Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Virtue posted:

Anyone know what the heck is going on with foreign visas and suica/passmo on iPhone? I googled this issue and can see chatter about it going back months but there still appears to be no resolution. Getting a little antsy since my trip is coming up and I don't have any amex or mastercards.

Yeah please specify, there’s a difference between Visa cards and visas.

That said, I did use my U.S. card to add money through the Apple Wallet not long ago, but otherwise just buy a Suica or Pasmo or whatever at a train station and charge up the old fashioned way. Yen is cheap :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BB2K posted:

This is the gooniest post I've ever read
Happy to help.
In my defense, I picked up that habit from being in London last November when it was a lot cooler and I had to wear the gloves anyway :D
A somewhat less goony (sp?) way is to just keep the Suica in that little watch pocket that most pairs of jeans seem to come with. Less convenient, but good in warmer climates like Tokyo.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I hope Haneda re-opens the Starry Night Cafe again soon, because that place was awesome. I also had my first espresso tonic at HND, which I promptly became addicted to. And I got my monorail version Suica card there. I have fond memories of that airport.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Hey all, x-posting from all Japan and Disney related threads, so hopefully this is okay…

This is a long-rear end shot in the dark, but would anyone here happen to be going into the Disney Parks over the next few days? I was just there and didn’t realize that a hoodie I wanted would only be available inside the park gates and not even available in Ikspiari or Bon Voyage. Would be super appreciative if anyone would be willing to grab a couple of hoodies for me and my wife and meet me somewhere at a point of convenience to get them and Venmo or whatever.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Try Reddit Tokyo and Tokyo expat network on Facebook , good luck

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Check Mercari and Mercari fwders

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
This might be a pretty heavy question and answers may come with strong opinions - that's a good thing for this case, I'd love to get all range of input.

If I'm not bringing a sport coat/blazer/suit in my luggage (slacks, dressy shoes, button-down shirt at most), what's the single most amazing dinner in terms of the food served that should be the One Big Tokyo Splurge Dinner? I'm gunning for things that can't be found in the NYC metro area, because I'm a spoiled jaded food nerd. I'll definitely be making time to try basashi, whale (if available), fugu (if I can muster up the courage and ensure my life insurance policy is OK with it), chicken or shrimp sashimi, etc.

We're arriving in late March so we have enough time to ask the hotel or my friend in Tokyo to attempt to book at Jiro, but Tadenoha seems absolutely amazing - I don't think I've ever heard of a place that has a shot at serving bear. Even if it's not in season and thus unavailable, it seems like a heck of a menu.

It doesn't have to be sushi, or even Japanese. Doesn't have to have a view or a famous name. I just don't want to have to pack a suit, nor does my wife want to pack a cocktail dress or similar. Doesn't have to have Michelin stars, doesn't even have to be within Tokyo proper - I'd much rather be able to try, I dunno, artisanal Uzbek cuisine (and yes I did see the Uzbek place on the goon food map, that is 100% on my radar) that's simply outstanding and happens to be out in Chiba or Saitama or elsewhere.

Something really memorable, in the "price is no object but I'd like to keep it at $500 per person before beverages" range. I want to be able to look at my wife when we're in our 80s and be all "hey, you remember our dinner at X in Tokyo? Good stuff"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

This might be a pretty heavy question and answers may come with strong opinions - that's a good thing for this case, I'd love to get all range of input.

If I'm not bringing a sport coat/blazer/suit in my luggage (slacks, dressy shoes, button-down shirt at most), what's the single most amazing dinner in terms of the food served that should be the One Big Tokyo Splurge Dinner? I'm gunning for things that can't be found in the NYC metro area, because I'm a spoiled jaded food nerd. I'll definitely be making time to try basashi, whale (if available), fugu (if I can muster up the courage and ensure my life insurance policy is OK with it), chicken or shrimp sashimi, etc.

We're arriving in late March so we have enough time to ask the hotel or my friend in Tokyo to attempt to book at Jiro, but Tadenoha seems absolutely amazing - I don't think I've ever heard of a place that has a shot at serving bear. Even if it's not in season and thus unavailable, it seems like a heck of a menu.

It doesn't have to be sushi, or even Japanese. Doesn't have to have a view or a famous name. I just don't want to have to pack a suit, nor does my wife want to pack a cocktail dress or similar. Doesn't have to have Michelin stars, doesn't even have to be within Tokyo proper - I'd much rather be able to try, I dunno, artisanal Uzbek cuisine (and yes I did see the Uzbek place on the goon food map, that is 100% on my radar) that's simply outstanding and happens to be out in Chiba or Saitama or elsewhere.

