Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football or Football?
Real :911: Football
Fake-o Euro Soccer
View Results

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

tyler adams is the man of every u.s. match imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

G-Hawk posted:

He absolutely is but Dest isn't far behind

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

G-Hawk posted:

He was rock solid, no disagree. They have about 4-5 actual studs on this team, which is a first ever for USSF, and I think we all know who they are.

Your boy stanning for his boy here. eh try this https://twitter.com/fiascoknowsball/status/1597714027282837504/photo/1

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

This poo poo is hilarious https://sports.yahoo.com/christian-pulisic-called-his-world-cup-shot-and-usmnt-devised-the-exact-play-to-make-it-happen-011209045.html

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I've been highly skeptical of Dest in the past, but he's been really good in the WC, and has gotten progressively better in each game.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

If only that bald fraud would give Reyna Jr. some minutes....
Maybe he pulled kind of a John Harkes but instead after they got to Qatar Gregg learned Gio screwed one of his adult children.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Mr. Mambold posted:

I thought it was close enough for a review. He basically played like crap, but scored what would have been a wonderful goal, which is a striker's only job really. Play like poo poo, stay the gently caress onside, score, reap profits.

[Dest was man of the match, imo. This is prime Serge Dest, dangerous whenever he had the ball at his feet, two-way all over the pitch until he ran out of gas. Carter-Vickers was a massive improvement over Zimmerman, who should be a last 10 minute guy from now on. If at all.

If only that bald fraud would give Reyna Jr. some minutes....

:emptyquote:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Goddammit i could be a hugely successful football writer in the US, just explain basic aspects of the game as your analysis and pretend to be some wizened svengali of the game

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Crazy Ted posted:

Maybe he pulled kind of a John Harkes but instead after they got to Qatar Gregg learned Gio screwed one of his adult children.

I will not be convinced by anything other than sworn testimony from all parties that Gio didn't gently caress Gregg's wife.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

I will not be convinced by anything other than sworn testimony from all parties that Gio didn't gently caress Gregg's wife.
As an aside, learning what Harkes actually did all those years after the fact was incredible.

I mean, he wasn't just loving Wynalda's wife but in one instance he shot over there while Wynalda was gone and the two went at while the kids were still in the house but taking a nap.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Happy to see big Carter-Vickers playing well, he is cool and good

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Antonee Robinson was terrible yesterday, bad touches from him probably stopped half a dozen promising US counterattacks.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Shrapnig posted:

Antonee Robinson was terrible yesterday, bad touches from him probably stopped half a dozen promising US counterattacks.

I'm trying to learn more about the game, is there anything I can watch that will better explain how Robinson's actions impeded the attacks?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

I can't remember a good showing by him ever, tbf. Bad touches is his M.O.

Nystral posted:

I'm trying to learn more about the game, is there anything I can watch that will better explain how Robinson's actions impeded the attacks?

Shrap, do you have Suqit's classic triangles post?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nystral posted:

He was receiving the ball, and then going to dribble and his first or second touch while dribbling was far too strong, letting a defender close the space and take the ball away from him. A better touch and he would have been able to pass the ball off to another US player or just retain possession himself.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

Shrap, do you have Suqit's classic triangles post?

Let me share some unique Barcelona soccer experience with you, in this very thread, because you are missing the subtlety. Instead of following the ball, follow the off ball movement. Look for triangles to appear, dissolve and then reappear right before your eyes. Watch as player's heads swivel to find the man making the run for the second pass, not the first. Watch the tight control and decision making. Don't appreciate the pass that was made, appreciate the pass that wasn't because it was more difficult and less likely to be successful.

Watch the instant pressure applied once the ball is lost. Appreciate the monumental patience and discipline required to maintain possession without making foolish passes for long stretches. Realize that they are making things that are incredibly difficult to do both physically and tactically look so easy that it becomes boring.

Or you can just say lol Barcelona matches are boring and hate them.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

:discourse:

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Nystral posted:

You want your first touch receiving the ball to be:

1. A pass back to another player that is successfully received and safely moved on

2. A very careful touch that lets you immediately and safely control the ball and give you time to think about your next move

3. A purposeful touch (either hard or soft) that directs the ball into open space away from defenders so you can do the above from that space

4. I guess a final option would be a shot on goal

You can ignore 4 because Robinson’s job isn’t to shoot and he wasn’t trying to.

You can ignore 1 because that isn’t what he was generally trying to do and failing, although that’s because this generally takes the most technical ability on a team-wide level to do (as it requires having gelled enough to let multiple players know where the next pass should be going prior to the previous one being recovers). International teams aren’t generally doing this all the time, that’s something for top tier club teams who have more time to drill and get cohesive. But Spain is the best example of this at the tourney. See also the suqit triangle post lol

He was being bad at 2 and 3. Instead of safely receiving the ball he would mess up technically so a defender would be up on him closing him down before he had time to see where he could dribble or pass. This made it so he either lost the ball outright or couldn’t make passes to teammates (either because the pressing defender blocked all passes, or other defenders used the time to block the passing lanes to his teammates, putting them in new cover shadows).

He also either was screwing up or didn’t have the wherewithal to control the ballproperly with his first touch. Especially for the position he plays, attacking fullback who is nominally a defender but needs to move the ball up the pitch quickly down the side of the field, he should be better at reviving the ball and directing it with that first touch in a progressive direction away from defenders that lets him immediately get up to speed on the ball to dribble or make a pass from that area (which will force defenders to try and close down his dribbling and passing options at that new point and hopefully stretch them out of position / make them move their cover shadows so his teammates they were previously blocking can receive passes).

