Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm way out of my league here, but would it work to pack the tube with sand (to keep it from buckling) and use a bender?

The bigger obstacle afaik would be finding a bender with the right dies for your 1"x3" tubing without spending a decent amount of cash. Though if youre gonna be making more of these itd probably be worth it long term.

Kinking is more of a problem when your bend radius is too tight for your material size/thickness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I don't have those kinds of resources, this is strictly a 4" grinder and harbor freight flux core welder, two-off situation

I suspect bending square tubular steel, especially not in a 1:1 ratio is going to be ..bad

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I don't have those kinds of resources, this is strictly a 4" grinder and harbor freight flux core welder, two-off situation

I suspect bending square tubular steel, especially not in a 1:1 ratio is going to be ..bad

If you've got way more time than money then something similar to the pie cut technique would probably give you the best result given the circumstances.

You cut triangular slices out of the tube leaving the 3" outside face intact. Simply bend at the thin remaining face. The more/smaller slices you take out the smoother the bend will be. All you need is your 4" grinder w/ a cutting wheel, decent layout, and a steady hand.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
yeah thats what I'd do, triangle cut the tube, bend and weld your cuts.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I've only been in the machining business for a year, but the speeds and feeds you can run face mills at keep surprising me. The inserts we use now can take a feed of 1.5mm/t on stainless. Crazy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dance Officer posted:

I've only been in the machining business for a year, but the speeds and feeds you can run face mills at keep surprising me. The inserts we use now can take a feed of 1.5mm/t on stainless. Crazy.

I am just learning the mill and this was a violent explosive surprise to me too. It turns out that a 1/4" endmill can not be run at the same speed as a huge face mill :downs:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

you wanna make big chips, go get your hands on a horizontal shaper

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Rutibex posted:

I am just learning the mill and this was a violent explosive surprise to me too. It turns out that a 1/4" endmill can not be run at the same speed as a huge face mill :downs:

Did you try to run an endmill on the same rpm as a face mill, or at the same cutting speed?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dance Officer posted:

Did you try to run an endmill on the same rpm as a face mill, or at the same cutting speed?

The rpm was far too slow and the feed rate was far too high. I'm sorry little end mill I didnt mean it :(

Now I know, I am not a Titans of CNC :ohdear:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Rutibex posted:

The rpm was far too slow and the feed rate was far too high. I'm sorry little end mill I didnt mean it :(

No you pretty much are, all that rear end in a top hat does is run endmills into metal at unrealistic speeds.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Couple weeks ago I didn't tighten my stop enough and my stock slid to the right. Did a .250" step over at .030" step over feeds and speeds, 1" depth of cut on a .5 em. That made a noise. It did it though!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Rutibex posted:

If you have ever once thought about whether you were climb or conventional milling while mowing your lawn, you are a member of the siblinghood of metal gods.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

shame on an IGA posted:

If you have ever once thought about whether you were climb or conventional milling while mowing your lawn, you are a member of the siblinghood of metal gods.

When the grass gets too tall, it’s time for troichoidal toolpaths…

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LightRailTycoon posted:

When the grass gets too tall, it’s time for troichoidal toolpaths…

If things get way out of hand, it's facemill (brush hog) time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

so in this analogy, what's the metalworking equivalent to a herd of goats

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Angle grinder?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yesterday I was doing some carving and the handle of my cheap hook knife came off. When I went to rivet it back together, even my good drill bits wouldn't cut the tang.

Because of reading this thread for the last while I knew how to heat the tang up to soften the steel without ruining the steel in the blade (torched the end of the tang where my mark was while keeping the blade in water) - thanks, thread! Keep it up!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SF Bay Area goons: California College of the Arts has closed its Oakland campus and is auctioning off a whole bunch of used equipment and supplies.
https://www.westauction.com/auction/online-auction-from-the-california-college-of-the-arts-3358
The online auction bidding starts tomorrow and runs through thursday; there's a 15% buyers premium, plus local sales tax, plus a rigging fee where applicable, so be aware of that when bidding. I see quite a bit of metalworking stuff.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I'm on holiday in Japan at the moment and took the opportunity to book a knife forging course at Asano Kajiya forge. Taro (the bladesmith) has been trained by and certified as a master bladesmith and katana forging blacksmith by the Japanese government, and runs a course during the weekdays for anyone who is interested.

