Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Black Griffon posted:

If we're eliminating the 7506, I'm adding two more points to my list:
  • Gonna be doing some recording work (VO, podcast, all hobby-grade). Meant to include that, but I see I forgot.
  • I certainly game more than I do anything else. No need for an onboard mic though, which is another reason I want to replace the Cloud 2.

Got it. I heard from a bunch of people on a podcast that it was good for general use and I should've known they were biased.

Probably pretty good I suppose, what would you say are the big upsides to the two?

Well tuned. Easy to drive. Better fits. Both designed and built this side of the turn of the century.

I'd recommend walking into a physical store that sells both (musician supply store type place) if possible to make a decision if that helps. You can still buy blind online if that's not an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Any recommendations for at-home headphones with wireless stations to replace a HDR175? Budget is $300 or so.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

cum calamity posted:

Any recommendations for at-home headphones with wireless stations to replace a HDR175? Budget is $300 or so.

None from me sorry. The last home wireless RF headphones I used were an ancestor of the ones you wish to replace.

I think Pioneer and Sony still make potential home solutions in the wireless headphone for your TV range. I haven't tried them though.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

So I’m looking to upgrade my earbud/IEM situation (current are some okay wired Sony earbuds from ~6 years back). I’m primarily looking to use them at work; it tends to be hellaciously noisy around my seat and I’ve been using music to block that out, but it’d be nice to have something more modern that could help handle that on its own. Outside of that, as long as it has good sound quality on music and calls, and works wirelessly with my phone, it should be fine.

I’d been looking at the Bose QuietComfort II because all the reviews I’ve seen rave about how well it blocks out sound, but $250 on sale is pretty steep. Can someone recommend a good alternative in the $100-150 USD range? I’d go a little higher if it means a big jump in quality, I imagine I’ll be using these for years.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you’re spending $100 on a TWS set and don’t have a specific tuning in mind the rec is always Galaxy Buds 2.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ayndin posted:

I’d been looking at the Bose QuietComfort II because all the reviews I’ve seen rave about how well it blocks out sound, but $250 on sale is pretty steep. Can someone recommend a good alternative in the $100-150 USD range? I’d go a little higher if it means a big jump in quality, I imagine I’ll be using these for years.

Well a set number of years anyway, 3 max for the most part. Anything you buy with non-removable batteries will be e-waste at that point when they won't hold a charge anymore.

If you want something that sounds great with passive isolation that will work for the rest of your life, it's etymotic. ER2XR or SE depending on your bass preferences. The downside is the Deep Insertion, and it might be a deal killer so order a variety of tips and buy from a place with a great return policy.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Well a set number of years anyway, 3 max for the most part. Anything you buy with non-removable batteries will be e-waste at that point when they won't hold a charge anymore.

If you want something that sounds great with passive isolation that will work for the rest of your life, it's etymotic. ER2XR or SE depending on your bass preferences. The downside is the Deep Insertion, and it might be a deal killer so order a variety of tips and buy from a place with a great return policy.

I was leaning more in the wireless direction, mostly because my phone needs an adapter to use wired, but the more I think about it wired is fine/easier to deal with for other devices/doesn’t rely on me remembering to charge things. It looks like at least for the XR they come with a range of dual flange tips so hopefully that’ll be sufficient.

Worst case I’ll pick up something exclusively for my phone down the road.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
holy poo poo portapros are 30 bux on Amazon right now https://a.co/d/hviEJJi

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

drat for that price you could get some good headphones instead.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Another 10 dollars to go and your KortaPro will almost catch up with the Brazilian price!

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

njsykora posted:

I already have good headphones, I want headphones that are pocketable

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

Hell you could buy some fine sounding budget chi-fi IEMs instead and save ten bucks.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
Semi crosspost from the running thread:

I am wanting some headphones that will let me run outside, but be aware of my surroundings. I already have a pair of noise cancelling earbuds I like, but am wary to wear them while running outdoors when cars may be an issue. I have been led to believe that what I want are bone conduction headphones, but I can't seem to find much on how well or not they work outside of "BEST HEADPHONES OF 2022" articles, which are terrible. When I look at online storefronts, it sounds like many brands are really just "loud headphones near your ears" rather than bone conduction. Do these actually work? What brand should I look for? Is there a good place to read up on them, or am I just barking up the wrong tree here?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xenix posted:

I am wanting some headphones that will let me run outside, but be aware of my surroundings. I already have a pair of noise cancelling earbuds I like, but am wary to wear them while running outdoors when cars may be an issue. I have been led to believe that what I want are bone conduction headphones, but I can't seem to find much on how well or not they work outside of "BEST HEADPHONES OF 2022" articles, which are terrible. When I look at online storefronts, it sounds like many brands are really just "loud headphones near your ears" rather than bone conduction. Do these actually work? What brand should I look for? Is there a good place to read up on them, or am I just barking up the wrong tree here?

Turn the noise cancelling off entirely and lower your volume to the level that a person talking to you will make an audible murmer, thus alerting you, even when there is music playing.

It doesn't matter how the noise gets to your ears if its still drowning everything out because you want to listen to a live concert recording at high volume.

