Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Oh My God I forgot all about the Evo 3D. I remember feeling so bad rear end because I had the Evo 4g, then my Sister was like "Check out THIS PHONE" and I was so jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

I'm enjoying my D-brand case and Ohsnap 3 combo.

The case is solid, textured so no need for grip tape, and customizable with skins. It does make the whole phone as thick as the camera hump, so some may not like that.

The Ohsnap 3 isn't held on magnetically like the 2 was, but is way more useful as a grip. The compatibility with the Magsafe ecosystem is a nice plus.

I also have the Ohsnap charger as my first wireless charger I get the love. It charges through the case and grip no problem.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SalTheBard posted:

Oh My God I forgot all about the Evo 3D. I remember feeling so bad rear end because I had the Evo 4g, then my Sister was like "Check out THIS PHONE" and I was so jealous.

lol the lenticular effect was neat but that was kind of it, I'm fairly sure I had that turned off after maybe the first 3 days and never turned it back on

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I think my Sister did the same thing

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

1) the Caseology Athlex case is fantastic
2) it makes it look like my phone has a face

Oh that's nice. Can I see the front? How's it fit around the screen? How far does it push out?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Oh that's nice. Can I see the front? How's it fit around the screen? How far does it push out?

I tried to take a picture of that but it just didn't work well with the angle, using my lovely work iPhone for this. The front is a very standard case, there is a raised edge so I can put it face down on a flat surface with no worries. The edges are made of the same material as the back, which is kind of a rough textured TPU. It's very nice.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

sharkytm posted:

I fondly remember my HTC Evo 4G. Kickstands are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sharkytm posted:

Mine did the same thing on Wednesday. Drove up to ubreakifix and they swapped on a new screen with no change. Tried a second screen after verifying that their screen worked: no change. They're replacing the motherboard under warranty. I've already bought a Pixel 7 and I'm swapping the 5a as a trade-in for a $350 credit. I would go to a store to get it replaced if you have one locally. Mine is 45 minutes away, and they gave me a loaner 4XL, which is really nice. I'm pretty disappointed because I baby my devices and this is the first one I've ever had fail.

I am also getting a new motherboard under the 1 year extended repair, apparently. So a new screen and motherboard on this 5a, but we bought a 6a and applied this as trade, so it's just getting traded after I get it back from being repaired.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Twerk from Home posted:

I am also getting a new motherboard under the 1 year extended repair, apparently. So a new screen and motherboard on this 5a, but we bought a 6a and applied this as trade, so it's just getting traded after I get it back from being repaired.

Yup. Kinda sucks, as I liked my 5a. Headphone jack plus rear fingerprint scanner... The 7 is incredibly slippery. I had to swing by an ATT store to get the SIM reprovisioned and the tech dropped it immediately (onto a pad of paper).

that's a deep cut

Unrelated question: anyone else use Nova Launcher and their built in admin screen lock? I've used it for years but it won't work on my Pixel 7. Nova immediately crashes instead. I emailed their tech support with debug logs and screenshots, but I'm not holding my breath.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 1, 2022

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

sharkytm posted:

Yup. Kinda sucks, as I liked my 5a. Headphone jack plus rear fingerprint scanner... The 7 is incredibly slippery. I had to swing by an ATT store to get the SIM reprovisioned and the tech dropped it immediately (onto a pad of paper).

that's a deep cut

Unrelated question: anyone else use Nova Launcher and their built in admin screen lock? I've used it for years but it won't work on my Pixel 7. Nova immediately crashes instead. I emailed their tech support with debug logs and screenshots, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not a big fan of this new normal but they have a really active Discord server that you might have luck getting help in.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've been tempted to go for a 7 or 7 Pro but I really like my 6, so am biding my time. There is no 5G here so I turned it off, so maybe just being on LTE has spared me from some of the problems I see other people have. The cameras on the 7 Pro are really tempting, though.