It starts out with a small very rough shaped blank made from bar stock, and the student chooses how they want to shape the handle, tail and blade. You begin by forging out the handle, then the tail of the handle (I chose the snake tail which he was happy about), then began forging out the blade. We then final shaped the blade and put bevels on using a belt grinder (Taro does this as it's probably a safer bet and less risk to the student), and then stamp the initials on it, final shaping/smoothing with files and sharpening.

The photo I have is before final bevels and sharpening and filework was finished, I didn't get a chance to get a picture of it finished as I had to wrap it up for transport back to Australia.

All in all it was a fun day, it was about $660 AUD all inclusive of the time, materials and everything, it's cheaper per person if you do it with friends or family. He also provides lunch. I also got to watch one of his apprentices make a hardy for the anvil, and as I picked it up pretty quick had a bit of time at the end so he showed me how to hammer a small brass charm for my wife out of some brass bar stock.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Thats awesome! Did he teach you the secret hanzo 10000 folds techneque

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I wish :( it's only a day class but it was a load of fun. Hand cranked box bellows feeding a side feed charcoal forge, nice solid Sawyer's anvil. Nothing overly complex but I got a sick knife from it!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have finished my final project of Precision Metal Cutting for this semester. Here are all my projects! I learned how to use the manual lathe, milling machine, and surface grinder. I already knew how to use a bandsaw and drill press but we learned those too.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rutibex posted:

I have finished my final project of Precision Metal Cutting for this semester. Here are all my projects! I learned how to use the manual lathe, milling machine, and surface grinder. I already knew how to use a bandsaw and drill press but we learned those too.

Welcome, time for CNC! Not necessarily your fault but boy those are some ugly parts. Guessing teachers machines/tooling are clapped out or the steel is harder than mild. Mill and lathe both back cutting, drilled holes have burrs or deformation at edges, scribed lines everywhere but on center of the holes, other weird surface finish stuff and countersink is all chattered.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CarForumPoster posted:

Welcome, time for CNC! Not necessarily your fault but boy those are some ugly parts. Guessing teachers machines/tooling are clapped out or the steel is harder than mild. Mill and lathe both back cutting, drilled holes have burrs or deformation at edges, scribed lines everywhere but on center of the holes, other weird surface finish stuff and countersink is all chattered.

:negative:
Oh I know. I'm not gonna turn them around and show you the other side

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yooper posted:

I will stand corrected. I just remember the militant sales calls that were just ridiculous. Once I told them to gently caress off they just started calling someone else, then he told them to gently caress off, until they went through the whole shop.

Blacksmithing question. My kiddo (12) is getting some blacksmithing tools from Centaur for Christmas. I'm looking for some good first project ideas. Ideally something that can be knocked out in an afternoon. He wants to make battleaxes and swords, but I'm thinking more fire pokers or coat hangers.

Start with a medium sized round bar, take some of it to a smaller square, then take some of that to a smaller circle. This will teach them how to draw stuff out effectively and is pretty neat to have a nice taper.

Leaves!

Make a simple chisel from an old car coil spring.

But yeah little pokers are good, those ones I make from 3/8ths square bar I can knock out in 15-20 minutes, shouldn't take a beginner more than an hour. Dead simple, useful.

All pretty simple stuff, doesn't take forever.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Rutibex posted:

You should ship one of those products to me, so I can show it to my boss and tell him it's what I learn in school.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

CarForumPoster posted:

hey it's the exact thoughs going through my head when I'm dropping off/picking up parts at the anodize shop and looking at the all the other stuff that has been dropped off there from other machine shops.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

tylertfb posted:

hey it's the exact thoughs going through my head when I'm dropping off/picking up parts at the anodize shop and looking at the all the other stuff that has been dropped off there from other machine shops.