Something really memorable, in the "price is no object but I'd like to keep it at $500 per person before beverages" range. I want to be able to look at my wife when we're in our 80s and be all "hey, you remember our dinner at X in Tokyo? Good stuff"

Along these lines, is the goon food recommendation post still accurate?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MJP posted:

Based on what I've read/heard from others, if price is not much of an option, go for the most expensive, high end sushi, you can find.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Narisawa (unique presentation, obsessed with nature)
https://cjpf.jp/modelcase/detail/index/19?lang=en

Meson Cervantes (on roof of Spanish govt cultural center)
https://maps.app.goo.gl/8mDMwNkPhKVqtTfXA

groin groin (not rare but it's called groin groin)
https://g.co/kgs/oLPQwV

atelier 森本 XEX (luxury sushi and teppanyaki)
03-3479-0065
https://maps.app.goo.gl/U2iNFri45zxtRBFu7

four best luxury French
https://www.kiwamino.com/articles/selections/13019

French with view from 45th floor
https://azure45.ritzcarltontokyo.com/en/

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Since food is being taken about: is there a go-to pace for less than $150 a person for fugu in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, or Nara?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Fugu isn't expensive at all.

Edit: oh unless you mean the premium stuff there's likely a bunch of places, dunno about a "go to" fugu restaurant though.

Charles 2 of Spain fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 1, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It also tastes like nothing. Don't feel the need to go out of your way to get some unless you just really need to check it off your list. Tilapia is a riot of flavor in comparison.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

It also tastes like nothing. Don't feel the need to go out of your way to get some unless you just really need to check it off your list. Tilapia is a riot of flavor in comparison.

I really want to check it off my list.

That and okonomiyaki are my two biggest food goals. I will probably get okonomiyaki a few times.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ham Equity posted:

That and okonomiyaki are my two biggest food goals. I will probably get okonomiyaki a few times.

Knock them out at once, get fugu in your okonomiyaki

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Don’t go to the Uzbek place.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Ham Equity posted:

If you don't eat it in Osaka it doesn't count (fight me Hiroshima goons)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
^^truth^^

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Hiroshima okonomiyaki is better, no question (I live here and my wife is from here, totally no bias :D )

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

If you don't eat it in Osaka it doesn't count (fight me Hiroshima goons)

I would appreciate any recommendations for outstanding okonomiyaki.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The place at the train station

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Ham Equity posted:

If you go to the Sky Building close to Umeda, the underground area is decked out with retro stuff from Japan. There's a decent okonomiyaki joint called Kiji.
http://www.takimikoji.jp/shop/kiji/

You can also take the elevator to the top of the Sky Building and there's a nice sunset view of Osaka.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ham Equity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjpSKxlNAds&t=7s

I've eaten at the Osaka one and it was fine. A perfectly normal example of Osaka okonomiyaki.

It's sort of out of the way. There's a decent place in Amemura that is just off the main center that is pretty good. https://www.google.com/maps/place/K...62!4d135.497044 I've been there 4 times. Twice I got a seat. The other two times it was packed so I went around the corner to the Ippudo that is right there. (chain ramen place that, IMO, is better than average but I don't really know much) Anyway, that place always seems to have every seat full of locals which is usually a sign of decent food.

E: https://goo.gl/maps/2vPVh98i5r1eL6bM7
I really like this one.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 1, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ham Equity posted:

Go to Hiroshima.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Grand Fromage posted:

Go to Hiroshima.

Do this even if you don't care about the food.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hiroshima is not on the itinerary for this trip. Almost certainly next time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

Hiroshima is not on the itinerary for this trip. Almost certainly next time.

There are Hiroshima style places in Tokyo, should get some to compare. I have never been to any so don't have a personal rec.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

There are Hiroshima style places in Tokyo, should get some to compare. I have never been to any so don't have a personal rec.

A good one I found is on the 2nd or 3rd floor of the Hiroshima ‘brand shop’ that’s in Ginza

Hiroshima brand shop TAU
03-5579-9952
https://maps.app.goo.gl/23hj1mDxom6KtUod9?g_st=ic

Note that there are a few other similar prefectural brand shops (アンテナショップ also a term) in and around central Tokyo, I know there’s also a Okinawa one in Ginza and Nagasaki in Nihonbashi. They stock some of the local specialities that are sold or produced in those different places around Japan.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
If U want to try fugu jsut get some for a dollar at Kura or sushiro

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

MJP posted:

you can wear what you want to a restaurant as long as it's not too ridiculous, and even then it's unlikely anyone will point it out. you can have really good or even expensive food and as long as you're not wearing shorts or something

here's a japanese source talking about it: https://ichizen.online/niigataclip-blog/923/ basically as long as you look clean it's fine to wear pretty casual stuff even in a fancy sushi place. the idea that you should dress up in a suit for a restaurant is mostly a western (american) idea

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Oh nice, thanks! That's really good to know, I was mostly concerned with not looking too out of place or Loud Oblivious American Jerk Tourist.

