Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yossarian-22 posted:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2023_advanced.html#advanced_stats::usg_pct

Jokic isn't even one of the top 35 biggest ball hogs. He's taking far fewer shots with Porter and Murray on the team. Giannis is the biggest ball hog in the league

Good players hog the ball. Simple as

it says a lot about your brain disease (no judgment I am trying to help you ) that when confronted with a normal every day term “ball hog” you instantly jumped to “advanced” “stats” to mansplain me

stop that. it’s not healthy.

I love you and want you to be healthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

to be clear the disease manifestation in this case is two fold :

1. jumping to “advanced stats” as a default model of reality and then

2. mansplaining people with said “stats”

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

euphronius posted:

mansplaining

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i just checked and marcus smart is the first point guard in modern celtics history to score exactly 220 points while racking up 143+ assists in the first 21 games of the season

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
why can't nba stat nerds produce good charts and graphs? These all suck to look at

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

fart simpson posted:

i just checked and marcus smart is the first point guard in modern celtics history to score exactly 220 points while racking up 143+ assists in the first 21 games of the season

goated

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

also the entire league is behind promoting jokic so his “assist” stats are highly dubious

assists are not real. stop

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you can’t walk into a building and point to an assist. it’s a concept.

I can point to a Boston winning the championship tho or jokic being 1-8 in the playoffs in his last nine games

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

is plus/minus real though bc

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
no

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Vox Nihili posted:

I think my favorite Luka thing is how he commits a defensive foul virtually every possession he's involved in and virtually never gets called

lmfao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

big time match up of good teams tonight with Cleveland v Philly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

PJ TUCKER SCORED

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mobley is very impressive

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cleveland def a top 4 seed

They are legit

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol celtics with a 12 point lead just two minutes into the game

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

it says a lot about your brain disease (no judgment I am trying to help you ) that when confronted with a normal every day term “ball hog” you instantly jumped to “advanced” “stats” to mansplain me

He also forgot to include a tiny screenshot of a single number with a red circle around it to make his point. Rookie mistake.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyway, usage isn't a weird or controversial stat, ya dingus. Great players want the ball in their hands a lot, triply so for great players who run point.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

fart simpson posted:

lol celtics with a 12 point lead just two minutes into the game

Tatum had 28 at the half :eyepop:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Anyway, usage isn't a weird or controversial stat, ya dingus. Great players want the ball in their hands a lot, triply so for great players who run point.

you are doing the same thing . it’s a disease

I didn’t say usage. I am very precise with what I write. if I meant usage I would have said that. I said “ball hog”

now you have the same problem. you read ball hog and the Sportscenter music played in your head and experiences of real basketball soft faded into webpages showing numbers and it outputted “usage” and then you mansplained me about some usage facts. I am not talking about usage.

you can’t take your simulacrum and put it on me. I don’t want it

this comes up against and again. like I will say a objectively true thing like this player is bad at defense and the ESPN crew will say “WELL ACTUSLLY HIS DBPM IS 3.5”

I don’t care about dbpm. I was talking about defense.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

euphronius posted:

I didn’t say usage. I am very precise with what I write. if I meant usage I would have said that. I said “ball hog”

now you have the same problem. you read ball hog and the Sportscenter music played in your head and experiences of real basketball soft faded into webpages showing numbers and it outputted “usage” and then you mansplained me about some usage facts. I am not talking about usage.

this comes up against and again. like I will say a objectively true thing like this player is bad at defense and the ESPN crew will say “WELL ACTUSLLY HIS DBPM IS 3.5”

why do you keep saying mansplained

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

cavs are for real also

they may even be top three solidly.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

Will you engage with the underlying argument that great players SHOULD be ball hogs or will you continue to bitch and whinge like a coward?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

euphronius posted:

cavs are for real also

they may even be top three solidly.

do you really think people here are arguing with you because your a woman?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

fart simpson posted:

do you really think people here are arguing with you because your a woman?

the poster above just used a gendered insult towards me I don’t think you need to question this anymore

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

here is a challenge

make an interesting comment about basketball without using a stat

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i love nba officiating

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

Sorry I won't use advanced stats. I'll use a much more basic stat https://www.nba.com/stats/players/touches?dir=D&sort=TOUCHES

Jokic is third in touches but he only spends 2.74 seconds with the ball per touch. The only other players in the top 50 touches who spend less time holding/dribbling the ball are Draymond Green and three bigs: AD/Embiid/Sabonis

You are correct about Doncic though. He spends by far the most time with the ball in the NBA at 10.1 seconds per possession. Jokic isn't even in the top 50 in time per possession

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you could just say “yeah sorry you make a good point I’ll try better in the future “

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

No because you didn't make a good point about Jokic. He is literally one of the least ball hoggy players in the NBA. Doncic on the other hand is the biggest ball hog so I was mistaken to say that Giannis is more of one than him. On that front you are correct

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mavs only win games at all because Doncic has the ball as much as he does, particularly now that they don't even have Brunson as a secondary creator. It's a function of roster construction. They play him like he's Prime Harden on the Rockets of olde (w/o Chris Paul) because he's a similar-ish shooting/passing/foul baiting threat and they don't have much else going on other than "two-way" catch and shoot goons and I guess whatever Dinwiddie does.

Jokic by contrast plays off ball a lot and really not at all like Doncic.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

the poster above just used a gendered insult towards me I don’t think you need to question this anymore

In my mind you have always been a chubby 45 year-old white dude with your av's head.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I appreciate you not using stats in that one post above

you sounded way more human and persuasive

keep it up

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I hope Doncic keeps hogging the basketball because then he will never win

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yossarian-22 posted:

No because you didn't make a good point about Jokic. He is literally one of the least ball hoggy players in the NBA. Doncic on the other hand is the biggest ball hog so I was mistaken to say that Giannis is more of one than him. On that front you are correct

huh. this jokic guy doesnt sound like a very good point guard then

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

also I am 46

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

you are 46 and yet you believe kevin garnett was only as good as al horford... curious

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

also I am 46

make this point without using advanced stats like “age”

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

shooting by itself is overrated especially now in the league when lots of teams shoot well

I understand that old grand parents who watch a lot of espn and have fantasy teams would be easily impressed by Steph’s box score numbers. when you grow up watching people play in the 90s and 00s it must look impressive to see such box score numbers

i'd sooner believe you are 15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yossarian-22 posted:

you are 46 and yet you believe kevin garnett was only as good as al horford... curious

that isn’t what I said

I am placing you on a probation for a week for gaslighting

see you in a week