Every aluminum part except mirrors should be sandblasted and ano'd to hide my shame :colbert:

(Sandblast + anodize is how the "Apple" soft aluminum finish is done...though they do it much better that most can.)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

Every aluminum part except mirrors should be sandblasted and ano'd to hide my shame :colbert:

(Sandblast + anodize is how the "Apple" soft aluminum finish is done...though they do it much better that most can.)

the best finish for aluminum surfaces is crosshatched draw filing by hand

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

The best finish is jewelling with a drill press jewelling jig

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

I've been playing around with some mokume gane made from US quarters. I made this one for a white elephant christmas party and it turned out pretty so I wanted to share.
https://ibb.co/PMChFt5
https://ibb.co/hc7nZZD

I also wanted to ask the thread about potential patina or finishing ideas for something like this. I finished with 600 grit and gave it a little polish with a soft wheel on a dremel tool. I like it but I've see some crazy bright colorful patinas on copper, stuff with really vibrant greens and blues that I would really like to reproduce.

Anyone have ideas on cool copper/nickel finishes that I could play around with?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Finished knife:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Jove Tone posted:

I've been playing around with some mokume gane made from US quarters. I made this one for a white elephant christmas party and it turned out pretty so I wanted to share.

I also wanted to ask the thread about potential patina or finishing ideas for something like this. I finished with 600 grit and gave it a little polish with a soft wheel on a dremel tool. I like it but I've see some crazy bright colorful patinas on copper, stuff with really vibrant greens and blues that I would really like to reproduce.

If you want a sort of treatise on the subject - https://www.amazon.com/Colouring-Bronzing-Patination-Metals/dp/0823007626

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Thats pricey but perfect! Thanks!

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

McSpergin posted:

Finished knife:

Thats really nice! I would love to learn from a master in person like that. Youtube is really helpful but there's nothing like first person experience.

Edit: here's one I made this fall
https://ibb.co/nwGJZM7

Jove Tone fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 6, 2022

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Jove Tone posted:

Thats pricey but perfect! Thanks!

Here’s another source for you. They sell chemicals too, I think I bought from them a long time ago for a project.

https://www.sciencecompany.com/Patina-Formulas-for-Brass-Bronze-and-Copper.aspx

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

Jove Tone posted:

I had some fun doing patinas on silicon bronze (~95% pure Cu).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973931

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Jove Tone posted:

Thats really nice! I would love to learn from a master in person like that. Youtube is really helpful but there's nothing like first person experience.

Edit: here's one I made this fall
https://ibb.co/nwGJZM7

Idk where you live but I could honestly highly recommend it. The forge is Asano Kajiya, he runs courses through his website. You just need to book a few weeks in advance and obviously travel to Japan but there's a great hotel about 10 minutes' walk from the place. His son picks you up from the local Shinkansen station and they feed you lunch as well

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

DC to Daylight posted:

I had some fun doing patinas on silicon bronze (~95% pure Cu).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973931

What a cool thread, I really enjoyed reading that little journey! I'm not making anything near the size of those bowls but it has me side eyeing my propane weeburner/torch for use in future projects.

I've been reading around on the internet and I may try sealing a copper piece in a container with some salt and an ammonia soaked rag or sawdust and a little water. I'll leave it for 24 hours and see what I get.

McSpergin posted:

Idk where you live but I could honestly highly recommend it. The forge is Asano Kajiya, he runs courses through his website. You just need to book a few weeks in advance and obviously travel to Japan but there's a great hotel about 10 minutes' walk from the place. His son picks you up from the local Shinkansen station and they feed you lunch as well

I'll look it up! That really sounds awesome!
In the meantime, I fortunately live in an area with a great community of artists. Even our local community college has some blacksmithing classes which I'm taking advantage of! They have a really nice studio with brand new anvils/nc works forges and a big rear end power hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

New machine day!