Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

Not exactly minor, that bridge is vitally important for the region. None of the alternative routes have equivalent capacity.

Bridge and canal are currently closed, and if that bridge cannot be safely reopened there's going to be some major disruption for years to come.

(Unless you commute by bike, there's a small ferry for bikes and pedestrians)

Jfc, is the sex arse supply safe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Right now the sex arses need to detour via Skagerrak, and there are probably a number of vessels stuck in the canal. So sex arse distribution to and from the Baltic sea is blocked.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Just goes to show how capitalism uses up people and spits them out.
My grandfather proudly worked his rear end day in and day out only to see the entire industry be made redundant with artificial arses.
Disgusting.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

We recently updated our “what to do if someone shows up at work wanting to do violence,” training at work (not the sort of business where that happens often, but I’m sure it’s covering some liability the auditors demand we address.) If you’re in pretty much any country in the world, the training is to “run, hide, call the authorities.”

In the US, it’s been updated to, “run, hide, call the authorities, and also feel free to fight them.”

This is fine.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BasicLich posted:

it's probably fine, antimateriel mines are not especially delicate and the detonation mechanisms degrade faster than the high explosive payload

When detonators degrade they tend to not do so gracefully.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwI2NrVYqIE

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

We recently updated our “what to do if someone shows up at work wanting to do violence,” training at work (not the sort of business where that happens often, but I’m sure it’s covering some liability the auditors demand we address.) If you’re in pretty much any country in the world, the training is to “run, hide, call the authorities.”

In the US, it’s been updated to, “run, hide, call the authorities, and also feel free to fight them.”

This is fine.
If someone is just there with an intent to murder there's nothing to lose in attacking them if you're stuck and already ran down the run hide escalation list. The US thing here is that this happens enough to figure that out.

You know you're in a very American course when instead of hide they reinforce the need to entrench and prepare.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

meatpimp posted:

On a smaller rubber mill like that... maybe. On a production 60" mill, it's a hard, dangerous job. The rollers are heated hot as gently caress, so everything is hot, the material is often sticky, and the machine is designed to pull material into the rollers... and those things will mill you just as easily as they do rubber.

You know the saddest part about this? I probably would still do this for fun if it weren't for the heat, gently caress that. Crush my arms all you want but don't cause me to sweat.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

zedprime posted:

If someone is just there with an intent to murder there's nothing to lose in attacking them if you're stuck and already ran down the run hide escalation list. The US thing here is that this happens enough to figure that out.

You know you're in a very American course when instead of hide they reinforce the need to entrench and prepare.

Our training at work goes "Run, hide, fight if necessary," in that order. They also specifically say multiple times that if you have a gun for God's sake only use it as a last resort for self defense because if you get the bright idea to go looking for the attacker the police will probably think it's you and shoot you.

'Murica.

Log082 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 30, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fortunately I work on a campus, so it's illegal for anyone to bring a weapon in

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Splode posted:

I remember reading about snapping turtles in a picture book when I was a little kid.
I thought they were in some jungle in an exotic part of the world, not all over the US.

I still don't understand why we have a bad reputation for scary animals in Australia, when the US has bears, snapping turtles, alligators and mountain lions. Brown snakes and funnel web spiders are considerably less scary in comparison.

I think the difference is that with the American dangerous animals it's real easy to avoid most of those - just don't go to where they are. There's also a ton of separation in habitat - alligators are basically a Florida thing, bears are a northern states thing, and mountain lions are a western thing (and especially with mountain lions, you almost never see them even in states where they live because they tend to stay away from humans. Bears too to some extent - black bears are basically large raccoons unless you A) get between mother and cub or B) they've become used to humans and have lost their fear, in which case they're usually culled. Grizzlies at this point are solely an Alaska thing). Compare that to snakes and spiders which can be anywhere and you may not see them until it's too late. Also, even your "non-dangerous" spiders aren't something I'd want to have around - clockspider is a meme for a reason. I don't have a pathological fear of spiders, though I don't love them either, but a huntsman a foot in diameter popping out from your toilet seat, behind your clock, or, as I understand it, from above your car sunvisor, is not on my list of desired daily experiences. We do have dangerous snakes and spiders (and scorpions) here but most people don't encounter them unless you go out in the country.

