Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

StrangersInTheNight posted:

listening to this now, and just a head's up, there's 13 minutes of bullshit nonsense before they start talking about Sam Bankman-Fried. I can tell it's gonna be interesting but just letting people know where SBF's name actually shows up and the show begins.

Oh yeah, haha, welcome to any given podcast. One you get into a show you learn to love the digressions, but if you're a first time listener it can be annoying. Feel free to skip ahead, it's well worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

SBF was on CNBC today

https://twitter.com/merovingians/status/1598086953119158275?t=vYVMFgB2_cgyYolpe9pSWw&s=19

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

SBF just did like an hour long live interview with the New York Time dealbook. It was interesting. I got the overwhelming impression he was just a dumb crypto bro in completely over his head.

Imagine being in his position and thinking a live hour long interview with the NYT, who has been catching hell for going easy on you recently, is a good move.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

D-Pad posted:

SBF just did like an hour long live interview with the New York Time dealbook. It was interesting. I got the overwhelming impression he was just a dumb crypto bro in completely over his head.

Imagine being in his position and thinking a live hour long interview with the NYT, who has been catching hell for going easy on you recently, is a good move.

This motherfucker is desperately trying to spread that perception after years of selling himself as the genius savior of humanity. He's always been full of poo poo and trying to just save his own skin. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing as he was stealing all that money.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1598080085503811584

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

D-Pad posted:

yeah, you were supposed to

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

That's a pretty strong statement out of Popehat, who was a public defender/criminal defense lawyer or something if I recall. Not exactly fun for SBF.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Popehat is a defense attorney who was a former AUSA, so his disdain of the police and the criminal justice system is well-earned. He's the guy most sympathetic to would-be defendants and if he's saying that, you've truly done hosed up.

But we all knew that with SBF.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

WHATS SBF STAND FOR? SOME BUTT FUCKER?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
some brilliant finance

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Strong Sauce posted:

lmao love that the bitcoin miners knew their miners would eventually be worthless so of course they use it for collateral.

not shedding any tears for the people who gave them the money though
I mean this is totally how you approach securing a loan on capital assets. There's meant to be a guy at the other end of the equation who's like "wait a minute if they can't pay for these that means they suck" and not sign off on the risk profile but what were the 2010s if not a decade where the banks just gave out free money.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

That's a pretty strong statement out of Popehat, who was a public defender/criminal defense lawyer or something if I recall. Not exactly fun for SBF.
"Your defense attorney will be extremely unhappy if you give an interview about something that you're under investigation for" has been a recurring theme of his for a while.

A few geniuses from the past 6 years were doing it a lot, like Avenatti.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I've mentioned this before but I know someone who made tens of millions of dollars off of crypto but that's because he got in on the ground floor when it was selling for pennies in like 2009 he bought 10,000 of them as a joke and I wish I would have asked him to maybe send a thousand of those my way as a joke and I wouldn't be working my bullshit job right now if I did, but I didn't understand it at all back then and didn't even have the money to buy in at the time plus it felt sketchy from the start as I couldn't find any information on who loving runs the Bitcoin operation.

I cut ties with him a few years back after he started selling a bunch near its peak because it changed him a lot he became a very self-centered douche and would give no money or help to anyone and unfortunately I think he was a little too smart financially otherwise I would have tried to skim some from him but oh well.

Last I heard from someone he has a host of health problems because he just stopped taking care of himself and to be honest couldn't happen to a worse person.

He is the only person I know who has made money from crypto I know literally of no one else. I know some people who bought after the stupid super bowl commercials and thankfully I convinced one of them to just cut their losses and sell but no one has made money since that commercial, and that is a big old LOL to me.

Do really wish I would have just thrown in for like a hundred of those fuckers and just held for a while. The only time I ever used it was to buy "research chemicals" online a few years ago back when that's pretty much all it was used for.

Those were some good research chemicals I tell you what.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/ryaneshea/status/1598094603106025472?s=20&t=rAdenEv8gjFOAH7nkJn4RQ

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Does anyone have a link to that study that compares the return on investments for men and women of different age brackets? It had men in their 30s averaging out near 0% return because so many men took risky bets on crypto.'

Beefed Owl posted:

Do really wish I would have just thrown in for like a hundred of those fuckers and just held for a while. The only time I ever used it was to buy "research chemicals" online a few years ago back when that's pretty much all it was used for.

