Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

theshim posted:

I've never been able to make a discard deck work for me. I feel like you absolutely have to have Tough Bandages for it to be viable, and it really wants Tingsha too.

I'd suggest rethinking your general approach to the game to be less "I'm building an X deck" and more "I'm picking cards that better prepare my deck for the challenges ahead." Just as Ironclad's exhaust mechanic can be useful even if you're not rolling the unicorn Corruption+Dark Embrace+Dead Branch combo, so too can Silent's discard mechanic even without those relics. Most Silent decks would be well-served with an Acrobatics or two, even in Act 1. Sneaky Strike is a common that does regularly does fair damage for free if you have discard scattered throughout your deck. You can avoid chip damage from Hexaghost's burns if you discard them. Several uncommon cards either benefit from or specifically enhance discard (Eviscerate, Tactician, etc.).

Watching top streamers is fun in large part because you can see how they implement a mechanic into their decks without getting tunnel vision and trying to lean into an X deck or a Y deck. They simply have decks, and those decks are refined throughout a run to prepare for the next challenge. What does my deck need to beat Act 1 elites? Okay, all set. What about the boss? Good. What about killing the red slaver in 1-2 turns or reliably killing gremlins to reduce attacks from Gremlin Leader? So on and so forth.

And the answer isn't always a card. Sometimes you may have a deck that isn't ideal for an upcoming challenge, but you have a potion that will give your deck the edge it needs. That ghost in a jar will deal with some of the most dangerous turns in the game, such as turn 2 of Reptomancer or A4 Elites, and I've seen streamers get one in the first act and say that they intend to sit on it until those fights.

It is certainly fun to lean into a mechanic or gimmick and make it work, but relying on that becomes more difficult as Ascension increases. StS is a far different game at the higher levels, which is part of why it has so much staying power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Discard is a curious beast in this regard because it has cards that literally do nothing if you don't have access to discards on the right turn. Tactician and Reflex are great when they line up, but they're effectively curses when they don't, and I always feel like I need to be aggressively picking things like CG, Acrobatics, Prepared, or Dagger Throw if I want to even consider picking one of those up. And those cards are fine, and often decent or good picks, but the fact that I need specific draws to land or I have completely dead cards always has felt really bad to me.

That, and even when I am getting decent value out of the discard engine, I don't feel like it pushes enough value. I always feel like I'm lacking in block and damage, because I've had to dedicate a decent chunk of my picks to making a synergy work, and if I don't have Tingsha and Bandages I come out lacking in actual power for a lot of the fights.

All that said, I will freely admit that, despite a few A20 Silent wins, I'm incredibly bad at this game. I have a very bad time trying to gauge the relative power of picks, of understanding the context of my deck and the challenges, and of pulling together the tools necessary to win beyond some of the most simple and foolproof strategies like "get a couple poison cards, a Catalyst+ or two, and two Wraith Form+". Most of the time I have to do what feels like "cheating" my way to victory through things like Snecko Eye and Dead Branch providing power and/or answers for fights where I haven't actually built a deck to win. And that's cool and fun and all, but I always struggle with these issues in deckbuilders in general, and I just feel like my brain doesn't work in the right way to comprehend them.

tl;dr mad 'cause bad

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

theshim posted:

Discard is a curious beast in this regard because it has cards that literally do nothing if you don't have access to discards on the right turn. Tactician and Reflex are great when they line up, but they're effectively curses when they don't, and I always feel like I need to be aggressively picking things like CG, Acrobatics, Prepared, or Dagger Throw if I want to even consider picking one of those up. And those cards are fine, and often decent or good picks, but the fact that I need specific draws to land or I have completely dead cards always has felt really bad to me.

That, and even when I am getting decent value out of the discard engine, I don't feel like it pushes enough value. I always feel like I'm lacking in block and damage, because I've had to dedicate a decent chunk of my picks to making a synergy work, and if I don't have Tingsha and Bandages I come out lacking in actual power for a lot of the fights.

