Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

You're in luck! I wrote a column for my food blog called "The ‘Dines List: Canned Sardines 101," introducing some of my favorite 'dines to the uninitiated:
https://saboscrivner.com/2021/07/02/the-dines-list-canned-sardines-101/

I also have a second installment, hyper-focusing on 'dines from Morocco:
https://saboscrivner.com/2021/10/01/the-dines-list-2-mission-to-morocco/

I'm long overdue to post a third 'Dines List column, but it's going to be about 'dines from Portugal.

Great writeup, thanks for the recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
After not reading this thread for awhile I caught up on the dine talk and realized I hadn't had a dine in years, luckily I stocked up 2 and 3 years ago for pandemic reserves and they were perfectly aged.

I put them in some pasta thing my wife made, I am more fan of sardine than pasta. I had some over the sink too.

I've seen a lot of hate for in water, but my grandpa taught me his dine secret of pouring some white vinegar into the dines in water after draining and that makes them almost as good as oil.

My hot sauce tolerance is through the roof, most hot sauces barely qualify as spicy ketchup to me, I wonder what would pair with dines?

I've also found love for tomato dines in the past with a rice dish during my poor bachelor days, I tolerate mustard dines even though I am more of a fan of fancy Dijon or horseradish.

naem
May 29, 2011

KO makes dijon mustard dines, I got sent some accidentally from amazon and now I don’t like other mustard dines as much having tasted the best

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I've found I don't really like the dual layer dines. They're always too soft and frankly kind of tasteless to me. Gimme a bigger, firmer, more pungent fish. Nothing wrong with liking them, but not for me.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

cenotaph posted:

Gimme bigger, firmer, more

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

had the marinated sardines today, on crackers, and they were super good. they’re packed in oil and vinegar so you get a nice balance of richness and acid, and the delicate meatiness of the butterflied sardines. goddammit I just had dessert and I’m thinking about trying the anchovies right now

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Terrible news, one of the cats as suddenly figured out that dines are delicious. Somehow made it years without being bothered by cats for fishy treats, but now that's all over. RIP my peace and quiet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

borrowed time, my friend

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
buy nothing but beachcliff in mustard until the little fucker leaves you alone

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
She's way too stupid to be deterred by such a thing as quality. Even if she didn't like it I would just get scolded until I came up with some proper sardines.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Don’t go for a walk in the woods too soon after enjoying a can of sardines. You will be menaced by beasts.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've seen a lot of hate for in water, but my grandpa taught me his dine secret of pouring some white vinegar into the dines in water after draining and that makes them almost as good as oil.

:hmmyes:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
the voice of labor army mre

menu a

'dines in olive oil
sun dried tomatoes
sourdough crackers
olives
peanut butter
hummus
saltines
dried cranberry trail mix
hibiscus drink mix
sharkleberry fin drink mix
instant coffee

accessories pack: folding spork, 1g preroll gorilla glue, hot sauce, dijon, horseradish, horehound candy, matches, 2 ply extra soft toilet paper

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Let’s get that out over the sink, nice

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
menu b

'dines in sweet shoyu
instant rice (no complaints)
pickled ginger, daikon, and sea asparagus
peanut butter
pate
stoned wheat thins
dark chocolate trail mix
cherry drink mix
sharkleberry fin drink mix
oolong tea bag

accessories pack: folding spork, 1g preroll platinum girlscout cookies, shoyu, oeleck, werthers original hard candies, matches, 2 ply extra soft toilet paper, temporary tattoo

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

cenotaph posted:

I've found I don't really like the dual layer dines. They're always too soft and frankly kind of tasteless to me. Gimme a bigger, firmer, more pungent fish. Nothing wrong with liking them, but not for me.

I feel that way most of the time too, then tonight I had a pack of the two-layer (well, like half because the dog and cats got some) and I really enjoyed how delicate and easy to eat they are.

Just lately I ordered a bunch of Hagoromo Mackerel in Miso and Shoyu and Crown Prince smoked oysters, I was happy to see Amazon now sells Hagoromo products for pretty sane prices. I really like the Nissui brand mackerel but the price is a bit high for my fish budget. The Crown Prince oysters aren't as good as the Otter Kingdom brand I got last time, both are sourced from Korea but the OK are somehow a lot nicer.