And the real problem is not Australia's relatively normal dangers like snakes and spiders, it's that you have insane things like the gympie-gympie and blue ring octopus. Seriously, a plant that embeds thousands of microscopic needles in your skin that cause immense pain for up to years afterwards? gently caress. That. poo poo. A tiny octopus that fits in your hand and can deliver a bite you don't feel that can kill within minutes using one of the most potent neurotoxins around that has no known anti-venom? NOPE NO SIR I'LL BE LEAVING YOUR COUNTRY NOW.

Not to mention, since you brought up alligators, that the NT has crocodiles. Most alligators are pretty drat small and many wouldn't attack an adult human (toddlers at Disney are another story), but crocs? Hooboy. It's not as bad as the others since the same "just don't go to there" argument applies but my point is that everything scary or dangerous in Australia is ten times more so than really anywhere else, but certainly than in the US.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
don't forget the box jellyfish

man-o-wars ain't got poo poo on some types of box jellyfish around Australia that can kill humans

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

There's also a ton of separation in habitat - alligators are basically a Florida thing, bears are a northern states thing, and mountain lions are a western thing (and especially with mountain lions, you almost never see them even in states where they live because they tend to stay away from humans.

Hi, I live in Georgia and we have all of these. Cougars are one of the most widespread big cats out there (and go by enough different names that I can see where you might think otherwise), gators are a problem out to Texas and up to the Carolinas, and bears loving love the Appalachians.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Log082 posted:

Our training at work goes "Run, hide, fight if necessary," in that order. They also specifically say multiple times that if you have a gun for God's sake only use it as a last resort for self defense because if you get the bright idea to go looking for the attacked the police will probably think it's you and shoot you.

'Murica.

As someone who used to have to do a lot of active shooter drills, the thing to keep in mind is there is going to be a ton of confusion. No two reports would give the same description of a shooter. Sometimes they would be reported as a short Hispanic male, a tall black man, an average height white man and the occasional report of the shooter being a woman. In that case it was a white deputy with a cop haircut, cop mustache, and cop body language. But the reports with wildly different appearances were sincere. Hell, two witness were happy with argue with me that it was a black man.

Assuming the cops are going their job, which is a big assumption, the thing they are going to be looking for is "person with a gun". It's why the crowd demanding we arm teachers are some of the dumbest motherfuckers around. That's just going to lead to teachers getting shot. And the reality is that even if a teacher feels like confronting an active shooter, shooting under stress is hard. It's why we see the headlines of "Cops shoot at suspect 48 times, hit him 3 times killing them." I'm not sure where teachers are eager to take their remaining 10 minutes of free time a week to spend it practicing shooting.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ablative posted:

bears loving love the Appalachians.

https://twitter.com/cocainebear/status/1598013839202693120

"based on true events" is not the bear running around murdering people, because black bears are like big dogs

"based on true events" is because in 1982 during a botched drug smuggling attempt, parcels of cocaine were spread through the forests of the lower appalachians and some months later a bear turned up completely dead on a massive overdose of cocaine

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

"based on true events" is not the bear running around murdering people, because black bears are like big dogs

"based on true events" is because in 1982 during a botched drug smuggling attempt, parcels of cocaine were spread through the forests of the lower appalachians and some months later a bear turned up completely dead on a massive overdose of cocaine

shut up

:supaburn: COCAINE BEAR!!! :supaburn:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Thomamelas posted:

Assuming the cops are going their job, which is a big assumption, the thing they are going to be looking for is "person with a gun". It's why the crowd demanding we arm teachers are some of the dumbest motherfuckers around. That's just going to lead to teachers getting shot.

