Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Does the SD ship in a box that discloses what's inside?

I live in an... inexpensive... apartment complex, so if it's clear that it's Expensive Electronics I'll probably ship it to my mom's house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Annath posted:

I live in an... inexpensive... apartment complex, so if it's clear that it's Expensive Electronics I'll probably ship it to my mom's house.

Unless Valve has changed something recently, yes, it does, somewhat. If you know what the Steam Deck is, you might figure out what it is from the box, but people who don't probably wont.

Image stolen from a random Redit post

Veotax fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 30, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Annath posted:

The box was not subtle at all when I got mine under two months ago. It doesn't have a picture on it, but it's covered in tech/battery warnings.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

njsykora posted:

It’s also not competition, it’s more the 3DO structure of multiple manufacturers making devices for the same ecosystem. Only now it’s more other companies making devices to accommodate people with Deck issues. So if you want a smaller deck, a higher res screen deck or more powerful deck those are all available with potentially the same software experience. They’re just not made by Valve and won’t be the dominant device in the space.

My biggest issue with other devices, outside of price, is that no matter what you put SteamOS on, it won't be as feature rich and perfectly tuned for the hardware that Valve themselves puts out. Hell, there isn't another device like this that even has trackpads and that's a must for me. However, it is cool that there's just a variety of devices that suit a ton of people's needs but being that they'll all be double or triple the price of the Deck it almost doesn't even matter.

Annath posted:

No, it has a companion cube on it and the shipper will say "VALVE" but unless a thief is in the know looking specifically for a Steam Deck nothing says "Hot electronic inside!"

edit: Well, I forgot about the battery stickers, so that might get looks. Nevermind me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lockback posted:

Thats called PC Gaming.

It sure is, and so

History Comes Inside! posted:

If it gets fragmented like PCs already are it would lose most of what makes it really cool.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

bloodychill posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for good city builders/sims that work well on the Deck? After playing with the Deck for a few months, I've found that generally stuff that isn't reliant at all on having a mouse cursor works best so the city builder I've enjoyed the most is the relatively simple Kingdoms and Castles. Honestly I do not know how people are playing Rimworld on this thing.
I don't think there are any proper fully featured city builders that work well on a gamepad.

I played a bunch of mini motorways on switch. Simpler stuff like that is prolly your best bet for that kind of game unless you're willing to go super deep into custom contol layouts or w/e.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Dorfromantik is perfect on the deck

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think you're best off just getting used to mousing, then everything is perfect on the deck. Anno 1800? Great on the deck.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I used to think rimworld on deck was awkward compared to the console version but once I reduced the sensitivity of the touch pad and got used to combining it with the trigger, I actually prefer it.

Also the Deck is aaaallmost perfect but if you are getting near sighted like me (:corsair:) there’s just no sweet spot between holding it close enough to see well or at a distance that makes your neck and arms ache. I wish the screen were a little bit bigger TBCH.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

homeless snail posted:

I think you're best off just getting used to mousing, then everything is perfect on the deck. Anno 1800? Great on the deck.

Yep Cities Skylines on a Steam Controller was great

Doctor Zero posted:

Also the Deck is aaaallmost perfect but if you are getting near sighted like me (:corsair:) there’s just no sweet spot between holding it close enough to see well or at a distance that makes your neck and arms ache. I wish the screen were a little bit bigger TBCH.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jokes posted:

If there was a more intuitive file storage system I would feel a lot more confident about saying that linux is a better gaming experience than windows. i always feel a little confused about the 'home' or 'var' storage and all those things, because ive been trained to recognize C:/ paths.
It's not too bad:
  • /home/deck is your "home directory" which is where everything gets installed for the Deck's "user" account on the internal SSD.
  • /run/media/mmcblk0p1 is the SD card.
  • /var/lib/flatpak is where flatpaks are installed if you install flatpaks as "system".
Everything else is part of the Steam OS image and you can ignore. You also rarely need to go into /var/lib/flatpak--the only time I've done is when I'm digging up an icon for a flatpak app that I'm trying to setup in Steam as a non-Steam game. And this assumes you're installing them as system flatpaks instead of user.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I know most people don't have any reason to give it a serious try usually but I've been a Windows user since I've first started using computers until maybe 3 years ago when I decided to give Linux a go and I've gotten used to it to the same degree I've been used to Windows before. It's literally a habit like any other :shrug: Luckily I've found many things easier and I now prefer it so unless a game doesn't run on Linux I usually don't even boot to Windows anymore.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Doctor Zero posted:

Maybe the Nreal Airs would help in this regard.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Mescal posted:

yeah, i don't use the thing docked like at all because it's not worth the effort pairing a controller if i'm not sure it'll work. i want to use it for couch co-op, but i guess pairing two controllers just doesn't work at all and i'm baffled because i consider that basic funtionality. apparently so few people want to play local multiplayer that almost no one is even complaining about it online when you search for it.
:dafuq:
That's why I run steam os preview version. It works on it for my target brand guilikit king Kong 2s that are technically switch controllers, and I can pair with ps5 or Xbox pro elite ii at the same time to play with my wife. But I just stick with the guilikit because other controllers stick drift and wear out from my rocket league habit, so I got 3.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

sigher posted:

Maybe the Nreal Airs would help in this regard.

Whoa! I had no idea those were A Thing!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

and they'll also be way more expensive because they can't sell them at a loss like valve can.

Do we know what the BOM cost is for them? Selling at a material loss doesn’t sound very Valve to me for some reason.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I don't know if that's true, but consoles make it up on the games and meta quest 2 or whatever the same, I don't see why not for the deck.

