Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Neo Rasa posted:

This is verified in Last Jedi when during the second siege of Hoth we see how there's actually reddened dirt under the surface.

Ah, that is actually a different planet and that area of the planet is covered in salt.

Hoth is not Crait, no matter how much goons will try to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hoth isn’t Crait, that’s just silly.

Hoth is Starkiller Base.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

404notfound posted:

Maybe that's the secret to making good Star Wars—you have to be far enough removed from it that your mind isn't poisoned by all the established concepts and lore, and you can just focus on making some good-rear end television

Gilroy actually said that in an earlier interview. Everyone who comes to work on Star Wars has the idea that they need to "make Star Wars" and follow Lucas's style. Gilroy told them to forget about their nostalgia and just focus on making a good show without any baggage.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

There’s only 3 planets in the Star Wars galaxy, the desert one, the metal one, and the jungle one.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

LividLiquid posted:

The way I remembered it, it was an argument that began as "Jakku is just Tatooine on a thematic level" that spiraled out of control until people were arguing that Tatooine and Jakku were literally the same place, but nope. There it is, clear as day, starting with SMG saying just that.

Wow. That was awful to sit through the first time and I skipped most of it.

He’s right

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Glimpse posted:

There’s only 3 planets in the Star Wars galaxy, the desert one, the metal one, and the jungle one.

Also the snow/ice one, the cloud one, and the forest one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
*Licks planet*

SALT

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Cold desert, metal in the clouds, forest and jungle are the same thing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Neo Rasa posted:

Imagine if season 2 of Andor drops and it's loving incredible all around and then in the last scene right before Andor runs off to escape with/kill the informant at the start of Rogue One one of his buddies is like "we should quit while we're ahead and flee to Jakku no real imperial presence just moisture farmers and blue milk and the tuskens, we could probably pick up some work from Jabba the Hutt with our skills hanging around Mos Eisley."

If any show could pull off a character doing a Star Wars rap / We Didn't Start the Fire musical number it would be this show.

Neo Rasa posted:

This is verified in Last Jedi when during the second siege of Hoth we see how there's actually reddened dirt under the surface.

It's verified by learning in school that cold icy places can be deserts, too :smug:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lobok posted:

It's verified by learning in school that cold icy places can be deserts, too :smug:

Accepting that means accepting that way more Star Wars media takes place on Tatooine than we thought lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unfortunately the only other planet is Dantooine and that's just gonna confuse people

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm rusty on it since college, but I'm pretty sure Hoth has to be a desert. Once the global high temperature drops below freezing, there's no mechanism for water vapor to enter the atmosphere unless the planet is cold enough for ice to sublimate. Hoth doesn't seem to be cold enough for that. That cold is lethal in minutes and Han would have died getting the tent set up.

The blizzard conditions do not require precipitation either. Effectively, it is a dust storm, where the dust is merely solid water.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sash! posted:

I'm rusty on it since college, but I'm pretty sure Hoth has to be a desert. Once the global high temperature drops below freezing, there's no mechanism for water vapor to enter the atmosphere unless the planet is cold enough for ice to sublimate. Hoth doesn't seem to be cold enough for that. That cold is lethal in minutes and Han would have died getting the tent set up.

The blizzard conditions do not require precipitation either. Effectively, it is a dust storm, where the dust is merely solid water.

Okay yes but nobody's impressed when someone says "the biggest desert in the world.... is Antarctica :smug:"

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
This sounds much better than that nearly 50 year old cassette tape I've been listening to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As1Ec-72XOk

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/17Z22x5dHblBKkyvueAxqD?si=Tm997P7MQpGOwLW4qmp2xQ&t=2456&nd=1

LUNA: We were asked to and meant to be something different. You wouldn’t call Tony Gilroy if you didn’t want that, you know? Tony Gilroy is such, such a different writer. I can tell you that I have never felt that energy with anyone else.

You sit down in front of him, there is no answer that he can't give you. He thought of everything before sharing with you. It's quite impressive to see how much in control he is of the story. There is a point of view that we all share because he is a great collaborator. I can't stop talking about Tony Gilroy.

I like telling this story: He called me once like, 'This is what I have in my mind, but I'm not going to go write it until you tell me if you like it or not, and why.' And he - he told me the whole story of Season 1. And I was impressed by the amount of work he did, before he even put it on a piece of paper. And how open he was to the question, when he had something so great?!

