Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Medullah posted:

https://twitter.com/swtorista/status/1589702214389751809?s=20&t=gm30RJOfgkKvgOVfg9NdzQ

Might want to link this in the OP Sombrerotron. These are pretty decent "Just playing the game" guides that don't go too much into endgame stuff or optimizing.
Good idea, added a little snippet above the "General advice for new players" section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Medullah posted:

https://twitter.com/swtorista/status/1589702214389751809?s=20&t=gm30RJOfgkKvgOVfg9NdzQ

Might want to link this in the OP Sombrerotron. These are pretty decent "Just playing the game" guides that don't go too much into endgame stuff or optimizing.

"Just basic farting around builds" are all I ever want when I go looking for guides, this owns

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah that's a great idea. Even at its peak, Dulfy was....not easy to read if you were a newbie, this is a good idea (as long as they get updated)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Magmarashi posted:

"Just basic farting around builds" are all I ever want when I go looking for guides, this owns

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah that's a great idea. Even at its peak, Dulfy was....not easy to read if you were a newbie, this is a good idea (as long as they get updated)

Swtorista does a lot of really good guides that aren't as tied to endgame hardcore players like Vulkk or Dulfy back in the day. She has way more drive to do poo poo for SWTOR than I ever have.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sombrerotron posted:

If the launcher from SWTOR.com doesn't work, try installing and playing the game via Steam (if you've already downloaded everything I would guess you can just point Steam to the install folder). The launcher was actually updated recently to resolve issues with downloading, and I haven't had any trouble with it for years, but as always your mileage may vary...

Yeah, I uninstalled the launcher and am trying a download through steam now.

As I understand from the op, if I plan to sub or buy funbux, I should still do that direct through the swtor site.

But here's hoping steam install works.

I havent pc gamed since like 2007. I feel like an old man lmao.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Error 404 posted:

As I understand from the op, if I plan to sub or buy funbux, I should still do that direct through the swtor site.

But here's hoping steam install works.

I havent pc gamed since like 2007. I feel like an old man lmao.
Yeah, for whatever reason subscribing to SWTOR through Steam does not always actually work: there's a chance that your payment will basically be processed but you'll still be F2P as far as SWTOR's servers are concerned. Solving that requires contacting SWTOR's support and you have to send them details of your purchase through Steam and it's just a hassle. Not quite sure if the same applies to Cartel Market coins, but better safe than sorry there as well I'd say.

In any event you're less likely to have difficulty starting the game itself if you're using Steam, although with PCs you never know of course so congrats on getting back into the perils of PC gaming.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Oh yeah, for those who might be interested:

https://twitter.com/SWTOR/status/1590041460824363008?cxt=HHwWgMCiqZiS-5AsAAAA

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sombrerotron posted:

Yeah, for whatever reason subscribing to SWTOR through Steam does not always actually work: there's a chance that your payment will basically be processed but you'll still be F2P as far as SWTOR's servers are concerned. Solving that requires contacting SWTOR's support and you have to send them details of your purchase through Steam and it's just a hassle. Not quite sure if the same applies to Cartel Market coins, but better safe than sorry there as well I'd say.

In any event you're less likely to have difficulty starting the game itself if you're using Steam, although with PCs you never know of course so congrats on getting back into the perils of PC gaming.

Yeah steam worked for me, using my browser to buy stuff eventually won't be a problem.

Also, been fuckin around the last couple days, I like it so far, and I'll probably stick around enough for at least a 2 month sub.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/swtorista/status/1590432557208076288?s=20&t=2V-oCYEkcoyy-D75E7ftNw

Wow, Ranked PvP going away entirely. PvP becoming more like Galactic Seasons.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

:siren: New promo code for a free decoration, redeemable for just one week: LotSGallore :siren:

edit:
https://twitter.com/SWTOR/status/1590427433114673154?s=20&t=BzQvXVJ7FrBkSRCFB97oSg

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 9, 2022

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Medullah posted:

Wow, Ranked PvP going away entirely. PvP becoming more like Galactic Seasons.

nice. sweaty pvp nerds are the worst

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

nice. sweaty pvp nerds are the worst

lol so now instead of massacring pug's in premades some of the time when Ranked isn't popping I'll be massacring pug's in premades most of the time.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Nice work immediately proving the post above you correct. Very efficient.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Hey so if you can't wait, 7.2 is up on PTS. Also there's a screenshot of the new planet:

:prepop:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

hopefully it's better optimized than manaan. the game ran like dogshit there

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I just wonder if anything's going to happen in this patch or if we'll once again be standing around while cutscenes play that are about other characters up to something or another going on elsewhere.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I just wonder if anything's going to happen in this patch or if we'll once again be standing around while cutscenes play that are about other characters up to something or another going on elsewhere.
Presumably there will be less of a focus on exposition this time round. Here's a nice little summary from what was revealed during the livestream. Contains some basic spoilers, natch.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Was there ever a solution for the camera just going whatever the gently caress way it wants when you right click and hold in order to move it? Christ it's annoying

