Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m guessing apple hasn’t fixed the “I need to ask to paste literally anything” issue? I had something on my clipboard from Mail and Awful was Not Pleased!

E: yeah it’s triggerhappy in that it’ll ask me to paste somehow when I’m on the bookmarks menu

teen witch fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

teen witch posted:

I’m guessing apple hasn’t fixed the “I need to ask to paste literally anything” issue? I had something on my clipboard from Mail and Awful was Not Pleased!

E: yeah it’s triggerhappy in that it’ll ask me to paste somehow when I’m on the bookmarks menu
There's a setting for it now, I think it was added in 16.1. If you go to Settings > [app] > Allow Paste From Other Apps you can set it to Allow instead of Ask.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

datajosh posted:

There's a setting for it now, I think it was added in 16.1. If you go to Settings > [app] > Allow Paste From Other Apps you can set it to Allow instead of Ask.

hallelujah

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

datajosh posted:

Well I’ll be damned, thanks!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Did YouTube change something? Every time I run into an embed in the app it fails to load the thread and then loops trying to load and failing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

Did YouTube change something? Every time I run into an embed in the app it fails to load the thread and then loops trying to load and failing.

is the thread failing to load or the embed? the embed loading like 10 seconds and then getting stuck in a loop has been a thing for ages. you can tap and hold on the embed to open it in the youtube app

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Arivia posted:

is the thread failing to load or the embed? the embed loading like 10 seconds and then getting stuck in a loop has been a thing for ages. you can tap and hold on the embed to open it in the youtube app

Thread fails to load, on my iPhone and my iPad.

E: it’ll load a few posts but if I scroll past them it’s blank and the just refreshes and repeats.

RandolphCarter fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 30, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

From Astral's pinned announcement, something is hosed with YouTube embeds right now.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Good to know I’m not alone. Wonder what YouTube did.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the app is being weird by eating some number of line breaks after a line with a gif and text on it. if i add enough line breaks, it will eventually actually break the lines in the app, but in a normal browser there will be a bunch of blank lines. if i turn on auto-animate gifs it works normally, so something to do with the play overlay or something

a post -> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991238&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=307#post528247227

how it looks with autoplay off:

autoplay on:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Indeed, pages with lots of Twitter and YouTube embeds are eating poo poo right now. I ran into it for the first time on page 293 of the PS5 thread, which keeps trying to load but resets to top of page endlessly. See here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012361&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=293

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I don’t know if this feature is talked about in this huge thread but I would pay money for the ability to download threads for offline reading, even if it couldn’t cache embeds and such.

That is all thank you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FlerpNerpin posted:

I don’t know if this feature is talked about in this huge thread but I would pay money for the ability to download threads for offline reading, even if it couldn’t cache embeds and such.

That is all thank you.

Yeah, I’d love that too. It’d be great to download a long thread to read on a plane or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I’d love that too. It’d be great to download a long thread to read on a plane or something.

Yeah I've brought this up before and the app kinda does this already if you go into a thread and go forward a bunch of pages the pages that you've read are in a cache.

I'm not sure how feasible offline reading really is at this point tbh.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I love the app but I still don't like the forum view. Why no pages like in threads and on the forums? Scrolling down and having the list abruptly refresh throws me off and if there are threads you've read they jump to the top of the list no matter how far down you've gone so you'll never find them unless you guess you've passed them and go all the way back up.

I think it's linked to the forum setting of having threads you've read appear at the top of the page or something? I don't know but I don't like it.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Stare-Out posted:

I love the app but I still don't like the forum view. Why no pages like in threads and on the forums? Scrolling down and having the list abruptly refresh throws me off and if there are threads you've read they jump to the top of the list no matter how far down you've gone so you'll never find them unless you guess you've passed them and go all the way back up.

I think it's linked to the forum setting of having threads you've read appear at the top of the page or something? I don't know but I don't like it.

pull to refresh is a toggle in app settings, i hated it so i have it turned off myself

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

pull to refresh is a toggle in app settings, i hated it so i have it turned off myself

That’s not what I’m talking about, but pull to refresh works fine for me.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Beta chat: as much as I don’t want to be old man yelling at cloud seeing this frog at the bottom of every page is infuriating.

Edit: oh there’s a setting to turn it off, sigh

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Wait, how do you enable the frog? Is that a beta only thing?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Warbird posted:

Wait, how do you enable the frog? Is that a beta only thing?

Yes

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Did most of the UI text get a lot smaller in the new beta? I think the text within threads is unchanged, but everything else seems tiny and I don’t think it’s responding to the in-app text sizing settings.

I can increase my system text size to make it more readable, but then all my other apps’ text is too big.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Diabolik900 posted:

Did most of the UI text get a lot smaller in the new beta? I think the text within threads is unchanged, but everything else seems tiny and I don’t think it’s responding to the in-app text sizing settings.

I can increase my system text size to make it more readable, but then all my other apps’ text is too big.