Then we have the production designer [Luke Hull], for example. He [Gilroy] wants to write a scene. He first sits down with the production designer, tells him what scene he wants to write. He [Luke Hull] designs a place in front of Tony; they go back and forth, they end up designing the location where the scene is happening - and then he writes for that location. Therefore, it's already a collaboration, you know, before it's even written. You see what I mean? (laughs) He's not going to write 'And then he wakes up and opens a window.' He knows where the window is, what you would be seeing through that window. So the work of the production designer is needed for him to get to write a page. And he's already working for someone else, therefore the production designer already owns the material, in a way.

As an actor, I own it the moment he said to me, "Should I write this?"

So from the moment we have the script, we are a team. And we are there to defend every idea he had, because we are a part of those ideas. It's a big thing you know, not many people work that way. Not many people are willing to collaborate with that generosity in this business. And you can tell, the way people talk about our show, it's a team. We talk as though we are talking about the most personal thing. (laughs) And we are doing Star Wars! It sounds like we are here promoting our little Sundance movie we've been doing by selling our car and renting our apartment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's clear from reading any interview with Diego Luna about Andor is that he deeply cares about the show and is really enjoying his time on it. I know every actor talks like that during promotions but he's constantly gushing about the production, you can tell he's enraptured by the process.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

zoux posted:

It's clear from reading any interview with Diego Luna about Andor is that he deeply cares about the show and is really enjoying his time on it. I know every actor talks like that during promotions but he's constantly gushing about the production, you can tell he's enraptured by the process.

For sure, it’s nice to have a show where when it comes to the casting decisions I have zero notes for how they could have been improved. Also very glad only a handful of characters have plot immunity, so when Luthen is stopped by the cruiser we have zero guarantees of his survival. I still think they should have killed off Obi-Wan in attack of the clones and replaced him with a clone, why not.

What were your guesses about what they were building in the prison? At first I thought it was K2S0’s model and Cassian would reprogram one for an escape, then I thought they were probe droids, then during the reveal before the camera zoomed out thought they were TIE cockpits.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For sure, it’s nice to have a show where when it comes to the casting decisions I have zero notes for how they could have been improved. Also very glad only a handful of characters have plot immunity, so when Luthen is stopped by the cruiser we have zero guarantees of his survival. I still think they should have killed off Obi-Wan in attack of the clones and replaced him with a clone, why not.

What were your guesses about what they were building in the prison? At first I thought it was K2S0’s model and Cassian would reprogram one for an escape, then I thought they were probe droids, then during the reveal before the camera zoomed out thought they were TIE cockpits.

TIE fighter wings was a pretty popular theory. They're too small, but maybe you could have stuck some rods in the ends of the spoke to complete them.

HereCometheKillBots
Jul 21, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I guessed they were structural components for the Death Star and I was dead on :cool:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This desert planets discussion makes me think it would be cool to see a single war being fought on the same planet at different times. There would be tactically-important times, times that have resources or abundance that armies would vie over. There would be rugged terrain that had to be held to encroach on other times, such as ice ages or the sun-baked ruins and wastes of the future. Lose control over a glaciated North America, before you know it the enemy has taken 31st-century Atlantic Megalopolis.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Brawnfire posted:

This desert planets discussion makes me think it would be cool to see a single war being fought on the same planet at different times. There would be tactically-important times, times that have resources or abundance that armies would vie over. There would be rugged terrain that had to be held to encroach on other times, such as ice ages or the sun-baked ruins and wastes of the future. Lose control over a glaciated North America, before you know it the enemy has taken 31st-century Atlantic Megalopolis.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Also, I don't know if it's a Hollywood scene vs. British acting scene kinda thing (my understanding is many of the actors are more local), but there wasn't a single hammy/phoned-in performance. Everybody, even the bit parts, brought the drama and the believability needed. The Third Sister/Reva from Obi-Wan is just cringe-inducing by comparison—although even there, I wonder if it might have more to do with the direction than the actress

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Going back to Rogue One and if that film had the same level of acting as this show it might have been able to carry the first two acts rather than them being 80 minutes of wasted time.

Beyond the blatant lingering shots referencing other Star Wars things, the acting is too hammy and the dialogue too on the nose for the tone they aimed for. The Rebellions Are Built On Hope scene is really bad at this with everyone giving it their full bellowing performances and it all sounds silly (wot iz she propowsing!?)

In general the film actors are too excited reminding you they're in a star wars to actually act all that well.

On the plus side the show does make Luna's performance in the film more interesting. Rogue One we're seeing a hardened, burnt out Andor and here is where we see the inception point. He's got a hard journey ahead and a lot more to lose to get him to the dark place he's at in R1.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 30, 2022

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Actually I think you'll find that Rogue One is the best Star Wars film
in the last 40 years

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Solo is better than Rogue One, but Andor is leagues better than both.

