Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

acksplode posted:

L1 + dpad down. It's goofy but the only alternative is L stick down + L3 🤮

gross but appreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Re2make has 91 on metacritic and it can be completed in sub 3 hours for ingame rewards.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The next big Monhun is def in development, it's Japan's Call of Duty. Also, Rise is cool but it's a much more simplified game. Nice that it isn't trapped on Switch tho.

Is it more simplified? It just felt like the older monster Hunter games, which just feel clunkier and less polished to me. I only played the demo for maybe a couple of hours on switch tho so I don’t really know, but yeah I really want a monster Hunter world 2.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How does Pentiment change in comparison to its first hour? The entire “gameplay” so far is pressing a button to get the text to appear and advance and nearly nothing else more. Games like this I end up feeling like the book would be a far better experience? (not a Troll?)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The addition of the wire bug and dog riding make Rise better than World and every other MonHun game.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So MH World was Monster Hunter for basics (compared to the previous ones) and Rise is even more basic than that? Maybe I will get into it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I found elements of Rise more complex than world, certainly the weapon move sets are expanded, it felt like there were more systems with the wirebugs etc. Rise certainly has more QoL changes too.

Overall monster hunter games = great, monster hunter films = terrible

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Some physical copies of Callisto were sold early at Wal-Marts and full runs were up on Twitch. They ran 12-15 hours to credits.

TBH I think that's a perfect length for a horror game. It's a bit longer than the RE7 and 8 and on par with the Dead Space games, all of which were satisfying runs. Alien Isolation always gets namedropped as an example of why the genre shouldn't be too long, it just gets tedious eventually.

For what it's worth, people who got early physical copies say they love it. How much of that is new game glow, who knows.

FYI if you're looking around Youtube, the ending of the game has been uploaded already.

12-15 hours is the perfect game length for most non open world games imo. Even most open world games don't actually have more than 15 hours of content that isn't busywork or copy/pasted activities.

Really TLOU 2 is the only game like that I can think of that well surpassed that run time without having a bunch of filler.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Blind Rasputin posted:

How does Pentiment change in comparison to its first hour? The entire “gameplay” so far is pressing a button to get the text to appear and advance and nearly nothing else more. Games like this I end up feeling like the book would be a far better experience? (not a Troll?)

It’s a point and click adventure game, nothing out of the ordinary there. What is definitely not possible in a book are the choices you can make and dialogue responses leading to different outcomes. The writing is really good, also the amazing historical accuracy/references. I’m not even done yet and I’ve been moved by some of the events in the game so far. Not gonna be everyone’s cup of tea but my god it’s good if it appeals to you.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

veni veni veni posted:

Really TLOU 2 is the only game like that I can think of that well surpassed that run time without having a bunch of filler.

I dunno, I think on a second play through it gets at least slightly tedious looking for scraps in abandoned buildings.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

The Perfect Element posted:

I dunno, I think on a second play through it gets at least slightly tedious looking for scraps in abandoned buildings.

It's a lot like plot/character building dialogue in other media - it can be fully engrossing at the time but second time around you just want to get to the bit where captain bonk uses the might corkscrew on grimdark the orc

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I found elements of Rise more complex than world, certainly the weapon move sets are expanded, it felt like there were more systems with the wirebugs etc. Rise certainly has more QoL changes too.

Overall monster hunter games = great, monster hunter films = terrible

The animated film was alright if you were a fan and knew the world beforehand. The Mila Jovovich film was absolutely terrible if you knew anything about the games, but I will say it brought an interesting horror twist to some of the monsters, like how terrifying they'd actually be if you weren't an pg13 anime protagonist.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The best Monster Hunter film is TÁR

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There's a companion audio drama to Callisto Protocol called Helix Station, if anyone's interested in that sort of thing. Stars Gwendoline Christie. Seems well made.

