Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It would basically have to be maxing out a 15 amp circuit 24/7 at ~11c/kWhr to hit $100/mo.

OK, so cold is less than ideal. What about heat? Do I care if the garage is pushing 100F?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
For what it's worth, I actively measure my power usage on my Ender 3s, and they average around 50w for printing PLA in a relatively cool (usually about 60F) room. The one printer that's in an enclosure actually uses slightly less, on average, but it's an OG Ender 3 and not a v2, so it's not a straight apples-to-apples comparison.

It's really hard to make an average-sized FDM printer use any appreciable amount of electricity. My small print farm running nearly constantly barely makes a dent in our electricity bill.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I should probably point out that the printer in question was a cheap Monoprice from ‘16 that eventually lit its circuit boards on fire like a year after I pulled it outta the garage. It wasn’t high end kit by any stretch. But it did have an appreciable effect on my power bill when I moved it inside - or at least it’s the only thing I changed the months that had a noticeable impact.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Crossposting about my busted Saturn from the tabletop 3dp thread:

Sockser posted:

Alright. Lotta images coming through.

First, the Mars 2:

And the Saturn:

This is absolutely RMA territory and not user error, right?
What else could possibly be going wrong on my end that I have not captured here?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Sockser posted:

Crossposting about my busted Saturn from the tabletop 3dp thread:

Any recent shanges to feps,screen protectors etc?

I have no idea what temp a resin printer should be lol but your making me want to buy a flir

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Any recent shanges to feps,screen protectors etc?

I have no idea what temp a resin printer should be lol but your making me want to buy a flir

Bought it in April; could not get good prints out of it
Went back and forth with Elegoo support (their diagnostics were not great, to say the least)
They sent me a new LCD
Had two more failing prints and just kind of ignored the problem until a few weeks ago.
Like straight up the last failing print was just chilling in there for six months

I did just change the FEP (all these failing prints really do a number on it), but it has never really actually printed correctly.
Had prints melting off their supports even at 5.5s exposure times

I'm 95% sure it's not me, but I wanted to get a goon consensus before I started the long process of dealing with Elegoo support again

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Rockman Reserve posted:

all I know is that when I ran my FDM in my garage in the late fall/early winter in the US midwest my power bill was over a hundred bucks higher than when I put it in my basement two months later. I’m just one person, though, and that was a printer from six years ago that I eventually ran down into scrap, so I’m not saying my experience is definitive here.

I think what you're seeing, is opening the door to the garage frequently rather than the power draw of the printer.

To be clear, I believe you that your bill went up. But it wasn't "the printer drawing massive amounts of power".

AlternateAccount posted:

It would basically have to be maxing out a 15 amp circuit 24/7 at ~11c/kWhr to hit $100/mo.

OK, so cold is less than ideal. What about heat? Do I care if the garage is pushing 100F?

No. You'll want more part cooling. But part cooling is about "moving air" not "temperature of air" mostly.

mewse
May 2, 2006

looks like prusaslicer will finally be getting tree supports, calling them ”organic supports”

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

w00tmonger posted:

For some reason one of my flex plates has an INSANE amount of hold on the miniatures im printing. lowering the bottom exposure seems to just add to a higher failure rate though so I'm not really sure why...

Did sanding the plate makes things stick to well? Not really sure what the solution is here.

This is going to sound like a smart rear end remark, but I promise it's not - does its come off when you flex the plate? I can't imagine something being so stuck it wouldn't pop off if you bend the plate.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

This is going to sound like a smart rear end remark, but I promise it's not - does its come off when you flex the plate? I can't imagine something being so stuck it wouldn't pop off if you bend the plate.

Not at all lol, thats the weird thing. Flex plates on all my other machines are fine, this one seems like the resin is chemically bonded to it

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

w00tmonger posted:

Not at all lol, thats the weird thing. Flex plates on all my other machines are fine, this one seems like the resin is chemically bonded to it

Goddamn. Wow. May be time to replace the plate, I guess. I've never had that happen. One time I forgot to put the plate on and the minis became part of the magnetic pad and would not come off, but I've never had it happen to the flex plate. :iiam:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

mewse posted:

looks like prusaslicer will finally be getting tree supports, calling them ”organic supports”

Which, as near as I can tell, Thomas Rahm came up with? It's AGPL, so they can use it, but they're being quiet about credit even as a works-cited. All roads lead to Prusa, I guess.

https://github.com/ThomasRahm/CuraEngine

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

Goddamn. Wow. May be time to replace the plate, I guess. I've never had that happen. One time I forgot to put the plate on and the minis became part of the magnetic pad and would not come off, but I've never had it happen to the flex plate. :iiam:

yeah that's kind of where I am at the moment. Temp was -25 ish last night and I had a poo poo ton of failures overnight, so I think Im re-evaluating my whole set up at the moment.

