Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lots of doctors are dumb as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Laterite posted:

lots of doctors are dumb as hell

they’re bread that way

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

mawarannahr posted:

they’re bread that way

Get a loaf of this guy

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
the avs make me think Bernie is just laughing at his own awful puns

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

from what ive heard from people whove been there medical school is practically set up to be as debilitating and traumatizing as possible

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

from what ive heard from people whove been there medical school is practically set up to be as debilitating and traumatizing as possible

IIRC The scheduling around residencies was set up by a doctor who was, no joke, working on the assumption that residents would be prescribing themselves cocaine.

Also if you think lots of doctors smoke, you should see nurses.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

saner nations have their doctors trained out from purely undergraduate coures

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Also, the reason he was addicted in the first place is that he was self-perscribing, which is extremely not allowed... and his specialty is, supposedly, addiction. It's like an oncologist who specializes in lung cancer going, "Welp, I'm off the clock, time to chain smoke four packs and then breathe in a bunch of asbestos."

Jorpy wasn't abuse drugs in his role as a headshrinker he was abusing them in his role as a c list celebrity

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

One More Fat Nerd posted:

IIRC The scheduling around residencies was set up by a doctor who was, no joke, working on the assumption that residents would be prescribing themselves cocaine.

Also if you think lots of doctors smoke, you should see nurses.

i used to hang around with/buy coke from a dude who worked in a hospital cafeteria and he claimed his #1 customers were all surgeons

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Lib and let die posted:

i used to hang around with/buy coke from a dude who worked in a hospital cafeteria and he claimed his #1 customers were all surgeons
I bet residency makes a lot of new coke addicts. Personally though, I'd rather my surgeon take a couple nips from a flask of whiskey before working on me. Keep those hands nice and steady.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

cat botherer posted:

I bet residency makes a lot of new coke addicts. Personally though, I'd rather my surgeon take a couple nips from a flask of whiskey before working on me. Keep those hands nice and steady.

it's a hospital, they have access to benzos

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

cat botherer posted:

Personally though, I'd rather my surgeon take a couple nips from a flask of whiskey before working on me. Keep those hands nice and steady.

the killing of a sacred deer explores these themes, and more, in great detail

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Lib and let die posted:

it's a hospital, they have access to benzos

the real kingpins are the people who work in the pharmacy

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Endman posted:

Loads of doctors smoke and it drives me insane

They also get shitfaced all the time and laugh at your x-rays and generally act like frat boys when they are not patient visible.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I want a doctor that can smoke weed with me as we discuss asthma medication

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

and a looooooong jacket

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Endman posted:

Loads of doctors smoke and it drives me insane

https://ps.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/ps.50.10.1346

it can be good if their on antipsychotics and might have low level benefits from use if you're broke brained?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Armadillo Tank posted:

https://ps.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/ps.50.10.1346

it can be good if their on antipsychotics and might have low level benefits from use if you're broke brained?

but there's much better, less stinky ways to get nicotine

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

the killing of a sacred deer explores these themes, and more, in great detail

heh

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

indigi posted:

but there's lamer, less cool ways to get nicotine

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Koishi Komeiji posted:

They also get shitfaced all the time and laugh at your x-rays and generally act like frat boys when they are not patient visible.

I'd love to say this isn't true because my wife is a doctor and she's a nice person, but she literally yelled "gently caress you Dr. (her boss)" so loudly in the staff room the other day I'm sure the entire hospital heard :v:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

calling it a sacrifice is not good

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Endman posted:

I'd love to say this isn't true because my wife is a doctor and she's a nice person, but she literally yelled "gently caress you Dr. (her boss)" so loudly in the staff room the other day I'm sure the entire hospital heard :v:

it’s ok to tell the rest of that story :allears:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Endman posted:

Congrats on your new polycule

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Hot take: Smoking isn't cool

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Subjunctive posted:

it’s ok to tell the rest of that story :allears:

there’s nothing more to it really, just an outburst about an overbearing superior

senior doctors seem to all have it in their heads that because they were treated poorly when they were more junior, that means they have to continue the tradition and treat their juniors like garbage

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The technical term is kōhai

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Koishi Komeiji posted:

is that scene in Raw (2016) actually what it’s like?

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

is that scene in Raw (2016) actually what it’s like?

I don't know what you're talking about but I work around doctors and they have a fake persona they put on when with patients and then talk poo poo behind your back. I thought this was common knowledge but I guess not.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

hmm you should watch Raw (2016)

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

hmm you should watch Raw (2016)

Yeah I just looked it up now and it seems cool, thanks!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I don't know what you're talking about but I work around doctors and they have a fake persona they put on when with patients and then talk poo poo behind your back. I thought this was common knowledge but I guess not.

i mean every customer facing job does, not gonna begrudge em that. as long as they aren't making medical decisions based on smack talk or treating some people worse who gives a poo poo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kitfox88 posted:

i mean every customer facing job does, not gonna begrudge em that. as long as they aren't making medical decisions based on smack talk or treating some people worse who gives a poo poo

bad news, friend

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
:sigh:

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Koishi Komeiji posted:

they absolutely do lol

not a medical professional but I have worked with them for years and it's always a trip seeing their notes to the patient like "so sorry this happened to you, mr smith. I'm calling you in a prescription for the pain" then they turn to you and go "this mf got shot in the rear end"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tokin opposition posted:

The technical term is kōhai

I remember they blamed this for that Korean airline that crashed in California some years ago. Was that for real or just Orientalism?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

I remember they blamed this for that Korean airline that crashed in California some years ago. Was that for real or just Orientalism?

Orientalism

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Koishi Komeiji posted:

where I would work I would assume the doctors real persona only comes out at home with their immigrant family

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Subjunctive posted:

bad news, friend

this is why you just be really pushy and demand they document everything in your chart. you can force them to be somewhat competent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

indigi posted:

this is why you just be really pushy and demand they document everything in your chart. you can force them to be somewhat competent

wait, they don't do this in hospitals where you're from?

what do they make the interns do if not meticulously take notes of everything?