Those were some good research chemicals I tell you what.
That's a good deal right there. You've benefited more from crypto than 99% of the people suckered into it. Honestly, if you had 1000 crypto bought for pennies, you would have sold most of it when Bitcoin first jumped in price to $100, let alone $1000. Or lost it all when MtGox went tits up.

The greatest financial genius was the person who bought Bitcoin early and cheap for drugs, got high and forgot about it, got high again a decade later and remembered they had a 1000 Bitcoin and somehow remembered the password and kept the hard drive. Anyone that decided to keep pouring money ended up losing their money.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Thought they were small pastries.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Look. 2,999 of them could have been anything. Who knew?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

This seems like a Tim Robinson bit

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

:pastryno:

Beefed Owl posted:

I cut ties with him a few years back after he started selling a bunch near its peak because it changed him a lot he became a very self-centered douche and would give no money or help to anyone and unfortunately I think he was a little too smart financially otherwise I would have tried to skim some from him but oh well.
I can't imagine why he didn't want to give you any of his money

drk
Jan 16, 2005
17 months and 3000 shrimp is so oddly specific until I realized SBF is the definitely the sort of guy who:

-Almost certainly doesnt cook

-Would absolutely order and eat the same exact lunch or something every single day for nearly two years (3000 shrimp in 17 months is approximately 6 per day)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It takes a real sick loving degenerate to hold an investment past 400% gains

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

I can't imagine why he didn't want to give you any of his money

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Only figured out the mix-up after The Ocean called

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

It takes a real sick loving degenerate to hold an investment past 400% gains

Is that the moon?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what size shrimp did he eat, if its not Colossal oh bigger than what the gently caress is he even doing.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Ghost Leviathan posted:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

PhazonLink posted:

what size shrimp did he eat, if its not Colossal oh bigger than what the gently caress is he even doing.

could be something made from seafood stock or shrimp paste if you wanna give the benefit of the doubt

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lumbermouth posted:

This seems like a Tim Robinson bit

It pretty much is since no one can actually find the source

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

more falafel please posted:

could be something made from seafood stock or shrimp paste if you wanna give the benefit of the doubt

I assumed the shrimp was included in some processed or prepared food in a way that might not have been obvious and everyone was just having fun saying he was too stupid to realise he was eating whole shrimps

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
https://twitter.com/concodanomics/status/1598118206216232962

This stupid gently caress is pretending to look sorry while somehow having what looks like a friendly, chatty, fun interview with Stephanopolous. No way there's going to be any hard questions or journalistic integrity. Just LMAO.

Edit: Another LMAO

https://twitter.com/FrancisKimETH/status/1598114720095301632

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Not sure why that's weird, given that the bitcoin faithful often hold coins for years. I think a sizable double-digit percentage of bitcoin has *never* moved (still in the original wallet that got the block reward).

(there is certainly wash trading happening but there is no reason to assume that an exchange's daily volume percentage should be equivalent to the percentage of total coin supply they hold, even roughly)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What the hell is wrong with this dickheads shirts?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

PITY BONER posted:

https://twitter.com/concodanomics/status/1598118206216232962

This stupid gently caress is pretending to look sorry while somehow having what looks like a friendly, chatty, fun interview with Stephanopolous. No way there's going to be any hard questions or journalistic integrity. Just LMAO.

Edit: Another LMAO

https://twitter.com/FrancisKimETH/status/1598114720095301632

You don't have to ask hard questions with this guy, he just sits there and admits his crimes.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So is it true that he's honestly connected? and a genius at manipulating his image?

Or is he just stupid?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ups_rail posted:

So is it true that he's honestly connected? and a genius at manipulating his image?

Or is he just stupid?

We're talking about crypto here. Generally speaking, there is a strong inverse correlation between intelligence and investment/involvement in crypto. (e.g. Elon Musk)

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
SBF and Do Kwon have exact opposite PR strategies

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1598296985010073600

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ups_rail posted:

Or is he just stupid?

Yes

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
When you're depressed and know that you hosed up and feel like everyone hates you, those friendly journalists who want to hear you talk are the only escape from the misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Kennel posted:

When you're depressed and know that you hosed up and feel like everyone hates you, those friendly journalists who want to hear you talk are the only escape from the misery.

I think this is his attempt at a sort of defense - If he can get the world to believe he's the dumbest klutz ever, maybe they might forget to ask how you accidentally and clumsily program a system where one of your companies can rob the other of customers' funds without even raising an alarm as billions are transferred from one to the other. Since that kind of malicious forethought sounds less klutzy and more criminal-y.