Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

That ATST looks really good! Shockingly fun to paint for a big hunk of gray. If you want to touch up the snows you could go for drab brown instead of gray- they look pretty close to army/mud troopers in terms of kit. And scout sniper teams are pretty common, it's just the full units that kinda underperform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Foolster41 posted:

A little more expensive (though $40 I think isn't terrible for how much space it has), but I use a Plano tackle box, which has lots of room for lots of units and tokens I bought a few extra inserts to keep my rebel troops and for MCP so I can swap them out.

This:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Guide-Series-Angled-Storage-System-3600-Tackle-Box-Organizer/19487463?athbdg=L1600
I have something like 40 figures, my move and range guides, dice and tokens.
(and I keep cards in a cheap 3 ring binder. Better than having them loose where the edges get chipped or bent.)

I ended up getting this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TH8P1E (medium size)

it fit 99% of my rebel minis in the top pull out tray (stacked...which is not ideal, I know) minus the ATRT, and Clan Wren. I had so much left over I was able to put all my assembled FalloutWW minis AND my entire collection of stargrave minis (again, stacked...but most are unpainted so I'm sure it's ok) and both fallout cards + tokens for Legion.

Of course, I go back to order another one because I liked it so much and they're out of stock.

I go to walmart and saw a 3-tier fishing box and used that to store my remaining random etsy/wizkids/age of sigmar minis/other minis. with room to spare.

Now, none of these are big enough for terrain, and unfortunately anything with a 32mm base or larger is kind of a pain in the rear end because it also ends up being too "wide" to lay flat in most tackle box trays, but it's fine for most of these rebel minis w/ small bases.

I think if I wasn't trying to jam as many minis as possible in this, I might need more, but just those two held pretty much all my non-wh40k minis, now has me considering two 3600s, one to store my space marines and one to store my necrons. Maybe another to store whatever few minis I have for other armies.

A bit more expensive than large totes, but also more convenient to get at and carry to my friend's house.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Stacking is fine if you can pad minis out as much as they need for whatever material they are. Don't do like me and leave old GW blister pack foam in there for like a decade and forget about them though. Turns out that poo poo decomposes weirdly.

radlum
May 13, 2013
How is this for a starter Rebel list? I’ll be having my first actual games this weekend

797/800
10 Activations

Rebel Officer 45 + 11 = 56
--Vigilance (5), Portable Scanner (6)
Cassian Andor 90 + 14 = 104
--Offensive Push (4), A280-CFE (10)

K-2SO 70 + 10 = 80
--Jyn's SE-14 Blaster (10)
Sabine Wren 125 + 24 = 149
--Situational Awareness (2), Recon Intel (2), Personal Combat Shield (5), The Darksaber (15)

Rebel Veterans 48
Mark II Medium Blaster Trooper 38
Rebel Troopers 40 + 26 = 66
--DLT-20A Trooper (26)

Mandalorian Resistance 34 + 88 = 122
--Tristan Wren (38), Ursa Wren (38), Situational Awareness (2), Recon Intel (2), Jetpack Rockets (8)
Mandalorian Resistance 72 + 14 = 86
--Offensive Push (4), Recon Intel (2), Jetpack Rockets (8)
Rebel Commandos (Strike Team) 20 + 28 = 48
--DH-447 Sniper (28)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I think you are missing a corps squad? You need three at 800pts.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Doesn’t the Medium Blaster Trooper count as Corps?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

It does, and it looks fine to me. Don't really love the Mando squad without a heavy, might either cut it down to a sniper for a vet heavy or cut the trooper heavy?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

radlum posted:

Doesn’t the Medium Blaster Trooper count as Corps?

Ahh it's a detachment thing, haven't seen them on the table yet!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Friend told me that there was a change in legion's plastics somewhere down the line. I remember the earlier plastics feeling more like the soft plastic of imperial assault and my friend mentioned the new plastics are much better. Is there a cutoff for when the new plastics started and does it cover the new starter boxes (e.g. Rebel hoth team) that include old models?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Friend told me that there was a change in legion's plastics somewhere down the line. I remember the earlier plastics feeling more like the soft plastic of imperial assault and my friend mentioned the new plastics are much better. Is there a cutoff for when the new plastics started and does it cover the new starter boxes (e.g. Rebel hoth team) that include old models?

