Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Private Speech posted:

Well it has >3 times the resolution per eye, so relatively a lot. The lenses they use are theoretically co-developed with valve but can be a bit finnicky with focus so that's less clear.

Hmm maybe it would be worth the upgrade then since I do a lot of sim stuff.

Edit : well I just pulled the trigger. It’s not shipping till January lol

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Compound will release on Quest on Dec 8.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5472934942761937/

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 30, 2022

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Hmm maybe it would be worth the upgrade then since I do a lot of sim stuff.

Edit : well I just pulled the trigger. It’s not shipping till January lol

Yeah I was finally going to pull the trigger one one until I saw the shipping date. No fun for the holidays.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I have a friend who bought into VR with the Reverb G2 v1 and swears by it, though he integrated it with lighthouses and index controllers since he couldn't stand the Reverb's controller tracking (note the v1 was worse than the v2 about this by all accounts). It's a big reason why I almost pulled the trigger on the G2 earlier this month.

The only reason I didn't is because my CV1 still functions and I probably wouldn't be able to tolerate bad controller tracking so I'd still have to cave and make a meta account when the new year rolls around. Which I really don't want to do, but none of the next gen non-Oculous hardware has materialized and I'm not blowing ~1k on old tech when my (even older) current tech still functions.

If Beat Saber weren't the biggest single use case that I have for VR (with Valheim coming in second), I wouldn't care about tracking enough for it to matter. If I were playing vehicle games and/or slow-paced VR games, the G2 would be a steal at 300.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 30, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Anything to declare Lemming? Any secret you were holding up?

:P

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Can you use a Reverb or similar not-good-hand-tracking sets alongside lighthouses and vive/index controllers for the best of both worlds? Obv. the headset won't get any benefit from the lighthouses, but the hand tracking will be much better.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Can you use a Reverb or similar not-good-hand-tracking sets alongside lighthouses and vive/index controllers for the best of both worlds? Obv. the headset won't get any benefit from the lighthouses, but the hand tracking will be much better.

Yeah you can, that's the best option, if expensive.

The headset tracking is actually fine, the controller tracking issue is something to do with the side cameras pointing down I think - more lost tracking than bad tracking. Also happens if you bring your hand very close to your chest or very high without looking at it; it still tries to use accelerometers but it's not very good. Basically it's a coverage issue mainly.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 30, 2022

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ah that's good to know, I still have my old VIVE hooked up, was considering the Index but it's been out a few years; just boxing up the headset but keeping the controllers & lighthouses in play would be no problem. Now, a Reverb in January or wait to see what Deckard brings..? :o:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

Anything to declare Lemming? Any secret you were holding up?

:P

They can't ignore him anymore. Bad look when unofficial games have higher review counts than official ones.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Does upgrading to Windows 11 have an impact on PCVR?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yes, if you would like to spend about $700.

Two Lighthouses : $300
Two Controllers : $279
Two USB Dongles needed to receive input from the Controllers: $100

The HP Motion Controllers are fine. The idea that you can't use them for shooters is just wrong. They are sensitive to bad lighting conditions and will lose tracking if you hold them motionless outside the headset's tracking range (over your head or by your knees). The inertial tracking will compensate even if you move them outside this range, as long as they are in motion.

Sure, a pair of Index controllers are better, but they're not $700 better.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ChocNitty posted:

Does upgrading to Windows 11 have an impact on PCVR?

Yes. Stay the gently caress away from win 11 with VR currently.

People can argue with me all they want. They are wrong.

I loved 11, but there was just too many small fuckery things and they've been tweaking how process priority n poo poo works so its a mixed bag of dicks with VR.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My old computer running a 1070 and Windows 10 did fine with VR, although the 1070 struggled at times.

My new computer with a 3080 and Windows 11 does fine with VR also. I’m not sure how much the 3080 may be compensating for any Windows 11 shortcomings.

So what I’m saying is, if you don’t have an actual basis for comparison, it’s fine. If you do have such a basis, who knows, maybe poster above me is right? But going in blind it’s fine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you don’t have a compelling reason to upgrade to 11 then you shouldn’t probably upgrade just yet anyway.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I will say I've noticed some weirdly inconsistent performance with W11, sometimes I'm rocking a solid 90fps and sometimes in the exact same game I'm at 70fps in the exact same situation. So I have no trouble believing there's weird priority fuckery going on.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

MarcusSA posted:

If you don’t have a compelling reason to upgrade to 11 then you shouldn’t probably upgrade just yet anyway.