All that said, I will freely admit that, despite a few A20 Silent wins, I'm incredibly bad at this game. I have a very bad time trying to gauge the relative power of picks, of understanding the context of my deck and the challenges, and of pulling together the tools necessary to win beyond some of the most simple and foolproof strategies like "get a couple poison cards, a Catalyst+ or two, and two Wraith Form+". Most of the time I have to do what feels like "cheating" my way to victory through things like Snecko Eye and Dead Branch providing power and/or answers for fights where I haven't actually built a deck to win. And that's cool and fun and all, but I always struggle with these issues in deckbuilders in general, and I just feel like my brain doesn't work in the right way to comprehend them.

tl;dr mad 'cause bad

It sounds more like you're mad because you can't emulate your favorite streamers instead of understanding your own successes, maybe watching less and playing more would help imo.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

satanic splash-back posted:

It sounds more like you're mad because you can't emulate your favorite streamers instead of understanding your own successes, maybe watching less and playing more would help imo.
I haven't watched anyone stream StS in over a year now?

But yeah I definitely feel like I don't understand a ton of the game, not just why I fail but also why I succeed when I do.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My favorite things for discard synergies are actually the Abacus and Sundial, a shop and common(?) relic. And Tools of the Trade is almost always a slam pick, especially if I picked up a Sneaky Strike on floor 1. Sneaky Strike on floor 0 or 1 means that half of the time it's just free damage and when it isn't it's the same as playing 2 Strikes.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

theshim posted:

tl;dr mad 'cause bad

I’d just… give discard stuff a try as a “near must have” as a component of a working Silent deck. An Acrobatics or two, a sneaky strike maybe. And then those cards you refer to as curses — it can be true, but almost certainly won’t be with some Acrobatics. Tactician can be your “energy relic”.

I’d just give it a few more tries on that. You might be surprised when all of a sudden, some things are clicking into place.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i have had ehh results with tools of the trade usually its just faster in my experience to have multiple discard cards to make sneaky strike more likely to proc or something

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I once had a deck with Tools, 3 Sneaky Strike+ and a Nightmare. It didn't have enough block for the Heart but everyone else died screaming.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i need to get better at knowing exactly how much burst i need to take on A1 elites on A18+

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I just hit 18 with Silent and Defect and I think the answer is all of it.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i have had ehh results with tools of the trade usually its just faster in my experience to have multiple discard cards to make sneaky strike more likely to proc or something

Tools is leaning pretty hard into discard, imo.

Acrobatics is the #1 general pick to open up discard synergy. Dagger Throw is #2 as an early game pickup, it's a damage common that helps sculpt your hand. Even if you never take another discard themed card, these are solid cards on their own and won't hurt your deck.

Once you have one additional discard outlet on top of Survivor, Sneaky Strike starts to look pretty good in act 1. Tactician wants 2+ additional discard outlets, preferably with card draw, because it's a literally curse without them. Reflex is worse, and requires going deeper on discard. Because Acrobatics and Backflip are both good at filling up your hand already, energy winds up being a bigger bottleneck than cards.

Once you have some of the discard synergy cards like Sneaky Strike, Tactician, and Reflexes, or are lucky enough get a discard relic, THEN Tools of Trade starts to shine.

Calculated Gamble is more freeform and mostly just wants some card draw to be good. And it becomes insane with Eviscerate and/or Tactician.

Eviscerate is ok as your early game expensive damage card, sometime it will cost 2 and let you block with Survivor. But it really shines once you have a discard engine and a CG or two. It's more of a viable late game pickup than Sneaky Strike because you can spend all your energy on filtering without worrying about keeping 2 energy open.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Echoing that discard is a secondary effect of a lot of cards that say "discard." It's fun when it comes together, but i love just cycling and seeing extra cards with prepared+ or gamble. And I love eviscerate because it's just one card I have to remove later rather than the 2-4 lower end damage cards I might have to pick up to get through Act 1.

Three runs after my silent heartkill I got a defect win on the back of the madness + hologram + all for one infinite.

