Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

moths posted:

The million dollars company can and will have better lawyers that you. Always.

Better lawyers that can magic up an agreement to publish? IANAL, but it seems like a pretty clear area of law. If the issue is she signed a contract earlier without realizing the extent of the agreement, that's on her. And also really venturing into the realm of hypotheticals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

Looking a little at some of her subtweets and threads there I read it more like her position is "A big story is about to break about CR loving over artists, so they're scrambling to get every artist to sign new NDAs, but are really incompetent about it."

Like this, this is something. That's what you lead with, and the NDA is only lovely as a secondary effect to cover up loving over artists.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

Looking a little at some of her subtweets and threads there I read it more like her position is "A big story is about to break about CR loving over artists, so they're scrambling to get every artist to sign new NDAs, but are really incompetent about it."

But twitter is a mess to read, she could have had some evolving theories, or threw out the incompetence, bribe for silence, or damage control theories as all possible.

That NDA doesn't actually look to block artists from talking about prior experiences. It's not a non-disparagement agreement (and there's no such clause in there) and it's a purely forward-looking NDA.

I'd bet on email list fuckup, personally; this reads to me (not in tradgames, but I do IP law for a living) like the sort of thing we'd send to clients so that we could talk about whatever project we wanted to work on with them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

PharmerBoy posted:

Better lawyers that can magic up an agreement to publish? IANAL, but it seems like a pretty clear area of law.

It's not really an area of law as much as pattern recognition. Who's going to come out ahead?

Between the millionaires with lawyers or the freelancer, you'd be a fool to bet on the literal starving artist.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Also, kicking up a public fuss is often an effective form of problem solving and is a lot cheaper than a lawyer.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I think it's important to acknowledge parasocial relations apply to forming friendly and enemy bonds with people that don't know you're alive.

I'd say just as there's a bunch of people who want to make excuses for gently caress ups or potential malice because they like Critical Role there's people who want to believe Matt Mercer is homophobic, racist, and a backstabbing social climber who lies about the very nature of his show because they don't like CR and/or AP stuff.

I'm not accusing anyone in this conversation of that by the by, just I think that's part of the answer as to why every nonstory about CR becomes a big deal.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Then she needs to allege it. What was the material published? The only receipts being posted are the existence of a boilerplate NDA. If you want me to get mad that NDAs exist, nah.

Edit: Actually, looking at her Tweet again, it's a "If you see ANY of my work . . ." She's not even clearly saying they did publish anything, that could a future warning. So all that Tweet reads as is how dare someone send her an NDA.

PharmerBoy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 30, 2022

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Twitter thread just reads as though she's making fun of them for loving up their mass emails, and generally not liking NDAs. Not sure what you're actually mad at her for.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

moths posted:

It follows that D&D players in 2022 are just more resilient to garbage people at whatever company they support.

You're kind of assuming that most customers are even remotely as online about this poo poo as we are. Like I can't remember if it was this or another thread but someone shared a story on how a ridiculously huge number of Magic players don't seem to actually engage with what some would consider basic story or competitive elements to care about. People buying WotC games aren't special or specially bad, it's that lots (and lots and lots) of people just don't engage further on more than maybe one or two things - and these games ain't it for them. They watch a show or movie and then go about their business. They buy a game to play it and not to think about the people making it. But they'll each have something else entirely they have powerful Opinions about and would consider others "just more resilient to garbage" because we don't care as passionately about it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Not really.

If they're unaware of it, that only makes them more resilient.

I'm not making a values judgement here as to WHY they don't care.

If someone's still on-board with D&D brand gaming in 2022, then its storied history of shitheads hasn't affected their preferences. For whatever reason.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Terrible Opinions posted:

Twitter thread just reads as though she's making fun of them for loving up their mass emails, and generally not liking NDAs. Not sure what you're actually mad at her for.
Eh, I read it as a bit more her only direct accusation is what's in her first tweet, but then there's a lot of cloying stuff like responding to "that looks like a boilerplate NDA, not anything sinister. Are you sure it wasn't sent to you by mistake?" with "read the whole thread"
Or stuff like these, where she's not ~directly~ making accusations, just agreeing with other people's speculation that yes CR does vaguely shady business and the media personalities have control over and knowledge of those bad actions.

So I can see where some would view Tess as having some ulterior motive -rather than the far more likely scenario that she's just an artist frustrated she's had to waste time playing email and phone tag with a company that already burned her, so venting.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

moths posted:

If someone's still on-board with D&D brand gaming in 2022, then its storied history of shitheads hasn't affected their preferences. For whatever reason.

