Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a buff. More time on the bike :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So my riding experience is entirely my MT03 and whatever i rode in my msf over a decade ago. Today I got to ride a 2014 FZ1 for a short stint. It was ~wildly~ different.

-It was heavy. Both in a cumbersome way (bad) and in a substantial way (good).
-The controls felt like precision instruments. I teleported myself from ~30 to 70+ a few times and it felt like I barely moved the throttle tube (which is the case i assume considering the capability of the bike).
-Brakes felt great too.
-The fork inside an immovable fairing messed with my brain at first
-Revving an inline 4 is HELLA smooth, wow.
-Shifting down didn't upset this bike at all and clutch felt really nice.
-No weird jerkiness in the throttle at very low speeds/at take off.

When I got back on my bike, it felt like a toy version of a motorcycle. But overall I prefer revving the nuts off my little bike.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 23, 2022

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

How fast did you go?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

We were on flowy back roads that were full of snowbirds :argh: so probably hit 80 something at one point before there were 3 slow moving out of state plates in front of me.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Season is pretty much over in upstate NY, weather was very rideable through early Nov. Got out to a few state parks during peak fall, was nice. Haven't died. I think I want an SV650 for the track.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Russian Bear posted:

-The controls felt like precision instruments. I teleported myself from ~30 to 70+ a few times and it felt like I barely moved the throttle tube (which is the case i assume considering the capability of the bike).

-Revving an inline 4 is HELLA smooth, wow.

-Shifting down didn't upset this bike at all and clutch felt really nice.

Russian Bear posted:

We were on flowy back roads that were full of snowbirds :argh: so probably hit 80 something at one point before there were 3 slow moving out of state plates in front of me.

From your description you could've left it in 2nd gear for your entire ride. Did you ever get the revs over 8k RPM? That's where that motor lights up

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

From your description you could've left it in 2nd gear for your entire ride. Did you ever get the revs over 8k RPM? That's where that motor lights up

Yeah in first a couple times, it did really start singing around 7-8k. Also you’re correct in that I didn’t even get out of 3rd gear, which highlights the problem with this level of power for me. Unless you have a track or open highway, I don’t get the point since I don’t ride on either. I like that it exists, but for my kind of riding I wouldn’t consider it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I've ridden a pile of the earlier carbed ones and owned a r1 based on that same mill. Your experience pretty much sums em up.
Feels like wielding a dreadnaught till the tach ticks over 8 ish grand where you get this hand of torque from the hulk hisself propelling the fucker along.
The power delivery is a little less frantic than the R6 and the FZ1 is a little less frantic than the R1 but it never gets old nor is it easy to acclimate to how dumb of a bike those really are in terms of power.
It feels heavy as all hell in low speeds but eats miles on the highway like a luxury land yacht.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I bought an SV and took a bad photo.

It's very clean and has 6500km on the clock. Tires are factory and not great but should last a season unless they ride like poo poo. I would have preferred a rougher, cheaper bike but this is what I ended up with. The muffler will be reverted to stock but the plate holder can stay. It's going straight into storage until spring which sucks but it's too nice to be pickled in road salt just yet.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Invalido posted:

I bought an SV and took a bad photo.

It's very clean and has 6500km on the clock. Tires are factory and not great but should last a season unless they ride like poo poo. I would have preferred a rougher, cheaper bike but this is what I ended up with. The muffler will be reverted to stock but the plate holder can stay. It's going straight into storage until spring which sucks but it's too nice to be pickled in road salt just yet.

Awesome. Are you somewhere that's too cold to ride in winter? If you hose it off after riding it goes a long way to preventing corrosion. NB it also makes massive ice patches on your driveway.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
It depends entirely on the winter. Some are mild and some are too cold and icy. There was mad snow a week ago but now the streets are clear and it's above freezing so it's rideable. If I get the urge it will be on the learner bike, I won't sell it before spring. It has heated grips and I don't love her quite as much as I used to, all of a sudden. Strange how that happened. Road salt can mostly be hosed off, but it's a hassle. Also salt spray sticks to the visor which sucks. I don't think I'll make it to spring without at least some riding though, weather permitting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How stock is that paint? Never seen one with a red frame either, not to say that doesn't exist.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slavvy posted:

How stock is that paint? Never seen one with a red frame either, not to say that doesn't exist.

Apparently the red and black scheme was part of the 2020 facelift. The seller's ad was all "UNIQUE PAINT COMBINATION SUPER RARE!!!11" so I guess it might be uncommon. It looks way better IRL than in my (or his) crappy photos.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think you should put a Ducati sticker on the side and go annoy a bunch of purists

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I think you should put a gladius sticker on the side and go annoy a bunch of purists

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Both are good suggestions. Gladius stickers would be kind of great actually. I don't want to annoy anyone with my hobby though which is why I'm reverting the muffler to stock even if the aftermarket one sounds pretty good from what little I've heard of it.
The only farkles I consider important are heated grips and a topbox. Oh yeah a phone mount for navigation too I guess, now that I finally have room for one. Other than that I'm just gonna ride it as much as I can and enjoy it like it is and try not to feel too bad when it inevitably gets scratched and dinged up from use.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've been a fan of the SP Connect phone mounts, they're very compact.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've been using various RAM mounts for almost 15 years, though have been wondering lately if I'm one redline away from nuking the IS/AF in my phone without some kind of vibration dampening.

