Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

im actually very stupid at how to do excel formulas by clicking on cells so i just typed in the formulas like =c2/a2 or whatever lol. a lil peak behind the curtains.

Using the mouse in excel is baby poo poo, real sheetheads never leave the keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

so whats the donate system gonna look like. some paypal link? website with a form? stripe? etc. for the non-loaded, overpaid, etc goons

stripe donate link most likely

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

simple spreadsheet in less than a month? hmm

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

really queer Christmas posted:

Also I, personally, would rather we give too much to people that don't need it than not give enough to people who need it

yeah, it's this, AKA don't let perfect be the enemy of good :smuggo:

sotary
Sep 11, 2001

on the computer posted:

simple spreadsheet in less than a month? hmm

I got the tude now posted:

how is this possible

can all the idiots from other subforums stop continuing dumb drama in this thread?

good work is being done, the other thread exists, focus on the positive!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

sotary posted:

can all the idiots from other subforums stop continuing dumb drama in this thread?

good work is being done, the other thread exists, focus on the positive!

you can tell cspam/SA is a genuine leftist space because of our dedication to derailing good things because of petty differences and drama

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

Using the mouse in excel is baby poo poo, real sheetheads never leave the keyboard

I was going to say that the mouse is sometimes useful to scroll through a formula but honestly if your formula is in any sense legible to mortals you have failed.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol you've fired people, gently caress off.

lol

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

actual buckling lolling

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

its not funny. people being unable to read is a real issue on these forums

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol you've fired people, gently caress off.

Lmfao

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hey, I admitted I misread and didn’t edit the post. You gotta take your hits.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You made a donation to the goonfund in the form of comedic value instead of monetary.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Also I lost my job two weeks ago due to corporate cuts. Not in the best headspace.

Not that anyone on SA is in a good headspace lol.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lol MonC ftw

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also I lost my job two weeks ago due to corporate cuts. Not in the best headspace.

buddy, the people here who think they're in a good headspace are the most hosed up of all

hope you land a new job soon

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Wheeee posted:

buddy, the people here who think they're in a good headspace are the most hosed up of all

Thanks. Sorry for the knee jerk reaction.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm sorry, that's awful. I hope you can find a good place soon.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sorry to hear that, goon. Hope things work out for you.

But also your post was incredibly funny.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nothin personnel, kid *teleports behind u and fires u*

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hey, I admitted I misread and didn’t edit the post. You gotta take your hits.

I thought it was funny fwiw

There's a "help me find a job" thread stickied here too :)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's a good thread title.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

update:

speng31b posted:

we ask for anyone willing to donate to PM a committee member with what you can do (reasonable $ limit on requests, can you use PayPal or Venmo or both, any other preferences).

thanks to the donors who have volunteered so far;

- $1785 distributed
- 10 donors registered
- 9 requests fulfilled
- none in progress

speng31b has issued a correction as of 04:35 on Nov 30, 2022

speng31b
May 8, 2010

reminder of google form for goons who needs $ --

wanted to circle back on this

ted hitler hunter posted:

maybe this has already been covered but what resources if any are available to people outside the US & UK?

was kicking around an idea that the current "interim" system could separate off from this thread and become semi-permanent for non-US-UK goons once the corporate bank account is set up for this US goonfund. It would need to be unaffiliated with this one for legal reasons, but I do think it could probably provide the same level of transparency we're able to offer now (in the interim) while enabling goons to direct donate to each other in a seamless way.

(was kingcobweb's idea to possibly apply this to helping goons outside the US/UK, so credit to them)

something to consider.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

update:

- $1885 distributed
- 11 donors registered
- 10 requests fulfilled
- none in progress

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if i was too nervous and shy to ask for enough money the first time, can i submit a second request? i feel really stupid, as usual. lol. i was also hoping that plinkey would get back to me but no such luck

speng31b
May 8, 2010

precision posted:

if i was too nervous and shy to ask for enough money the first time, can i submit a second request?

go for it, no need to worry. if we don't have the donor pool to fulfill right away someone will let you know, but submit what you need

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

To continue our commitment to transparency and to show a bit behind the curtain, here's a small summary of what the committee has discussed in the private channel:

quote:

Committee was worried about people falling through the cracks while incorporation was proceeding.
discussion about setting up a quick google form and getting the word out for donors to sign up
only had two votes, decided to proceed without waiting for full committee
decided to set up second discord channel for committee to handle the actual requests
discussion on whether to keep the google form response from requestees or not, decided to delete to keep personal info confidential
committee reviewed the article of incorporation
committee lamented the lack of printer goon
committee had a vote on a $600 request and whether to meet full amount or cap - no one voted to cap
discussed creating a new thread since the project is past planning stage
thread title changed as compromise step
tiler mailed off the articles of incorporation
committee discussed potential of interim system, speng and kingcobweb proposed a separate project modeled after the interim to help non-americans. Kept separate from the corporation for legal protections.