Maybe it's because D&D is old enough that each individual shithead feels like just a blip, even if a consumer wasn't personally around for all that history? Not making excuses, just trying to imagine why it might be different for some brands as opposed to others.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ah didn't look through her responses, just the thread. Thanks.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
RIP to classic wargame designer (turned academic and analyst) John Prados (1951-2022). Probably most famous for his influential 1974 classic for Avalon Hill, Third Reich.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cessna posted:

To be clear, I'm not saying that unit was completely hopeless. They were given good recruits, good gear, and as good of a level of training as possible.

But, that said, I think it's fair to point out that their reputation is over-inflated, especially by the Wehraboo types. They were decent soldiers, not uber-elites - but their reputation carries into a lot of wargames nonetheless.

The best soundbite for assessing their quality I've found is that the better SS divisions were on par with the better Heer divisions like Grossdeutschland, which makes perfect sense: they're all prestige divisions getting their selection of the fittest and most motivated troops. Nothing more, nothing less. (The Waffen-SS' predilection for human wave attacks aside.)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FMguru posted:

RIP to classic wargame designer (turned academic and analyst) John Prados (1951-2022). Probably most famous for his influential 1974 classic for Avalon Hill, Third Reich.

A game where they somewhat bucked the trend in color choices for chits and used white text on black counters for all German units, rather than the usual grey. Grey is used for the axis minor units.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

A whole string of wargames in the hex-and-counter days used a sort of "field-blue" color for German counters, notably Squad Leader and ASL:

Many other games used this color for German army units, with the lamentably inevitable black-white for SS units:

Even naval games did this:

The blue-grey is an odd choice. The only thing close to it is Luftwaffe uniforms - German army uniforms were "feldgrau," a green color. I blame the pop-culture influence of Hogan's Heroes.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 1, 2022

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

Maybe it's because D&D is old enough that each individual shithead feels like just a blip, even if a consumer wasn't personally around for all that history? Not making excuses, just trying to imagine why it might be different for some brands as opposed to others.

I am guessing that, for some of us, it is age coupled with awareness.

I started reading Tolkien young. My parents bought me the basic D&D box when I was 7. I think I was 9 when I bought into AD&D 1E, and probably 10 or 11 when the D1-3 series introduced the Drow in detail. To use modern parlance, I did find them a bit sus racially, but I'd not learned about a lot of the cultural history behind this sort of depiction. And frankly, at that age it was very easy to get distracted by the drawings of mostly or entirely naked women, and also very easy to miss all of the sexual dynamics and stereotyping going on there, too (right down to the "in the tradition of Conan" excuses for such art).

High school was 2E, and 3E didn't hit until grad school. The people I gamed with upgraded to 2E, so I went with them. By 3E I was GM'ing and had some say, but while I was somewhat more cognizant of the problems with Gygax and the earlier editions, he was out and 3E is much more aware of the problematic cheesecake art, racist depictions, and so on. You also have to factor in that I bought a lot of modules in 1E, very few in 2E, and none by the time of 3E. When you're just purchasing the base rules and applying everything else based on your own 10+ developed game world, you don't run into the problematic aspects of the official material as often. I'm not sure I even bothered reading the fluff on most 3E monsters; orcs were well established in my setting, ranging from scattered "old school" tribes to a Soviet-like high-tech empire that was in an uneasy Cold War with another nation to an oppressed group of orcs living in a forest in an elven nation that had more in common with the fey and the wood elves than the MM orc descriptions.

The last factor I suspect people are forgetting is that information wasn't always Internet-easy to come by. When 2E was around, you were maybe using AOL or Prodigy (I was on AOL but wasn't in a TTRPG forum there). I'd say 3E was the first time that you could start easily finding consumer information, instead of having to rely on word of mouth. If you only ever gamed within your geek social circle and nobody went to conventions or was active online, you'd never come across anything, much less something like the OP information in this thread.

For that matter, I was actively online starting with 3E and was reading these very forums in the 00s (not as a member, initially), but I wasn't reading the TG forum. I only learned about all the problematic Mearls stuff in the late 20-teens, well after 5E had been released. My PHB has the Zak S. credit, but I'd never heard of Zak S, and for that matter hadn't read the credits anyway, so why in the world would that mean anything? And do I halt 5E purchasing now because of the past? WotC has a spotty diversity record at best, but their hiring practices have improved and something like Journeys through the Radiant Citadel is a step forward. I can imagine my dollars going toward the legal team suing "TSR" and not towards ham-fisted edits that make mini-adventures more racist.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cessna posted:

A whole string of wargames in the hex-and-counter days used a sort of "field-blue" color for German counters, notably Squad Leader and ASL:

Many other games used this color for German army units, with the lamentably inevitable black-white for SS units:

Even naval games did this:

The blue-grey is an odd choice. The only thing close to it is Luftwaffe uniforms - German army uniforms were "feldgrau," a green color. I blame the pop-culture influence of Hogan's Heroes.