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Was there ever a solution for the camera just going whatever the gently caress way it wants when you right click and hold in order to move it? Christ it's annoying

Not that I can find but everyone suffers from it and I'd believe if the devs said "we don't know why it happens either"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

god dammit lmao

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

When it happens to me I just jam on both mouse buttons a couple times and it seems to fix it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Turning down the polling rate on the mouse seems to have at the very least lessened it, didn't test long enough though

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Got around to logging in again to try grab stuff from the anniversary vendor. After the initial shock of "where are my quickbars gone?" followed by "why are there so many gaps?" the next question on my mind is "why does middle clicking now activate Take Cover?" :psyduck:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Got around to logging in again to try grab stuff from the anniversary vendor. After the initial shock of "where are my quickbars gone?" followed by "why are there so many gaps?" the next question on my mind is "why does middle clicking now activate Take Cover?" :psyduck:

Sounds like you lost your key binds. Those are stored locally so if you ever uninstalled or moved to steam you had to manually back them up and copy them

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I don't think I ever changed my keybinds. Middle-clicking is also controlling the camera so it's an extremely odd situation anyway. Probably due to me updating the version on my wife's laptop that's been sitting unused since 2020.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I haven't played in a few months but once again my custom binds have disappeared. I save them with their own name, but they've gone >poof< again.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't think I ever changed my keybinds. Middle-clicking is also controlling the camera so it's an extremely odd situation anyway. Probably due to me updating the version on my wife's laptop that's been sitting unused since 2020.

Dick Trauma posted:

I haven't played in a few months but once again my custom binds have disappeared. I save them with their own name, but they've gone >poof< again.
It does seem to happen from time to time that updates will reset keybinds and I think even UI settings, but they should be there in the game to be reloaded/reapplied again. They shouldn't spontaneously disappear from your drive (or the SWTOR servers, in case of UI configs), but I suppose you never know with PCs.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yep, all your key bindings should be in the SWTOR folder located in AppData. Dunno what could happen to actually delete them from there.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

So apparently there is a Visas Marr outfit; what would I be realistically looking to do or spend to get my hands on it?

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Sarkozymandias posted:

So apparently there is a Visas Marr outfit; what would I be realistically looking to do or spend to get my hands on it?

The Last Handmaiden set.

Buy it off the Cartel Market for ~15 worth of funbux or off the GTN for several hundred million credits.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I may or may not have about 5 years worth of free funbux waiting for me when I return to the game.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

The Last Handmaiden set.
As the name suggests, that's actually based on the outfit worn by the Handmaiden. For Visas Marr's look, you'll be wanting the aptly-named Visas Marr set.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So, how does the classless stuff work? Can I play as a Sith Warrior doing the Republic Commando storyline?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jokes posted:

So, how does the classless stuff work? Can I play as a Sith Warrior doing the Republic Commando storyline?

The non-Force classes are interchangeable, you can play a Trooper, Smuggler, Agent, or Bounty Hunter doing any of those four stories.

The glowstick brigade is segregated into their own side of things, and by faction/alignment. The two Jedi can do each others' stories, and the two Sith. Except if you get a Jedi to max Dark Side points you can change mid-game to a Sith class (you're still on the Republic side), or if you get a Sith to max Light Side points you can change mid-game to a Jedi.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah the best way to think about it is that they separated the classes from their stories. Too many of the stories rely on class warfare between force and not-force for them to let me play an agent inquisitor though.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Cythereal posted:

The non-Force classes are interchangeable, you can play a Trooper, Smuggler, Agent, or Bounty Hunter doing any of those four stories.

The glowstick brigade is segregated into their own side of things, and by faction/alignment. The two Jedi can do each others' stories, and the two Sith. Except if you get a Jedi to max Dark Side points you can change mid-game to a Sith class (you're still on the Republic side), or if you get a Sith to max Light Side points you can change mid-game to a Jedi.

For Sith/Jedi - I'm assuming you mean that once they get max dark/light, they can select a second class for that character, correct? Because they can't actually replace their original chosen class. Also should add - if you have any character on your legacy that has gotten full dark, then you can select a sith class for Jedi story (and vice versa).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Basically I just want to use the Sith animations or use a lightsaber to do the trooper/smuggler storylines but it seems that is Not Allowed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

jokes posted:

Basically I just want to use the Sith animations or use a lightsaber to do the trooper/smuggler storylines but it seems that is Not Allowed.

Yeah it wouldn't make a lot of sense for a Sniper to use Force Lightning in a cut scene, or an Assassin to pull out a rifle

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I hope they can add a few more combat styles now that they've bifurcated them from the storylines and don't have to worry about new voice actors or w/e.

Off the top of my head a Muggle combat style that relies in vibroblades would be cool, or a Force-user that uses a gun in their offhand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Medullah posted:

Yeah it wouldn't make a lot of sense for a Sniper to use Force Lightning in a cut scene, or an Assassin to pull out a rifle

Sez u