Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

drinking some tea

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

how do you keep loving up this badly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they crave attention and are ok with it being negative.

---

Moving on: finishing up a hearty italian dinner and it's early enough that i'm going to enjoy some moka pot here in a minute

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

coffee after dinner is so good and I wish it didn't ruin any chance of sleeping well for me

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
if you go to sleep before it kicks in you get focus up+ in your dreams

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

aw frig aw dang it posted:

coffee after dinner is so good and I wish it didn't ruin any chance of sleeping well for me

theres nothing wrong with having a decaf after dinner

yeah i fuckign said it

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
dug out the electric kettle and french press and gonna give em a whirl for my morning joe tomorrow. excited, it's been 6-7 years since i bothered!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
hell yeah get in there

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Corla Plankun posted:

i ran out of coffee filters and have been doing a french press for a few days. i'm honestly pretty over it. i miss my nice clean pourovers that don't punish me with mudmouth when i forget and try to drink the whole cuppa

Use some paper towels/kitchen roll. It works pretty well

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looking to replace/upgrade my Cuisinart burr grinder, any recommendations? Preferably something compact that can do 30g in a go, handheld is ok too.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i used a fancy burr grinder for years and then switched to a blade grinder and imo there's absolutely no difference at all and blade grinders are way faster and easier to clean

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/josiahhughes/status/1597615722980552704?s=46&t=M5DCnm_DFkuyFLr2wL6O4A

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

thinking of making coffee this morning. crazy stuff

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Podima posted:

Looking to replace/upgrade my Cuisinart burr grinder, any recommendations? Preferably something compact that can do 30g in a go, handheld is ok too.

i have a 1zpresso hand grinder and it works pretty well, but i always grumble at how much it cost. i went from a cheap electric burr grinder to the 1zpresso and the biggest difference is consistency of adjustments. if i want one grind setting for coffee A and a different grind setting for coffee B, the 1zpresso setting is always consistent. i could never get that to work with the electric grinder so i'd always waste coffee trying to figure out which grind setting works this time. i'd imagine this was largely due to the plastic adjustment system in the electric grinder.

Note that this is for espressos. If im doing a mr coffee i just pull out the electric grinder and let it do whatever and its totally fine.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Podima posted:

What kind of coffee are you grinding for? It's easier & cheaper to get something that can do pourover and drip than it is to get something for espresso.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

i used a fancy burr grinder for years and then switched to a blade grinder and imo there's absolutely no difference at all and blade grinders are way faster and easier to clean

how do those refillable k-cups hold up?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

aw frig aw dang it posted:

What kind of coffee are you grinding for? It's easier & cheaper to get something that can do pourover and drip than it is to get something for espresso.

this is for pourover, I use a hario v60

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
30g in a v60 is insane how are you not dead

anwyays just get The Kyocera Burr Grinder, they sell it cheaper without the name on it too. mine's done a thousand cups over the past 7 years and is still perfect. A little bit of crankin' first thing in the morning invigorates and rejuvenates

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Podima posted:

this is for pourover, I use a hario v60

You could get a Baratza Encore for $130 USD and it'll likely last until you wear out the burrs (many years), and even if something breaks they sell every part for it on their website. In the same vein, there's the Capresso Infinity for around a hundred bucks, although I don't have personal experience with that one. Neither are the most compact thing though, and probably won't be any smaller than your Cuisinart. If you want compact and are okay spending more money, I recently got a Fellow Ode that works great for pourover and is incredibly fast, although it's messy and closer to $300.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

30g in a v60 is insane how are you not dead

30g bean to 500g water is good op

also thank you all for the recs!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Midjack posted:

how do you keep loving up this badly?

it's funny and makes me chuckle

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

you will pay a steep price for your teasing.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

:argh:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

How often do you all clean your burr grinders? I recently made the switch from blade and it’s super nice (the consistency, and I feel like a slightly better taste but could just be confirmation bias), but.. I haven’t cleaned it in over a month >_<

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have used mine daily for four years and never cleaned it. if you run out of coffee just run some hot water through it, boom, emergency cup

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I heard you’re supposed to run salt through it to clean it

I’ve never tried this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The little bit of stale coffee that comes out everytime you grind beans is supposed to be a treat.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The little bit of stale coffee that comes out everytime you grind beans is supposed to be a treat.

quote:

treat

get their rear end foo

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

I heard you’re supposed to run salt through it to clean it

I’ve never tried this

same but rice, I used to buy cleaning tablet things for my burr grinder but got kinda dispirited by having to grind waste coffee for a few rounds afterward to clear out all the stuff.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i'm ooloning for some afternoon coffee

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Waifu Radia posted:

How often do you all clean your burr grinders? I recently made the switch from blade and it’s super nice (the consistency, and I feel like a slightly better taste but could just be confirmation bias), but.. I haven’t cleaned it in over a month >_<

Cat Face Joe posted:

he'll yeah grinder resin

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I put the beans in the grinder and then I put the grounds in the mister coffee. so easy

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Waifu Radia posted:

they make cleaning tablets for 'em and if you want to you could run those through every couple months or so. most manufacturers will say not to use rice but also you can probably just use rice instead

edit: but the answer is I almost never bother lol
if the coffee starts tasting weird or I feel real gung-ho about it I will, but otherwise nah

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've never cleaned my grinder and I've had it for years

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
certain beans like to stick to the bottom part of the grinder so i'll brush that off when it happens but thats about it.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I pop off the face place and top burr and give it a good brushing

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

i like to drink coffee

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hell yeah same

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
coffe is good. had my third cup (probably done for the day) a bit ago

Radia
Jul 14, 2021