Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Some Guy TT posted:

this probably has nothing to do with china but why do homepages for sites like bing and bilibili keep loading in black and white when i open new tabs im struggling to think of any technical reason why this is only happening for a few larger sites and only on the home pages so maybe uh the communists are doing it? but why

It's because Jiang Zemin died

They do it when stuff like that happens, they've done it before but I can't remember exactly what.

Edit: Nanjing massacre memorial that was the other time I was trying to remember. Pretty sure it was that, taobao went all 2 tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

roflmao "if we count people with homes, the number of homeless skyrockets!"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Some Guy TT posted:

this probably has nothing to do with china but why do homepages for sites like bing and bilibili keep loading in black and white when i open new tabs im struggling to think of any technical reason why this is only happening for a few larger sites and only on the home pages so maybe uh the communists are doing it? but why

its a memorial for jiang zemin. every app and homepage is black and white for a while

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

why would you include those people? they arent homeless

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

fart simpson posted:

its a memorial for jiang zemin. every app and homepage is black and white for a while

Too old, too complicated

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there a term, or maybe a similar historical precedent, for when trying to cut-off a country just gets them to innovate harder? the only other thing that comes to mind at the moment is Germany putting a lot of effort into synthetic oil and rubber (and not intended to be a slam on the PRC), but I suppose that's not a great comparison given that they weren't nearly as successful at that venture as China looks to be in the tech industry

When the US banned China from space industry collaboration.

Also when the US banned high end CNC machines to be sold to China.

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 07:09 on Dec 1, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

fart simpson posted:

They might own a house, but without love it will never be a home.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fart simpson posted:

they’re homeless but not unhoused

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DanielDumbrill/status/1598146664044564481

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Elon must've been calling for Taiwan to be made into an SAR because he wants to get a PRC contract to design their cockpits

https://twitter.com/opinonhaver/status/1598189249643548672

nvm lol it's from their Top Gun: Maverick

https://twitter.com/105Schwerter/status/1598197647483232256

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QANSWKjxOq0

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
every touchscreen I've ever encountered in a car loving sucks poo poo, I can't imagine it would even be usable while flying a jet

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Wow China just brutally murdered that journalist on tv. Owns

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Okay where can we get a hookup to watch Chinese Top Gun because that trailer kicks rear end

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

only the hermit crab can be considered truly housed

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
What ARE homes, really? There is just no way for us to actually know.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Insert George Carlin clip where he points out "homelessness" is a dumb term because "home" is an abstract idea whereas the proper term would be "houselessness", because that accurately and concretely reflects the material need of the people being discussed.

Except now that same linguistic obfuscation is being weaponized against China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lncLOEqc9Rw

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

china also has one of the highest home ownership rates in the world

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there a term, or maybe a similar historical precedent, for when trying to cut-off a country just gets them to innovate harder? the only other thing that comes to mind at the moment is Germany putting a lot of effort into synthetic oil and rubber (and not intended to be a slam on the PRC), but I suppose that's not a great comparison given that they weren't nearly as successful at that venture as China looks to be in the tech industry

The bulk of Indian advances in rocket technology came after the collapse of the USSR when the US stopped the fledgling Russian federation from selling dual use technology to India. Of course the moment ISRO actually managed to get it's smaller systems working a bunch of really well intentioned white experts started looking for any smuggling of tech.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fart simpson posted:

china also has one of the highest home ownership rates in the world

they're juking the numbers (idk how or even what I mean)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

100% of china is homeless because all real property is either urban/state owned or agrarian/collectively owned.

no individual owns land in China, they are all homeless

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

she rules

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
China actually have one of the highest home ownership rate, something like 80-85%. You can go by this wiki number which is like 89%.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_home_ownership_rate

The way to calculate the ownership is that if you have a house in the countryside, you are still a home owner. A lot of these self built house in the actual villages are not transferable. I don't know the name for it in English, but basically in Chinese is called "small ownership" which means you can pass down to your family but not allowed to sell. Obviously you can still sell to your village neighbors unofficially since usually half of the villagers are your long distance relatives anyway. If you build a house in the village you essentially don't have to pay any fee for land use, you are only paying for the cost of the materials and labor. My wife's parents have a....2000-3000 sq ft brick house in the village. None of the younger generations live there anymore. The grandparents live there maybe 1/3 of the time, the other 2/3 time they live in the nearby city which they have a 2br "commercial apartment".

One of the place that has the lowest home ownership is, you guess it, landlord dystopian hellscape, HK, something like 50%. (in the wiki link its 22% but nontheless its still one of the lowest)

Now a lot of these village farmers with village hukou, their middle aged childrens are working in the nearest small towns (in China lingo they are called 4th tier cities or 5th tier cities), that's where you used to see only 6 floor apartment buildings 15 years ago but started building 20+ 30+ floor high rise nowadays. All these has to do with whether you can obtain "big ownership" which means transferable "commercial apartments" through the city level government and housing developers license.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 13:25 on Dec 1, 2022

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

I am once again calling upon the cpc to eject all foreign “journalists”

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I hope China figures out a better system of housing distribution. I feel bad for the housed homeless with bad apartments or dorm living. kill commercial real estate Mr Jinping

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

stephenthinkpad posted:

Hyperbolic missile doesn't need that much memory.

Techpowerup news thread on this having a very normal one with their "muh stolen trust-me-bro IP"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

not to be a buzzkill, but that amazing smackdown happened last year
still glorious though I'm glad it gets more views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0oo8PsUKrA

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/chen09522741/status/1597891561731522560?t=bf-l2sCElVr7wKX5sgdaOw&s=19

Not exactly chinese jabhat al nusra these guys

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
freedom means having time to be nude -Mujica

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

come on Vicky there's no need for any of that

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
whats the odds of her being ukrainian

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

come on Vicky there's no need for any of that

https://twitter.com/zhaijin1980/status/1597894114435297282?s=20&t=1yIcnyj-gsAYt582m_baUw

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

for additional language speakers here: do you find google/bing/twitter/etc translations from English into your native language to be reliable or good, and is like Chinese<->Tagalog decent quality? or is it easier to go through English?

I regularly notice a big difference between eg Spanish->English and Russian/Ukrainian->English and was wondering how that experience is with other languages

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't even trust the translations provided by journalists when an article quotes someone in Filipino, much less Google Translate. When I post something here that I translate to Filipino, I always do it myself.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

China actually have one of the highest home ownership rate, something like 80-85%. You can go by this wiki number which is like 89%.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_home_ownership_rate

The way to calculate the ownership is that if you have a house in the countryside, you are still a home owner. A lot of these self built house in the actual villages are not transferable. I don't know the name for it in English, but basically in Chinese is called "small ownership" which means you can pass down to your family but not allowed to sell. Obviously you can still sell to your village neighbors unofficially since usually half of the villagers are your long distance relatives anyway. If you build a house in the village you essentially don't have to pay any fee for land use, you are only paying for the cost of the materials and labor. My wife's parents have a....2000-3000 sq ft brick house in the village. None of the younger generations live there anymore. The grandparents live there maybe 1/3 of the time, the other 2/3 time they live in the nearby city which they have a 2br "commercial apartment".

One of the place that has the lowest home ownership is, you guess it, landlord dystopian hellscape, HK, something like 50%. (in the wiki link its 22% but nontheless its still one of the lowest)

Now a lot of these village farmers with village hukou, their middle aged childrens are working in the nearest small towns (in China lingo they are called 4th tier cities or 5th tier cities), that's where you used to see only 6 floor apartment buildings 15 years ago but started building 20+ 30+ floor high rise nowadays. All these has to do with whether you can obtain "big ownership" which means transferable "commercial apartments" through the city level government and housing developers license.

nice post, thank you.

it’s difficult to get find perspectives like this from more traditional sources. or maybe I’m just uninformed. in any case, it is appreciated.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't even trust the translations provided by journalists when an article quotes someone in Filipino, much less Google Translate. When I post something here that I translate to Filipino, I always do it myself.

not even just for reading a tweet or article comments? drat maybe that one I replied with actually says something really hosed up

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

not even just for reading a tweet or article comments? drat maybe that one I replied with actually says something really hosed up

I mean if it's a language that I do not know then I use google translate to read things because I have no other choice, but I would say, as a Filipino, that the automated translations from Filipino to English are pretty bad

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean if it's a language that I do not know then I use google translate to read things because I have no other choice, but I would say, as a Filipino, that the automated translations from Filipino to English are pretty bad

good to know thank you

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
We were talking about Sino Soviet relationship (particularly Mao-Stalin relationship a few pages ago), so I have been listening to some old history professor online lectures.

I think the Sino Soviet split, fundamentally, traced back to the many disagreements between Mao and Stalin before the founding of PRC. Even at the point of Japanese surrender Stalin didn't support CPC over KMT. Stalin still wanted a united government (I guess the logic is a weak central government is easier for Stalin to meddle)

At the core of it, the disagreements were based on many land disputes between China (including different factions of China) and Soviet.

• Outer Mongolia, Mongol being splitted into 2 part was an artificial political line started by the Czarist Russia. I think the logic is Russia wanted a weak buffer state to the south of the trans siberian railroad for its strategic safety. Stalin pushed ROC to recognize Outer Mongolia when KMT was in a weak state. Mao and Zhou tried to get it back after the founding of PRC, but the requests didn't go anywhere.

• Xinjiang, this part Stalin actually helped CPC gain control of it. Stalin lent CPC planes to move troops to Xinjiang, also killed the Xinjiang separatists leader with a plane accident. I think Stalin thought the Chinese owned them for Xinjiang.

• Dongbei, a lot of mixed emotions from both sides on the back and fore. After the Soviet troops curb stomped the Japanese Kwantung Troops. They took a lot of factory hardwares in Manchuria and shipped it back to Soviet. Granted in Stalin's eyes, they were Japanese factories, but to the Chinese, they were Chinese industries. Soviet wanted to keep their far east naval base in Lushun, which is basically at the choke point of the yellow sea. It took Mao a lot of effort to push the Soviet army out of Lushun and China. The price China had to pay was participating in the Korean war and sign on to team Soviet at the start of the cold war. As a result, Soviet didn't have any military base in China. I feel that Stalin was acting imperialist in his approach. Lushun is way to close to Beijing. Letting Sovet keep a naval base there was not reasonable. The CPC was not one of the Soviet's eastern bloc goonies, they didn't really need the Soviet help to win the civil war. And years later even the small request of keeping a long wave submarine communication station in China was turned down by Mao. Because at the time Mao was already planning to split with Soviet.

As a result of PRC didn't cooperate with Stalin in the Manchuria region, Soviet didn't give China any convenience in Dongbei economic development. The entire upper Dongbei is surrounded by Soviet and N. Korea. The upper part is basically a landlocked country. The river between Russia and N Korea has a low bridge built on it to block commercial shipping. Basically for manufacturing shipping, you have to go all the way to the yellow sea. If China has a port in the north side of the Korean peninsula, they could have facilitate cheap commercial traffic with the west coast of Japan.

People often say US's attempt to establish Asian version of NATO failed, don't forget Soviet couldn't get anywhere close to a Warsaw pack in Asia either. They only had military cooperation in Vietnam in the last leg of Soviet.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

for additional language speakers here: do you find google/bing/twitter/etc translations from English into your native language to be reliable or good, and is like Chinese<->Tagalog decent quality? or is it easier to go through English?

I regularly notice a big difference between eg Spanish->English and Russian/Ukrainian->English and was wondering how that experience is with other languages

I'm ok at chinese and generally online translations from chinese to english are pretty good. I think it's because the grammar is similar. online translation from japanese or korean is usually hosed up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Mirello posted:

I'm ok at chinese and generally online translations from chinese to english are pretty good. I think it's because the grammar is similar. online translation from japanese or korean is usually hosed up though.

ive found that technical translations are often better. like if you are translating a medical report or something, google translate will generally get you there at least so you can understand it. but translating casual conversation seems pretty hit or miss, sometimes it’s really bad