Might just make do for now and put a space heater in the room with my printers, but it has me looking at the phenom forge again which seems engineered for my case of living in canada

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

yeah that's kind of where I am at the moment. Temp was -25 ish last night and I had a poo poo ton of failures overnight, so I think Im re-evaluating my whole set up at the moment.

Might just make do for now and put a space heater in the room with my printers, but it has me looking at the phenom forge again which seems engineered for my case of living in canada

I just ordered a kapton belt heater for my resin vat, going to try that in the (5c) garage. I think it was $30 for the whole kit, will post after I've had a chance to test it out.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Huh, I wonder if a 'resin vat heater' will ever become a common thing. I don't own a resin printer but I swear the number one cause of 'my prints started loving up out of nowhere' seems to be temperature issues. And really, it's only the vat that needs to be heated right?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Slap a kill-a-watt on it. I love doing that with all my random new projects.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

BadMedic posted:

Huh, I wonder if a 'resin vat heater' will ever become a common thing. I don't own a resin printer but I swear the number one cause of 'my prints started loving up out of nowhere' seems to be temperature issues. And really, it's only the vat that needs to be heated right?

Technically, it's the resin and not the vat, but yes.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

BadMedic posted:

I hope so, but I think it's a lot of extra cost for a lot of people that don't live in cold climates.Really hard to argue $1k for a peoply forge when you can get 2 Saturn's for the cost.

I think I'll set up a space heater for now and buy a sensor to record overnight temps in the room

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BadMedic posted:

It's a thing

https://camremotes.com/shop/rh/resin-heater-ph1/

Found a bunch of videos on youtube after searching for resin vat heaters too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

BadMedic posted:

Professional SLA printers all have heaters to get the resin up to temperature before printing, yes.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Professional SLA printers all have heaters to get the resin up to temperature before printing, yes.

Neat. I wonder what the optimal temp is for resin printing? I mean I assume the answer is 'depends on the resin', but general ballpark?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
About 30-40 C for most of the stuff I've used.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

BadMedic posted:

Neat. I wonder what the optimal temp is for resin printing? I mean I assume the answer is 'depends on the resin', but general ballpark?

Phrozen's Aqua Grey 4k, and Anycubic's clear resin specify 20-25C.
I imagine that accounts for the goop heating up a bit under the uv light + the curing as well.

I think the ballpark is just 'above 20' unless the resin explicitly demands more.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 1, 2022

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

mattfl posted:

It's a thing

https://camremotes.com/shop/rh/resin-heater-ph1/

Found a bunch of videos on youtube after searching for resin vat heaters too

Geez Louise, 100euro is a ton. That's very much why I don't think they'll necessarily catch on.

Pointing a heater towards my printers in the room, no failures on the 4 hours of printing that's happened so far.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

There's a less expensive and fairly popular DIY heater design that's been around almost since home resin printing became really popular:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3442165

And a shameless plug for my friend Geoff's YT channel, he made a pretty good video last year about assembling one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQmmGj6gMdk
(just noticed that's also linked from the Thingiverse page, so I guess that's two endorsements?)

I keep saying I'm going to make one, because the shop area does get a little cool this time of year, but I usually end up just not using the machine much until spring rolls back around because I'm a lazy poo poo.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

Geez Louise, 100euro is a ton. That's very much why I don't think they'll necessarily catch on.

Pointing a heater towards my printers in the room, no failures on the 4 hours of printing that's happened so far.