In retrospect, Rogue One seems sort of like a lungfish, a necessary but ungainly middle step on the way to a more coherent version of Star Wars.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Arc Hammer posted:

Going back to Rogue One and if that film had the same level of acting as this show it might have been able to carry the first two acts rather than them being 80 minutes of wasted time.

Beyond the blatant lingering shots referencing other Star Wars things, the acting is too hammy and the dialogue too on the nose for the tone they aimed for. The Rebellions Are Built On Hope scene is really bad at this with everyone giving it their full bellowing performances and it all sounds silly (wot iz she propowsing!?)

In general the film actors are too excited reminding you they're in a star wars to actually act all that well.

On the plus side the show does make Luna's performance in the film more interesting. Rogue One we're seeing a hardened, burnt out Andor and here is where we see the inception point. He's got a hard journey ahead and a lot more to lose to get him to the dark place he's at in R1.

Rogue One kinda goes for The Guns of Navarone as a feel but it would be like if Guns had an hour and a half of the crew deciding they really wanted to join the allies after all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like Rogue One very much but I imagine that the fact that they had to basically rewrite the whole loving thing halfway through post probably caused some problems.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

zoux posted:

I like Rogue One very much but I imagine that the fact that they had to basically rewrite the whole loving thing halfway through post probably caused some problems.

This is by far the biggest problem with Rogue One. Once it finally settles down it's really quite good, but the first hour is an absolute loving mess.

There is still some excellent writing in it: Krennic is maybe the best villain the series has ever produced and digital Tarkin's line, "We need a statement, not a manifesto" is Andor-tier dialogue, but before that we have to jump between like six different planets.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
One reference/comparison I haven't heard made about the funeral marching band yet is with colliery bands, which are British brass bands strongly associated with local communities, particularly industrial coal mining towns where they offered a rare escape from the deprivation after the closure of those mines.

Given how Andor was filmed in the UK, incorporating the settings and traditions and history into aspects of the show, I think the parallels with Ferrix (it being a working class community based around a dirty and dangerous industry) are obvious.

Brassed Off is a good 90s British film with a young Ewan McGregor following the true story of one of those colliery brass bands, if anyone is interested.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Solo is better than Rogue One, but Andor is leagues better than both.

In retrospect, Rogue One seems sort of like a lungfish, a necessary but ungainly middle step on the way to a more coherent version of Star Wars.

Would be interested to hear your reasons for thinking Solo is superior. I thought Solo was a waste with a poorly cast lead, a plot checking boxes for how he acquired his name/allies/ship, and as others have observed the character is behaving wildly different than the immoral opportunist he was at the start of new hope. One of the most interesting parts of his background as an imperial is barely covered with deleted scenes and slapstick, and Donald Glover is good but can’t carry it alone.

To be fair I liked the train scene.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My issue with Solo is that you are trying to take the most charismatic, most iconic character (arguably) in all of Star Wars, and that's inseparable from Harrison Ford's performance. Alden Ehrenreich did his damndest but it's asking him to play Orson Welles in Kane: A Rosebud Story. Start with a lower degree of difficulty.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Rogue One was rewritten a lot but i don't know if the first half, even the old first half was really worth saving- it just doesn't work so well, it would have served the film to just be an action-adventure piece with the characters in place rather than the weird checkboxes of making sure everyone had their arc.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I thought Alden Ehrenreich was one of the best parts of Solo. He just feels like Harrison Ford.

The checkbox plot was lame, Woody was good though and once they got rolling it was a fun flick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anthony Ingruber would have been better.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Solo is a very fun adventure film brought a bit lower by its insistence to answer questions about han solo no one asked.

Still a good movie though the performances are great

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Panzeh posted:

Rogue One was rewritten a lot but i don't know if the first half, even the old first half was really worth saving- it just doesn't work so well, it would have served the film to just be an action-adventure piece with the characters in place rather than the weird checkboxes of making sure everyone had their arc.

It does get a little weaker each time I rewatch it. However I will continue to do so.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Anthony Ingruber would have been better.

Nah Danny DeVito

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I laughed far too hard at this, well done

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't know which is worse:

Zombie Tarkin and Leia in Rogue One

or the completely unnecessary Darth Maul cameo (and the unnecessary lightsaber pose) in Solo.

Both movies are trash for different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It was the the completely unnecessary Darth Maul cameo (and the unnecessary lightsaber pose) in X-men.