Even though the quest 2 price went up you could in theory cost Facebook money by using it strictly for pcvr

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Subjunctive posted:

Do we know what the BOM cost is for them? Selling at a material loss doesn’t sound very Valve to me for some reason.

the accepted reddit wisdom last time I was it was that the 64 gig model was more or less at cost and the others were profitable but lol gamers

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I don't know if that's true, but consoles make it up on the games and meta quest 2 or whatever the same, I don't see why not for the deck.

Even though the quest 2 price went up you could in theory cost Facebook money by using it strictly for pcvr

Yeah Valve own the primary storefront on the Deck and take a cut of everything you buy on there. The Quest 2 didn't make money on software because no-one bought games on there, they just used it to play VRChat, Rec Room and Echo VR all of which are free to play games if they weren't just connecting it to a PC and playing stuff bought on Steam.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Quest 2 wasn't sold at a loss at launch, but I don't know if it started to get that way with increases in supplier pricing during its lifetime.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

the accepted reddit wisdom last time I was it was that the 64 gig model was more or less at cost and the others were profitable but lol gamers

Gabe described the pricing as "painful", but that could mean any number of things. I expect that their margins are very tight, but I would be surprised they were actually selling for less than manufacturing+shipping cost.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Quest 2 wasn't sold at a loss at launch, but I don't know if it started to get that way with increases in supplier pricing during its lifetime.

The Quest 2 was 100% sold at a loss, they cut down the parts as much as possible from the Quest 1 (simpler headband, cheaper plastic, LED screen instead of OLED) but still were losing money per headset. Nintendo is basically the only console manufacturer who doesn't sell hardware at a loss.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
I'm not sure at all if this will ever actually happen but I'd like to think devs and publishers will now be always seriously thinking about how best to optimise their settings for the Deck going forward, considering how successful it's been.

I'd love to be able to play future titles on my main computer and then pick up again on Deck without feeling significant drawback. I mean, I'm really nitpicking as most of the games I play run extremely well on Deck.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

njsykora posted:

The Quest 2 was 100% sold at a loss

Do you have a source for that? My contacts at Oculus at the time said that it was at cost like the Quest and Rift before it. (Treating the R&D to develop it as costing zero, of course.)

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I'm not happy with rocket league performance on docked deck, but then again anything but my PC doesn't make me happy either. I need minimal input lag.

I suppose it could be my TV, I'll have to try docking my deck on my new PC monitor.

Don't get me wrong it runs fine, but I feel a delay on jumps and flips that I don't on my PC and because of what I'm used to it really messes with me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The TV have a game mode option?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Also maybe jump into the Preview build of SteamOS and you can turn Screen Tearing off (it's on by default on Deck) which will lower the input delay.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

sigher posted:

Also maybe jump into the Preview build of SteamOS and you can turn Screen Tearing off (it's on by default on Deck) which will lower the input delay.

I think it's turning on "Allow Screen Tearing."

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Seems like halfway decent odds as these things go with as long as the show is.

quote:

In celebration of The Game Awards, Steam Deck now being in stock, and gaming in general, we will be giving away one one 512GB Steam Deck every minute during the live airing of The Game Awards. Enter below for your chance to win!

US, EU, UK, Canada only. Full details/registration/cute animated sticker:

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/thegameawardssteamdeckdrop2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

Then it’s not really a deck anymore, it’s some other new thing that’ll run games differently and I immediately check out because the question of “does it work on steam deck” now doesn’t have a straightforward answer it becomes ‘maybe’.

If it runs SteamOS and has an AMD SoC/APU then compatibility should be nearly identical. It'll get more weird once (if?) Intel graphics starts seeing serious use, Nvidia isn't likely to happen for (PC) handhelds.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 1, 2022

PuertoRicanBarber
Nov 26, 2022

Yeesh Nintendo sucks at making consoles and yet their first party games are amazing
I couldn’t find it anywhere in the thread but im sure it’s in there somewhere any steam deck owners have experience with Yuzu? Thinking of picking a deck up to avoid the lovely Nintendo hardware and want to know if emulation on the Steam Deck does an admirable job

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mr Phillby posted:

I don't think there are any proper fully featured city builders that work well on a gamepad.

I played a bunch of mini motorways on switch. Simpler stuff like that is prolly your best bet for that kind of game unless you're willing to go super deep into custom contol layouts or w/e.

I’ll take a look. I don’t mind playing relatively simple city builders if they’re fun. Games like Kingdoms and Castles and Sim City 2000 are still totally fun if not as complex as modern fully featured sims.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Titan Quest is eating all my old emulator time lol. Only downside is that the controller ui only allows for eight options on the dpad and two on active buttons, but probably not an issue for my pet build

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PuertoRicanBarber posted:

Yeesh Nintendo sucks at making consoles and yet their first party games are amazing
I couldn’t find it anywhere in the thread but im sure it’s in there somewhere any steam deck owners have experience with Yuzu? Thinking of picking a deck up to avoid the lovely Nintendo hardware and want to know if emulation on the Steam Deck does an admirable job

If you want to do it the LEGAL way, you need to buy a Switch and use your own console's code to make it work. Aside from that, I've heard it runs pretty well. I intend to try it when mine arrives although I don't really have a need to.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Buy a switch

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983835

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

i wouldn't pick it up with the intention to use it to play emulated switch games, or at least not as the primary reason to get it. some of the games run pretty well with a bit of tinkering, some of them run like poo poo (as in, worse than the switch version lol), some of them don't work at all. it's a bit of a crapshoot. though i'd guess most of the really popular games have lots of guides and support for making them run.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

if you really want to play switch games at a better experience than the switch itself, this is not the machine to get

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

That said, Wii U games generally run well and many of the best switch games are Wii U ports (BoTW, Mario Kart 8, and Bayonetta 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mario Kart 8 switch runs really well on the deck imo, but I’m also old with bad eyes and don’t care about playing regular games at 30fps so might just be easily pleased.