The repackaged boxes are the same molds as the original releases. Iirc all the CIS except Dooku are hard plastic, most of the clones are hard plastic except the first few releases (phase 1s, BARCs, I think a few more); for Rebels and Empire it's the AA5 truck, LAAT transport, Mandalorians, Imperial Special Forces, Lando, and Kallus

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Also, the soft plastic quality improved as well, for what it's worth. Boba, Krennec, the shoretroopers all looked great.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ooof ok thanks for the heads up. I'll just have to make the old rebel Endor assault team then while waiting for the rest of the endor squad and ewoks... if they ever come.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Han, Chewie, Leia, and the commandos are all early sculpts. Leia is one of the weakest sculpts in the game and Han's face is kinda weird, but the commandos aren't bad.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Han Solo looks so bad in not only this game but nearly every action figure incarnation I have a :tinfoil: theory they are papering over an issue with Harrison's likeness rights with shoddy sculpts.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah Han looks like Frankenstein but you can kinda of mitigate it at least a little with the paint job. Leia looks ok but her pose is just really bizarre and unnatural.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

StashAugustine posted:

The repackaged boxes are the same molds as the original releases. Iirc all the CIS except Dooku are hard plastic, most of the clones are hard plastic except the first few releases (phase 1s, BARCs, I think a few more); for Rebels and Empire it's the AA5 truck, LAAT transport, Mandalorians, Imperial Special Forces, Lando, and Kallus
The BARCs themselves are hard plastic but the troopers that ride them are the softer kind. The starter box has a weird mix of stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

Han Solo looks so bad in not only this game but nearly every action figure incarnation I have a :tinfoil: theory they are papering over an issue with Harrison's likeness rights with shoddy sculpts.

The same for a lot of Leia figures where she had more resemblance to Steven Tyler than Carrie Fisher.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Oh actually I think Iden and Cassian are hard plastic

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

It continues to baffle me why FFG didn't put everything Clone Wars into hard plastic. Asmodee must have been really reluctant to pay for tooling or something.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Whatever the plastic is that is part of the regular Rebel Troopers sucks.

Whatever the plastic is that is part of the same stuff as Cassian Andor & K-2SO & Clan Wren does not suck.

(reason being the latter is 100% easier to clean, and the former has tons of mold-shifts and low quality.....resolution? so it makes it harder to tell what's an intentional pant seam and what's a gap because of the mold)

The trade off seems to be that the plastic for the former you could throw across the room and it'd be fine, whereas the latter you have to be marginally more careful with.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 24, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The worst things about the Phase I Clone Troopers are the really obvious bits where removing them from the sprue has clearly torn a chunk out of the figure.

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Speaking of Republic posting: What's the state of playing republic now that the battle forces are out in the wild?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Unfortunately the 501st is kind of a gimmicky mess, you can have some fun with it but it's not doing much for the faction. GAR is in a bit of a rough spot between getting nerfed to hell last year and the meta moving towards aggro melee instead of gunlines, but Anakin (possibly with Pykes) and Yoda are pretty good. That said AMG is teasing a points update early next month so hopefully they'll be looking better after that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GreenBuckanneer posted:

(reason being the latter is 100% easier to clean, and the former has tons of mold-shifts and low quality.....resolution? so it makes it harder to tell what's an intentional pant seam and what's a gap because of the mold)

The trade off seems to be that the plastic for the former you could throw across the room and it'd be fine, whereas the latter you have to be marginally more careful with.

That’s mostly the reason why I want the harder plastic. You’re not so much removing flash but carving the mini and it’s on you if you remove some details while doing so. There is that trade off but I imagine unless you’re playing with kids it’s safe to assume you’re playing with adults who’ll respect your minis.

Haha who am I kidding hams are up there with magic nerds for the being the worst

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chill la Chill posted:

Haha who am I kidding hams are up there with magic nerds for the being the worst
You'd think that, but I have stories. Even those stories pale in comparison to the ones that come out of Yugioh circles. Honestly having some ham swipe your figures off the table with their belly is nowhere near as much of a problem. I'm even still friends with that guy!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

That’s mostly the reason why I want the harder plastic. You’re not so much removing flash but carving the mini and it’s on you if you remove some details while doing so.