I think the "field-blue" kinda comes down to just the limitations of printing at the time. That color still gets used but for Luftwaffe stuff in games these days. Now you can use almost any color you want and everybody settled for feldgrau Germans, olive drab americans, khaki british, brown or sometimes khaki soviets, etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

Ah shucks, I read two of his books this year. RIP to a real one.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Panzeh posted:

I think the "field-blue" kinda comes down to just the limitations of printing at the time.

I dunno, contemporary games - The Russian Campaign, for example - used a "feldgrau" green for Germans:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Narsham posted:

The last factor I suspect people are forgetting is that information wasn't always Internet-easy to come by. When 2E was around, you were maybe using AOL or Prodigy (I was on AOL but wasn't in a TTRPG forum there). I'd say 3E was the first time that you could start easily finding consumer information, instead of having to rely on word of mouth. If you only ever gamed within your geek social circle and nobody went to conventions or was active online, you'd never come across anything, much less something like the OP information in this thread.

It wasn't helped by TSR being notoriously hostile towards any kind of D&D fansite or fan content online. That didn't change until WotC bought them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cessna posted:

I dunno, contemporary games - The Russian Campaign, for example - used a "feldgrau" green for Germans:

Okay, that is the second distinct color that "feldgrau" has been and I know that "grau" actually means "gray" while neither of these colors have been that.

Are you just loving with the colorblind guy now. Level with me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Field grey is a function of Nazi-caliber quality control:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xiahou Dun posted:

Okay, that is the second distinct color that "feldgrau" has been and I know that "grau" actually means "gray" while neither of these colors have been that.

Are you just loving with the colorblind guy now. Level with me.

There is no one single "Feldgrau" with a precise Hex Triplet or sRGB; it's more of a range, a muted green-grey-green.

The green of those counters is closer to anything the German army used for uniforms than that odd blue.

Edit: Then again, Avalon Hill always had some odd ideas about WWII colors. Like this tan T-34, for example:

Or another tan T-34:

Cessna fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 1, 2022

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cessna posted:

It works for TRC because you dont need to reserve the color green for US units (unlike Third Reich or Advanced Squad Leader)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

moths posted:

theyrethesamepicture.jpeg.

Yeah sorry I mentioned. This is like when I asked what the gently caress "mauve" is.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Sorry, I missed the colorblind part.

Fieldgrau is like a handful of military themed Skittles.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

You can see how much better printing has gotten since then.

The dark blue in this game Hungarian Rhapsody are Hungarian units.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah sorry I mentioned. This is like when I asked what the gently caress "mauve" is.

"Beige."

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Panzeh posted:

You can see how much better printing has gotten since then.

The dark blue in this game Hungarian Rhapsody are Hungarian units.

No doubt. I still remember being blown away by the cool counters in GMT's SPQR:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://twitter.com/NkgUnited/status/1598385932721442816

Noble Knight recognizes union.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Glad to see some good industry news for once.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
NK finally listened to their lawyers, and probably their accountants. NKG United was 70% intention cards, the owners didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of defeating the union vote.

Sweet, I'mma go buy that copy of Dirtside II they have listed, been eyeing that thing all month.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Panzeh posted:

I think the "field-blue" kinda comes down to just the limitations of printing at the time. That color still gets used but for Luftwaffe stuff in games these days. Now you can use almost any color you want and everybody settled for feldgrau Germans, olive drab americans, khaki british, brown or sometimes khaki soviets, etc.

Sure, but printing that really fine herringbone pattern would make for a terrible counter, even today.

I feel like some of the lovely baggage over chit colors could be finally killed with good compliance with colorblind accessibility standards these days. No particular ideological baggage behind saturated purple, mute orange, etc.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

Sure, but printing that really fine herringbone pattern would make for a terrible counter, even today.

I feel like some of the lovely baggage over chit colors could be finally killed with good compliance with colorblind accessibility standards these days. No particular ideological baggage behind saturated purple, mute orange, etc.

Yes please.

Cessna posted:

"Beige."

Now you're just making stuff up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

moths posted:

Those all look khaki to me! :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Slyphic posted:

Sweet, I'mma go buy that copy of Dirtside II they have listed, been eyeing that thing all month.

That's a fun game. I've only designed more vehicles in original Striker, and it plays well on the tabletop to boot. We used it as a replacement ruleset for FASA's Centurion. Great background, amazing vehicle designs, abysmal rules.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Cessna posted:

Apropos of nothing, but this picture and the others like it are giving me powerful nostalgia. I used to love a hex-and-counter wargame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xiahou Dun posted:

A miserable little style of pigment