I'm attacking the spire like this mystery virus is pummeling my immune system, today

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I don't think acrobatics can be your first discard card, energy is just too precious in act 1 compared to card draw. In my experience your first card with the word discard on it will be dagger throw or sneaky strike. The energy generation of sneaky strike makes an early acro pickable.

Calculated gamble always goes hard though. It's basically always card draw neutral at worst and 0 energy.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The thing about A20 silent is the base deck is severely lacking in attack density

So once I get a few attack cards I'll start seriously considering acrobatics as a way to cycle past bust hands that are all block and actually get to my ~2 decent attack cards.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Acrobatics is a slam silent take for me regardless of where I find it. Energy is important but it’s also easy to fix that with 3 other silent cards and many relics. If you don’t solve energy, take 0 cost cards. It’s one of the biggest arm boosters in the game.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Hackan Slash posted:

I don't think acrobatics can be your first discard card, energy is just too precious in act 1 compared to card draw. In my experience your first card with the word discard on it will be dagger throw or sneaky strike. The energy generation of sneaky strike makes an early acro pickable.

Calculated gamble always goes hard though. It's basically always card draw neutral at worst and 0 energy.

counterpoint: acrobatics is fan-loving-tastic and you should grab nearly every one you're offered at all times

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Even in act 1, 2 energy spend on a non-starter card is often better than 3 energy on starter cards - think about predator and leg sweep vs strike/block.

Theres certainly some risk it's a dead draw, but given the synergies it opens up and the benefits it gives, I take acrobatics act 1 silent.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think it used to be a sort of acknowledged rule that you shouldn't spend energy purely on card draw in act 1 but I think that's gone by the wayside as far as Acrobatics goes

that said I've been running multiple silent runs and my number one concern at all times is getting any form of burst before I go for an Acrobatics

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

:itwaspoo:

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
There's also something to be said for what Acrobatics "is". It's a common card. It isn't true with all common cards... but it does seem like (I'd guess) when designing the game, the creators envisioned common cards being important for basic structure of that character's "typical deck style".

At least... some of the time at minimum.

Prepared also fits this sort of thought process too. I've come to very much love Prepared+, particularly when having Eviscerate.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Unpopular opinion: I think Infinite Blades can be alright. It's not a great card by any means, but it's 1 energy to deal at least 4 free damage every round thereafter, making it vaguely comparable to Ironclad's Combust (with no self-damage or AoE, granted, but it has its own synergies). It can be pretty good if you get your hands on Bird-Faced Urn, Mummified Hand, Kunai, Shuriken, Fan, or anything that buffs Shiv damage (including any source of plain old Strength). It's never going to be a slam pick, but if you transform into it or don't get any better options from an early pull, it can still give your deck a little early boost (you can wait around to play it before waking Lagavulin, and it doesn't anger Gremlin Nob) and it'll sometimes still be pulling its weight in Act 2 or even 3.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 30, 2022

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Patrick Spens posted:

Man I know that the game has gotten easier since I started playing, but it is wild how good some people are getting at it. Remember when Jorbs getting to 6-0 was impressive.

I don't think its gotten easier its just gotten more solved as streamers keep cracking at it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Feldegast42 posted:

I don't think its gotten easier its just gotten more solved as streamers keep cracking at it.

The last big balance patch had a lot of buffs, though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think silent specifically has gotten significantly more consistent and my recollection is she was always the weakest link in rotating streaks. People have for sure improved a lot but I dont think these scores would be possible with 2shiv silent.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Feldegast42 posted:

Patrick Spens is referring to one or more patches where cards were buffed; the latest balance patch is a couple years old now but it buffed a bunch of the worst Silent cards and a few Defect cards as well. Silent was a lot harder, before.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
is there a good way to transfer saves from my android device to my steam version? I wound up on a slay the spire spree during holiday downtime the past few weeks and now I am at A6 for all characters after having never really done harder StS stuff before. I don't want to do it all again on my steam version

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This is definitely one of my more fun heart kills

Just, so very accurate. A bottled tornado meant I drew at least accuracy+ on turn one, along with some ninja scroll shivs to use it with. And combined with wrist blade, terror and pen nib meant I was reliably stabbing elites to death with 30+ damage shivs within a few turns and wiped slime boss on turn one getting the "youre nothing to me" achievement. Then molten egg+blood vial meant picking up the bites was a no brainer since they were both free and upgraded.

