine how far people can take this!

Prompt:

"Can you write a daisy dsp program that has a switchable oscillator core between triangle and square with control over PWM, a resonant low pass filter, and wave folder on the output"

Response:

Sure, I can write a program that uses a switchable oscillator core between triangle and square with control over PWM, a resonant low pass filter, and a wave folder on the output. Here is an example of such a program:
```
include "daisysp.h"
include "daisy_patch.h"
using namespace daisysp; using namespace daisy;

DaisyPatch patch; Oscillator osc;

// Set the oscillator waveform type enum WaveForm { TRIANGLE, SQUARE }; WaveForm waveform;

void AudioCallback(float *in, float *out, size_t size) { // switch between triangle and square waveform if(waveform == TRIANGLE) { osc.SetWaveform(Oscillator::WAVE_TRI); } else if(waveform == SQUARE) { osc.SetWaveform(Oscillator::WAVE_SQUARE); }

// Set the oscillator pulse width
osc.SetPulseWidth(0.5f);

// Set the oscillator frequency
osc.SetFreq(440.0f);

// Set the oscillator amplitude
osc.SetAmp(0.5f);

// Set the oscillator phase
osc.SetPhase(0.0f);

// Process the audio
for(size_t i = 0; i < size; i += 2)
{
// Generate the next sample
float s = osc.Process();

// Apply the low pass filter
s = patch.lp_filter.Process(s);

// Fold the waveform
s = patch.fold.Process(s);

// Apply the gain
s *= 0.5f;

// Write the audio to the output buffer
out[i] = out[i + 1] = s;
}
}

int main(void) { // Initialize the daisy patch patch.Init();

// Initialize the oscillator
osc.Init(patch.GetSampleRate());

// Set the waveform to triangle
waveform = TRIANGLE;

// Set the filter cutoff frequency
patch.lp_filter.SetCutoff(1000.0f);

// Set the filter resonance
patch.lp_filter.SetRes(0.8f);

// Set the wavefolder shape
patch.fold.SetFold(1.0f);

// Start the audio processing
patch.StartAudio(AudioCallback);

while(1) {}
} ```

In this program, the oscillator core can be switched between a triangle and a square waveform by setting the waveform variable to either TRIANGLE or SQUARE. The pulse width of the oscillator can be controlled by calling the SetPulseWidth method of the osc object, and the oscillator frequency, amplitude, and phase can be set by calling the SetFreq, SetAmp, and SetPhase methods, respectively.

The output of the oscillator is passed through a low pass filter and a wavefolder before being sent to the audio output. The cutoff frequency and resonance of the low pass filter can be controlled
```
That's amazing, terrifying, and might finally push me over the edge of buying a loving Daisy because the learning curve appears to have just turned into ash.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Lol I see my coworker posting in that thread. I am going back to school to learn a trade this year because I don’t want to code any more. But I also see poo poo like this and wonder how much they are going to need handwritten api integrations in the future any way

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I've been trying to find a daisy pod for sale and the only ones I can find right now are second hand. I'm worried about them going away like the axoloti did :ohdear:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I hazily recall a podcast chat with the founders of noise engineering from a while ago, and they mentioned moving away from using daisy boards because of limitations in what it could do, as well as supply constraints. I think that was before covid too.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

snorch posted:

I've been trying to find a daisy pod for sale and the only ones I can find right now are second hand. I'm worried about them going away like the axoloti did :ohdear:

https://patchwerks.com/products/electro-smith-daisy-patch-diy-synth-module

Can't find Pod anywhere, Patches are out there, and given the increased interest from that thread, I am thinking of doing this even though I don't have the money and won't until February :raise:

A MIRACLE posted:

Lol I see my coworker posting in that thread. I am going back to school to learn a trade this year because I don’t want to code any more. But I also see poo poo like this and wonder how much they are going to need handwritten api integrations in the future any way

At this point, assuming the tech gets 3x as good as it is now in 12 months, it's going to do weird things because this can generate fine scaffold code, can generate working app code in some cases, but at this time still needs a domain expert to review the code and look for silliness or perf optimizations. Beyond that, I find that most of the difficulty in creating functional large-scale apps comes from the work of having to figure out what you want the system to do, what its parts are, and how they interact. All of that architecture will eventually be something that can likewise be spit out and validated.

Over time this will reduce the number of humans needed to solve a given software problem. Flipside, I want to stay in this industry for another 8.5 years, and my philosophy has always been "if you see robots encroaching on your work, try to become the person who controls or maintains the robots", so I am absolutely keeping abreast of this stuff and will be experimenting to see to what extent I can speed up my own development by letting an AI handle some of the more rote, obvious things.

Just spitting out a functional API from a specification is something we could already do.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 3, 2022

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Apparently the STM32H7 chips that are very popular in a lot of audio applications are in short supply right now. I believe this is what's slowing down the Behringer Soul/Spirit/Bolca release as well.

Not sure what they mean about technical limitations though, those are super capable SoCs with DSP power comparable to a Pentium 3 or about 8x that of the Motorola 56k line. You'd have to have a very demanding (or unoptimized) application to need more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

snorch posted:

Apparently the STM32H7 chips that are very popular in a lot of audio applications are in short supply right now. I believe this is what's slowing down the Behringer Soul/Spirit/Bolca release as well.

Not sure what they mean about technical limitations though, those are super capable SoCs with DSP power comparable to a Pentium 3 or about 8x that of the Motorola 56k line. You'd have to have a very demanding (or unoptimized) application to need more than that.

I read an article today about people starting to buy used mini-PCs because raspberry pis are loving impossible to get right now.

I just got an Nvidia Jetson Nano, no idea what I'm going to do with it, I wonder if I can do Music Things. Wonder if it can run VCV....