Mine got bigger, so I’m assuming it started respecting system text settings

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don’t know, admittedly I have my system size set at the smallest setting, but somehow Awful’s text is even smaller than any other app.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Vibing with the new icons and changes. Not having any issues with it looking weird or small (13 Pro, iOS 16.2)

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah, some app text was already configured for dynamic text but a fair amount was not. Now the majority of the text in the app is set for dynamic.

So the previously hardcoded font sizes will now respect your system size settings and shrink/grow using an offset value we provide. I chose an offset that would keep the font sizes the same on default settings.

If you can take a screenshot and mention the affected elements, I'll see if there's a better style available.

As well as the offset, we set a text style such as title/caption/footnote. Maybe there's one that will shrink/grow more reasonably while not appearing noticeably different on default settings.

If you can say what device you're using, I'll test in a simulator with the same.

Edit: I've had a chance to look now and I see exactly what you mean. Seeing what I can do

commie kong fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 14, 2022

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Diabolik900 posted:

I don’t know, admittedly I have my system size set at the smallest setting, but somehow Awful’s text is even smaller than any other app.

I've pushed something to address this to GitHub and messaged pokeyman

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Has anyone else gotten any luck in using a browser besides Safari to open up URLs from the Awful.app?

I filed an issue requesting this: https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app/issues/1161

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Has anyone else gotten any luck in using a browser besides Safari to open up URLs from the Awful.app?

I filed an issue requesting this: https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app/issues/1161

Mine open in firefox, there's definitely a setting somewhere that I changed for this.

Edit: Settings -> Default Browser. It's just below about halfway down. This is on the non-beta, standard appstore version.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

commie kong posted:

Yeah, some app text was already configured for dynamic text but a fair amount was not. Now the majority of the text in the app is set for dynamic.

So the previously hardcoded font sizes will now respect your system size settings and shrink/grow using an offset value we provide. I chose an offset that would keep the font sizes the same on default settings.

If you can take a screenshot and mention the affected elements, I'll see if there's a better style available.

As well as the offset, we set a text style such as title/caption/footnote. Maybe there's one that will shrink/grow more reasonably while not appearing noticeably different on default settings.

If you can say what device you're using, I'll test in a simulator with the same.

Edit: I've had a chance to look now and I see exactly what you mean. Seeing what I can do

If the app largely wasn’t respecting dynamic type before, and it all basically looks the same on default settings, then I’d say this is an improvement overall. I’m certainly an edge case in having my font set to the smallest setting. Stuff should look smaller for me than it did before, but it does seem a little strange that it’s smaller than I’m seeing in other apps. Looking forward to trying your change whenever the next beta comes.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

ssb posted:

Mine open in firefox, there's definitely a setting somewhere that I changed for this.

Edit: Settings -> Default Browser. It's just below about halfway down. This is on the non-beta, standard appstore version.

Yeah, I tried that to no avail (see my Issue link) - only safari shows up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is it just me, or is scrolling a lot worse with the newest beta? It’s chunky and sometimes entirely non-responsive for a few seconds, but not consistently on any given page. Seeing it on both my 14 Pro Max and my older iPad Pro.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Subjunctive posted:

Is it just me, or is scrolling a lot worse with the newest beta? It’s chunky and sometimes entirely non-responsive for a few seconds, but not consistently on any given page. Seeing it on both my 14 Pro Max and my older iPad Pro.

I'm seeing this as well, on an iPhone 12 Pro w/ iOS 16.1.2 and on the latest Awful app beta. My impression is that it's related to Twitter embeds (and perhaps especially when the tweets include a video?), although I'm not sure.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Does disabling frog and ghost help?

Is it any page within the posts page webview or any page/screen in the app? I think the messages screen is hitching for sure.

I'll have a go at running the app through Instruments this weekend.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

commie kong posted:

Does disabling frog and ghost help?

Is it any page within the posts page webview or any page/screen in the app? I think the messages screen is hitching for sure.

I'll have a go at running the app through Instruments this weekend.

:O   yes, it very much does help to disable frog-n-ghost! For example, page 1893 of the yosmusk thread chugs quite a lot for me with frog-n-ghost enabled, but scrolls buttery-smooth with them disabled.

That's pretty unexpected to me since that page I linked is not the end of the thread any more (no frog) and at present no tweets on that page are deleted afaict (no ghosts). I guess the frog-n-ghost placement code is more complicated, or run far more frequently, than I imagined?

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

drat that should only run when there's an error returned from Twitter. Will need to recheck that.

Thanks, that really helps nail it down.

commie kong fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 16, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ll never know if disabling the frog helps because I love the frog too much

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Me too.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I demand the frog be enabled be default and the toggle for it be removed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is it really even possible for the frog & ghost code to run too frequently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

withak posted:

Is it really even possible for the frog & ghost code to run too frequently?

No and you honestly should get a 6er for even suggesting that might be a possibility.