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
I simply memorize my route instantly and perfectly and never pull into a gas station to check my phone. At least until my second attempt at ordering a mounting system that fits my RE Continental arrives in the mail.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
We’ve gone full quadlock in this house. On all the motorbikes, a few of the bicycles, and there’s one mounted in the van.

I’ve caught a phone falling out of a ram mount, but never had issues with quadlock.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Geekboy posted:

We’ve gone full quadlock in this house. On all the motorbikes, a few of the bicycles, and there’s one mounted in the van.

I’ve caught a phone falling out of a ram mount, but never had issues with quadlock.

If you use the right phone mounts on the RAM ball it's fine. I've used the phone specific mounts for a long time, they cradle the phone tightly and worked great:

But they seem to be getting away from making these as every time I've gotten a new phone it's been longer and longer of a wait for the mount to come out, and they still don't have one for the non-max 14 Pro. So I went with this one:

It's rock solid and I think it would take a pretty severe crash for the phone to come out of it. Very firm clamping from top to bottom, and you can adjust the sides in as well. I'd never ever use the cheap looking X grip one though, no way I'd trust that on a bike

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Does the RAM mount have vibration dampening? If not you certainly don't want to be using a new phone with it. I looked on their site and could not tell. They do warn against it, but I don't see their solution.

"Exposure to vibrations, like those generated by high-powered motorcycle engines, might impact iPhone cameras. Click here to learn more."

At some point it will and it will break your camera.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I've had the google lady in my ear which has worked pretty good. I haven't found a satisfactory solution for making a complicated multi-waypoint route over interesting rural twisties I want to explore that doesn't involve me stopping after every waypoint and getting the phone out to continue onto the next one. I've tried getting a different app than google maps and I'm pretty sure there's a way to get Osmand to do what I want but I can't figure out how.

I don't know what IS/AF but I've heard tales of cameras getting messed up from vibration. I figure if it ever happens to me I'll dedicate a phone for handlebar duty, possibly a waterproof one.
I've had great success with this style of phone mount on my bicycles (which all have a much harsher ride than any motorcycle I've ever ridden) in the past:

You crank down gutentight on the knurled screw and it holds the phone like in a vise. There are little rubber pads you can put in the claws that compress but I always have my phone in a bumper case to I just squeeze that for a little elasticity. Apart from being rock solid they're small when not in use, also pretty cheap. Bro has one on his SV but it's not sitting at a great angle so I'm gonna try to fabricobble some kind of adapter to get it to sit where I want. If that doesn't work out I'll explore other options.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I keep my phone in my jacket so in the event of a crash my phone isn’t smashed to pieces and/or 100’ down the side of a cliff. 99% of the time, I’m just riding in a big circle, so I don’t need navigation.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

No matter how good the vibration dampening that’s advertised(it’s untested bullshit imo), your motorcycle is slowly killing your phone camera if it’s on the bars. Best bet would be an old lovely phone that you can tether to your good phone in your pocket.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I would not really even trust the Quad lock dampening on a $1k phone.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Rusty posted:

Does the RAM mount have vibration dampening? If not you certainly don't want to be using a new phone with it. I looked on their site and could not tell. They do warn against it, but I don't see their solution.

"Exposure to vibrations, like those generated by high-powered motorcycle engines, might impact iPhone cameras. Click here to learn more."

At some point it will and it will break your camera.

I dunno about the RAM but for the one I got you can stick in a vibration reducing thing. We will see long term but no issues with my iPhone after a fair bit of use.

This thing https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s1/product/sp-connect-anti-vibration-module-mobile-device-car-accessories-15759812

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

I keep my phone in my jacket so in the event of a crash my phone isn’t smashed to pieces and/or 100’ down the side of a cliff. 99% of the time, I’m just riding in a big circle, so I don’t need navigation.

Came to say exactly this. In my mind, if you need navigation, it’s worth springing for a GPS device on a handlebar Ram mount and leave your phone in your inner jacket pocket. If your phone gets damaged there, you’re probably in no shape to use it anyway.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

If I ever get a GPS or similar I’ll probably mount it with a RAM system, but we’ve accumulated a good 7,500 miles or more between different vehicles with no issues on quadlock mounts.

Way more than that if you count the van, which I don’t.

Not saying concerns aren’t valid or that I haven’t been watching for anything to pop up, but so far so good for us.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All phones with mechanical/optical image stabilization in their cameras will be damaged by vibrations eventually. If it hasn't happened to you yet, either your phone doesn't have that feature or you're just lucky so far. It's an inevitable consequence of continuously shaking around something with tiny moving parts inside.