I really don't enjoy carving anything, not even a pumpkin 😂

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Well I managed to get a LAAT for £23 and the Vital Assets pack for £12 today. Can't decide if I've gotten actual Black Friday deals or if some sellers are offloading some stock just in case Shatterpoint does 'kill legion'. I mean it won't, but there is suddenly a bunch of stuff marked down lower than I expected.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It looks like Dark Sphere have decent amounts of stuff 50% off for it, so I might grab a few bits myself.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
In the US the best deals I found were from Miniature Market. Had some of the battle forces for under 100 bucks.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Hello folks, I have a small tourney coming up this Saturday (my first for Legion) and I'm looking for a little feedback regarding a couple lists.

I played a smaller version (500 points) of the first list a few days ago, and I think it has potential. Jyn and Cassian did great work scalpling out my opponents Operatives/Commanders, and with K2 in there you can pull some token shenanigans with "Trust Goes Both Ways." I'm not completely sold on the pathfinders yet, but if I can manage to not get them killed when an imperial coughs in their general direction, I think they might do some good work. If the commando sniper teams weren't on back order I'd probably sub in a couple of those, but eh.

pre:
799/800
9 Activations

Cassian Andor 90 + 18 = 108
--Duck and Cover (2), Offensive Push (4), Recon Intel (2), A280-CFE (10)
Jyn Erso 90 + 7 = 97
--Vigilance (5), Recon Intel (2), A-180 (0)
K-2SO 70 + 5 = 75
--Jyn's SE-14 Blaster (5)
Sabine Wren 125 + 27 = 152
--Situational Awareness (2), Electro Grappling Line (5), Personal Combat Shield (5), The Darksaber (15)

Rebel Veterans 48 + 35 = 83
--CM-0/93 Trooper (26), Rebel Veteran (9)
Rebel Troopers 40

Rebel Pathfinders 56 + 30 = 86
--Bistan (28), Recon Intel (2), A-300 (0)
Mandalorian Resistance 34 + 86 = 120
--Tristan Wren (38), Ursa Wren (38), Situational Awareness (2), Jetpack Rockets (8)

Explosions!•, Rebellious•, Trust Goes Both Ways••, Last Stand••, Volunteer Mission•••, Legacy of Mandalore•••, Standing Orders••••

This one is pretty simple, fast aggro melee. I'm torn on which command cards to take, mostly because Luke has really good cards.

pre:
798/800
9 Activations

Rebel Officer 45 + 11 = 56
--Vigilance (5), Portable Scanner (6)
R2-D2 55

Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight) 195 + 24 = 219
--Saber Throw (5), Force Push (10), Force Reflexes (5), Tenacity (4)
Rebel Troopers 40 + 20 = 60
--Z-6 Trooper (20)
Mark II Medium Blaster Trooper 38 + 5 = 43
--Linked Targeting Array (5)
Rebel Veterans 48 + 26 = 74
--CM-0/93 Trooper (26)
Rebel Troopers 40

Wookiee Warriors 69 + 39 = 108
--Bowcaster Wookiee (31), Tenacity (4), Offensive Push (4)
A-A5 Speeder Truck 75 + 68 = 143
--Refurbished "Gonk" Droid (14), Unorthodox Tactician (16), Shriv Suurgav (10), AG-2G Quad Laser (28)

Son of Skywalker•, Ambush•, Full of Surprises••, My Ally Is the Force••, I am a Jedi•••, Return of the Jedi•••, Standing Orders••••

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I think I like the second one a bit more, I might try to squeeze another activation in there if you've got the models and Luke probably wants Burst of Speed over Reflexes if you've got it. With solo Luke I'd basically always take all his cards, YSYMW only sometimes hits an enemy but it's good on allies as well, especially wookiees. It and IAAJ are both situational but I usually play Standing Orders t1 so you don't have to play all your cards

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I could sacrifice my heavy weapons or strip down the bus to fit in one activation, but I'm still waiting on Sniper Teams to actually get made/shipped to Canada. :argh: I dunno if losing them is worth 1 extra naked trooper squad (just about the only extra cheap activations that I do own currently.)