A lot of the above sounds simple and that’s because it is, but the speed of the game means it’s necessary to be technically sound to accomplish the simple stuff and do the more complicated stuff, so you often want to try and defend in a way that prevents the simple stuff.

If you’re interested in a basic level on what a fullback should be doing with those technical skills, here’s a basic vid by a nice Canadian sounding guy. It might help understand why his poor technique was getting in the way of him doing things.

https://youtu.be/nA40uiiZRU8

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
This is why the US will never improve beyond adequate, a nation full of dumb assholes like these two

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/jes...way-too-boring/

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Coohoolin posted:

This is why the US will never improve beyond adequate, a nation full of dumb assholes like these two

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/jes...way-too-boring/

Imagine being a dumb enough rear end in a top hat to seek this out and post it

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I should've stopped reading after "Jesse Watters and Adam Carolla".

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

You want your first touch receiving the ball to be:

1. A pass back to another player that is successfully received and safely moved on

2. A very careful touch that lets you immediately and safely control the ball and give you time to think about your next move

3. A purposeful touch (either hard or soft) that directs the ball into open space away from defenders so you can do the above from that space

4. I guess a final option would be a shot on goal

You can ignore 4 because Robinson’s job isn’t to shoot and he wasn’t trying to.

You can ignore 1 because that isn’t what he was generally trying to do and failing, although that’s because this generally takes the most technical ability on a team-wide level to do (as it requires having gelled enough to let multiple players know where the next pass should be going prior to the previous one being recovers). International teams aren’t generally doing this all the time, that’s something for top tier club teams who have more time to drill and get cohesive. But Spain is the best example of this at the tourney. See also the suqit triangle post lol

He was being bad at 2 and 3. Instead of safely receiving the ball he would mess up technically so a defender would be up on him closing him down before he had time to see where he could dribble or pass. This made it so he either lost the ball outright or couldn’t make passes to teammates (either because the pressing defender blocked all passes, or other defenders used the time to block the passing lanes to his teammates, putting them in new cover shadows).

He also either was screwing up or didn’t have the wherewithal to control the ballproperly with his first touch. Especially for the position he plays, attacking fullback who is nominally a defender but needs to move the ball up the pitch quickly down the side of the field, he should be better at reviving the ball and directing it with that first touch in a progressive direction away from defenders that lets him immediately get up to speed on the ball to dribble or make a pass from that area (which will force defenders to try and close down his dribbling and passing options at that new point and hopefully stretch them out of position / make them move their cover shadows so his teammates they were previously blocking can receive passes).

A lot of the above sounds simple and that’s because it is, but the speed of the game means it’s necessary to be technically sound to accomplish the simple stuff and do the more complicated stuff, so you often want to try and defend in a way that prevents the simple stuff.

If you’re interested in a basic level on what a fullback should be doing with those technical skills, here’s a basic vid by a nice Canadian sounding guy. It might help understand why his poor technique was getting in the way of him doing things.

https://youtu.be/nA40uiiZRU8

Thank you that video was extremely helpful.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

whypick1 posted:

I should've stopped reading after "Jesse Watters and Adam Carolla".
lol that Carolla is reduced to being a Fox News talking head now, what an arc that dipshit has had

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Didn't FOX pay a lot of money for those broadcasting rights too?

I guess news and sports are siloed networks but this seems dumb as hell for capitalist goblins like them

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

bawfuls posted:

lol that Carolla is reduced to being a Fox News talking head now, what an arc that dipshit has had

That’s a step up for Carolla these days. For like a decade he’s done nothing but be on his own pod cast that essentially no one listens to. And the few people who still listen to it actively hate it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Honestly not much of a better one than Dr. Drew.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tortilla Maker posted:

Women’s rights won today…oh, wait.
Funny you mention that, since thanks to new US national teams pay agreement the USWNT just got paid more than they did for winning both of the last two Women's World Cups due to the men making the second round of this one.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Crazy Ted posted:

Funny you mention that, since thanks to new US national teams pay agreement the USWNT just got paid more than they did for winning both of the last two Women's World Cups due to the men making the second round of this one.

In excess of 5 million, yeah baby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c7d8BYJy8I

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If the US comes out and plays against the Dutch like they did vs Wales and England, they will have a real chance

But Greggggg will probably decide to set up in a low block and defend and faaaaart

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Honestly not much of a better one than Dr. Drew.
true, they both really leaned hard into their worst impulses

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

Leaning into Dest for future wins!

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If the US comes out and plays against the Dutch like they did vs Wales and England, they will have a real chance

But Greggggg will probably decide to set up in a low block and defend and faaaaart

I dunno, he’s a “live by the sword” kinda guy

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

I dunno, he’s a “live by the sword” kinda guy

In this case I guess the sword is bad substitutions that unbalance the team

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

In this case I guess the sword is bad substitutions that unbalance the team

I think the defense are sorted now, it's the attack that lack. Obviously the Reyna hate is a -1, Pepi included and a fit Daryl Dike might have been a revelation. I think he's trying to mold the attack too much featuring Pulisic. Him taking set pieces has been a fail.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Doesn’t Reyna take kicks for Dortmund? Shame he’s not good enough to see the field for the us

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

When Reyna got on, it looked like he was still kinda injured, regardless of what he (or Berhalter) says...

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ByDougMcIntyre/status/1598334183306321922?t=3KFHfzCOuSYlv1H06vb9rA&s=19

Why would he lie about hurting his balls?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

So the hit was all dick? Jesus

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Did he get spiked in the dick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I haven't heard any updates on Sargent, and I thought he played pretty well against Iran. Any chance he plays Saturday? That foot injury looked pretty nasty.