I read the mackerel in shoyu/miso is best with some hot rice and by god, they are.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Myron Baloney posted:

mackerel in shoyu/miso

I need this. I do the same thing with tins of Japanese bbq eel every now and then and highly recommend as well. Don't remember any brand off hand unfortunately.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
week 2 into the great sardine war. morale is high, we will be home by thursday

menu a

'dines in water
ghee
dehydrated potato leak soup
crackers
peanut butter spread
grape drink mix
yerba matte tea bag

accessories pack: 1g preroll leaves and trim, lemon and pepper seasoning, candy corn, 2 ply toilet paper

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Do you mix the sardines with the peanut butter or the soup?

yes

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Soul Dentist posted:

Do you mix the sardines with the peanut butter or the soup?

yes

Yes

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
week 3 of the war. every week the food gets worse and the recruits get younger

menu a

chicken of the sea mustard 'dines
hardtack
peanut butter spread
mixed berry drink mix
instant chicory coffee

accessories pack: 1g preroll herbal smoking blend, lemon flavored tootsie roll, institutional toilet paper

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
week 4. we've lost the war. drat the emperor's pride, he will see all of our countries sons turned to slurry before he surrenders

menu a

coupon for 50 cents off a 7-11 hotdog
can of watermelon four loko
peanut butter spread

accessories pack: cyanide tablet

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/APvlGjYiexQ

not far off french mre’s

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

naem posted:

https://youtu.be/APvlGjYiexQ

not far off french mre’s

"Nice hiss!"

Steve hasn't posted in a while, but his is one of my favorite Youtube channels. Bought some Pepperoni pizza MREs as Christmas gifts a couple of years ago based upon his reaction, and picked one up for myself, too.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://imgur.com/gallery/cySIcw9

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The Voice of Labor posted:

week 4. we've lost the war. drat the emperor's pride, he will see all of our countries sons turned to slurry before he surrenders

menu a

coupon for 50 cents off a 7-11 hotdog
can of watermelon four loko
peanut butter spread

accessories pack: cyanide tablet

Ngl this one is easily my first choice of the options provided

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Went to a fancy store and saw these. Bernal Cutlery in San Francisco.

My first time eating canned sardines and the ones I bought, Nuri, are a bit more salty than I was expecting.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

hah neat tiny fish co is from down the street from me :)
i would not have had any money left

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anything you recommend from them in particular?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
if the regular nuri in olive oil is too salty for you, try some season in olive oil. they're readily available at costco and pretty cheap. some would complain that the boneless skinless 'dine experience isn't the real deal, but they're fine and they're pretty mild. also padding the 'dines by putting them on a salad or making sir alton brown's classic sardine avocado toast will dillute a lot of the saltiness.

they are smoked, preserved salt water fish though so if you try a few varieties and find them all to be too salty they might just not be for you

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Seconding Costco seasons as a solid daily dine.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Unless they're in water like my Costco sells (ugh)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

does anyone actually like them in water?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

This is the situation where they are good in water:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Fartington Butts posted:

:hmmyes:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fartington Butts posted:

Monterey? That place always makes me hungry.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I would imagine a fair amount of the thread likes them in water, though we all prefer them in oil. like, if someone hands you a tin of k.o. in water and a lemon and a hunk of bread, that might not be your first choice but you're not going to say "no" or regret it

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I was buying the regular (non boned/skinned) seasons for a while and I liked them a lot, but then I got two cases in a row where they weren't scaled properly that turned them from a quick meal to a fiddly mess. The skinless taste great but I miss the bones.

Wild planet used to be my go-to but they started over cooking them and the fat was rendered out into a brown sludge in the bottom of the tine and the fish were dry.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah wild planet sucks now. I'm normally all in on bones but thinking about it now I could give or take the skin. Just advertising something as "Skinless" is hosed up though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Anything you recommend from them in particular?

geoduck!