A number of years ago, the state legislature of Arizona tried to pass a law that would allow students and teachers to carry guns on state university campuses (i.e. ASU and U of A).

The student unions were strongly opposed to it for obvious reasons.

The faculty unions were strongly opposed to it for obvious reasons.

The president of ASU wrote an open letter to the newspaper saying "there is no possible benefit to carrying weapons on our campus. We are no longer the wild west."

The Phoenix police department put out a statement saying it was a terrible idea, and giving a hypothetical example where there's a shooter on campus and the police arrive to find several people pointing guns at each other in a standoff -- how do they know who is the bad guy?

Literally everyone with any skin in the game hated the idea. The only reason it existed was because some Republican state legislators wanted to get some second amendment cred with their shithead voters.

Ugh

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
My work safety training includes advice that if a customer throws acid in your face you should try to turn your face away from the acid :(

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Ablative posted:

Hi, I live in Georgia and we have all of these. Cougars are one of the most widespread big cats out there (and go by enough different names that I can see where you might think otherwise), gators are a problem out to Texas and up to the Carolinas, and bears loving love the Appalachians.

Huh, you're right, I didn't know this. That sounds pretty awful - have you considered not living in Georgia?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I hate that this is how it's done and there isn't a mechanical solution

that IS the mechanical solution, imagine how hard it was to do before we had those big metal rollers

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

My work safety training includes advice that if a customer throws acid in your face you should try to turn your face away from the acid :(

Seems like your employers should better screen who they’re selling acid to

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

snakes and spiders can hide in inconvenient (for a person) places, bears alligators and big cats can appear out of bushes or whatever in a surprising way but you won't find them in your shoe, behind the sun visor in a car or under some stuff in your garage or whatever.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

GD_American posted:

Seems like your employers should better screen who they’re selling acid to

The acid business is a tough business.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

If anyone throws acid at you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Shifty Nipples posted:

snakes and spiders can hide in inconvenient (for a person) places, bears alligators and big cats can appear out of bushes or whatever in a surprising way but you won't find them in your shoe, behind the sun visor in a car or under some stuff in your garage or whatever.

Lol, almost. They can be anywhere that butts up to a body of water in Florida, no matter how small.

Places I have found alligators: underneath trucks and cars, in the neighbor's pool, in the communal pool, in the flooded casement of a stationary scissor-lift, behind some pallets, in the middle of the road, across an entire protected left turn lane (being stared at by a very confused policeman), under a porch, on a porch, in a dirty towel bin, you get the idea.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Uthor posted:

If anyone throws acid at you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Throwing acid is wrong, in some peoples' eyes.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

The acid business is a tough business.

Acid is basic business, come on.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Don't look up assault with caustic chemicals, beyond the terrible damage it does turns out a lot of these attacks are on women by jealous exes.
:smith:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

A number of years ago, the state legislature of Arizona tried to pass a law that would allow students and teachers to carry guns on state university campuses (i.e. ASU and U of A).

The student unions were strongly opposed to it for obvious reasons.

The faculty unions were strongly opposed to it for obvious reasons.

The president of ASU wrote an open letter to the newspaper saying "there is no possible benefit to carrying weapons on our campus. We are no longer the wild west."

The Phoenix police department put out a statement saying it was a terrible idea, and giving a hypothetical example where there's a shooter on campus and the police arrive to find several people pointing guns at each other in a standoff -- how do they know who is the bad guy?

Literally everyone with any skin in the game hated the idea. The only reason it existed was because some Republican state legislators wanted to get some second amendment cred with their shithead voters.

Ugh

It's the NRA and Sheriffs that push that poo poo. Within ACAB different kinds of cops have different kinds of shittness. Sheriffs tend to be more likely to be elected to their position than other kinds of cops. This means they draw dumb fucks who want to spew conspiracy nonsense. And since they come from the ranks of cops or cop wanna bes, they skew conservative. I'm not saying all of the stupid poo poo said by law enforcement comes from Sheriffs but the kind of really brain hurting poo poo tends to be them.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Shifty Nipples posted:

Do you even know what a bear is?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I didn't know I need this, but drat do I need it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LOL, this is one of Ray Liotta's last movies.