I ordered from one https://thermalvatband.com/ (~$30) a few days ago. Once I have it in hand I'll post my thoughts. I was going to mount a die heater into an aluminum block and bolt it onto the side of the resin tank with a simple thermal switch, but the kapton tape kit looks to be an easier setup. My goal is to have it in a garage that is ~ 5C.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Sockser posted:

e-mailed Elegoo support.
They asked for a big long list of things, as they do, serial numbers, ctb files, resin information, photos of x, photos of y, print this rook, etc etc
and they dropped a little nugget in there

Suppose you at one point owned a Mars and a Mars 2. You get a Saturn, and decide to remove the original Mars.
Now suppose you are shuffling around your workspace, and you go to plug in the Saturn, and you grab the loose power cable that is sitting there.
Suppose, perhaps, that the Saturn has absolutely no undervoltage warning at all.

I have been running this Saturn on a 12V power supply the entire loving time.

You would think that a machine running at half voltage would have a warning or not work at all, but here we are!

My cones+sirayatech print mostly worked at 3s (could probably go 3.2, I dunno)
So I think we are now in business!

Kill me.
drat near $100 in wasted resin, and I had just plugged in the wrong power cable.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Sockser posted:

Kill me.
drat near $100 in wasted resin, and I had just plugged in the wrong power cable.

Wow! :aaa: Well, at least you got it solved!

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Oh man, that sucks. It's the kind of "failure" mode that very few of us would probably think to look for right away. Happy to hear that you got it sorted out though!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sockser posted:

Kill me.

Was gonna say, taps thread title, but looks like we have a much worse title now

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Sockser posted:

Kill me.

ah gently caress lol. Ive done this one before with a mars/saturn

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Was gonna say, taps thread title, but looks like we have a much worse title now

Now that I have bought a glow-forge and some other accessories I have spent about 10k, but am now fully ready to save some money.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sockser posted:

Kill me.

One time I was asked to look at an external hard drive that wasn't working. When I got to the guy's office there was a laptop power supply on his desk, and the 12V that goes to the external plugged in. I asked if he had used the laptop power supply on the external and he said no. The enclosure light just blinked which according to seagate support just meant a problem with the disk or controller. We just ended up getting him a replacement since they were bigger and cheaper now. I took the enclosure apart and the over-voltage protection diode on the disk controller was shorted. He 100% used the 18-20V laptop supply in his external case and killed it. I was able to get the disk working again by removing the protection diode but it's not in a state to be returned to anyone or used regularly, fortunately it was only a 4TB and a new 12TB was like $200.

So, it could've been worse!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Now that I have bought a glow-forge and some other accessories I have spent about 10k, but am now fully ready to save some money.

Did you get the orange springs?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Marsupial Ape posted:

Did you get the orange springs?

Only one part of glowforge shipment received yet, the accessory box. Main box doesn't arrive until Wednesday. So I will get them then u less they are an aftermarket part.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Mini trip report: Bambu X1 Carbon still great. Deets later.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Note to self: Backup your configs regularly when using Klipper, thankfully I had printer.cfg one from mid October just by random chance when trying to fix a random issue.

I had a SD Card brick itself, PNY 16GB so really wasn't expecting that. Gonna clone the Kioxia I'm using once I get my new cards.

I updated all of Klipper and Pi OS, so had to go through and fix a few syntax changes, and the Pi Cam doesn't seem to even start up now. KIAUH is really nice for setting things up since you can flash the creality boards SD Card over USB.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Rockman Reserve posted:

I should probably point out that the printer in question was a cheap Monoprice from ‘16 that eventually lit its circuit boards on fire like a year after I pulled it outta the garage.

oh, you also had a wanhao i3?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bondematt posted:

Note to self: Backup your configs regularly when using Klipper, thankfully I had printer.cfg one from mid October just by random chance when trying to fix a random issue.

I had a SD Card brick itself, PNY 16GB so really wasn't expecting that. Gonna clone the Kioxia I'm using once I get my new cards.

I updated all of Klipper and Pi OS, so had to go through and fix a few syntax changes, and the Pi Cam doesn't seem to even start up now. KIAUH is really nice for setting things up since you can flash the creality boards SD Card over USB.

I don't have the link handy, but there's a script you can download and install that will automatically back up your Klipper config files when you start up your Pi (or whatever you're using Klipper on to control your printer), either to Github or Google Drive. I couldn't get the Google Drive option to work, so I just set up a private Github repository to back mine up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

mewse posted:

Here's a late question: What's happening with Prusaslicer? Seems like Github commits stopped relatively abruptly 2-3 months ago. They moved to a different repo?