I'm still tempted to replace my Motorola One 5G Ace secondary phone, either with a 6a or by demoting my 6 by getting a 7 Pro - maybe closer to Christmas or after the New Year or something. Even the half-assed support Motorola gives that phone is supposed to end after January, so unless I put LineageOS on it the thing will just be sliding further and further out of date anyway.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
My P7 restarted itself overnight, going by uptime on settings it seems to be around 1am. I was asleep and it was adaptive charging slowly up to my alarm at 7.

Last time the phone checked for a system update was later, around 5am, so while it may have been another update earlier, I don't know of a way to check.

Will a Pixel just perform a reboot for an automatic update or something? That seems less than ideal.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Soul Glo posted:

My P7 restarted itself overnight, going by uptime on settings it seems to be around 1am. I was asleep and it was adaptive charging slowly up to my alarm at 7.

Last time the phone checked for a system update was later, around 5am, so while it may have been another update earlier, I don't know of a way to check.

Will a Pixel just perform a reboot for an automatic update or something? That seems less than ideal.

I've been seeing that on my 4a. I wake up and it is asking for my login "after a system reboot". It happened almost nightly a month ago and did it again last night.

Never figured out what is causing it.

I still don't trust phone based alarms, so my 20+ year old alarm clock still woke me up just fine.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Uthor posted:

I've been seeing that on my 4a. I wake up and it is asking for my login "after a system reboot". It happened almost nightly a month ago and did it again last night.

Never figured out what is causing it.

I still don't trust phone based alarms, so my 20+ year old alarm clock still woke me up just fine.

Looked at Reddit about this and sure enough there's a thread with people wondering why their phones are rebooting around 1-115am. Seems to happen to 6s and 7s and maybe on Android 12 as well as Android 13.

Do you use Adaptive Charging? Wonder if it's connected to that.

Weird!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I would have the night time reboot every 1-3 days on my P6, on android 13, with adaptive charging. I've had my P7 since Tuesday but haven't seen the reboot yet. I have no idea why because there was no software update or anything that got installed during the reboots.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
My Pixel 7 pro has been only adaptive charging up to 75% intermittently even with my standard alarms set. I'm very fussy about ensuring it's properly centered on the official wireless charger as well.

Luckily the alarm still works. A cat may be to blame as well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

Do you use Adaptive Charging? Wonder if it's connected to that.

Weird!

I didn't think I did, but I just looked and I do. Huh!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
One weird thing with my P7; on three separate occasions the phone has completely locked up while watching YouTube TV and multitasking. The first two times I had the video paused and I was switching apps to either Chrome or Gmail. But today all I did was pause the video and pull down the notification shade and the screen locked up. After a few minutes I tried holding the power button for 30 seconds but this didn't force a reboot. After a few more minutes it rebooted on its own. Not sure if it's a P7 issue or a YouTube TV issue.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FistEnergy posted:

One weird thing with my P7; on three separate occasions the phone has completely locked up while watching YouTube TV and multitasking. The first two times I had the video paused and I was switching apps to either Chrome or Gmail. But today all I did was pause the video and pull down the notification shade and the screen locked up. After a few minutes I tried holding the power button for 30 seconds but this didn't force a reboot. After a few more minutes it rebooted on its own. Not sure if it's a P7 issue or a YouTube TV issue.

I know Youtube had issues yesterday is why embedding had to be turned off on the forums. It looks like iOS was having problems with it, but it doesn't seem outside the bounds of reason they have other problems going on.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/youtube-says-fixing-issues-after-reported-outages-2022-11-30/

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

CLAM DOWN posted:

1) the Caseology Athlex case is fantastic
2) it makes it look like my phone has a face

I have a version of this case for my P7P with the yellow border around the camera bar. It presents an issue in that depending on the angle of the sun or lighting the camera will pick up what appears to be reflections from that case rim around the camera bar. The other issue is that if you want to use a protector over the camera bar that comes in the screen protector kits, you'll discover it causes the case to no longer fit properly and leave some of the front screen exposed above the lip of the case.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has anyone succeeded in using an Xbox One controller with their phone? It looks like it initially pairs fine, but it then the controller immediately goes into the "Saved devices" category in the Bluetooth menu.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rip Testes posted:

I have a version of this case for my P7P with the yellow border around the camera bar. It presents an issue in that depending on the angle of the sun or lighting the camera will pick up what appears to be reflections from that case rim around the camera bar. The other issue is that if you want to use a protector over the camera bar that comes in the screen protector kits, you'll discover it causes the case to no longer fit properly and leave some of the front screen exposed above the lip of the case.