Most of this you will likely already know happened if you have been following this thread for the past few weeks, but I also wanted to show that the committee is not as bureaucratic as it can come off.

Finally, for the financial disclosures:

There has been $2,295 disbursed ($40 extra spent to register the corporation).
10 people have made donations, 12 people have signed up to make donations.
12 requests have been fulfilled over 19 transactions made.
There is one pending request - requester has stated the need is not an urgent one.

As always a big thanks to the donors, and if you are in need of aid (no matter where you are right now!!) please go here to request help!

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

I was predisposed towards suspicion to this fund, but they came through within 24 hours on a request I didn't mark as urgent out of guilt. Thanks to goons I was able to give the kitty I adopted off the street 15 years ago (with a MUCH different financial outlook, poo poo) a peaceful rest instead of weeks of protracted organ failure so.. Yeah, that was very good and kind and cool of you. One donor included a note with the funds that I was also touched by, I assume it was one of the board members directly given the context. Thank you, she deserved better than she got but she got better than I could provide in the end, and it helped/helps tremendously.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
A way to help people outside the US would be great, a Goon I know is having trouble finding work and the financial situation is causing them a lot of stress and I'd love to be able to point them to this thread but they're in Canada and not the US and the other fund doesn't seem to be operating right now.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Lazy Fair posted:

A way to help people outside the US would be great, a Goon I know is having trouble finding work and the financial situation is causing them a lot of stress and I'd love to be able to point them to this thread but they're in Canada and not the US and the other fund doesn't seem to be operating right now.

Right now the fund is operating in an interim fashion until the paperwork stuff is all cleared, where donors are being connected directly with recipients, so its very possible that your friend could get assisted, if they want to message one of the committee about their needs and want to use paypal / venmo.

After the fund is all incorporated and such, there was an idea that we were batting around of carrying on this practice as some separate project, since yeah there's non-US goons that could use assistance.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Lazy Fair posted:

The plinkey fund is still technically active even if the thread is closed you could try that although IDK for sure if he sent money outside the US

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

spacemang_spliff posted:

The plinkey fund is still technically active even if the thread is closed you could try that although IDK for sure if he sent money outside the US

He does.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I am very very far from an expert, but sending money internationally definitely has some extra challenges (most notably fees and exchange rates, since I doubt the amounts we're talking about are going to raise any regulator eyebrows). Also I'm really not sure what the best way of making such transfers is except that it's definitely not Paypal because they really stack up the fees and I think do some exchange rate shenanigans on top of it. (I've been part of transfers to and from the UK and it works but the sender pays through the nose). (Zelle and Venmo don't support international transactions at all).

This is not to discourage anyone, this is definitely a solvable problem (and I'm glad I'm not the one who has to solve it, lol)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

docbeard posted:

I am very very far from an expert, but sending money internationally definitely has some extra challenges (most notably fees and exchange rates, since I doubt the amounts we're talking about are going to raise any regulator eyebrows). Also I'm really not sure what the best way of making such transfers is except that it's definitely not Paypal because they really stack up the fees and I think do some exchange rate shenanigans on top of it. (I've been part of transfers to and from the UK and it works but the sender pays through the nose). (Zelle and Venmo don't support international transactions at all).

This is not to discourage anyone, this is definitely a solvable problem (and I'm glad I'm not the one who has to solve it, lol)

It's Paypal, OP. The problem has been solved.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

docbeard posted:

I wish I had an answer for this, unfortunately my expertise is in the tracking incoming contributions sphere; if you all are planning to use some fancy CRM (my former employer offers a free tier, and I think there's still a goon on the conversions team!) you may be able to get a "coach" of sorts that can talk through these more complex questions with you. From my very basic understanding you have to have clearance by both national governments so while it is possible to do, it'll definitely take time to set up properly so you don't run afoul of tax law foreign and domestic.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

I wish I had an answer for this, unfortunately my expertise is in the tracking incoming contributions sphere; if you all are planning to use some fancy CRM (my former employer offers a free tier, and I think there's still a goon on the conversions team!) you may be able to get a "coach" of sorts that can talk through these more complex questions with you. From my very basic understanding you have to have clearance by both national governments so while it is possible to do, it'll definitely take time to set up properly so you don't run afoul of tax law foreign and domestic.

Just to be clear, I'm a total outsider for this fund. Just rambling based on personal experience (and as 3DM says, Paypal definitely works, I just feel like there are probably better ways).

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the only solution is for the goon fund to raise seed money and get involved in crypto

but for a non joke answer i am not sure there is a non lovely way to quickly transfer money abroad. given how widespread remittances are it just seems like an area of finance that would be extremely and universally predatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

as several others already mentioned, international is not currently off limits for this fund so people should just submit the requests anyways.

we'll have to limit intentionally when we start using pooled funds in the corporate account, but at that point it's possible to just keep this direct donations system going elsewhere ( outside this thread ) to help international folks, so that doesn't necessarily need to stop. it all depends on if there's enough donors to support it.