I'm not saying you should buy them but my bose quietcomfort earbuds have a setting where they actually amplify external sounds so you hear absolutely everything around you even with music going. Do your current noise cancelling buds have that feature?

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 26, 2022

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Xenix posted:

I've heard literally hundreds of runners rave about Shockz bone-conducting headphones. I tried a pair a couple years ago, but I just didn't find them that compelling. The sound was good-ish, but obviously a step down from anything that actually went in your ear. Additionally, I didn't find they actually solved the issue of being able to hear your surroundings while listening to stuff that well. For instance, I figured I could use them to listen to Podcasts while doing work around the house and still hear my kids talking to me, but I found I had to actually pause the audio and have my kids repeat what they said. Now I just use normal in-ears (Samsung Buds+, typically) with "pass-through" setting (what DancingShade was talking about) that I can toggle when I need to be aware of cars.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have an old pair of Sony earclip earbuds that are non-isolating. None of the bone conduction sets I've tried have been great and as you said, most of them bleed noise like crazy so I'm not convinced of the whole bone conduction thing. Any wireless buds with a decent transparency mode would also be good, or if you wanted to go full stupid you could get one of those pairs of audio sunglasses that was briefly a thing a year or so ago.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I've got a set of Samsung AKG wireless earbuds I got with my phone and a disintegrating AKG N700 I got with a previous phone, and of the two, the N700 definitely has the best ambient noise passthrough, but they're not ideal for running. I generally have to take the earbuds out if I want to hear what a cashier is saying, even with ambient noise on, but with the N700 I can just hit the button.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I have a pair of newer/nicer bone conduction headphones (aftershok aeropex which are now called something else) and I’ll agree that their application is more limited than good ANC IEM’s that have a passtrough/transparency mode. They do have a bit of an edge on being able to hear traffic noise if that is your most important criteria, and the microphone is surprisingly good.

I use them 100% for podcasts, never music, because :barf:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
My less than 2month old 6XX's developed a crack in the headband from, as far as I can tell, normal use. Anyone dealt with warranty repairs with drop/senn before? How boned am I?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

qirex posted:

Beats Flex go on sale a lot and are reasonably durable for kid use. Not sure about your local prices, though. If they’re too much JBL or 1more make cheap reliable wireless buds in the same style.

Went for these - thanks for the suggestion. Hope she doesn't lose/destroy them too quickly!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ChiTownEddie posted:

My less than 2month old 6XX's developed a crack in the headband from, as far as I can tell, normal use. Anyone dealt with warranty repairs with drop/senn before? How boned am I?

YMMV but I had a very good experience with Drop. They replaced my keyboard that had gone bad without question.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

mariooncrack posted:

YMMV but I had a very good experience with Drop. They replaced my keyboard that had gone bad without question.

That gives me some hope at least haha, thanks.
While I am here, is there a defacto rec for some closed back headphones in the ~150 USD range? I mainly listen to post rock if that's a factor. It'd be connected to a fulla for my PC or iFi Go Blu for my phone.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ChiTownEddie posted:

That gives me some hope at least haha, thanks.
While I am here, is there a defacto rec for some closed back headphones in the ~150 USD range? I mainly listen to post rock if that's a factor. It'd be connected to a fulla for my PC or iFi Go Blu for my phone.

AKG K361.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Portapros arrived, been using them for a few hours. Not sure what you guys were complaining about, the sound is a bit bass-heavy and I don't love the cheap unreplaceable cable but these are perfectly good headphones for 30 bucks. Plus they fold up.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I got in some deep Schiit, y'all. I was already looking at a DAC/amp combo from Schiit when suddenly the ones I was looking at disappeared and were replaced with a new generation, Magni+ and Modi+. I ended up picking up the little stack and they sound great - no obvious deficiencies at all to my ears, noticeable improvement over my audio interface's headphone out (well, being USB powered it's got some limitations to be fair, vs. the Magni's like +/-16v up to 5W between both channels, surprisingly powerful at the price range - but that's based on old expectations, I dunno, maybe there are other nice ones available at the price now, "this one is mine"), and my headphones that are more demanding on power delivery to sound right appreciate the upgrade very much.

Then Schiit did something weird for them and had their first ever Black Friday sale (still ongoing) - that put the Loki Mini+ down to $99, and I jumped on one to make it a "complete" little rig, why not. I asked if the Loki Mini+ is on the chopping block soon since they feature the older 4-screws-on-top chassis, and in their Magni+ & Magni Heretic/Modi+ announcement post Schiit noted that they've moved to a different aim for how they're stamping their enclosures. Jason said the product will remain the same circuit, but it will get an updated chassis in 2023. I'm 10,000% fine with screws on top, I don't give half a schiit where the screws are TBH and $50 off is cool.

Also, I got the ATH-A990Z in today! I think they're a very fine continuation of the lineup. I used to really love the old A900 in the 2000s - I think they've made them smaller since then, because I remember the A900 being as big around as a CD but these are a little more reasonably sized, and fit a little more snugly which is for the best. No need to get any rubber bands out after 'em. I love their overall sound profile, a little bit more bass and lower mids than the A900 going by memory (... for what that's worth, it has been a while y'all) but a great overall perception of stereo image, and a very "fun" sound.