Regarding omakase situations - is it kosher to go omakase but we don't want X? My wife isn't a fan of ikura or tobiko, so I'd definitely add "omakase, but please no X" to the list of phrases and possible anticipatory responses.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yes it's absolutely no problem, they'll swap it out with something else.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
Any time I've done omakase at a fancy place the chef always asked if there was anything that you didn't like or couldn't eat before he started making the courses.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ham Equity posted:

https://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1301/A130103/13159860/

This place in Shinbashi is great. I've taken guests there tons of times and my parents said it was the best meal they've had in Japan. And this was after we had been to some crazy expensive Kaiseki place with the Vice President of a very famous university.

Also, Fugu is not worth going out of your way for.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hello friends. My wife and I are going to fly in on Feb 1 and fly out Feb 24. We have a hell of a long time in Japan. I usually like taking a few months to plan a trip but the wife won a long battle.

We are currently landing at Narita, spending the night, and then heading up to Hokkaido for the Sapporo Snow Festival's opening day on the 5th. Then traveling down to Hakodate on the 6th. We know we want to bookend the trip with Kyoto(1-2days)>Osaka(4-5 days because we have a friend here)>Tokyo(6 days from 19th-24th).

What's an efficient way to work our way south from Hokkaido? Hokkaido hotels are booked because everything was filling up. Wife currently has a rough outline of Yamagata>Sendai>Kanazawa .

We're currently planning to get a premium 14 day JR pass for the first part of the trip since we will be on the train a lot and I feel like we will be tired af once we get to Tokyo so we will just chill for the latter half.

Once last question where's a good fancy spot to spend a night or two in or shortly outside Tokyo? Wife's bday is the 20th and I'd like to treat her.

Only restrictions we have is we both have visible tattoos.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
If you are in Narita come stop by Ned and Breakfast or at least let me take you out for drinks there.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I got fugu at a ¥100 conveyor belt sushi place. Didn't really like it, but it makes a good story.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

What's an efficient way to work our way south from Hokkaido? Hokkaido hotels are booked because everything was filling up. Wife currently has a rough outline of Yamagata>Sendai>Kanazawa .

FYI, bullet train from Sendai to Kanazawa has to go through Tokyo. Can’t go direct. Plan accordingly.

quote:

We're currently planning to get a premium 14 day JR pass for the first part of the trip since we will be on the train a lot and I feel like we will be tired af once we get to Tokyo so we will just chill for the latter half.

Once last question where's a good fancy spot to spend a night or two in or shortly outside Tokyo? Wife's bday is the 20th and I'd like to treat her.

Usual JR pass caveats apply - but I think you’ll be using bullet trains coming from Hokkaido back enough to justify. Honestly, feel free to bag the pass if and when you get truly into Tokyo and using local lines, having to check in and out of the gates is a hassle and you’ll have amortized the value of the passes already.

Fancy spot in Tokyo? Nice hotels are always a good option. Take your pick of area and chain.

Outside Tokyo? Hakone basically exists as a nice weekend trip location, Atami is also possible as well.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ned posted:

If you are in Narita come stop by Ned and Breakfast or at least let me take you out for drinks there.

I'm def down to grab a drink. Wife has already booked the tokyo hotels to start and end the trip so we will have to coordinate something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

harperdc posted:

FYI, bullet train from Sendai to Kanazawa has to go through Tokyo. Can’t go direct. Plan accordingly.

Usual JR pass caveats apply - but I think you’ll be using bullet trains coming from Hokkaido back enough to justify. Honestly, feel free to bag the pass if and when you get truly into Tokyo and using local lines, having to check in and out of the gates is a hassle and you’ll have amortized the value of the passes already.

Fancy spot in Tokyo? Nice hotels are always a good option. Take your pick of area and chain.

Outside Tokyo? Hakone basically exists as a nice weekend trip location, Atami is also possible as well.

yeah i was telling my wife if she wants a birthday ryokan or something we should stop in hakone on our way back to tokyo from osaka. we've stayed a yama no chaya they were great but i think we'd want to check out another place.

trip is looking like this now because i knew i wanted to go to see the western half since we didn't check out west of osaka our first trip.

2/2 narita-tokyo arrival
3/2-5/2 sapporo
6/2 hakodate
7/2-8/2 sendai
9/2-10/2 kanazawa
11/2-13/2 fukuoka
14/2-18/2 osaka
19/2-20/2 ??? fancy tokyo hotel or hakone ryokan
21/2-24/2 tokyo