If you need navigation while you're riding, get a dedicated GPS, a helmet speaker set, a Beeline, or an apple watch.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

opengl posted:

I'd never ever use the cheap looking X grip one though, no way I'd trust that on a bike

I use this one on a ram mount on my DR. I keep an older iPhone loaded up with offline Google maps, topos, and alltrails. The mount has a rubber retainer with a loop that goes around each corner of the phone so it won't fall out. I don't care about the camera on that phone so I'm not concerned about vibrations. I've never had an issue with it at all.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Spouse lost a phone on a ram mount a long time ago on a dual sport trip but that was long before the rubber retainer strap. It didn't stop me from using one at the time. Hobos in SF would run up and grab your poo poo off the bars while waiting at a traffic light and run off. Didn't happen to me but a coworker.

It did cause some damage to usb charging ports and phone camera image stabilizer hardware though. Like others said use a beater device.
I still run one in my vehicle but haven't on a bike in years.

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
Guy at the gear store was demonstrating how solid ram mounts are by shaking a mount with his phone in it and the phone immediately shook loose. I’m sure they’re solid for their intended use, but come on man, rehearse that before trying it on customers.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

If you need navigation while you're riding, get a

tankbag with a window and a paper map :okboomer:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Phy posted:

Sagebrush posted:

If you need navigation while you're riding, get a
tankbag with a window and a paper map printed out mapquest directions :okboomer:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Didn't think about how much colder it would be in a wooded area when I went for a ride the other day and did an uncomfortable amount of fishtailing. Turned off as soon as I could and took the highway back home.

I'm sure I annoyed some people behind me, but I got home safe so I don't care.

There are plenty of safe days still in the PNW, but I'm glad I got the reminder to pick my routes very carefully until the spring on a road I knew rather than out in the boonies.

Kept the throttle even, braked carefully. Didn't panic. It made me thankful for every minute I spent practicing.

I'm working on getting a tiny bike to compliment my "get out of town" bike so I can push myself more.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Were you trying to ride the Germantown area?

It's been above freezing south of town, so unless it's dumping I'm still commuting but freezing temps will put a damper on that.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I almost took the little honda to work this morning but ended up going by car for reasons. It rained last night and solid positive centigrades were promised for days and nights ahead so I figured the salt would be washed away and the city wouldn't lay down new salt in a hurry. This happened. What also happened is that it went way colder than forecast, and fast. It was real icy driving home and I was glad to have four wheels and proper winter tires. Last year I rode well into december but it's not looking good for the rest of 2022.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

Were you trying to ride the Germantown area?

It's been above freezing south of town, so unless it's dumping I'm still commuting but freezing temps will put a damper on that.

That was exactly where I didn’t think through going, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Well, time to update the thread from my relatively short lived time in here. Hopefully this serves as a real life warning to other newbies that what everyone tells you is very true and to never ever take other drivers for granted

I took my local MSF course in May of this year, and purchased my 2006 Ninja 500 shortly after around June

Between June and October I clocked a few thousand miles on the bike, learned a lot about upkeep and maintenance and generally had a lot of fun learning on this bike. I was already looking forward to 2023 and if I was going to keep this bike or look at an upgrade

My riding varied between commuting to work, puttering around local streets, longish distance trips (3 hour+) to visit family, and that sort of thing.

October 16th I left work and headed home, I had planned to hop on the bike once I got home for a little jaunt around town, grab a coffee and relax in the parking lot before my wife got home from work.

The last thing I remember clearly is leaving work to go home.

The police tell me I was travelling east on a normal 2 lane road, there was a minivan stopped on the south side at a controlled stop sign intersection. The driver decided to pull out directly in-front of me and I hit the drivers side of the vehicle, where I was ejected 50 feet

I was wearing all the gear I normally would, full face helmet, gloves, pants with hip and knee protection, and jacket with spine padding

The result of all that was of course a lengthy hospital stay of almost 4 weeks, injuries boiled down to - Cuts on my face from the impact, a brain bleed, right knee all 4 ligaments were completely torn, and a blood clot in my knee.

I'm happy to say I am much better, the brain bleed and blood clot were resolved over time with medicine, the knee I had surgery on and am now recovering from, the rest is fine.

The bike was / is being written off as totaled (I saw one picture of it and it was basically a pretzel) , please don't get me wrong I am not putting all this down to discourage anyone, I think this is more of a cathartic release for me really so something I had to put down on paper.

I don't think I will ever ride again, either because my family would disown me for the hardship they've been through as a result, or my wife would leave me

Stay safe everyone and never take your eyes off the road or those on it with you, they cannot be trusted for a millisecond

Police tell me there is a video of the accident I assume from a local business or house facing the street, that I want to see so I know exactly how it all went down!