I refurbished my old DT-770 250-ohm with some new pads and they are almost shockingly improved, but the old pads were really... really worn out, to the point that they sat supra-aurally and had no noise isolation anymore, so that's probably par for the course even if it was :drat: to hear. I think when I get an updated Beyer I'll go for the DT-700 Pro X to see what they're doing with that one.

Getting back into headphones has been a lot of fun :)

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 29, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Outrail posted:

Okay okay you've convinced me, I'll get a pair of the ear dildos.

So I got a pair of the Etymotic’s ER2XR. Great sound, feels like getting skull-hosed by two robots. Would buy again. Thanks thread!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ER2XR is reallllly good but I can't use them because microphonics are fing horrible and the fit cant work for my bendy canals. Sad but sok.

things I've checked out recently that are good:

Xduoo XA-10 amp/dac/bt. LDAC which works perfect, 2w output, AKM dac. Class A amp. Sounds amazing.

Burson Playmate 2, good but Xduoo is better.

I got a Gishelli Jnog 2 DAC and upgraded with a Sparkos SS2590 and that thing is unbelievable. HIGHLY recommended and not that cheap. The stage is absolutely bonkers massive, deep, wide, etc. It's so good I ordered their Archel 2.5XL and then also am going to mod it with the Sparkos. Gishelli is doing the mods for me basically, and testing them with an APx. SWEET.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUDrgWJiWFc

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Picked up the Sony WH-1000XM5's from Woot on a Woot-Off for 269 which I believe the lowest it's ever been and other stores (including Amazon proper) are only selling for ~350 for Cyber Monday.

Nice little thing to have for work.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

redeyes posted:

Sparkos SS2590

Cool post in general but these things have me fascinated right now - so they're making discrete topology circuits that slot into op-amp sockets, provided there's room?

I have to admit I am impressed by how much the Magni+/Modi+ has added to my listening experience; I'm more open to eventually trying a more expensive amp than I used to be. One day - this is doing great for me right now and it is not a priority for the near future.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 29, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Thinking of getting myself the Sony LinkBuds S for music, podcasts, audio books etc. Currently £120 in the UK. Good price or would I be better with something else ? Was considering the Sony WF-1000XM4 but some reviews say they're quite uncomfortable after a while.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Outrail posted:

So I got a pair of the Etymotic’s ER2XR. Great sound, feels like getting skull-hosed by two robots. Would buy again. Thanks thread!

I also picked up a pair of these on the thread’s advice, and while I’ve just started using them I am impressed at how well they block out noise, at the sound quality, and at their skull drilling level. Slightly concerned they might get uncomfortable after a few hours but once I sit them in the ear right they feel pretty good. Overall pretty happy, thanks!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thinking of getting myself the Sony LinkBuds S for music, podcasts, audio books etc. Currently £120 in the UK. Good price or would I be better with something else ? Was considering the Sony WF-1000XM4 but some reviews say they're quite uncomfortable after a while.

Depends on how long "a while" is to you. I can wear the xm4 for over an hour before i start to notice them, but I also virtually never need to wear them for more than an hour

Also bought the comply tips for mine and they seem to help

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

emdash posted:

Depends on how long "a while" is to you. I can wear the xm4 for over an hour before i start to notice them, but I also virtually never need to wear them for more than an hour

Also bought the comply tips for mine and they seem to help

A while meaning a few hours. An hour definitely feels a bit too short before discomfort.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I dug out my old Buds+ and it's crazy how much better these things fit in my ears. I think it's the little wing tip things. Pretty sure I'm just going to replace my buds 2 pro with something else because I didn't love how they felt and how frequently they slipped out of my ears or needed nudging which of course registers as a tap.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I regularly wear my xm4s for like 10 hours. No discomfort for me. The ones I had before were even heavier so these are a breeze for me.

e: wow, i'm a moron, i thought this was about the over the ear ones

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 30, 2022

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Shape of IEM shell and eartips are really key. Problem is we all have different ears so finding what's best for each of us is more of an individual journey.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Agreed posted:

Cool post in general but these things have me fascinated right now - so they're making discrete topology circuits that slot into op-amp sockets, provided there's room?

I have to admit I am impressed by how much the Magni+/Modi+ has added to my listening experience; I'm more open to eventually trying a more expensive amp than I used to be. One day - this is doing great for me right now and it is not a priority for the near future.

Correct, and you can look up how much better they measure if you desire. Bottom line, they are at the very top of the Opamp heap. Also the Archel 2.5xl is like 220 bux. The extra nice wood shell does add some bux but you can opt out of that. I don't consider that expensive at all. Having said that the sparkos were $88bux on sale, and usually $135 or so extra.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Got the last part of the setup in today, behold my stack of Schiit:

I really like 'em :)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I believe that’s a crock or a pile, technically speaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Hmmm... I'm either going to be owned or pleasantly surprised with my recent purchase from Woot...

When I bought it:

When I checked after getting my tracking info: