Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA (WIBTA) if i told current employer that i can't be in limbo for 2 months and looking for other jobs despite them investing 20,000 into my training?

quote:

I was hired as a contract to hire for an surveying/engineering firm. My first real job that isn't retail since covid.

I worked as a travel position for 4 months before my contract ended. Company spent the first month training me to do my job. Company was very impressed with performance and said they we're getting more clients and wanted me on standby for at least 2 months. I would not get paid and I would not retain my benifets during that time period.

I went to other companies, since i am fully trained and they offered me jobs on the spot.

I told current boss this, and he was very dissapointed and got angry saying. "Bob, we literally paid for your training, we invested all this time and money in you and now you want to ditch. We invested over 20,000 into training you. This is really unethical and unprofessional. I encourage you to take time to think about this, and just know you will be burning bridges and you're acting like a baby that doesn't get its way"

I don't know what to do now.

AITA for looking for other jobs?

"Oh hey since we spent 20k on training, you're going to have to survive on your savings for a few months, maybe we'll give you work after that but maybe we won't... Wait where are you going?!?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Hughlander posted:

AITA (WIBTA) if i told current employer that i can't be in limbo for 2 months and looking for other jobs despite them investing 20,000 into my training?

"Oh hey since we spent 20k on training, you're going to have to survive on your savings for a few months, maybe we'll give you work after that but maybe we won't... Wait where are you going?!?!"

LOL if they didn’t make him sign a non-compete some other agreement hat keeps him on ice (which I’m sure they didn’t since they never really hired him) then they can get hosed. It would probably be cheaper for them to find make-work tasks for him or hell even just pay him to stay home than for him to take his skills elsewhere and them have to spend another $20k.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's a thing in a lot of Asia, kinda lol given the supposed stereotype of submissive Asian housewives. Not sure how much it's connected with the obligation to spend all night drinking with your boss.

I think its why its so funny. Your perfect submissive waifu has the bath drawn because you, the meat sheep, is going back out in 6 hours to earn more money you'll never see and she needs to make sure you live that long.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My dad told me my entire childhood that we were of Scottish/Norwegian descent and he was so proud of it, he even had a kilt that he'd wear to the local Scottish games, and then he did a DNA test and found out he's just an indistinct blend of French, German, and English. I've never heard him sound more disappointed. It's weird that I now have nostalgia for the culture of a country that I've never been to nor have any actual relationship with.

A brick from Scotland has zero Scottish genes. It is still from Scotland.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hughlander posted:

Two months with no work, no pay and no benefits = you don't actually have a job.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
AITA for “trauma dumping” after my friend’s bf tried to correct my word usage?

quote:

So basically I (19f) was having lunch with my friend Sarah (20f), her new boyfriend Sam (21m), and a few of our other friends.

English isn’t my first language, so I do have a bit of an accent when I say certain words, and sometimes I fumble a bit grammatically but it’s never been too bad that no one knew what I was getting at. My friends all know this, and they also know that if I’m not asking to be corrected and the sentence is understandable, they don’t really need to correct me.

Sam noticed while we were talking that I had an accent, so he asked me where I was from. I said that my dad is from the US but my mom was from Brazil, so I spoke Portuguese and sometimes Spanish at home but I only ever learned how to read/write in English.

Sam kind of laughed and then said “Your mom was from Brazil? How does someone stop being Brazilian? The word you should have used was is.”

My mom passed away when I was 12, pretty much everyone at the table (other than Sam) was aware of that. So it got a little awkward and quiet when he corrected me. I shook my head and told him that no, my mother didn’t stop being Brazilian, she just stopped being alive, so that’s why I said was.

Sarah immediately got kind of pissed at me and said that I didn’t have to trauma dump at the table just because her boyfriend corrected the word I used in a sentence. I said that I wasn’t really trauma dumping, I was just answering his question, but she said that I should have known how awkward it would get when I said something like that, and I should have just moved on without addressing it.

Lunch ended early because of the tension, and everyone else is telling me that yeah I didn’t really have to say it, but also I really was just responding to what he said to me.

Sarah’s pissed at me though, and I’ve got no idea how Sam feels about the whole thing because I don’t really know him.

I wanted to know if I messed up here? And if I should apologize.

quote:

Apparently he's an English major that's very particular about grammar and this is just a "thing he does".

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Somebody truly committed to the study of the language really ought to appreciate the nuance that "was" can imply in that context. He should think about switching majors. Engineering may be more his speed.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I recommend you listen to this while reading this loving doozy

AITA for watching TV while my daughter eats dinner?

quote:

I have a 2 year old daughter. Most days, my wife feeds her breakfast, I feed her dinner. She mostly feeds herself, but we watch her so she doesn't die, spill poo poo all over, or if she has any "requests".

I love my daughter. I would like that to be clear. She is my favourite person in the world, I spend a ton of time every day horsing around with her, teaching her letters/numbers, reading books. I put her to bed every other night, brush her teeth etc. I spend a lot of quality time with her imo.