I totally did not consider YSYMW on allies tho, dang. If I drop Saber Throw for Burst of Speed (I really like reflexes), that frees up enough points for an onboard comms channel on the Bus. I think I had ambush in there because I was worried about drawing the Wookie token before the Bus had gotten a chance to move up-field, and this would solve that and give me 2 melee activations in one turn with the Wookies.

I think, still quite new to this game

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ugleb posted:

It continues to baffle me why FFG didn't put everything Clone Wars into hard plastic. Asmodee must have been really reluctant to pay for tooling or something.

The basic Imperial Stormtroopers are awful, just soft plastic mush.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am very glad of the many 3d print options for stormies. I need to do up a squad or three of Skullforge's gnarly remnant guys.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cessna posted:

The basic Imperial Stormtroopers are awful, just soft plastic mush.

Stormies also suck because a lot of the visual interest is the black undergarment and the models don't really show it off very well. Rebel troopers aren't great but they're less boring at least

Hipster Occultist posted:

I could sacrifice my heavy weapons or strip down the bus to fit in one activation, but I'm still waiting on Sniper Teams to actually get made/shipped to Canada. :argh: I dunno if losing them is worth 1 extra naked trooper squad (just about the only extra cheap activations that I do own currently.)

I totally did not consider YSYMW on allies tho, dang. If I drop Saber Throw for Burst of Speed (I really like reflexes), that frees up enough points for an onboard comms channel on the Bus. I think I had ambush in there because I was worried about drawing the Wookie token before the Bus had gotten a chance to move up-field, and this would solve that and give me 2 melee activations in one turn with the Wookies.

I think, still quite new to this game

Yeah Snipers are nice especially because you can use 1 or 2 of them with a wookiee to increase the odds you pull the SF early if you need it and effectively pass if you dont. Do note than On board Comms Channel needs an order on the bus, so with a full Luke hand that's just ROTJ and standing orders (which probably goes on Luke), but you usually play ROTJ turn 2 anyway which is when it matters. You can also just order the wookiees and have them pop out after you pull the bus. An extra activation is just good in general for some objectives and having more ability to stall, but it doesn't sound like you can feasibly get one with your collection. That said it looks fine for learning with what you have, good luck out there!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I wonder at what point they might go back and upgrade the original core set to sprues. The answer is probably 'second edition' but that doesn't appear to be on the horizon yet (or particularly needed).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think with the way FFG handle the figures and the rules in a single pack a second edition would be likely to cause issues. Anecdotally X-Wing just stopped existing in my local store when second edition dropped, and with a game where you've actually put some effort into your toys that makes it even less likely for someone to want to re-buy an expansion just to get cards and tokens. I'd almost see sprues being sold as their own thing before that TBH.

radlum
May 13, 2013
The local Legion community is made up of part of the X-Wing community who dropped the game after 2nd Edition (another part turned to Kill Team, and a small group tried to keep playing X-Wing). I hope AMG realizes how much they lost by making 2nd Edition and don't try it with Legion.

Had my first games last weekend; I really liked the game (though we only played skirmish). I played with this rather basic list:

500/500
6 Activations

Luke Skywalker (Hero of the Rebellion) 160 + 10 = 170
--Force Push (10)

Rebel Troopers 40
Rebel Veterans 48 + 26 = 74
--CM-0/93 Trooper (26)

Mandalorian Resistance 72 + 36 = 108
--Beskad Duelist (28), Jetpack Rockets (8)

AT-RT 55 + 15 = 70
--AT-RT Flamethrower (15)

Son of Skywalker•, Ambush•, My Ally Is the Force••, Push••, Return of the Jedi•••, Standing Orders••••

Is there room for improvement?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Looks fine for the units you have. I don't really like the ATRT but a flamer in skirmish isn't bad, and Mando Resistance are flimsy as poo poo but fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

radlum posted:

The local Legion community is made up of part of the X-Wing community who dropped the game after 2nd Edition (another part turned to Kill Team, and a small group tried to keep playing X-Wing). I hope AMG realizes how much they lost by making 2nd Edition and don't try it with Legion.

Xwing 2.0 was cool and good. Covid and the lack of competitive events hurt and then just when there was stirrings of the community reforming the whole "actually this is what the community wants" random initiative thing and scenario play and changes to the points and load outs turned out to be divisive enough that it died.