Distributed on podcast platforms.
https://open.spotify.com/show/4ccHoEywKFfnkfEHHDkuWi
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-callisto-protocol-helix-station/id1652789325

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I don't get much time to play games, and often skip cutscenes in general. I've heard that Mass Effect 2 is amazing, and seeing that it's free this month I'm tempted to try it out. Would I be OK skipping the first one?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

The best Monster Hunter film is TÁR

:hmmyes:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

sort of?

there's a pretty massive reveal on the Batarian world around the vigilante Archangel that will absolutely not hit unless you've played the first, but so much of ME1 is clunky and unrefined compared to 2, which is up there with New Vegas as just "best game ever"

also if you like skipping cutscenes then Grunts quest is gonna be a real treat

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would not play 2 without 1 and I would not play it if you're going to skip all the cutscenes unless you really want to play a competent but nothing special third person cover shooter from 2010.

Can you even skip all the cutscenes? I dunno.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

henpod posted:

I don't get much time to play games, and often skip cutscenes in general. I've heard that Mass Effect 2 is amazing, and seeing that it's free this month I'm tempted to try it out. Would I be OK skipping the first one?

Not really, a lot of the charm is how it builds up through game to game and most of the personality of Mass Effect is through the cut-scenes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The Mass Effect games always seemed to me to be about the cutscenes, feels like a bad idea to play them in order to skip that stuff.

If you want a sci-fi shooter that isn't about cutscenes maybe play Vanquish

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ME 2 adding ammo was a bad change that makes the game less fun than the original imo

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

There is little to no point in playing Mass Effect if all you want to do is skip cutscenes. The characters and dialogue are like the main draw and the bulk of the experience. The combat is only ever “competent cover shooter” at its best (2/3) with some fun powers if you spec your character that way, but it’s absolutely not going to carry the experience.

If you’re strongly opposed to engaging in the story of a game or sitting there for a while listening to people talk, Mass Effect as a whole is a hard skip.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
When is the game of the year thread happening? I want to make jokes about how bad Final Fantasy is and get bullied out of the thread for it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
It's perfectly fine to skip ME1 since it was originally only on pc and xbox the default way to play is to start with ME2 actually. They give you a little recap of ME1 anyway.

Or, you can skip all three and go straight to the best ME game - Andromeda

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Thanks guys, a lot of people love the games but storylines when I mostly want to shoot stuff, isn't for me.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Boy of Joy posted:

It’s a point and click adventure game, nothing out of the ordinary there. What is definitely not possible in a book are the choices you can make and dialogue responses leading to different outcomes. The writing is really good, also the amazing historical accuracy/references. I’m not even done yet and I’ve been moved by some of the events in the game so far. Not gonna be everyone’s cup of tea but my god it’s good if it appeals to you.

I'm far from being a history buff but the art, writing, and characters in this game were amazing. It took me by a complete surprise how engrossing the whole thing was. Took me ~20 hours to finish (took my time, though).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aipsh posted:

When is the game of the year thread happening? I want to make jokes about how bad Final Fantasy is and get bullied out of the thread for it

Last year was around the 12th and I have been told that is the goal again for this year

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

imhotep posted:

Is it more simplified? It just felt like the older monster Hunter games, which just feel clunkier and less polished to me. I only played the demo for maybe a couple of hours on switch tho so I don’t really know, but yeah I really want a monster Hunter world 2.

I've played on Switch and PC, definitely going to buy on PS5 because I dislike pc gaming. It's a bit slow at first but you've got so much control over your hunter's positioning with the wirebug. You can swap out moves and mechanics for your weapons for different builds, and the endgame for this is kind of similar to 4 where you get quests that level up and the monsters' stats increase.

I've got over 1.5k logged on World and I much prefer Rise hunts overall. Can't wait for World 2 of course but I wouldn't miss out on Rise especially if you're playing with goons.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

It's perfectly fine to skip ME1 since it was originally only on pc and xbox the default way to play is to start with ME2 actually. They give you a little recap of ME1 anyway.

Or, you can skip all three and go straight to the best ME game - Andromeda

Dont you import your character from the first game into me2?