Traded away molten egg at some point in act 2 since I didnt need more attacks getting in the way of drawing my shivs.

Donna and Decu I killed on turns 2/3 before they could really start hammering me.

The heart I expected to be tough since I was depending on murdering things quickly and lacked a decent block strategy but luckily I pulled 2x After Image from a potion which meant that I was gaining enough block per card to survive beat of death. Nearly didnt make it though since I killed it on 2 health.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 1, 2022

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Impermanent posted:

is there a good way to transfer saves from my android device to my steam version? I wound up on a slay the spire spree during holiday downtime the past few weeks and now I am at A6 for all characters after having never really done harder StS stuff before. I don't want to do it all again on my steam version
You can literally drag and drop the savedata folder with your phone plugged into the computer.

Because the Steam version is presumably more recent, you should be safe. I don't know if you can copy it back to Android though as that was last updated in May 2021.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

massive spider posted:

Traded away molten egg at some point in act 2 since I didnt need more attacks getting in the way of drawing my shivs.

What do you mean by trading a relic? Is it a mod or have I been missing a major game mechanic for the last 6 months?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tree Bucket posted:

What do you mean by trading a relic? Is it a mod or have I been missing a major game mechanic for the last 6 months?

Nloth

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ahh of course

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Unpopular opinion: I think Infinite Blades can be alright. It's not a great card by any means, but it's 1 energy to deal at least 4 free damage every round thereafter, making it vaguely comparable to Ironclad's Combust (with no self-damage or AoE, granted, but it has its own synergies). It can be pretty good if you get your hands on Bird-Faced Urn, Mummified Hand, Kunai, Shuriken, Fan, or anything that buffs Shiv damage (including any source of plain old Strength). It's never going to be a slam pick, but if you transform into it or don't get any better options from an early pull, it can still give your deck a little early boost (you can wait around to play it before waking Lagavulin, and it doesn't anger Gremlin Nob) and it'll sometimes still be pulling its weight in Act 2 or even 3.

I actually thought the same thing, so it's a slightly less unpopular opinion!

Absolute worst case if it becomes a liability later you can just remove it, but for Act 1 it seems like a perfectly cromulent source of damage even if it's not the absolute greatest pick.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Two brag screenshots on one page, but, after weeks of trying I got it

The powers deck thats so broken it beats awakened one with sheer obnoxiousness.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I just picked this up a few days ago when it was on sale. Is it normal for the 3rd level to really kick your rear end for a while?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

pro starcraft loser posted:

I just picked this up a few days ago when it was on sale. Is it normal for the 3rd level to really kick your rear end for a while?

Yes it's really hard at first! Post your decks if you'd like some advice.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

They vary too widely now. Something that is a bit annoying is that I've figured out how important blocking is, but I'll just get a terrible draw and take a bunch of damage without any way to avoid it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

pro starcraft loser posted:

They vary too widely now. Something that is a bit annoying is that I've figured out how important blocking is, but I'll just get a terrible draw and take a bunch of damage without any way to avoid it.

Yeah, you might be prioritizing block too low. But also, take more cards that draw cards, so that you're more likely to have block cards when you need it. And save potions to use in those moments where you get a bad draw (and buy them from shops if your potion belt is empty and you're heading in to rough territory).

Some enemies attack every turn, others do big attacks less frequently; being able to handle both of those situations can be hard. Like distortion park said, if you post your runs we can give more specific advice. Or you can just keep playing and learn more on your own, that's cool too :)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Even if you make all the best choices you still might get wrecked. - Picard

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If you have 2 hours to spare, Baalor put out a video on how to play Ironclad .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it doesn't take that long to say "pick every self damage card and pray for rupture to drop"