This is the answer.

If I wasn't doing VR, Win 11 was great. I had better general gaming performance on flat games and I don't dislike the new "theme" windows has going on.

VR was the sole reason I went back to 10. I can't work in VR and have my poo poo randomly not working correctly. The process priority thing is just one part of it but like in general 11 was just fucky with VR. Sometimes everything would be absolutely fine, next time I boot steamvr who the hell knows. It was way worse on my oculus stuff. SteamVR at least was usable most of the time. While the oculus poo poo was honestly a total dice roll every boot.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

huh so it turns out the weird inconsistent performance, graphical glitching and other associated issues in SteamVR were entirely caused by its default-to-on supersampling, which I was apparently just supposed to know to find and turn off because the Oculus software also has default-to-on supersampling and the doubling up causes them to freak out.

At least that's it working perfectly now after about 10 months of just assuming that this was normal.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I had to upgrade to windows 11 because I got a 13600k, and while it's been great in most things there some stupid stuff with win 10.

Most egregious it was that it turns every drive as a read only that only the active user/administrator can change or something that just hosed up any emulators and non citified programs that you are running. It might be why I can't seem to get VD and occulus killer working properly.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I can't find the original effort post but in the next few days I'll have my (windows 11, RTX 3070, 13600k) machine up and ready to play all the steam games i bought. What is the path to getting this to play on my meta quest 2?

Virtual desktop (settings to change ? Keymappings to load ? )
I am clutch on WiFi 6 , with plenty of signal. I have had PCVR working via my old janky computer so I know its basically connectable to PC in the house

I just want the least amount of frustration

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Roundboy posted:

I can't find the original effort post but in the next few days I'll have my (windows 11, RTX 3070, 13600k) machine up and ready to play all the steam games i bought. What is the path to getting this to play on my meta quest 2?

I am clutch on WiFi 6 , with plenty of signal. I have had PCVR working via my old janky computer so I know its basically connectable to PC in the house

Open Virtual Desktop, connect to PC, launch game in Steam. You shouldn't have to change any settings and the Quest should be detected as your headset and controllers even if you haven't got the Oculus launcher installed. Though in SteamVR's settings turn supersampling off and turn the per-eye resolution down to about 60% to more closely match the Quest's actual resolution.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Roundboy posted:

See my post a couple up from yours and disable supersampling in the SteamVR settings immediately lol, I'm on a Quest 2 and 3070 as well and it's solved every problem I was having

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

See my post a couple up from yours and disable supersampling in the SteamVR settings immediately lol, I'm on a Quest 2 and 3070 as well and it's solved every problem I was having

oh jeez I see that I totally missed it, thanks!

njsykora posted:

Open Virtual Desktop, connect to PC, launch game in Steam. You shouldn't have to change any settings and the Quest should be detected as your headset and controllers even if you haven't got the Oculus launcher installed. Though in SteamVR's settings turn supersampling off and turn the per-eye resolution down to about 60% to more closely match the Quest's actual resolution.

Short. Sweet. Saved. Thanks as well

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

ughhhh posted:

I had to upgrade to windows 11 because I got a 13600k, and while it's been great in most things there some stupid stuff with win 10.

Most egregious it was that it turns every drive as a read only that only the active user/administrator can change or something that just hosed up any emulators and non citified programs that you are running. It might be why I can't seem to get VD and occulus killer working properly.

Windows 11 doesn't do any of that.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Tupper made an (unofficial) guide to the best setup for VRChat (and that is best, with no regard to cost).

He recommends Windows 11 due to its CPU scheduler.

https://tupper.notion.site/The-Current-Best-PC-For-VRChat-0636cbf57062499e80f02554afda2be4

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I definitely didn't do any controlled comparison and I don't play a lot of VR so I'm not going to say my experience is worth as much as those who do it regularly, but I haven't noticed any meaningful difference between 10 and 11 as far as VR. My Vive still fails to wake the base stations half the time and my Quest 2 still sometimes just can't see the PC at all, both of which are just the same as they were on 10. Performance with a 3070 and 3900X is still good either way.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

MikusR posted:

Windows 11 doesn't do any of that.