I definitely do not have that issue, and I do not use a screen protector either.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
I cant even use the p7p gyro to set youtube to landscape mode

fix your poo poo, tim google

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

I definitely do not have that issue, and I do not use a screen protector either.
me either, also i don't use a case

BoosterDuck posted:

works on my machine. do you have auto-rotate turned off?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

BoosterDuck posted:

I've been having that issue for a while now. Like 50% of the time it doesn't work. I have to hit the full screen button, then it works like it should when I rotate.

(edit: it's doing it right now!)

I also tend to watch videos in picture-in-picture, and if I stop the video and swipe it away, next time I open YouTube, I don't see anything and I have to force close it and open it again.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So is Samsung really poo poo at updates. I haven't gotten the Android 13 push or a security update on my S21.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I've been getting monthly patches consistently on my S21 FE, and got Android 13 about a month ago

Might depend on where you got the phone though, mines unlocked

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I'm not a big fan of this new normal but they have a really active Discord server that you might have luck getting help in.

It's fixed in the new beta. They got right back to me with info and a link. A+ support.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

repiv posted:

I've been getting monthly patches consistently on my S21 FE, and got Android 13 about a month ago

Might depend on where you got the phone though, mines unlocked

Mines unlocked, unless it's just a Canada thing

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
My S21+ Unlocked in the US is still on Android 12 (Oct 1), but I just forced an update check and it's downloading 13 now.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Went through a paranoid phase of wanting to use as many throwaway Gmail accounts for everything, but now as a Pixel user because your Gmail account is linked to an email, I'm losing track of things like calendars and saved files because I'm not always logged into the same account. Other weird problems with using Google Assistant routines because they won't go off if you're not logged into that particular account.

Is there anyway to somehow merge Google accounts here? Or change my current primary account?

Finally, this is very old-man of me but because I clearly grew up in the 90s with a PC, I'm stuck in the Desktop + File System workflow and can't really seem to figure out "where" exactly different files, downloads etc are. Not sure if this is because of the above multiple accounts thing or because some stuff is getting saved to my Google Drive and others are going into internal storage and in app specific folders (/com.android.chrome/).

Compared to a PC I feel like I'm grandpa being taught how to do the internets.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Have you tried exploring the filesystem with your phone plugged into a computer? It might answer some of your questions.

At some point for security reasons, Android started blocking system and folders from being visible to other apps on the phone. But you can still access them via USB.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/191508547/google-pixel-update-december-2022?hl=en

quote:

Battery usage in Settings displays information since last full charge (up to 7 days)

Yay!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Holy cow that's a lot of patch notes.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
the update android 13 should've launched with so it doesn't feel like a sidegrade

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Edit: delete.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

General reminder to any one that was on the Pixel QPR beta, now that the QPR release is final and available you can install that and then opt-out of the beta program without having to wipe your device.

If you don't go and opt-out, you'll end up in whatever the next beta program is.

https://www.google.com/android/beta

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A colleague recently got a Pixel 7 and I helped her get the Outlook calendar widget on her home screen. She's saying that sometimes the widget turns into the Outlook app and opens to her mailbox. Anyone ever heard of this?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I cannot get my S21 to see any update, its annoying me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pixel 7 Pro/Bellroy Leather Case. Great case. How the gently caress do you take it off.

Does anyone know of something that will let me individually do test records on the separate microphones? I maaaaaaaaaaay have unthinkingly stabbed the top microphone a bit with the sim card removal spike and want to make sure I didn't kill it. Don't judge me it's been a long day.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 6, 2022