LMAO he still has four movies due out as a dead man

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Platystemon posted:

Common snappers can move real fast if they want to.

They’re probably going to do this to run away from you, not charge you, but it can still come as a shock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CH7OyM4tUg&t=57s

Those are softshells, not snappers.

But honestly, I'd rather tangle with a snapper. Softshells are crazy fast, and can do this (even the little ones):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuGXUwINwaU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Grizzlies at this point are solely an Alaska thing

And also the other states where they live (Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming)

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

sigher posted:

Not gonna lie I kinda want to do that for fun.

Come on over to the last place I worked and you can do it all day for $14/hr. The rubber is black Styrene-Butadiene and the rollers are double the size of oil drums.

The rubber you'll chuck in at the top gets squeezed through, and after it's mixed you'll cut off strips from the roll to weigh and throw into a compression mold across the way.

What's not readily apparent is that the friction of all this generates a ton of heat, which helps to melt the rubber but also burns your hands if you're not wearing felt gloves... which really suck. If you think the factory will have air conditioning, think again. Also if you think the factory will have adequate lighting.., think again again.

e: oh, for the OSHA part.. yeah, there's a trip wire all around the top of the device that you're meant to grab that will stop the rollers. By the time you've grabbed them and the inertia wears off, you're probably going to be halfway through, so you're really just choosing between dying fast or dying slow. It helps that the top of the thing is above head height, and you just chuck the rubber into the rollers like shooting hoops.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 1, 2022

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

NoWake posted:

Come on over to the last place I worked and you can do it all day for $14/hr. The rubber is black Styrene-Butadiene and the rollers are double the size of oil drums.

The rubber you'll chuck in at the top gets squeezed through, and after it's mixed you'll cut off strips to weigh and throw into a compression mold across the way.

What's not readily apparent is that the friction of all this generates a ton of heat, which helps to melt the rubber but also burns your hands if you're not wearing felt gloves... which really suck. If you think the factory will have air conditioning, think again. Also if you think the factory will have adequate lighting.., think again again.

e: oh, for the OSHA part.. yeah, there's a trip wire all around the top of the device that you're meant to grab that will stop the rollers. By the time you've grabbed them and the inertia wears off, you're probably going to be halfway through, so you're really just choosing between dying fast or dying slow. It helps that the top of the thing is above head height, and you just chuck the rubber into the rollers like shooting hoops.

If you think the e-stop will save you...think again.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Hell yeah

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ghost Cactus posted:

I have experienced the tingle. There was a route I used to cycle that went under the electric wires for half a city, and it the tingle hurt! Especially if I was sweaty and I accidentally touched an exposed piece of metal under the saddle, it would zap. I like that warning sign because the first time it happened to me I thought I was about to be struck by lightning or something.

I did a long distance bike ride earlier in the year and I encountered a mysterious garbage road, yeah a literal road made out of garbage, and incredibly low power lines which made my handlebars give me electric shocks. This is probably good enough content for the osha thread!

This garbage road went on for ages and eventually lead to a massive sand mine? there was loads of sand and trucks everywhere. I dunno how they got anything bigger than a small car up to service the wind turbines.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

madeintaipei posted:

Lol, almost. They can be anywhere that butts up to a body of water in Florida, no matter how small.

Places I have found alligators: underneath trucks and cars, in the neighbor's pool, in the communal pool, in the flooded casement of a stationary scissor-lift, behind some pallets, in the middle of the road, across an entire protected left turn lane (being stared at by a very confused policeman), under a porch, on a porch, in a dirty towel bin, you get the idea.

When somebody's an alligator, they're an alligator.
When everybody's an alligator, maybe you're the alligator.