However, she is very boring to watch eat. It takes her about 30 minutes what amounts to maybe 1.5 cups of food and drink her milk. She spends about half the time playing with her fork, singing the alphabet, or blathering nonsense.

We are also trying to be mindful of using electronics around/in front of her. In particular, no phones at the dinner table.

About a week ago, I was preparing dinner with my Airpods in, and realized that I could continue listening to music/podcasts while I was watching her eat, to make it at least a little more interesting. The other day, I decided to stick my phone in the napkin holder on the table (so my daughter couldn't see it), and watch Netflix. I thought this was genius. I only have one Airpod in, so I can still hear everything she says, I still am keeping an eye on her, I'm still sitting in front of her looking... in her general direction. But I'm watching TV. Now instead of dreading dinner time, I'm fine with it.

Anyway, yesterday, my wife came home, with my MIL and "caught me" watching TV. When she came in, I pointed to the Airpod, then to the phone, and gave a thumbs up, thinking she too would think I'm a genius.

Well, my wife's not happy. I'm not sure if it's her, or if it's her mom (who was really not happy), but she thinks I should be spending that time "with" my daughter. I think I am. I think my daughter is completely unaware that I am watching TV. So no harm, no foul.

AITA?

Even though some redditors are agreeing with OP, he is super combative in the comments.

quote:

YTA - your daughter is interacting, watching your facial expressions, taking to you, and eating. Yes it is the most boring thing ever but your being part of it is important for her developement.

OP posted:

No she's not. She's talking to the cat. Or the microwave. Or she's playing peekaboo with herself.

Screencapping some of it because I’ll be damned if I’m sorting it via mobile

teen witch fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 1, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Somebody truly committed to the study of the language really ought to appreciate the nuance that "was" can imply in that context. He should think about switching majors. Engineering may be more his speed.

:smugjones: "Reporting that valve 5423.008 that was installed yesterday on the arsenic pentafluoride line was functioning to spec."
:smugmrgw: "Don't you mean IS?"
                                                                        :smugjones:
:smugmrgw: "AND WHY ARE YOU RUNNING?"

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

teen witch posted:

That's literally the exact reason you use the past tense when referring to people, mister English major is just a dumbass for not recognizing it fast enough. Well, his GF too, etc etc.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I'm confused, why can't he just play the podcast out loud and tell her what he thinks about it. Then it might be fun and interesting to them both

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

not a problem at all and the comments he's being combative about are dumb as hell

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

teen witch posted:

Even though some redditors are agreeing with OP, he is super combative in the comments.

I see we have another zaurg

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

therobit posted:

LOL if they didn’t make him sign a non-compete some other agreement hat keeps him on ice (which I’m sure they didn’t since they never really hired him) then they can get hosed. It would probably be cheaper for them to find make-work tasks for him or hell even just pay him to stay home than for him to take his skills elsewhere and them have to spend another $20k.

Scolding is a lot cheaper though

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

teen witch posted:

This is upsetting, that poor kid

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Midnight Voyager posted:

I wonder if this guy argued. *clicks his username to see his comments- SPITS DRINK*

Our boy here has some BAD OPINIONS about rape. He thinks $26k in debt is "peanuts." He's extremely salty that people rapidly dipped his karma so hard over wanting $200 from his wife out of "principle."

He did argue. He also sucked NTA dick.

Hahahaha

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for refusing to pay my brother for gas?

Bro needs to send dipshit freeloader a link to Craigslist for some used bikes & stop giving him rides, especially after this

quote:

We buy our own food and I can’t walk to work because we live right directly in front of a highway and it’s a longer walk then it is a drive. And I split rent with him and I make $13/hour I don’t have money to be just throwing him because he can’t afford his car and is trying to put this off on me to fill his tank when it isn’t even empty and I know the distance to the shoe store and my haircut place wouldn’t nearly make him run out of gas I don’t believe that

Boo loving hoo kid, get to stepping & put those Jordans to good use

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole idea of 'You have to do X or you don't REALLY trust each other' strikes me more as telling on themselves.

A working relationship is a relationship that works. That's it. There's no one set of conditions you must fulfil like a goddamn video game sidequest.

Yeah, the thing is that whether you do split or shared finances you still wind up having to deal with the same budgeting issues. Having joint finances doesn't stop someone from micromanaging their partner's expenses and having split finances won't save you from having to negotiate shared/household expenses. It's purely a difference in how you organize and track your finances; if you're both responsible and don't hate each other things will tend to work out regardless of which system you use, and if you're not then they won't.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The question in the pic is literally literally "Hey we're going to this [BRAND NAME] store abroad." There's absolutely no reason to ask that question that they're asking.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

Even then, non-competes are one of the few areas of employment law where the system still gives employees some protection. For an entry-level position there probably wouldn't be much they can do to enforce a non-compete beyond "don't directly solicit our customers for yourself/other employers."

(On the other hand, more and more employers are writing provisions for clawing back training costs into employee contracts and courts are more open to enforcing those. But even then I think they'd have a hard time finding a judge that would agree that the employer could recoup training costs after voluntarily letting their contract expire.)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The question in the pic is literally literally "Hey we're going to this [BRAND NAME] store abroad." There's absolutely no reason to ask that question that they're asking.