Like in said, I don't know what it is, and I might be wrong about the cause. But I am having a hard time getting occulus killer to work atm so am just using VD to use steam VR from my quest 2. The only other gripe I have had so far is that I haven't found an option to place task manager in the right click menu, it only shows up when you right click the start button.

Do people still utilize occulus tray tools or is there a better way to turn off occulus processes now? Are there some needed PC side applications that people suggest to use these days with occulus in airlink?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Not related to VR issues but if you want to customise the Win11 interface I recommend installing Explorer Patcher (https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher). It lets you make things work the way they did in 10 or whatever combination you want - including square window corners, old start menu with tiles and the old taskbar, among other things. It's opensource and gets regularly updated too.

e: It even has the win10 weather widget.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 1, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Win11 works fine for me in VR :shrug:

:iiam:

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Does anyone know the best place to get prescription VR inserts for the Index?

Actually better question, should I even bother? The issue I have is that my eyes are bad and I have a strong prescription. This means the further away from the focal point of my glasses, the blurrier my vision gets. High refractive index lenses help, but that also just sorta replaces the blurriness with chromatic aberration.
So if prescription inserts are just a comfort thing and won't actually improve my VR sight, ehhhhhhhh.

Oh also random thing, now that I'm getting back into VR
I really hate when you download a song you like in beatsaber, and oh whoops the mapper set the beats to the vocals, not the instruments. So annoying.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

BadMedic posted:

Does anyone know the best place to get prescription VR inserts for the Index?

Actually better question, should I even bother? The issue I have is that my eyes are bad and I have a strong prescription. This means the further away from the focal point of my glasses, the blurrier my vision gets. High refractive index lenses help, but that also just sorta replaces the blurriness with chromatic aberration.
So if prescription inserts are just a comfort thing and won't actually improve my VR sight, ehhhhhhhh.

For my astigmatism, having lens inserts made a HUGE difference, both in clarity and comfort (especially since I no longer need to wear my glasses in the headset). Very happy I pulled the trigger on that.

I used WidmoVR, since they still shipped to Canada at the height of the pandemic, but I know other services are regularly recommended in this thread.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Brownie posted:

I used WidmoVR, since they still shipped to Canada at the height of the pandemic, but I know other services are regularly recommended in this thread.
Cool, thanks.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The loser of the month is Quest 2, and the winner... could that "other" be Pico Neo 4?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
For people that liked the idea of Supernatural but hated the coaches they now have a "Focus Mode" option that completely disables coaches except warmup and cool down (and you can skip warmups and coooldowns altogether if you want too).

I may selectively do it with certain coaches that are too fakey to me.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Chin Strap posted:

For people that liked the idea of Supernatural but hated the coaches they now have a "Focus Mode" option that completely disables coaches except warmup and cool down (and you can skip warmups and coooldowns altogether if you want too).

u got a problem with me, athlete?

also:
some changes to VRchat. maybe we can make a goon group then again maybe thats the worst idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4p8KwXMuV8

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

The loser of the month is Quest 2, and the winner... could that "other" be Pico Neo 4?

I don’t see how when the Neo 2+3 both are on the list.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

I don’t see how when the Neo 2+3 both are on the list.

Well, Neo 4 is much more new? Usually Valve lags somewhat in adding new headsets.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Chin Strap posted:

Oh nice! Yeah there's a few coaches that I'm not always in the mood for.

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

Sounds like many indies are turning away from Meta, since it's not worth it supporting Quest and instead of helping, having them tell you to just get the same word of mouth as Gorilla Tag on AppLab.

For us it's definitely just PSVR2 and PCVR from now on.

At least we got on Humble Bundle, there's something: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/premier-vr

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

That bundle looks like a really good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Kharan posted:

Sounds like many indies are turning away from Meta, since it's not worth it supporting Quest and instead of helping, having them tell you to just get the same word of mouth as Gorilla Tag on AppLab.

For us it's definitely just PSVR2 and PCVR from now on.

At least we got on Humble Bundle, there's something: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/premier-vr

How difficult was it to get on PSVR2? Did you have to prove prior sales levels or whatever to get access to dev kits? I'm working on a couple VR titles and I'm kinda interested. Also curious what the humble bundle process was like.