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Cross-posting from my other favorite nerd thread (the BSS Action Figure one)

I have a hard time paying ~$100 (pre-shipping) for a 6-inch figure but goddamn is this lovely:

Demon's Souls Fluted Armor by Max Factory. $144.99 on BBTS with an estimated March 2024 release or 13,100 JPY (currently about $96 usd) and an October '23 release from Amiami

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can but, as ME1 was Microsoft only for a long time, the PS version of 2 came with like a choose your own adventure motion comic where you could pick what happened in the first game.

Or you can not import at all and just go with the defaults.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Folks the new Fortnite Chapter is almost here.
https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1598316267957526529?t=5mrLdn0YT97Br2gyDLUfJQ&s=19

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sakurazuka posted:

go with the defaults.

thats how you get made fun of in schools thesedays

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm really hoping Chapter 4 has some dope crossover to kick us off like 3 did with Spider-Man. The word is motorcycles are coming next chapter so now that FF7 First Soldier is dead Cloud can get called up to the big time.

Also gently caress you Tim Sweeney Kratos has been gone for over 600 days bring him the gently caress back

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

acksplode posted:

L1 + dpad down. It's goofy but the only alternative is L stick down + L3 🤮

ShoogaSlim posted:

gross but appreciated

There is another alternative, you can use the Accessibility Control settings to map quick turn to any or all of the four touchpad swipe directions. Not that that's a perfect solution either.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Policenaut posted:

I'm really hoping Chapter 4 has some dope crossover to kick us off like 3 did with Spider-Man. The word is motorcycles are coming next chapter so now that FF7 First Soldier is dead Cloud can get called up to the big time.

Also gently caress you Tim Sweeney Kratos has been gone for over 600 days bring him the gently caress back

The speculation is new island. the OG blackhole code was put back in a patch ago.
The next season battlepass was leaked already and it has fortnite "story" skins and the special skin is supposedly Miles.

I read Kratos will probably never return which sucks. I was hoping for Ghostbusters, but that never came back either.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

thiccabod posted:

Cross-posting from my other favorite nerd thread (the BSS Action Figure one)

I have a hard time paying ~$100 (pre-shipping) for a 6-inch figure but goddamn is this lovely:

Demon's Souls Fluted Armor by Max Factory. $144.99 on BBTS with an estimated March 2024 release or 13,100 JPY (currently about $96 usd) and an October '23 release from Amiami

I have the Hunter from Bloodborne from them, and let me tell you, posing those things is a nightmare. As good as it looks, I wouldn't buy it again. It's just so tiny. Can't remember what company made the similar ones for FF XII, they are a way better size. drat shame FF gets the better treatment for way less bucks than From.

e: Play Arts made the FF12 ones. drat shame they decided to get "creative" with the boob slider on those...they butchered Fran...

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 1, 2022

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mr Hootington posted:

The speculation is new island. the OG blackhole code was put back in a patch ago.
The next season battlepass was leaked already and it has fortnite "story" skins and the special skin is supposedly Miles.

I read Kratos will probably never return which sucks. I was hoping for Ghostbusters, but that never came back either.

Well that's an okay debut I guess. Last season had some pretty good story ones, like I honestly think Fortnite original Meow Skulls carried this season more than Spider-Gwen did.

I'm still pissed that Aloy came back for Forbidden West but Kratos didn't come back for Ragnarok. I'm now coping by hoping that maybe they're holding him back for a VGA win surprise, and as such Ragnarok must win at least 1 award for this dream to pass. I did read one of the leaked Epic Games surveys to Fortnite influencers about who'd they be interested to see in the game and seeing Joel from Last of Us on their short list gave me the giddy mental image of him with the Driver pickaxe and now I really want that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider

man nurse posted:

The combat is only ever “competent cover shooter” at its best (2/3) with some fun powers if you spec your character that way, but it’s absolutely not going to carry the experience.

I don't know, Biotic Charge does some heavy lifting in the fun department. Certainly carried me through Andromeda.