How else are they going to brag that they’re going to Paris?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

How else are they going to brag that they’re going to Paris?

I think you mean "they're going to Paris to shop. For stuff they can get in the US."

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think you mean "they're going to Paris to shop. For stuff they can get in the US."

So the bougie equivalent of going to a foreign country and asking if the McDonalds or Burger King there is better?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Edmund Sparkler posted:

So the bougie equivalent of going to a foreign country and asking if the McDonalds or Burger King there is better?

Depends. Due to the way the Hermes game works it can be genuinely cheaper to fly to France for a week and buy your tat there then to try and do it in your home country. If you live in China its significantly, insultingly cheaper to fly to Japan to do it (well pre-covid anyway)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

Depends. Due to the way the Hermes game works it can be genuinely cheaper to fly to France for a week and buy your tat there then to try and do it in your home country. If you live in China its significantly, insultingly cheaper to fly to Japan to do it (well pre-covid anyway)

Oh yeah like in the US apparently it's hard to buy a Rolex due to engineered scarcity, but anywhere else you just pop into a shop and pick one.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

teen witch posted:

Christ, why even have a child if you're this disinterested in said child?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
IIRC Europeans used to fly to the US and pick up cheaper electronics because the price of a plane ticket was less than VAT + European price premium on a sack full of iPhones.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

teen witch posted:

I love how this tenderqueer bullshit is just for everybody now, even the most right-wing Republicans.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Edmund Sparkler posted:

The shop in question is Louis Vuitton, so no, not really the same at all.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Zero One posted:

The shop in question is Louis Vuitton, so no, not really the same at all.

Burgers and bags both come from cows

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Xlorp posted:

Burgers and bags both come from cows

Yes, but when I put mustard on people's LV bags they hit me.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Halloween Jack posted:

I love how this tenderqueer bullshit is just for everybody now, even the most right-wing Republicans.

Uh what?

the holy poopacy posted:

Even then, non-competes are one of the few areas of employment law where the system still gives employees some protection. For an entry-level position there probably wouldn't be much they can do to enforce a non-compete beyond "don't directly solicit our customers for yourself/other employers."

(On the other hand, more and more employers are writing provisions for clawing back training costs into employee contracts and courts are more open to enforcing those. But even then I think they'd have a hard time finding a judge that would agree that the employer could recoup training costs after voluntarily letting their contract expire.)

Yeah, both non-competes and clawbacks are stupid IMO. Pay to train people and then retain them with decent pay and benefits.

teen witch posted:

:(

hawowanlawow posted:

not a problem at all and the comments he's being combative about are dumb as hell

Is this a bad attempt at trolling?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

what he's doing is not a problem at all, and the pearl clutching pedantry about how big a cup is is disingenuous

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

What does this mean?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

appropriation of language by minority academia intended to unpack difficult topics to instead defend lovely behaviour. it's a more developed form of "telling me not to do awful things is a form of bullying"

"tenderqueer" is probably a slightly dodgy and unnecessary reference to some months back when there was a bunch of self-described tenderqueer smolbean twitter posters who all turned out to be upper-middle-class contractors for Lockheed Martin using their minority status to shield their privilege (and terrible self-serving opinions) in other areas, i.e. the thing above

personally I'm more confused by the HOA guy saying you can't post in the Louis Vuitton subreddit if your karma is low? is that a thing?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, that's a better summary than I could give. I mentioned the political stuff because this is typically associated with young lefty types, but I'm now seeing lots of chuds online claiming that, like, Nancy Pelosi is "gaslighting" them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Fascists love to play with and abuse language because language has no power over them, but is intensely important to honest and sincere people.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Lt. Danger posted:

"tenderqueer" is probably a slightly dodgy and unnecessary reference to some months back when there was a bunch of self-described tenderqueer smolbean twitter posters who all turned out to be upper-middle-class contractors for Lockheed Martin using their minority status to shield their privilege (and terrible self-serving opinions) in other areas, i.e. the thing above

From what I remember, that was just one trans guy, Ana Mardoll. He was doxxed by KiwiFarms because KiwiFarms are nazis. He was reported by KiwiFarms as being a software developer for Lockheed-Martin, a claim that was echoed around the internet, but actually just did 10-hour/week clerical work, no coding or engineering. Hardly "a bunch of upper-middle-class contractors".

DoctorWhat posted:

Fascists love to play with and abuse language because language has no power over them, but is intensely important to honest and sincere people.

"They are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
"Ultraleft disabled shitposter who turns out to be a Raytheon engineer/hedge fund heir" is a Twitter Idiot Of The Day that recurs every few months.

Edit: Whether or not someone works for Lockheed-Martin or whatever, that's just icing on the cake. It's never a good thing to write yourself a prescription that says you're allowed to be cruel to people but they're not allowed to do the same to you.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

sounds like a real class act. on the plus side, the fact that he's married means he's out of the dating pool.
Considering what an rear end in a top hat he seems to be, I wouldn't be too sure about that.